Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Norton promoted to first team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Norton promoted to first team

Aug 15, 2012, 12:17 PM

Norton promoted to first team

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't say I'm surprised by this

Aug 15, 2012, 12:20 PM

The coaches have been high on him all camp. Good for him. Whatever gives us the best chance to win

Re: Can't say I'm surprised by this- yep

Aug 15, 2012, 12:24 PM

sometimes what they say is coach speak but you could sort of see this one coming. if short yardage is better that would be a big plus as that has been our problem for quite a while

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best five is all I care about***

Aug 15, 2012, 12:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

It seems like if you're going to start

Aug 15, 2012, 12:26 PM

Norton and Freeman that Norton should play center and Freeman should play guard. If Norton is actually 265 as listed, he is going to get steamrolled by legitimate DTs. Unless he has put on mass since they last updated his measurables, then the point is moot.

Its not the size of the tiger in the fight but the size.....

Aug 15, 2012, 12:57 PM

of the fight in the tiger. idk just something to make everyone feel better lol

Re: Its not the size of the tiger in the fight but the size.....

Aug 16, 2012, 9:38 AM

remember one fall camp back in early 60's. Billy Weaver was stating at guard & Linebacker. For some reason, Frank Howard demoted him as a senior and put sophmore Joe Blackwell atstarter; meant Joe had to block Billy. Lasted about 3 days, Weaver was back on first team and Joe was back on second. Asked Joe what he thought and he said he thought Weaver was gonna kill him during scrimmages. Sometimes coaches do this to light a fire. Of course then first & second teams played about the same amount of time having to go both ways.Weaver was on mean ***.

I would agree too....

Aug 15, 2012, 12:59 PM [ in reply to It seems like if you're going to start ]

Maybe that's why Norton has been so many reps at C. At the same time, Freeman has been the signal caller up front for four years. He should have seen it all by now. Also, if Norton plays with great leverage and is fast off of the ball it can likely offset a weight disadvantage.

Good to hear that short yardage was improved, too. Maybe Norton and Shatley are two tenacious guards.

Norton is one of the strongest on the team, so

Aug 15, 2012, 1:18 PM [ in reply to It seems like if you're going to start ]

he isn't getting steamrolled by anyone

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It seems like if you're going to start

Aug 15, 2012, 1:48 PM [ in reply to It seems like if you're going to start ]

Norton's listed weight was over 260 when we signed him and Scout currently has him listed at 275. I'm not sure what his current weight is but he certainly looks heavier than 265.

This could be to motivate Kalon. But I Remember Tommy

Aug 15, 2012, 12:57 PM

Sharpe was billed @ 251 when he played center. I also remember the Sakerlina game when they had their all SEC NT that weighed 315 lbs and was supposed to dominate Sharpe and Sharpe handed him his ###. I know it has alot to do w/ technique and I'm trying to think positively remembering how suprised I was w/ Tommy Sharpe holding his own and even dominating people that weighed 60-70 lbs more than he did. It just seems 263 is a little undersized for an OL

Re: This could be to motivate Kalon. But I Remember Tommy

Aug 15, 2012, 1:12 PM

Yeah, he wasn't too bad when he didn't puke on the ball.

Re: This could be to motivate Kalon. But I Remember Tommy

Aug 15, 2012, 1:26 PM

LOL, I had forgotten about the puking on the ball routine !

Jeez, I had almost (finally) forgotten about that game

Aug 15, 2012, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: This could be to motivate Kalon. But I Remember Tommy ]

2003 opener against Georgia...what a disaster that game was! Year didn't end up too bad though ;)

Well, it's not happiness camp for Kalon, I guess.

Aug 15, 2012, 1:13 PM

Hope Kalon can put it together for us when we need him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Football Player Update: Norton promoted to first team

Aug 15, 2012, 1:37 PM

I've always hoped for the best with Kalon but he just doesnt seem ready to rock out with his chicken out. Everything the coaches have said over hte past few years make me think he's 'soft' and doesnt have the nasty streak that we need and love to see. However, Norton seems to be NASTY...I LOVE the combo of him, freeman, and shatley. Regardless, I just hope the best 5 are on the field and that they play much better than last year's OL.

Aug 15, 2012, 2:00 PM

The interior - Norton, Freeman, Shatley - is going to be nasty. The question marks on the edges, especially at RT, may result in a sturdy TE like MacLain getting more PT than expected. He's inexperienced and not considered much of a threat in the passing game, but he's solid in protection.

Aug 15, 2012, 2:04 PM

I like Thomas at LT. He's a gamer not a practice player. that was obvious last years game against FSU. The guy can play and had a very solid year from that point on. I love the combo of shatley, freeman, and norton. but RT has me worried a little bit. I agree completely with keeping Maclain in for a little extra nudge on the outside.

Aug 15, 2012, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Player Update: Norton promoted to first team ]

I'd be really worried about that interior, not proclaiming it an area of strength. Just my opinion, though.

Aug 15, 2012, 2:33 PM

that interior untouched/uninjured for the season will be a major strength by the end of the season.

Aug 15, 2012, 3:17 PM

Thats what I used to say when we converted DT to OL and started true freshmen. Some turned out to be good players. 2 years down the road.

Aug 15, 2012, 3:22 PM

lol nice try coot go away now

Kalon listed at 335 and Norton at 265...I hope that's wrong.***

Aug 15, 2012, 2:03 PM

Re: Kalon listed at 335 and Norton at 265...I hope that's wrong.***

Aug 15, 2012, 2:14 PM

why

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kalon listed at 335 and Norton at 265...I hope that's wrong.***

Aug 15, 2012, 2:18 PM

Kalon is overweight and Norton is underweight, jury's out on which is worse.

I'd go underweight with our speed as having a leg up

Aug 15, 2012, 3:50 PM

I've read that Davis is still sucking air pretty bad when he's out there, which negates any size advantage he has. As fast we we move on offense, I'll take undersized and faster than oversized and slow any day.

Aug 15, 2012, 3:00 PM

best move for the inetrior of the OL now if gore can get a little sharper we can be really good

Aug 15, 2012, 4:17 PM

great guy Ryan... could not have happened to a nicer guy.. he as worked very hard for this...

I don't see how working with the first team means you've

Aug 16, 2012, 9:48 AM

been promoted to first team. I think the headline is misleadiing until new depth chart is published. May the best man start but this sounds more to me like they are working on guard rotation and Norton will be rotating in and possibly Beasley as Beasley also worked w/ 1st team. The guys that are part of the 8 or 9 rotation all need to learn to play with each other- OL doesn't work with a 5 man unit 1 and a 5 man unit 2 that play solely with each other--- heck even in blowouts you usually see a mix of players from different positions on the depth chart. Freeman is going to play almost all meaningful snaps, Norton has used his RS so they have to get him some reps somewhere besides center as there won't be much of opp to play there this year. I still think Kalon is the starter right now.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic