Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Beasley excited about chance to start against Auburn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Beasley excited about chance to start against Auburn

Aug 23, 2012, 2:33 PM

Beasley excited about chance to start against Auburn

Left guard David Beasley grew up a fan of Auburn, and lived just 30 minutes from Clemson's opponent in the season opener in the Georgia Dome. As a result, he is excited to play against the team he grew up rooting for in his home state. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Fans are going to want to put my jersey on..."

Aug 23, 2012, 2:39 PM

He's going to go as hard as he can.

Man I love that attitude! Let's go Beasley! Show them why you came to Clemson. As an OL, you came to bust some heads on the DL starting with Auburn.

GO TIGERS!!!

Beat Auburn and I will get Clemson to order me one!***

Aug 23, 2012, 5:48 PM

The things I liked the most reading this were..

Aug 23, 2012, 2:51 PM

the fact that he WANTED it and worked his tail off. The other was that he worked with the nutritionist and S&C to get his weight under control.

Now, if only Region could stay away from Pizza Hut...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: The things I liked the most reading this were..

Aug 23, 2012, 4:04 PM

It's great to give positive feedback to this player, but then to start giving negative comments about another player is just not right.
Do you know Region personally? He really is a great person that has also been working his tail off....
Where does a "fan" get off saying anything they want about a player? Maybe we should all post pictures, resumes and our dietary intake to be able to wear a Clemson $20.00 shirt...then allow the team to slam us !

Picasle - Share your Images for Free!

yuotube

Picasle - Share your Images for Free!

yuotube

Good post. Unfortunately, it has to be repeated often. +1***

Aug 23, 2012, 4:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pizza is literally

Aug 23, 2012, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: The things I liked the most reading this were.. ]

one of the worst things for you in the world, and Region was spotted in the Pizza Hut in Clemson a week or 2 ago. Doesn't seem very dedicated to me.

If Clemson would pay me back for tuition that I gave them for 4 years I'd be more than happy to work my tail off and lose some weight and let people talk crap to me all they wanted to.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda . . . if's and but's were candy and

Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 PM

nuts . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Woulda, coulda, shoulda . . . if's and but's were candy and

Aug 23, 2012, 4:50 PM

I'm just saying, it's not like these guys play football just for the heck of it, they're getting room, board, a top notch education, clothes, etc and are treated like royalty on campus. Can we not expect people who are receiving all of that to do what Coach Howard asked of them and give 110%?

Aug 23, 2012, 6:09 PM

They're supposed to be perfect? Give somebody a break.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2012, 6:14 PM

Be perfect?

I don't think you have to be "perfect" to get down to expected playing weight in two full offseasons.

If you can't lose 40-50 pounds in a DI offseason program, you're putting in little to no effort whatsoever. I know people who have lost more weight just by eating better and not lifting a finger for exercise.

Re: Pizza is literally

Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Pizza is literally ]

Dude, What is wrong with you? Pizza is not the worst thing in the world for you. I'm a competitive triathlete and my girlfridn is a marathon runner qualified for Boston and we eat pizza at least once a month. This is an 18 year old kid. Somebody slams him on the internet for eating pizza and you're cheering him on. That is so wrong.

Aug 23, 2012, 4:52 PM

It's horrible for you if you're trying to lose weight. It's fine for triathletes and marathoners because you need the calories and carbs. I guess I should've specified that.

Aug 24, 2012, 5:00 PM

You seem to have missed my point, perhaps because I combined several thoughts. First, college kids are going to eat pizza. I'll probably get the name wrong, but there was a pizza place that delivered on campus when I was in school called Schanello's (sp). The delivery guy's bug was the most common site on campus. Sure, if you're trying to lose weight, it's probably not the best thing. That said, absolute adherence to a strict diet may be counter productive. You need to change your habits, not deprive yourself. These kids are burning through a lot of calories as well and depending on how you have your pizza, it might not be as bad. There are are also social reasons for going out for pizza.

The thing that gets me more so than anything is bashing any Clemson player. It's just not kosher. I don't like negative comments in general and less so behind internet screen names. It's just too easy to be thoughtlessly cruel.

Aug 23, 2012, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Pizza is literally ]

Pizza is loaded with empty carbs and saturated fat.

Ounce for ounce, it's probably one of the most calorie packed foods you can eat, unless you're eating butter or animal fat or something.

Corn syrup and margarine are much worse.

Aug 23, 2012, 7:07 PM

Butter and animal fats are not "diet foods" but they surely beat highly processed foods like the corn syrup and margarine.

No doubt you read recently about cholesterol and anti-cholesterol statin drugs to be a scam. Statins are in fact harmful for everyone but drug companies and the docs getting payoffs to promote them. This whole theory is problematic.

Humans have a hydrochloric acid type digestive system. =Carnivores.

Animals with 4 stomachs have a bacterial type digestion =Herbivores.

This is why the "paleo diets" (='cave man') are reversing obesity so quickly for so many.

Mankind is not equipped to be vegetarians. =Why so many who try it develop so many health problems.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Corn syrup and margarine are much worse.

Aug 23, 2012, 7:18 PM

I think you missed my point.

My main point was that pizza is loaded with calories and empty carbs...i.e. you can eat a day's worth of calories in pizza and still be hungry in a few hours.

Again, not sure if you're just trying to show everyone your knowledge or what. But the post was about pizza mainly. The butter and animal fats were just used for comparison's sake. Not sure the TD and the long, irrelevant explanation was necessary.

"unless you're eating butter or animal fat or something. "

Aug 23, 2012, 7:48 PM

That's what I'm replying too. Your words.

Pizza's usually full of highly processed foods, so it's not for weight loss (duh!) But when training hard and trying to lower body fat one must also be real careful to conserve lean body mass =muscles. Cause that's what our metabolism tries to use up first. Meats and some natural fat permit loss of fatty body mass.

The "calorie system" for weight loss was proposed by a Russian doc about 1875. He would measure the temperature of a vessel, place a portion of food in it and burn the food to a crisp over a Bunsen burner. He measured the vessel's temperature again and the difference in the temperatures was the calories per serving of that food. Only problem, humans do not have Bunsen burners inside. We digest foods not by combustion. Yet this is the theory most docs use for advising weight loss. Nobody ever challenged the theory so it remains even today.

Oh yeah. Lewis and Clark's bearers ate 8-10 pounds of meat/fat per day. No carbs. They kept well toned.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exercising like these guys, a pizza snack wouldn't count.***

Aug 23, 2012, 8:00 PM

Re: "unless you're eating butter or animal fat or something. "

Aug 23, 2012, 8:55 PM [ in reply to "unless you're eating butter or animal fat or something. " ]

> Pizza's usually full of highly processed foods, so
> it's not for weight loss (duh!)

Lol. Alright man, you'll win. The pizza thing was my main point. Consuming more calories than you burn results in weight gain. Period. And consuming empty carbs (i.e. foods that increase your caloric intake but don't really "fill you up"...making it so that you're eating 400+ calories every few hours) like pizza are even worse because you're unintentionally taking in way more calories than your body needs. No?

The question is...since you seem to be convinced that Region is getting the appropriate exercise...what in God's name is he eating every day? It couldn't be excessive amounts of empty calories, could it?

You seem like a smart guy. But I didn't really ask for a lesson in nutrition and dietary science/history. I'll use a better analogy to relate the actual point of my post next time. Again...I know they were my words...but it was a bad analogy, and you took it as a key part of my post...when it was just a random anecdote that was misplaced. I truly don't have time to argue the finer points of animal fat. I didn't mean to get caught up in the irrelevant points just so you can showcase your knowledge.

WRONG!

Aug 24, 2012, 3:01 PM

You wrote: "Consuming more calories than you burn results in weight gain. Period."

The CALORIE theory is 100% BOGUS!!!
(Remember, I wrote about that?)
Remember we don't have internal Bunsen burners?
We have Hydrochloric acid digestions?
=Is ANY of that the least bit familiar?

An exercising, conditioned athlete can get away with an occasional "snack" of a highly refined food like pizza. Just like you could put ONE gallon of 97 octane in your Ferrari during a fill up of premium. On average, it won't make any difference. I assure you, a pizza is 20 times more harmful for us than for Region. He's a more efficient machine.

He's an athlete. He is still eating at the training table 99% of the time. Coaches have a way to keep up with that stuff. (Region probably got to do some extra wind sprints when word of being spotted at a pizza joint got back to the coaches.) And he is being exercised to the red line.

I know this because Dabo is his head coach. Dabo accepts no less.

Re: WRONG!

Aug 24, 2012, 5:12 PM

I have to disagree with your disparagement of the calorie approach to weight loss. It has proven to be far and away the best approach I've used for controlling my weight. I don't use it when I'm training, but in the off season, I log everything I eat into Lance Armstrong's livestrong site. I also log in whatever exercise I get. I've previously plugged in my age, weight, weight loss, gain, or maintenance goal and the system calculates how much I can/should eat.

I run marathons and triathlons today, but when I first started using that system, I was injured and couldn't run at all. 45 Minutes on the elliptical or a couple hours on the bike was the most I ever got, and I didn't get that much exercise at first.

Calories burned > calories consumed = weight loss

Thanks for your contributions, tigrbybirth AND cougar11

Aug 24, 2012, 9:04 PM

Sometimes reasonable people just don't agree. Does not mean one opinion is "better."

You both communicate lucid points of view. Nothing wrong with that.

Proud of you!

Aug 23, 2012, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Pizza is literally ]

Depends. Pizza Hut, Pappa Johns, etc, yes terrible for you. Homemade wholewheat thin crust, skim mozz. and feta cheese, grilled/baked chicken and fresh herbs. Delicious and low-fat! But I doubt that's what these boys are eating!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2012, 6:41 PM

>But I doubt that's
> what these boys are eating!

Exactly.

Good for you!***

Aug 24, 2012, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Pizza is literally ]

Exactly right.

Aug 23, 2012, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Pizza is literally ]

Looks like the PC police are out today. Bottom line is this is the 2nd straight year he's reported to camp out of shape.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Aug 23, 2012, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: The things I liked the most reading this were.. ]

Lorri, I couldn't agree more. I think it's easy to make anonymous slams. In a perfect world, we would at least get real pictures of these posters so we could decide whether they need a gentle push away from the table themselves.

Aug 23, 2012, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The things I liked the most reading this were.. ]

On top of everything you said, Region lost a ton of weight over the summer. Morris even gave him a compliment on how much better he looked than he did when he reported. We need to support these guys, not knock them!

Aug 23, 2012, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: The things I liked the most reading this were.. ]

I couldn't agree more about talking down about another player. BUT, Region has been at Clemson for a while now. And somebody isn't doing their job to help Region get into playing condition. One of our coaches should take it on their selves to get that kid in shape. I'm sure he would be a plus for the team if he was in shape....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Beasley excited about chance to start against Auburn

Aug 23, 2012, 2:56 PM

Go watch the acccg when he was in for mop up duty he has a mean streak for sure!

Giving Batson props, Beasley? Be careful with that talk here

Aug 23, 2012, 3:14 PM

That's a good way to be called a pumper.

Good young man

Aug 23, 2012, 3:48 PM

Enjoyed reading this piece. Good luck to Beasley this season. Gonna have a good year.

The players are always pumping up Batson, it's the

Aug 23, 2012, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Giving Batson props, Beasley? Be careful with that talk here ]

ones that aren't familiar with strength and conditioning that are always complaining.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think if there's a coach you want the players to hate

Aug 23, 2012, 4:27 PM

then it's the S&C coach. Just sayin.

Re: I think if there's a coach you want the players to hate

Aug 23, 2012, 4:50 PM

I get your point, but we don't want the kids to hate any coach. One of my best friends for whom I have nothing but love and respect worked me out so hard this morning that I literally collapsed when he called time. It was a good 10-20 seconds before I could lift my shoulders off the handle bars.

He was giving props to Batson and the nutritionist. See NO

Aug 23, 2012, 5:45 PM [ in reply to I think if there's a coach you want the players to hate ]

reason to hate any coach. Might not like how they work you but "hate"?

His HS film was some of the best I have ever seen for a OL

Aug 23, 2012, 4:28 PM

good to hear he is getting it together. Kid has the potential to be a stud!

Love to hear this kids work ethic

Aug 23, 2012, 4:29 PM

seems like he's doing all the right things and I really hope it pays off.

If he keeps working the way he is, he has no choice but to improve.

That's what we keep saying about your posts . . .

Aug 23, 2012, 4:47 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Defenitely has potential!

Aug 23, 2012, 5:53 PM

Loved him since I saw this and glad he's doing so well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJLhpgsqrpA

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic