Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Bowden on Dabo: Overrated or Underrated?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 94
| visibility 1

Football Update: Bowden on Dabo: Overrated or Underrated?

Aug 14, 2012, 9:44 AM

Bowden on Dabo: Overrated or Underrated?

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Bowden on Dabo: Overrated or Underrated?

Aug 14, 2012, 9:45 AM

Does this read like sour grapes to anyone else?

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

When t.bowden opens his mouth..

Aug 14, 2012, 9:49 AM

i lose more and more respect for him. Whiney little baby. Dabo did more with less in his first three years than tommy did in a decade...and nationally, dabo is underrated. Wouldn't have it any other way.

At the same time, Tommy, YOU WERE OVERRATED FROM DAY ONE BC YOUR DADDY'S NAME IS BOBBY.

GO TIGERS.

Re: When t.bowden opens his mouth..

Aug 14, 2012, 12:00 PM

To be fair to Bowden, I find it difficult to say that any coach making the kind of money as Swinney is "underrated"
School pay other Tot Sal Bonus
Dabo Swinney $1,833,333 $13,000 $1,846,333 $775,000

You do realize he EARNED that pay...

Aug 14, 2012, 3:43 PM

WITH A TITLE...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One thing for sure: he owned the Coots.***

Aug 14, 2012, 12:03 PM [ in reply to When t.bowden opens his mouth.. ]

Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 PM

If he would have stayed, Spur steve would have gotten him also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2012, 10:28 AM

I don't think so we lost a whole recruiting class that year. alot of them went to the coots and that's when they got better

Very much so

Aug 14, 2012, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Bowden on Dabo: Overrated or Underrated? ]

but I also think it is accurate. Dabo is what he is right now. I don't think he's overrated or underrated overall.

Why does anyone really care what CTB has to say...

Aug 14, 2012, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Bowden on Dabo: Overrated or Underrated? ]

about anything..?

Aug 14, 2012, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Bowden on Dabo: Overrated or Underrated? ]

Sounds like TB ###### Dabo with faint praise.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2012, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Bowden on Dabo: Overrated or Underrated? ]

It most certainly does. But I guess that Dabo has soured his grapes. Dabo done in Three years what TB couldn't do in Ten. And just three years ago Dabo had never been more than a WR coach in his entire coaching career. Hey Tommy, I bet Dabo would have punked your diddy also if he had been the HC coach at FSU, in one of the richest recruiting states in the south east....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was he asked if he himself was overrated?

Aug 14, 2012, 9:47 AM

That would be an interesting response...

IMO, he won with Bowden's players, then we suffered from the change itself as new players recruited and those not buying in either left or under peformed, and finally the new system started taking shape.

Keep in mind that Chad came in on year 3 also...

He one the division with bowdens players.

Aug 14, 2012, 9:48 AM

He one the ACC with his own (for the most part)

won is the loneliest number...

Aug 14, 2012, 9:50 AM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol we're number won!***

Aug 14, 2012, 9:58 AM

Uhhh..that is basically what I said.***

Aug 14, 2012, 9:50 AM [ in reply to He one the division with bowdens players. ]

Uhhh... so I was summing up what you said in less words***

Aug 14, 2012, 9:59 AM

Re: He one the division with bowdens players.

Aug 14, 2012, 3:34 PM [ in reply to He one the division with bowdens players. ]

true but TB couldn't win the division with his players

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

bowden players recruited by swinney......whats the differenc***

Aug 14, 2012, 3:47 PM

Re: Was he asked if he himself was overrated?

Aug 14, 2012, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Was he asked if he himself was overrated? ]

No body was twisting TB's arm to hire Rob spense. Rich Rod made TB look like a good HC!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

I do not think he is underrated = he is overrated per CTB???

Aug 14, 2012, 9:47 AM

Seems that he is not a much of a fan, maybe thinks that he would be in the same spot had he stayed

I get the feeling TB doesn't actually understand

what "overrated" and "underrated" mean. I honestly don't think he understood the question, which is kind of a head-scratcher in itself.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I get the feeling TB doesn't actually understand

Aug 14, 2012, 9:55 AM

I think there were several things he didn't quite get. If he had, he probably still would be our coach. I really am glad he didn't get those things, though. We are much better off with Dabo. IMO. Dabo has made the tough changes that TB wouldn't make, and it cost him his job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And another thing...

Aug 14, 2012, 9:55 AM [ in reply to I get the feeling TB doesn't actually understand ]

Tommy had a long, long leash here. He didn't win squat in 9 years, but he had three very key things going for him:

1) He beat the ##### consistenly.
2) He could recruit.
3) His last name was Bowden.

Now, a lot of people dismiss #3 as not being a legitimate reason that Clemson held on to Tommy for as long as we did, but I think it played a factor. We were so used to another guy named Bowden dominating not just us, but the rest of college football, and I honestly think that our administration thought Tommy would eventually do the same for us.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy's problem with his coaches

Aug 14, 2012, 10:12 AM

was that he lost his initial nucleus of coaches that came from Tulane with him. Rich Rod was his success.

Then, he would fire the wrong coach... Kept moving Jack Hines around... and whatever unit Hines had, it always seemed to underperform.... yet he could not fire his brother in law.

He didnt recruit Dabo did all the recruiting for him.***

Aug 15, 2012, 1:53 AM [ in reply to And another thing... ]

Re: He didnt recruit Dabo did all the recruiting for him.***

Aug 15, 2012, 10:32 AM

SO NOT TRUE we lost the whole recruiting class when he left

Division champs with mostly TB's players, Conference champs with mostly DS's players. A little sour grapes there I think.

Tommy Bowden = Bob Davie.

Aug 14, 2012, 9:53 AM

Crappy coaches that show why when utilized as "experts" on TV.

Bob Davie is the PERFECT example of that. ++++1!!!***

Aug 14, 2012, 9:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Houston Nutt = Tommy Bowden = Bob Davie***

Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Tommy Bowden = Bob Davie. ]

Wow - Davie was an excellent TV analyst, and he was an

Aug 14, 2012, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Tommy Bowden = Bob Davie. ]

outstanding defensive coach who made a huge impact on how the game is played.

I agree with TB

Aug 14, 2012, 9:55 AM

You can say Dabo was underrated coming in, but I don't think that after an ACC Championship and a national coach of the year award you can call him underrated anymore.

i agree..someone underratedd..

Aug 14, 2012, 10:14 AM

would never be on the radar for coach of the year much less earn it

Yeah, but the little "dig" Tommy through in there

Aug 14, 2012, 10:15 AM [ in reply to I agree with TB ]

is what I did not like....
have not had a losing season in 17 years.... Just seemed to be a point he was trying to say, "HEY, you fired me, but I never had a losing season."

That is why he QUIT in the middle of the season! He knew where that season was heading.

If you believe he quit

Aug 14, 2012, 10:21 AM

I've got some beachfront property in Arizona I'd love to sell you.

Re: If you believe he quit

Aug 14, 2012, 10:37 AM

I believe he had some choices to make, and that given the right choice, he could have stayed. But, yes, a forced resignation ended up the consequence.

Aug 14, 2012, 10:11 PM [ in reply to If you believe he quit ]

He had a choice I do believe. The choice I think that TDP gave him was, fire spense, or you both go!!!

Aug 15, 2012, 10:01 AM

That was the way i understood it.

I doubt it

Aug 15, 2012, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: If you believe he quit ]

he'd saved his job by throwing assistants under the bus several times already.

Maybe that is what he meant, but he sure expressed it poorly

Aug 14, 2012, 10:20 AM [ in reply to I agree with TB ]

if that is the case.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He never struck me as good in front of a microphone.***

Aug 14, 2012, 10:22 AM

How Old Is Tommy?

Aug 14, 2012, 9:57 AM

Is Tommy not old or wise enough to know when he is being baited? The answer to that question was easy. YES HE IS UNDERRATED. Anything else sounds like sour grapes. And to take it further by the losing season comments? Very telling on what kind of person Tommy really is. And by the way it had not been 17 years. More like 12. West went 3-8 in 1998. Over the next couple of years Dabo's legacy will begin to clear up.

I read that a couple of times and I'm not really sure what

Aug 14, 2012, 9:58 AM

he was trying to say.

He didn't say he wasn't overrated, but is rather emphatic that he's not underrated, which could easily be interpreted as "if anything, he may be a little overrated" (definitely not underrated).

Does it come accross that way to anybody else? I know he said the jury is still out, but jeez, he didn't exactly give him a ringing endorsement either. Maybe that was not his intent, but it could certainly be taken that way. For me, stuff like this is one of the things I never liked about TB.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

A good follow-up question would've been: Do you think Dabo

Aug 14, 2012, 9:59 AM

will get ran outta town like you were for ineptness as a head coach?

null

Lost Point On Bowden

Aug 14, 2012, 10:02 AM

What Tommy fails to see is that most Clemson people want to remember the good he did. Most generally have good things to say about him. Yes it was time for him to go, but it wasn't like "get the heck out of here you bum" or anything. He still doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, and it will continue to cost him.

... and Clemson, or is he paid off now?***

Aug 14, 2012, 10:04 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lost Point On Bowden

Aug 14, 2012, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Lost Point On Bowden ]

Very true. True indeed. Most of us do want to like him, but he keeps ruining it for us/himself.

Why couldn't he have simply praised Dabo? You hear other analysts do that without losing integrity. ??

Re: Lost Point On Bowden

Aug 14, 2012, 10:18 PM

I know I would defend Tommy for the good he did do for the facilities at DV. But never again. I lost any and all respect I had for the bum.

Aug 14, 2012, 10:02 AM

The term "overrated" and "underrated" went right over Tammy's head. I'm sure he was not meaning to belittle Dabo and his accomplishment. At the sametime, i agree with him, the jury is still out and the next two years will tell whether Dabo was the right man for Clemson.

Oh, God forbid someone doesn't worship Dabo.

Aug 14, 2012, 10:10 AM

He said he's not underrated. I would agree. I think Dabo is rated properly by most. It's not like he's usually getting trashed on TV...most seem to have a very favorable opinion of him. Thus...not underrated. Doesn't mean he stinks.

Re: Oh, God forbid someone doesn't worship Dabo.

Aug 14, 2012, 10:17 AM

Do you think Dabo is the Christian he presents himself to be?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know him.

Aug 14, 2012, 10:21 AM

And I've not collected enough information from seeing him on TV to have any sort of opinion on that.

You've not seen him speak at his church?

Aug 14, 2012, 1:02 PM

It's on youtube. I remember it being linked here on T-Net a couple years ago. I'm surprised you'be not seen it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2012, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Oh, God forbid someone doesn't worship Dabo. ]

You might want to ask some of our former high profile players who choose not to come back to campus to visit the team, including some in the NFL. I've heard some interesting comments from a couple of them along this same line. Can't say if it's true, just saying.

Re: I would guess that this could apply to all of us.***

Aug 14, 2012, 12:29 PM

Aug 14, 2012, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh, God forbid someone doesn't worship Dabo. ]

COOT!!!

Re: Agree***

Aug 14, 2012, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Oh, God forbid someone doesn't worship Dabo. ]

Tommy never could speak using complete meaningful sentences***

Aug 14, 2012, 10:12 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always rolled my eyes at his comparisions to teams

Aug 14, 2012, 7:30 PM

who lost that week. Irritating when he told you who else lost that week, along with Clemson.... like it made it OK that we lost because Texas lost the same week.

Re: Tommy never could speak using complete meaningful sentences***

Aug 14, 2012, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Tommy never could speak using complete meaningful sentences*** ]

Most retards can't!!!

He don't know his coach from a hole in the ground.

He couldn't find his own coach with both hands, a flashlight, a road map and a GPS.

His mama use to sleep with a good coach that's about as close as he's come to one.

I'm not even going to read this

All that matters is... Who the eff cares what tommy freakin bowden thinks anymore? Can we please move on!??

I absolutely agree !!!!!

Aug 14, 2012, 10:19 AM

Who cares what Tommy Bowden thinks or has to say?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Apparently someone who collects stories for TigerNet does.***

Aug 14, 2012, 10:22 AM

Re: I absolutely agree !!!!!

Aug 14, 2012, 10:27 AM [ in reply to I absolutely agree !!!!! ]

you are right on ..WHO cares what T Bowden has to say ..he had his chance ..

Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 AM

Could Tommy Bowden just please go away?

Been saying this for years....

Aug 14, 2012, 10:36 AM

Tommy Bowden is an egocentric #########. He won on average like 7 or 8 games a year. Congrats. With the talent you had, you were average. You got run out of town because of your mediocrity, replaced by someone with far less experience yet already more successful. Now you're jealous, probably somewhat butthurt it worked out so nicely, and you take little shots during these interviews claiming it's "inherited". What's inherited Tommy? WHAT? Not the athletes. They're gone. The coaches? Nope. Replaced. So.......grow a pair and be a man.

And before all you "I've met Tommy and he's a nice guy" people get on here and say I'm wrong, I've met him too. I also have had a coach that was a "nice guy" in public but an egocentric idiot when a camera's not around.

Re: Been saying this for years....

Aug 14, 2012, 10:40 AM

Sorry, the official number is a .622 winning percentage while at Clemson.....so, exactly what I said.

agreed, find me one interview where Tommy

Aug 14, 2012, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Been saying this for years.... ]

doesn't pump himself up.

usually goes something like
Q: Tommy, what do you think about the new IPod?
A: Well, when I was the coach at Clemson...

plus, he's talking i that interview, when he's asked, like the job offers are coming in and he's just shooting them down needing that certain one to make him turn in his microphone to pick up the whistle.

What exactly is wrong with anything he said?***

Aug 14, 2012, 11:03 AM

"Did what I couldn't in 9 years his first year with my

Aug 14, 2012, 11:17 AM

players."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If TB was such a great wealth of coaching insight.......

Aug 14, 2012, 11:26 AM

why hasn't he been inundated with coaching offers in the past three years. I supported TB when he was at Clemson and felt he left our program better than what he had inherited. Wish he would show some class now that Dabo has been sucessful with the program. Have some loyalty to the program Tommy and stop bashing it!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If TB was such a great wealth of coaching insight.......

Aug 14, 2012, 11:52 AM

We sure can't go there. Dabo won the ACC championship last year and played for it two years ago. Last year there were a whole lot of high profile vacancies all over the country, but who tried to hire him in the last three years? That can't be a valid argument with Bowden and Dabo.

I have two questions.

Aug 15, 2012, 10:06 AM

1. Would you trade Dabo to get Tommy back?

2. Do you believe Tommy would give up one dime of his pay to help an asst coach?

exactly where in these quotes did he bash the program?***

Aug 14, 2012, 12:53 PM [ in reply to If TB was such a great wealth of coaching insight....... ]

Aug 14, 2012, 11:46 AM

I don't know how much Tommy knows about "underrated " but he is the epitome of "overrated" .

Re: I think what he said was a pretty good assessment at

Aug 14, 2012, 12:02 PM

this time.

Gosh, dadgum, I know how to strut a sideline. Right, daddy?

Aug 14, 2012, 12:04 PM

Pompous, preppy, entitled prick.

Re: You mis-spelled 'Diddy'!***

Aug 14, 2012, 6:28 PM

Good catch. +1.***

Aug 14, 2012, 6:37 PM

Aug 14, 2012, 12:20 PM

Wonder where we would be today if his butt had been fired years before he actually was? TB, never liked the man...

I listen to some of that and.......

Aug 14, 2012, 12:39 PM

I think SOME fans are blowing this out of proportion.
It didn't sound like he was trashing Swinney at ALL.

Hmmm

Aug 14, 2012, 12:50 PM

I may be wrong but didn't Dabo have something to do with CTBs recruiting classes that he inherited?

on any given day, half

Aug 14, 2012, 12:53 PM

of the coaches are over rated and the other have are under rated.

Re: on any given day, half

Aug 14, 2012, 5:44 PM

What? No they aren't. It's not a scale of average in the middle and over under on both sides. Every coach could be overrated if they're hyped up, or underrated. Or they could all be in the middle. What you said makes zero sense. Think about it.

Aug 14, 2012, 1:02 PM

TB should have refused the question or rephrased it to answer it in a more positive light.

Over/underrated compared to what? What is the baseline "average" rating? The real questions are:
1. Did Dabo get better results with TB's players than TB?
2. Did Dabo get better results with his own recruits than TB?
The results speak for themselves.

We are hopefully anticipating that the results will be even better in the future.

"Now what puts a little luster [off of it] was that middle

Aug 14, 2012, 1:14 PM

year where they had a losing season. Gosh they hadn’t had one in a long time. 17 years or something like that."

We would've had one in 2008 if Dabo hadn't replaced him and at least some-what salvaged that season. Tommy also had several 6-7 win seasons where we really toed the sub-500 line.

I really don't think he has any room to talk there.

BOWDEN IS OVERRATED!!!

Aug 14, 2012, 3:54 PM

This is a man who not only hired Rob Spence, but refused to fire him when every Clemson fan knew he wasn't worth jack diddly squat. Since being fired by Dabo Swinney, Spence has been the offensive coordinator at Syracuse, the wide receivers coach at Temple, The offensive coordinator at Bethune Cookman, and he is now the QB coach at Temple...in other words it is a joke he was an offensive coordinator at Clemson. I don't think any big time programs our knocking on Tommy's door either.

I posted with out reading the article.

Aug 14, 2012, 3:58 PM

Now i'm even more bitter. Bowden you were terrible and would have maybe won one ACC title every 15 years if you would have stayed.

if there is anyone that knows about inheriting everything...

Aug 14, 2012, 9:25 PM

it would be tommy bowden...

My respect level for CTB continues to decline...smh*****

Aug 14, 2012, 10:06 PM

Re: REALLY CTB

Aug 15, 2012, 1:47 AM

Swinney inherited it for himself. You know good and well if it wasnt for Dabo you wouldnt have had all that talent on the field. It was Dabo that got Spiller to come to Clemson. Dabo has already done more than you ever did at Clemson. Not ONE Division Title, but TWO Division Titles and a ACC Championship. I guess he cannot get out of his head that Dabo is the better coach than he was.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:12 AM

Here's the media, trying to stir something up, again,Bowden should keep his mouth shut!!

Replies: 94
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic