Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Nevada head coach Chris Ault talks Chad Morris and the Pistol
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Nevada head coach Chris Ault talks Chad Morris and the Pistol

Jul 14, 2012, 11:38 AM

Nevada head coach Chris Ault talks Chad Morris and the Pistol

Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris visited University of Nevada head coach Chris Ault in the spring to learn more about the Pistol, and Ault tells TigerNet the formation can help Clemson's running game, even in short-yardage situations. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really excited

Jul 14, 2012, 12:11 PM

To see what the Chad can do with a pistol AND a shotgun... I expect the Tigers to come out guns 'a blazing' against Auburn!

All puns aside, it is exciting to see the Tiger O evolving and not settling for last year's success.

Re: Really excited

Jul 15, 2012, 1:24 AM

He probably brought it in to keep bellamy from running into Tahj, oh well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The big cultural difference with Sweeney and company is....

Jul 14, 2012, 12:42 PM

They don't sit back and rest. They are always pushing and learning and willing to adjust. Venables is in that same mold. Very, very encouraging and exciting.

Spot the ball!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe lay off the huffing for a little..***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Maybe lay off the huffing for a little..***

Jul 14, 2012, 1:02 PM

Sure thin soy bean...

Funny..

Jul 14, 2012, 1:12 PM

;)

Just know that its Swinney, not Sweeney

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

$&$$@&@$@ auto spell checker :-)***

Jul 14, 2012, 1:16 PM

Re: Maybe lay off the huffing for a little..***

Jul 14, 2012, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Maybe lay off the huffing for a little..*** ]

soy wanker and his words of wisdom. Go somewhere else and do what you do best.

I can see

Jul 14, 2012, 1:06 PM

the Pistol helping with the power running game but I'm not sold on the idea of it helping with our short yardage running attack. I just feel like it gives the DL more time to penetrate the OL and get into the backfield to stop the RB.
Personally, I would prefer most short yardage situations to come out of the Power I... hence the word 'Power'.
What do you guys think? I mean, would the QB turn into more of a fullback? Anyway, I hope to see it this year, but not against Auburn!

Re: I can see

Jul 14, 2012, 1:10 PM

If we have the big uglies to inflict our will on the line, I agree with you.

If not, then the element of surprise needs to be our tool. Keeping them guessing and the individual athletic ability to make moves/plays is going to have be our asset.

I would love nothing more than to do what Ga Tech does, but we just don't have the line yet. Not sure why, but it is obvious we don't.

Tech has a meth lab?***

Jul 14, 2012, 1:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right, Tech's OL has been downright impressive

Jul 14, 2012, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: I can see ]

and it's frustrating to me that we can't be at least on their level or close to where they are. I'm hoping that Caldwell shows me something this year.

Re: You're right, Tech's OL has been downright impressive

Jul 14, 2012, 2:45 PM

Can you say holding and illegal chop blocks?

Re: You're right, Tech's OL has been downright impressive

Jul 14, 2012, 5:38 PM [ in reply to You're right, Tech's OL has been downright impressive ]

GT does nothing but chop block. You get chopped enough and your first step off the line will be backward not forward as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attack it. Blow it up. Dictate to them instead of reacting.***

Jul 14, 2012, 5:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how would you defend against a chop block?***

Jul 14, 2012, 7:19 PM

Stomp on their forearm! Kick em in the teeth!

Jul 14, 2012, 7:22 PM

Unintentionally though.... :)

Hit 'em BEFORE they hit you. If not, give enough so you

Jul 14, 2012, 8:44 PM [ in reply to how would you defend against a chop block?*** ]

come down in the middle of their back with everything... knees, elbows, feet, whatever. Chop blocks are something that should have been illegal a long time ago. If someone wants to chop, time to split wood.... or spines.

and while you're breaking backs the running back has run by***

Jul 15, 2012, 1:10 AM

LBs, DBs,... They get to play, too.***

Jul 15, 2012, 1:14 AM

my question was how would you get your line to defend it

Jul 15, 2012, 9:32 AM

Also, it's not like our db's or secondary have been awesome at helping out. You have to be able to disrupt the triple option behind the line of scrimmage or they're just going to chip away at you 3 to 4 yards at a time. Then they gash you with play action. Of course last year everybody gashed us with something.

You only have to do it for 1 or 2 possessions...

Jul 15, 2012, 6:49 AM [ in reply to and while you're breaking backs the running back has run by*** ]

They will get the message and become a little more reticent or run out of players due to injury.

Re: Hit 'em BEFORE they hit you. If not, give enough so you

Jul 15, 2012, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Hit 'em BEFORE they hit you. If not, give enough so you ]

You dudes are giving GT way more credit then they deserve. They don't have the OL or RB's to run ball straight down you're throat. They run around the defense. And the OL uses CUT blocks, not chop blocks...there is a difference and it is legal...to take DL out of the play while moving laterally. They don't use cut blocks when they run it straight...a body on the ground is a road block, not a hole.

At the same time I'm glad y'all play em every year and not us. As good as our front 4 were last year our LB's and secondary sucked against the option.

To the OP, those boys look OK as far as lineman go. They're big boys with a lot of mass which is what you want. The biggest question is are the conditioned enough to go full speed for 4 quarters...or 60 plays 15 seconds at a time!

Time will tell.

Re: how would you defend against a chop block?***

Jul 15, 2012, 12:15 PM [ in reply to how would you defend against a chop block?*** ]

In the NCAA, cut blocking is allowed as long as the block is no more than five yards away from the line of scrimmage and it is inside the tackle box[. So technically the tackle should not be able to take more than a step or 2. Tech, in particular, pushes the tackle way down the line. I don't remember seeing a team that gets away with pushing it so far laterally so techs offense might not be so potent if officiated by a group outside the ACC--you know--ones who have a brain!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2012, 12:26 PM [ in reply to how would you defend against a chop block?*** ]

From SB Nation

The NCAA's clarified its ruling on cut blocks, which are legal, as part of a new rules package that included fiddling with kickoff locations. The description:

The rules panel also approved new wording in the football rules book regarding blocking below the waist. Offensive players in the tackle box at the snap who are not in motion are allowed to block below the waist legally without restriction. All other players are restricted from blocking below the waist with a few exceptions (for example, straight-ahead blocks).
From SB Nation
Wide receivers and wingbacks lined up outside of the tackles thus may not crack back low on engaged defenders, but linemen can still block low, provided they do so mano e mano. This also guards against cut blocks occurring away from the action entirely, when the risk of injury comes with no real tactical reward.

None of this really changes chop blocks, which were illegal anyway (though not flagged often enough, Frank Beamer and Tom O'Brien agree), but Tech will need to study up to avoid letting its option brethren down.

So basically, if the rules were adhered to then your linebackers could really be effective as back in the 80's. The morons we have officiating can't tell the difference between a tackle and 160lb wideout---apparently

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2012, 12:30 PM [ in reply to how would you defend against a chop block?*** ]

From SB Nation

The NCAA's clarified its ruling on cut blocks, which are legal, as part of a new rules package that included fiddling with kickoff locations. The description:

The rules panel also approved new wording in the football rules book regarding blocking below the waist. Offensive players in the tackle box at the snap who are not in motion are allowed to block below the waist legally without restriction. All other players are restricted from blocking below the waist with a few exceptions (for example, straight-ahead blocks).
From SB Nation
Wide receivers and wingbacks lined up outside of the tackles thus may not crack back low on engaged defenders, but linemen can still block low, provided they do so mano e mano. This also guards against cut blocks occurring away from the action entirely, when the risk of injury comes with no real tactical reward.

None of this really changes chop blocks, which were illegal anyway (though not flagged often enough, Frank Beamer and Tom O'Brien agree), but Tech will need to study up to avoid letting its option brethren down.

So basically, if the rules were adhered to then your linebackers could really be effective as back in the 80's. The morons we have officiating can't tell the difference between a tackle and 160lb wideout---apparently. The fact that Tec uses wide line splits is to their advantage with the 2 yd extension beyond the outer shoulder. Perhaps a rule change for that would be in order as well.

Love watching Nevada's pistol offense. Keeps Ds off guard.

Jul 16, 2012, 2:06 AM

Ault's pistol-O is such a thing of beauty when it's run well (like when Colin Kaepernick was pulliing the trigger) that for the last 4 years I've been watching Nevada every chance I get. The pistol-O not only keeps the D guessing about direction, but it also inherently masks whether it's going to be a run or a pass, since the QB is essentially lined up in a shallow shotgun such that he can either pass or hand-off.

Ault's pistol has been predominantly run-first with a fair amount of option and QB designed runs, but Ault hasn't had much receiver-talent. I can only imagine how exciting his offense would be Clemson's caliber of receivers. It'll be interesting to see how much (if any) of Ault's pistol, Morris adopts. There seems to be a bit of a learning curve. UCLA tried to adopt Ault's pistol-O and did poorly. I expect Morris to adopt a few nuggets.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic