Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Changing Another Piece of the Culture
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Changing Another Piece of the Culture

Jul 25, 2012, 11:22 AM

Changing Another Piece of the Culture

Changing Another Piece of the Culture
Years ago Lou Holtz said his biggest challenge at South Carolina was changing the culture. In many ways he was right and it's probably the same for many coaches around the country.

At Clemson,
flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good read!***

Jul 25, 2012, 11:35 AM

I've always thought we had a good chance with any recruit

Jul 25, 2012, 11:48 AM

with the reputation our coaches have for recruiting top talent. It does appear that the bar has been raised though with the 2013 class. Scary thing is, it still isn't over. Buckle up guys and gals.

Urban Meyer Comments and Surprise

Jul 25, 2012, 11:52 AM

I watched the Auburn Clemson game yesterday on ESPNU. During the game Meyer said he got on to his recruiters when he first got to Florida cause they were losing recruits to Clemson (i.e. Spiller). He went on to say he can see why now that he has been to Clemson. Awesome comments

Yeah, Meyer's story was pretty good...

Jul 25, 2012, 2:03 PM

I particularly liked the answer that Meyer said his UF recruiters gave him when he asked how they were losing players to Clemson. It was something to the effect of "Coach, have you ever been to Clemson?"

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Yea good stuff. To be fair though... the swamp is a cool

Jul 25, 2012, 2:32 PM

place. Weather sucks though... Nothing beats Clemson.

Dabo was borderline hot seat last year...

Jul 25, 2012, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Urban Meyer Comments and Surprise ]

Clemson was loaded with talent and Urban was looking for work. He would quit the OSU job today and come to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Urban Meyer Comments and Surprise

Jul 25, 2012, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Urban Meyer Comments and Surprise ]

I hope they have this Meyer sound bite playing when recruits are visiting. Or maybe the quote listed somewhere.

Re: Urban Meyer Comments and Surprise

Jul 25, 2012, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Urban Meyer Comments and Surprise ]

Yep, I've been to the swamp also and liked it a lot......of course part of that was the fact they beat south carolina 56 to 3 or something like that....that can make any place be awesome

Totally psyched but recruiting hasn't been the problem.

Jul 25, 2012, 2:07 PM

Totally psyched about Pagano. Swinney & crew can recruit with the best. But Bowden recruited well (with Swinney's help) in Bowden's latter years with similarly ranked classes. The problem at Clemson hasn’t been the lack of player talent. It’s been the inability of the coaching staff to get the team to play up to, or exceed, the level of the player talent. Clemson has lost more than it’s reasonable share of games to less-talented teams (like NCSU, GT, & WVU). Hopefully the staff gets that turned around, with the addition of Venables and a more balanced team.

Rivals class rank, (5-yr-avg. class rank), AP final poll rank.
2012: #14
2011: #8, (#18), #22
2010: #19, (#20), unranked
2009: #37, (#19.6) #24
2008: #12, unranked
2007: #16, #21
2006: #16, unranked
2005: #17

How many game did we lose for lack of a FG kicker?***

Jul 25, 2012, 2:35 PM

During the last 5 of TB tenure.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But Razz, you have to admit that over the last 3 years,

Jul 25, 2012, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Totally psyched but recruiting hasn't been the problem. ]

We've done a better job at coaching them up. This ain't the same old regime and I think you'd be foolish to expect the same results. BTW, final AP poll rankings have very little reflection on how well players are coached. Who wasn't expected to go Pro and does is a better meter. Besides, teams with the most 4 and 5 star recruits statistically end the year ranked higher. Period. Now that we have more of those coming on board, one would logically expect us to finish stronger. It's more math than "coaching up."

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Dunno. Got any statistics to support your assertions?

Jul 26, 2012, 2:45 AM

If Venables is as good as Morris, I expect Clemson will live up to its recruiting rankings, rather than underperforming.

The bottom line for me is that Dabo and Bowden similarly lost far more than their reasonable share of games to teams that had inferior player-talent and almost never upset teams that have superior player talent. As a Clemson fan, I'm ever-hopeful that will change.

Re: Totally psyched but recruiting hasn't been the problem.

Jul 25, 2012, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Totally psyched but recruiting hasn't been the problem. ]

I've actually done some pretty in depth numbers analysis on this very subject and if you look at the rankings for 2002 on (earliest available) you will see that these class rankings were not very good. If you look at an overall talent ranking based on the previous 4 years recruiting (I weight the average because seniors effect overall talent more than freshmen) you will see that the final rankings are pretty in line with this average. The major exception is 2008 when TB was rightfully fired. Following that we get the #37 ranked class (Dandy Dozen) which comprise our senior group this year. This is not good for overall talent because our senior leaders are the worst ranked recruiting class we have, but the other 3 are pretty good. Next year we will finally have a team in which all 4 classes were highly ranked, and good coaching to boot.

I need to change my expectation.

Jul 25, 2012, 2:26 PM

I expect to beat South Carolina every year. Do I need to change that?

Only change if you want me to shoot you.***

Jul 25, 2012, 3:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Changing Another Piece of the Culture

Jul 25, 2012, 4:15 PM

Hey Mickey,

I was troubled by the article in the Greenville news recently by Bart Wright criticizing Dabo for not giving Sammy discipline yet for his problem back in May. I have been a manager of people for nearly 40 years and most of that time has been spent in senior level HR roles. I can tell you that there is almost always grey area to consider when looking at disciplinary situations, and I fully understand why Dabo is taking his time to see how Sammy comports himself. Mr. Wright cites Dabo's delay in announcing discipline as a lack of leadership. I would view it as an abundance of wisdon.

Always enjoy your blog - keep up the good work.

40 years in Sr HR postions?

Jul 26, 2012, 9:21 AM

Ugh....sorry'bout that ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Changing Another Piece of the Culture

Jul 25, 2012, 10:40 PM

Well said. I am not shocked, because I get it. I think Dabo, et. al., cause a lot of recruits to "get it". Things are looking very bright for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic