Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Friday Email Bag
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Friday Email Bag

Jul 20, 2012, 10:57 AM

Friday Email Bag

Friday Email Bag
Each Friday I publish your comments and answer your questions.  To submit a comment or questions please email me at mickeyplyler@hotmail.com.

Mickey,

Our OL seems fairly solid-at the starting spots anyways except for LG and RT. Timothy seems to be a decent fit at R

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Friday Email Bag

Jul 20, 2012, 11:40 AM

In reguards to the live Tiger, at one time there was a tiger at the colombia zoo. Sign on enclosure said that it was the Clemson Mascot. Don't know if this is what he was referring to. Saw the Tiger in late 70's or early 80's...getting old an memory fades...

dont remember a tiger

Jul 20, 2012, 1:28 PM

I do not remember a tiger on campus going back to as early as 1964....however a bunch of guys wanted to bring a tiger to the Gator Bowl when we played Pittsburgh in 1977 and had some sort of arrangement to rent one (for lack of a better word) which the Gator Bowl shot down....might be wrong but dont remember one...do remember the tiger on a moped trying to run over a chicken someone brought in for a USuC game in the mid 70's

Jul 20, 2012, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Friday Email Bag ]

Actually the story as I remember it was this tiger at the Riverbanks Zoo (Columbia zoo) was the one that made a footprint somewhere in the enclosure at the zoo that they took a mold of and that mold was used as the basis for the tiger paw logo we know and love today. complete with the small indention at the bottom, etc. Pretty sure that is what the sign on the enclosure said back in the 70s, but I was just a kid then so maybe I'm mis-remembering part of the details.

History of the Paw

Jul 21, 2012, 8:01 AM

http://www.clemson.edu/features/article.php?article_id=2298

I had read somewhere else that the paw print came from a tiger at the St. louis zoo.

Here is a portion:
Former University President R.C. Edwards led a push in 1969 to change Clemson’s image. Athletic officials were concerned the tiger wasn’t distinctive enough from the University’s counterparts like Auburn, Louisiana State and Missouri, all who have tiger mascots. Henderson Advertising Agency, owned by alum James Henderson ’44, was picked to come up with a new logo concept.

During the creative process, the Henderson team called local and national zoos for suggestions. Two came back.
1.Get a close-up photograph of a tiger.
2.Make a plaster cast.

The Smithsonian Natural History Museum in Washington, D.C., provided a picture, and the Natural History Museum of Chicago sent a plaster cast of a tiger’s paw. If you’ve ever wondered why the Clemson Tiger Paw has a small fishhook-shaped indention on the base, well, that’s a scar from a wound the tiger — whose paw was used to make the cast — had received

The first tiger at the zoo in Columbia was "Happy" the tiger

Jul 20, 2012, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Friday Email Bag ]

that used to be housed in a cage outside of a giant Exxon station and car wash in Columbia (now Constan Car Wash on Gervais St.). It was a relatively small cage. In hindsight I doubt this particular cat was very happy until he got transplanted to the zoo when it opened. The paw print mold from him for our logo may very well have some merit to it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The tiger exhibit at River Banks Zoo...

Jul 21, 2012, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Friday Email Bag ]

is sponsored by Clemson University. I saw the plaque when I was there last month.

I'm not buying the answer to the scheduling issue.

Jul 20, 2012, 2:12 PM

First of all, we already know the home team for the coot game. Surely the admin would not tolerate the ACC setting us up for a 4-home game schedule in the years we play at SCar. Therefore, we already know when to schedule the home part of a home-and-home.

The real issue is that we'd have only six home games whenever we played SCar in Cootlumbia and at the other BCS opponent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Ole Miss would have been great road game experience ...

Jul 20, 2012, 5:20 PM

I've read Ole Miss is one of top 5 road game venues in country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2012, 8:50 PM

Just an FYI for Fahmarr and Ray Ray. Fahmarr is living with a family in Clemson and will hopefully be attending Daniel this fall. Ray is looking for work in Clemson and will hopefully if all goes well be here soon.

Both are doing fine. We really hope this works out as it would mean a lot to Fahmarr, it wasn't so great for him in ATL as he doesn't have the kind of support there that he gets here. He has several families including mine that he stays with here and is a wonderful kid who just needs a hand up in life. He would like to attend Clemson and get his degree there. By all means please pray this happens as it's still not definite yet.

Awesome!

Jul 21, 2012, 8:39 AM

You're a genuine Clemson man.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

God bless you and those involved. All in my prayers.***

Jul 21, 2012, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Friday Email Bag ]

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic