Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables seeks improvement in Clemson defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables seeks improvement in Clemson defense

Sep 11, 2012, 10:14 PM

Venables seeks improvement in Clemson defense

It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out Tuesday that new defensive coordinator Brent Venables wants more out of his defense. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm still in "wait and see" mode with Venables.

Sep 11, 2012, 10:44 PM

I like most of what I see so far, but we'll see...

I do like this part:
"The best defenses around control the line of scrimmage with four, and you play physical with your front seven. You can play coverage, you can play pressure, and you can have flexibility. So we have to get good with the foundation, with our base, before we do anything from there.”

I don't think we're there yet, but we're getting there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There has been improvement. I can already tell.

Sep 11, 2012, 10:52 PM

But you have to give him more time before Defense has a good day. Give him time to get the Defense together and teach discipline and all.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't wait till Florida State.

Sep 11, 2012, 11:13 PM

Need to figure it out before Tallahassee for sure. I don't think we can go score for score with them if our D doesn't makes some stops. Our offense wont be as potent against them I don't believe. I hope i'm wrong though.

Re: Can't wait till Florida State.

Sep 12, 2012, 1:17 AM

yes they have awesome team, but Clemson isn't a Murray State or Savannah State. Yes I Defense needs a lot more improvement, but they wont be able to double team Sammy or Nuk because of our great Wide Receiver Corp. It will be kind of hard to double team them. I think we be a little bit improved hopefully by the FSU game.

Much like Auburn

Sep 12, 2012, 2:53 AM [ in reply to Can't wait till Florida State. ]

If we can simply stop the 2-3 times, I believe our offense will wear down their defense with our high tempo into the 4th quarter. Especially early, say if we stop them first 2 series, and put together 2 13-15 play drives, we have their defense exactly where we want them.

We just can't let them keep the ball away from us like GT did. A couple 3 & outs--hopefully--could be all it takes.

Meanwhile, Beat the Paladins! Go Tigers!

So you are saying that the best Defense is a good Offense?

Sep 12, 2012, 9:26 AM

I do think that has played to our advantage. When our offense is clicking, we have had success. When our offense is sluggish, we struggle significantly.

FSU's defensive game plan

Sep 12, 2012, 6:21 AM [ in reply to Can't wait till Florida State. ]

Is going to be to not let Tajh have time to throw to Sammy or Nuk. They're going to aggressively come after him. Coach Morris will be ready with blocking schemes and plays to quickly get the ball to our receivers and backs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: FSU's defensive game plan

Sep 12, 2012, 8:59 AM

I expect we will see a lot of short stuff to the TE's and quick outs to help with the rush on Tahj. Running game will be a huge plus, and if we can get that going, too, it will be deadly. It should be a "pick your poison" offense with them. OL will be key, and so far it has looked pretty good, and it should get better as the season progresses. All that said, the FSU game will be a war. We win it a battle at a time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There has been improvement. I can already tell.

Sep 11, 2012, 11:14 PM [ in reply to There has been improvement. I can already tell. ]

I'm happy being 2-0!!! Boys are doing what they need to do to get the win. I liked how they looked on auburns' last attempt at a drive to tie the game. We shut them down.

Real interested to see how we look against triple option next week.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2012, 8:29 AM

next week? did i miss something? we have 3 games before GT.

Sep 12, 2012, 9:00 AM

Furman runs the option sometimes, too.

Sep 12, 2012, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: There has been improvement. I can already tell. ]

Furman runs the triple option, too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HUGE improvement over Kevin Steele***

Sep 12, 2012, 12:08 AM [ in reply to I'm still in "wait and see" mode with Venables. ]

Payin this guy a LOT of money...

Sep 12, 2012, 4:48 AM

and its already sounding a lot like Kevin Steele

Re: Payin this guy a LOT of money...

Sep 12, 2012, 8:21 AM

Disagree. Steele made excuses for his players and a lot of times tried to dismiss the defensive performance if the game resulted in a win. Coach V seems to be very demanding of his players to play at a championship level and that is a welcomed mentality. Average is not acceptable,dominance is rewarding

Re: Payin this guy a LOT of money...

Sep 12, 2012, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Payin this guy a LOT of money... ]

He doesn't sound anything at all like Steele.
What are you talking about? Be specific.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables seeks improvement in Clemson defense

Sep 12, 2012, 1:26 AM

I can agree with his comments on the base defense. The one thing i have trouble with. I think this defense is so worried about technique, their playing "tight", afraid to screw up. JMO, if CV would run blitz several times and really stff the run. I think this team would loosen up and have confidence. Thats all this D needs, is one DOMINATING game. Just to get them over the hump.

Go Tigers

I was reminded by someone that the opponent

Sep 12, 2012, 7:56 AM

You are preparing for and playing has a significant impact on the play of the players too. The psychological dynamics of getting the players to fcous and play at the same level each and every game is so, so difficult for any coaching staff.

This challenge is more problematic for a team that doesn't have a ton of experienced depth too because your backup plan should a player not come completely dialed in on game day is compromised.

If you are at the level of an LSU or Alabama, you can weather those lapses and ups and downs throughout the season better. We just are not even close to being at that level today.

That said, when we have FSU or Va Tech or Scar in front of us, it will be a different dynamic and then we will get a true read on just how far this defense has to go. The first game is not a good test to really know because it is the first game and a lot has to shake out.

I have a feeling we will see a much improved effort against FSU. We will see more blitzes too.

I will say that in the days of Danny, players feared not playing well because practice the following week was brutal. The NCAA rules have neutered that approach to motivate focus and effort each and every week and that is too bad.

Re: I was reminded by someone that the opponent

Sep 12, 2012, 8:33 AM

agree completely. The auburn game is not a good measuring stick because they completely changed their offense and defense. It was a guessing game going in as to what they'd run. and its hard to "get up" for ball state or furman because the players know they SHOULD beat them by a lot. However, i am overly impressed with how the offense looked. They went balls out and got the job done but the defense left a little to be desired. If not fixed not being able to stop the long runs will bite us.

Re: I was reminded by someone that the opponent

Sep 12, 2012, 9:58 AM [ in reply to I was reminded by someone that the opponent ]

Exactly how did NCAA rules negate brutal practices?

By limiting time/duration of practices...

Sep 12, 2012, 10:28 AM

You have to have time to teach and time to punish. Limited time means limited punishment. Carrot and stick approach is no longer possible. Sometimes the stick motivates as much or more than the carrot.

Agree 100% that you have to be able to work with your four

Sep 12, 2012, 9:24 AM

up front! I think that our younger players and future recruiting class will be able to provide that foundation that Venables is referring to.

Re: Agree 100% that you have to be able to work with your four

Sep 12, 2012, 10:27 AM

I still think that he hasn't shown the full capability with this defense yet. Seems real vanilla at times.

Don't get me wrong, that is still no excuse for giving up the big plays.

It's good to finally hear a Clemson DC use phrases like

Sep 12, 2012, 12:41 PM

"technique", and "fundamentals", and "control the line of scrimmage". Those are all things that have missing from our defenses the last few years, so it sounds like BV at least has his priorities in order.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic