Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: ACC teams have two years to gain respect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 78
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: ACC teams have two years to gain respect

Jun 28, 2012, 2:22 PM

ACC teams have two years to gain respect

College football has finally agreed on a playoff and the ACC will now have a two-year window to become relevant nationally. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Article. You're right! I think we have teams

Jun 28, 2012, 2:44 PM

in our conference capable of beating anyone in the nation at any given time. Just have to go out and do it!

Is there a provision in our TV contract that states we can

Jun 28, 2012, 2:45 PM

renegotiate the deal if an ACC teams wins the NC in the next couple of years?

5 year lookin on the ACC/TV deal.

Jun 28, 2012, 3:24 PM

So, no.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, the deal Swofford negotiated sux... real big.

Jun 28, 2012, 3:27 PM

We are betting the farm on a conference run by someone who doesn't agree that football is the economic driver in the big picture.

Not good. Not good at all.

PS: Thanks for the response. I'm sure bryanttiger's response will be, "Hey, who thumbed me down. I'm gonna cry to Crump."

Message was edited by: Clayton Big Spee®

What?

Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 PM [ in reply to 5 year lookin on the ACC/TV deal. ]

5 year look in is renegotiating the contract based on better performance and other factors.

Re: 5 year lookin on the ACC/TV deal.

Jun 29, 2012, 9:19 AM [ in reply to 5 year lookin on the ACC/TV deal. ]

TV has not one thing to do with winning on the field

Re: 5 year lookin on the ACC/TV deal.

Jun 30, 2012, 1:06 PM

I disagree. TV brings more money, this better facilities, etc. Also, the best athletes will want to go where they can be seen. TV brings Clemson more exposure to high school players outside our region.

100% correct, just WIN***

Jun 28, 2012, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Good Article. You're right! I think we have teams ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My post is right above yours yet you didn't respond.

Jun 28, 2012, 3:20 PM

YOu keep sidestepping this issue.

I think it's b/c you don't know what you're talking about.

Go tell Crump I TD'd you.

Re: My post is right above yours yet you didn't respond.

Jun 29, 2012, 9:23 AM

You can cry to Crump now

Re: Front Page Story: ACC teams have two years to Just Win

Jun 28, 2012, 2:47 PM

Tigers!

hopefully this means two years to fix officiating etc

Jun 28, 2012, 2:54 PM

I certainly hope Swoffy demands as much improvement from the conference itself as he expects from our members performance in the future. As it stand we are still a second rate conference with dismal officiating, terrible video production services and NC centric league promotion. Until these issues are fixed the ACC will not be considered a premier conference or deserving of a real seat at the table.

ACC Basketball refs protect the higher ranked teams...

Jun 28, 2012, 2:55 PM

I guess the ACC football refs will have to start doing the same...which will be quite difficult since they are used to screwing Clemson.

Re:I guarantee you that the three or four teams, in the

Jun 28, 2012, 3:19 PM [ in reply to hopefully this means two years to fix officiating etc ]

conference, who start the fastest, will get the calls later in the season. It behooves us to get out of the gate fast.

It would actually help for it to get worse and favor FSU,

Jun 28, 2012, 5:37 PM [ in reply to hopefully this means two years to fix officiating etc ]

Miami, Clemson, and VT in a big way to prevent top dogs from getting beat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC is just fine.

Jun 28, 2012, 3:01 PM

These things go in cycles. Less than 10 years ago both LSU and Bama were a shell of where they are now.

Just 2 years ago who thought Florida could, honestly, be picked 4th in their division and some may even argue Vanderbilt would be ahead of them.

While I think the ACC has some serious issues, I think Clemson should always explore how to make our situation better....the fact is the ACC has major Universities that will ALWAYS be involved in a football NC scenario. If the ACC were "shut out", the college football world would not be as great as it is now. As 'high' as the SEC is right now, if folks on the east coast did not care about college football - they will lose money in the long term.

The ACC needs to fix some problems we have, and that can't be forgotten - college football has to have our schools to keep a national presence (as we need all the other major conferences involved obviously).

This is getting tiresome.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

When was the ACC's up cycle?

Jun 28, 2012, 4:07 PM

I remember FSU's up cycle when they owned the conference and I remember Clemson owning the conference, but I don't remember the conference ever being a top conference in football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First couple of years that Miami and VT were in. FSU end

Jun 28, 2012, 5:41 PM

of their up cycle then also. After this, Coker, and B.Bowden who held on too long crushed the programs at the top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: ACC teams have two years to gain respect

Jun 28, 2012, 3:05 PM

I think this is the year. The ACC will have 4 teams finish with 2 or less losses.

Care to share those four teams?

Jun 28, 2012, 3:14 PM

Just curious!

Re: It is quite possible that we will not be one of them.***

Jun 28, 2012, 3:26 PM

Re: Care to share those four teams?

Jun 28, 2012, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Care to share those four teams? ]

I feel like the cards are on the table for Clemson, FSU, VT, and UNC to finish with 10-2 records or better.

Fedora in his first year you say?? Interesting.

Jun 28, 2012, 4:28 PM

I want to say Miami, but I could see it being NCSt perhaps?

Re: Fedora in his first year you say?? Interesting.

Jun 28, 2012, 4:39 PM

UNC's schedule is not too bad plus they have some good pieces. State could do it but they would have to win two of four against FSU, @Clemson, @Miami, and @UNC, which I don't see them doing.

Jun 28, 2012, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: ACC teams have two years to gain respect ]

Already off work and drinking are ye?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem with the ACC perception is, for some stupid

Jun 28, 2012, 3:06 PM

reason, people only judge the strength of the conference based on how Miami and/or FSU are doing. This should read: "FSU and UM have two years to REgain respect"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta disagree. People certainly noticed that the ACC Champ

Jun 28, 2012, 3:15 PM

lost to a Big East team by 50 bazillion points on National TV last season. They also noticed a couple of years earlier when the ACC Champ lost to an FCS school.

We can't blame the perception on FSU and Miami.

Factually, the ACC needs SOMEBODY (FSU, Miami, Clemson, or VT) to step up and kick everyone else's buttocks for a season or three. I vote for Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed...you can't lose the OB by half a hundred

Jun 28, 2012, 4:03 PM

and not get attn

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not talking about attention but the perceived strength

Jun 28, 2012, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Gotta disagree. People certainly noticed that the ACC Champ ]

of the ACC goes the way of FSU and Miami.

Re: The problem with the ACC perception is, for some stupid

Jun 28, 2012, 3:21 PM [ in reply to The problem with the ACC perception is, for some stupid ]

This just isn't true at all. ACC as a whole has been horrible against OOC opponents, particularly top 25 and in bowl games...

Who I pull for in a game is going to affect the outcome?

Jun 28, 2012, 3:09 PM

Also - according to DH - Dabo will be hurting the entire ACC if he makes Sammy sit out the Auburn game!

I guess Sammy should play then. I wouldn't want to hurt the ACC.

ACC teams have two years to gain respect- It's over for us

Jun 28, 2012, 3:10 PM

just saw where there will be a Hello Kitty line of CU related merchandise this year. So we can forget any respect or ever being taken seriously

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Folks, he isn't BSing

Jun 28, 2012, 3:15 PM

http://www.tigersports.com/clemson-hello-kitty.aspx

I think Alabama is doing ok with theirs...

Jun 28, 2012, 3:35 PM

http://www.plushland.com/block-after-info-column.html

hello kitty is EVERYWHERE, not surprised or embarassed by this

Re: I don't believe that. I think it will work out better

Jun 28, 2012, 3:20 PM [ in reply to ACC teams have two years to gain respect- It's over for us ]

for us.

I have always...

Jun 28, 2012, 3:14 PM

...cheered for ACC teams when they played out of conference games (probably a residual effect of growing up in SEC-centric TN) and have always encouraged my fellow CU alums and fans to do the same. But stubbornness and hatred runs deep in Tiger Nation for our brothers (with some good reason). This article nails it, we need everyone in the ACC to do well against OOC competition.

Re: No doubt about it, we are mule headed. Bred into

Jun 28, 2012, 3:28 PM

us.

You pull for them and I'll pull against them

Jun 28, 2012, 4:12 PM [ in reply to I have always... ]

I guess we cancel each other out. Do you really think if I start pulling for them the outcome of the games will change? If not, why do you care.

I'll enjoy watching them lose and then beech about them being weak #### pansies.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, but you should want them to win

Jun 28, 2012, 10:08 PM

b/c that is what gives us, via our schedule, credibility. You must not live around a bunch of SCar fans who constantly throw the ACC in your face and say we would only win 3 games with their schedule. How can you pull against our ACC opponents?

I think I can pull for ACC schools EXCEPT

Jun 28, 2012, 3:36 PM

ga tech. I have a special hatred for them.

they have 12 years not 2 as that is when this deal is up

Jun 28, 2012, 3:53 PM

if the ACC goes 6-0 against the SEC this year and next, it shouldn't mean squat about 2014, just like the opposite shouldn't. Historical data and conference affiliation shouldn't mean anything to anyone serving on the selection committee-- if it does, then they need to be removed. Every year, every team starts 0-0 --- earn it from there. I just hope it doesn't take until the end of this deal for it to expand but I'm afraid it might due to the way the bowls will be tied in.

Is JiUmbo Fisher an oxymoron. He short.***

Jun 28, 2012, 3:55 PM

I'm not going to worry about the rest of the conf at this pt

Jun 28, 2012, 4:01 PM

it's up to us to prove WE belong and WE can back up a conf title with a better yr. I question the commitment of the rest of the league to truly excel long term.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

people that say this forget one thing

Jun 28, 2012, 7:29 PM

People take strength of schedule into account. If there are 5 one loss teams and an ACC school is one of them who do you think will be fifth place.If the other ACC teams are perceived to be weak you can bet that the ACC team will be fifth. Assuming of course that one of them isn't from the Big lEast. No one is asking you to be a fan of other acc schools. You should care though when those other schools are diluting our conference. Adding Pitt and Syracuse won't help us there though

OMG A PURPLE SHIRT REALLY!!!!!!!

Jun 28, 2012, 4:04 PM

My kid came downstairs this weekend with the only purple Clemson tee shirt I ever bought. 20 years later it still looks almost new

Spot on/Great Article just several years late

Jun 28, 2012, 4:06 PM

Unfortunately, we spent way too long lauding how we were "one play away" from making a watered down ACC title game that didn't have the same longterm affect on the program as our OOC games and Bowl games

Jun 28, 2012, 4:14 PM

SEC, Big-10, PAC-12 every year and the Big-12, ACC and anybody else fighting in the media for the fourth seat every year. Just win.

yes, so simple - Just Win!

Jun 28, 2012, 4:19 PM

Tigers! don't worry about other teams!

Jun 28, 2012, 4:41 PM

This man speaks words of truth. As an orange paw fan I always pull for ACC teams against non ACC opponents and can't understand why every ACC fan dosen't.Whats good for the conference is good for every school in the conference.

Clemson has won the acc once in 20 yrs, yet that is Swoffie'

Jun 28, 2012, 4:44 PM

Fault. Just win. Swofford added Miami, FSU and VT all football schools, is it his fault they quit winning? Pitt has won how many NC'S? Just win is all you gotta do.

Re: Clemson has won the acc once in 20 yrs, yet that is Swoffie'

Jun 28, 2012, 4:52 PM

swoffie negotiated a pi$$ poor tv contract - his fault

swoffie added two schools that do not increase tv negotiations - his fault

swoffie added 9 game conf schedule - his fault

swoffie put our games on freaking raycom aka 1980 ESPN due to his son - his fault

need I go on?

Winning cures all

Jun 28, 2012, 4:57 PM

If teams were winning Tv contract would take care of itself. Can't complain about not getting great contract like SEC when you're not winning like them. Not Swoffie fault ACC has sucked in bcs games

Re: Winning cures all

Jun 28, 2012, 5:02 PM

This is true. But the point many of us are making is that soon winning isn't going to cure all because no other conference are going to be scheduling those OOC games once the new playoff starts and 9 game conf schedules kick in.

At that point the ACC would have to earn respect by beating up on each other and other low teir conf teams....that will be tough....

and if anyone thinks its going to stay at 4 team playoff

Jun 28, 2012, 5:17 PM

They're crazy. As soon as they see how much money it brings in, it will be up to 8 or more. If Clemson, FSU, VT and Miami start winning then the ACC will be at the top. Clemson and FSU are already about to explode, VT has been and that leaves the U. FSU just had an unreal DL class and now Clemson is having their best ever.

Re: and if anyone thinks its going to stay at 4 team playoff

Jun 28, 2012, 5:23 PM

It will be many mnay mnay years before it increases....college football changes move very slow....and if it goes to 8, that gives other conferences even MORE reason to not schedule tougher OOC games....

it won't be many years. Clemson will be fine and

Jun 28, 2012, 5:34 PM

A 11-1 -Clemson will get chose over a 10-2 team every time, thing is can we go 11-1? Just need to win

Re: it won't be many years. Clemson will be fine and

Jun 28, 2012, 10:58 PM

So we have to go 11-1 and hope there aren't more than 3 teams with 1 loss or more?

Everyone should have to have 1 loss in a 4 team playoff

Jun 28, 2012, 11:05 PM

Last year Clemson would have been taken over Stanford. Clemson will get chosen if we win conference over team that doesn't say SEC as we all know the bias there

Re: Everyone should have to have 1 loss in a 4 team playoff

Jun 28, 2012, 11:12 PM

Been plenty of seasons where two loss teams were in the top 4. And guess what? A 2 loss VT in those years didnt sniff the top 4. Bias and SOS will hurt us. You're in denial.

Have you been on here all day? Every time I leave

Jun 28, 2012, 11:16 PM

Then come back a few hours later to reply, you reply right back. Take a break

Re: Have you been on here all day? Every time I leave

Jun 28, 2012, 11:21 PM

No, we just seem to be on at the same time. I'm not on any during the evening.

Just win, we need to have a 1 or 2 loss season first***

Jun 28, 2012, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Everyone should have to have 1 loss in a 4 team playoff ]

Re: Just win, we need to have a 1 or 2 loss season first***

Jun 28, 2012, 11:22 PM

Sure we do. Doesn't help the issue though. That's like saying someone needs to have a flood before getting flood insurance. It don't work that way

VT in '07 had two losses and was #3 (11-2)

Jun 29, 2012, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Everyone should have to have 1 loss in a 4 team playoff ]

Behind LSU(11-2) and tOSU(11-1), above OU(10-2)/Mizzou(11-2)/UGA(10-2)/USC(10-2)/Kansas(11-1)/WVU(10-2)

Re: VT in '07 had two losses and was #3 (11-2)

Jun 29, 2012, 8:34 AM

2006 10-2 #4 OhSt. is in the top 4

11-2 #14 Wake is preceeded by 10-2 #4 LSU, #5 USC, #9 Auburn, #11 ND, #13 WV, 11-2 #10 OK

10-2 #15 VT is preceeded by 10-2 #4 LSU, #5 USC, #9 Auburn, #11 ND, #13 WV

2005 9-2 #4 USC is in the top 4

9-2 #8 Miami is preceeded by 9-2 #4 OhSt, #6 ND

10-2 #10 VT is preceeded by 9-2 #4 OhSt, #6 ND, #9 Auburn, 10-2 #7 UGA

2003 10-2 #4 Michigan is in the top 4

10-2 #7 FSU is preceeded by 10-2 #4 Mich, #5 OhSt., #6 Texas

Nitpicking data I see.

Jun 29, 2012, 9:36 AM

VT was #6 at 10-1 then lost (there were two undefeated teams)

Miami was #3 at 8-1 then lost

VT peaked at #10 then lost two in a row.

WF is WF they lost to the best teams they played (#12 Clemson and #19 VT)

yep, if the football schools had been playing like football

Jun 28, 2012, 11:27 PM [ in reply to Winning cures all ]

schools, the $ would be much higher.

Swofford went out and put the conference in position to be one of the premier football and basketball conferences. FSU, Miami, and CU (until last year)have let the conference down.

Even the mid-conf teams are worse than expected, ie UNC and NC State, Md, etc

Re: yep, if the football schools had been playing like football

Jun 28, 2012, 11:35 PM

A coot really shouldn't be talking about schools not living up to their part. Dude you have done it once in 115 years, don't forget who you are (Duke)

No. The TV contract won't change at all the first 5 years.

Jun 29, 2012, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Winning cures all ]

Then they'll review it but a) there's no guarantee that it'll go higher. It may go lower and b) 5 years is a lot of time to be missing out on more money. That money that we could be making but aren't is called "opportunity cost."

If we "just win" in the Big 12, we'll be in a similar position to play for the NC just as easily. The difference is, we'll be a richer team with more resources.

I don't think anyone doubts that winning will solve everything but we can still win AND get our fair share of the money.

I always pull against any SEC team no matter

Jun 28, 2012, 5:13 PM

who or what they are playing.

Jun 28, 2012, 5:13 PM

Is that Tom O'Brien?? I almost didn't recognize him with a smile on his face!

Kind of dramatic, David. Just need to win in 2014. I do

Jun 28, 2012, 5:34 PM

think Miami moving toward their potential will help and they have the right coach finally to do so.

I wonder why...

Jun 28, 2012, 5:55 PM

no one wants to respond to this story-lol.

j/k

Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 PM

clemson will do fine vs all competition. get rid of the inferiority complex. what i saw this spring tells me that the tigers will be very good. one never knows about injuries, but i think depth will be developed as the season goes along.

Virginia Tech 2007 is case in point...

Jun 28, 2012, 11:48 PM

An ACC team with two losses was #3 in the BCS standings. All we have to do going forward is win. A one loss Clemson team can definitely make the new playoffs.

Re: Virginia Tech 2007 is case in point...

Jun 29, 2012, 9:28 AM

Now go back and look ar 2006, 2005 and 2003.....

That was the only time in the last 10 years that an ACC team made the top 4.....

Jun 29, 2012, 9:36 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=12413641�

Jun 29, 2012, 9:37 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=12413641

Replies: 78
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic