Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Terry Don Phillips Announces Retirement
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Terry Don Phillips Announces Retirement

Aug 9, 2012, 11:12 AM

Terry Don Phillips Announces Retirement

Clemson University Director of Athletics Terry Don Phillips has announced plans to retire from the position he has held for 10 years. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy cow, what a bombshell! Who could've seen this coming?***

Aug 9, 2012, 11:15 AM

Absolutely...I am shocked beyond belief.***

Aug 9, 2012, 11:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Thanks for all you've done for Clemson, TDP!

Aug 9, 2012, 11:19 AM

I will admit that TDP has made some mistakes along the way. But overall, I'm very happy with where he's leaving the Athletic Progam at his retirement. Our football program is on the rise in recruiting, facilities, and coaching staff. Basketball has overall moved in a positive direction (maybe not as far as we've hoped). and he deserves some recognition for the academic progress. Hopefully, the next AD will continue TDP's progress and bring us even further.

Re: Thanks for all you've done for Clemson, TDP!

Aug 9, 2012, 11:23 AM

This is true, but you said a lot...It is time to grow and become a better, top ranked University. With the Athletic and Academic improvements we are capable of making a HUGE National Impact. Time to get out of being in the middle and move closer to the top!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I'll be that guy....

Aug 9, 2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks TDP for all of your hard work and efforts over the last decade. I may not agree with everything you have done or all of your decisions, but I do think you have done many good things for Clemson. I think the football program is on the verge of restoring its rightful place on the national stage and this will be in part to you taking a risk on a WR coach. Best of luck in the future and I wish you many naps and good fishing (yeah, had to ;) )

Re: Front Page Story: Terry Don Phillips Announces Retirement

Aug 9, 2012, 11:20 AM

Well since many knew he was on his last year with nothing coming across the desk it was no surprise. This may have been the change we really needed. It is time to quit hanging in the middle of the standings and being an average/above average University and make a POSITIVE National Impact!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We gotta wait a whole year?***

Aug 9, 2012, 11:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Throwing a bone to TNet....wait until DT next summer to give

Aug 9, 2012, 11:23 AM

us all something to beotch about! ;)

SEE YA!***

Aug 9, 2012, 11:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

takes nap immediately following announcement***

Aug 9, 2012, 12:24 PM

Re: Brad Scott is the man!***

Aug 9, 2012, 12:46 PM

I would think that Deandrea would be a prime candidate.***

Aug 9, 2012, 12:51 PM

NUK???

Aug 9, 2012, 12:54 PM

I think we need him on the field personally. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was pretty good.***

Aug 9, 2012, 1:23 PM

What about...

Aug 9, 2012, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Brad Scott is the man!*** ]

Danny Morrison?

Re: Front Page Story: Terry Don Phillips Announces Retirement

Aug 9, 2012, 2:24 PM

TDP left us on solid financial and facilities footing, and for that I'm thankful. But he seemed to have the same problem as Bowden in an inability to 'break through' to the next level. This article touts 13 ACC Championships in 10 years--I honestly don't think that's much to brag about. That's 1.3 Championships a year out of a possible what, 19 sports? (Both track and fields count twice, indoor and outdoor.)

Shoulda been fired for foolishly granting $4M Bowden buyout.

Aug 9, 2012, 5:21 PM

By the time that TDP agreed to give the perennially upper-mediocre Bowden a $4M buyout, the Arkansas newspapers and ESPN had already reported that Arkansas' board of trustees had rejected Bowden as "a lateral move" from Houston Nutt. Bowden had no option but to stay at Clemson, yet TDP granted Bowden a buyout. Bowden was not (and after over 100 D-1 head coaching changes, obviously still is not) a desirable coach for big-league programs. TDP should have been fired for granting Bowden that unnecessary buyout and putting Clemson in a hole.

Even if Barker told TDP to grant the foolish $4M buyout, TDP should have convinced Barker that it was the wrong thing to do.

The rumors were that the BOT tried to fire TDP but his contract was airtight. I doubt that TDP was offered the choice to stay.

Agree!***

Aug 9, 2012, 6:53 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have preferred

Aug 9, 2012, 6:49 PM

Barker retiring and keeping TDP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic