Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Tigers offer son of former Clemson defensive end
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Tigers offer son of former Clemson defensive end

Jun 28, 2012, 10:08 AM

Tigers offer son of former Clemson defensive end

Cannon Smith is a 2014 tight end prospect out of the Hammond School in Columbia who drew rave reviews with his pass-catching and route running ability at Swinney’s camp. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bill Smith also on BOT.***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard from a reliable sure that Bill Smith told......

Jun 28, 2012, 10:54 AM

DS if he'd take his son that Bill would push for a move to the B12.

Right;)***

Jun 28, 2012, 5:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Tigers offer son of former Clemson defensive end

Jun 28, 2012, 10:23 AM

Sounds like another Colton Walls.

Jun 29, 2012, 1:33 PM

he looks like a great prospect for us

remember....pinkie OUT when you say "Hammond School"***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:35 AM

My cousins went there way back - it's a good school***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:41 AM

Unbelievable. I didn't think anything could top political

Jun 28, 2012, 10:37 AM

bull of offering Coach Mark Richt's son by Tommy Bowden and now this. I got roasted for saying that it was crazy to give a scholarship to Richt, who would never play. I ended up being right. I feel the same way here, so fire away. Just don't ever let me hear about how we have such precious few scholarships and we are saving them so we can make absolutely sure we make the most of them and don't waste them.

Re: Unbelievable. I didn't think anything could top political

Jun 28, 2012, 10:42 AM

Maybe you didn't watch the tape, but take a look at his highlights. Looks pretty good to me. Too big for corners and too fast for linebackers. Runs GREAT, crisp routes and uses his body to separate quickly from defenders. Good blocker at this point in his career, big and only a Junior in HS. Catches the ball out in front of his body very well. Finds the holes in the defense quickly and sells misdirection fakes well. I think he is going to be a good player personally. I agree on Richt's son though, he was not a good offer for us, the same with Greenlee. We are attracting too much awesome talent and are having to numbers crunch because of takes like those. However, I think he will be good and I trust Chad Morris' judgement more than anyone. If he is good enough tight end for Chad, he is good enough for me.

And everybody missed that but App. State.****

Jun 28, 2012, 10:44 AM

2014 prospect

Jun 28, 2012, 10:51 AM

More offers will be coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Well I did miss the part about 2014 prospect. That could

Jun 28, 2012, 3:10 PM

change things. I was thinking 2013 and virtually unheard of. As the old Gilda Radner character used to say, "Never mind".

Good, glad u missed it, I thought u were just being an a$$!***

Jun 28, 2012, 5:22 PM

He's just a rising Junior. Watch the vid.***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:56 AM [ in reply to And everybody missed that but App. State.**** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And everybody missed that but App. State.****

Jun 28, 2012, 11:01 AM [ in reply to And everybody missed that but App. State.**** ]

Maybe you didn't read that he is getting interest from North Carolina, South Carolina, Clemson, and App State. Just because we offered and the only other school to is App State means his offer sheet is full. Many other programs will be offering, he is only a rising junior. I didn't hear anyone complain when we were the first to offer M. Adams, especially not you.

Re: And everybody missed that but App. State.****

Jun 28, 2012, 11:16 AM [ in reply to And everybody missed that but App. State.**** ]

Not sure where all the hater-aide is coming from on this kid. Looks like a solid player to me. He has the size, speed, and hands, especially for a HS sophomore. Sounds like we have a bunch of conspiracy theorists in here.

We have precious few this year, 2014 is a different story!

Jun 28, 2012, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Unbelievable. I didn't think anything could top political ]

There will be plenty available then, and it's only an offer not a commitment!

Jun 28, 2012, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Unbelievable. I didn't think anything could top political ]

First of all have you seen this kid play. If you have, do you not think he will be good enough for Clemson after his other two years of HS ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2012, 12:36 PM

Remember he's playing at a private school, so it's easy to look good against that level of competition.

He may very well turn out to be the real deal but there is reason for skepticism

Have you seen the kid play?***

Jun 28, 2012, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Unbelievable. I didn't think anything could top political ]

Jun 29, 2012, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Unbelievable. I didn't think anything could top political ]

just from a purely hypothetical situation...given 100 young men from children of (avg) NFL players...and 100 kids, with no "NFL gene" history...I would think the odds of getting better players would come out of the NFL gene pool.
Look at your own kids, if you were involved with XYZ activity, aren't your kids going to be more knowledgeable about that activity, than other kids, whose parents are not involved with that same activity..just osmosis. I know it's true in our household. Of course, that's the "academic" side of things, the genes can be physical and mental.
Just think'n...
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watch his Highlights

Jun 28, 2012, 11:00 AM

This kid is Huge, Fast, A great blocker and has great hands! Only a rising Junior and he'll only get better!

Re: Watch his Highlights

Jun 28, 2012, 11:07 AM

Kid certainly meets all the physical aspects. He will get even bigger.

I think his father is a big donor to the school. But if his dad was good enough to play for Danny, then hopefully the athletic genes were passed along to his son.

I think I recall Dabo saying there are 3 types of college football players.

One type is the guys that are big time players that will contribute.

Cant recall the 2nd type and he said the 3rd type an most common are those that wont see the field that much but will go on to become great alumni who will go out and do well and give back to the school. This kid may turn out to be the type. I think he will be a solid contributor on the field and later on financially as a donor to the school.

Re: This inbreeding will kill you.***

Jun 28, 2012, 11:15 AM

Jun 28, 2012, 11:32 AM

Didn't watch the video to begin with. After reading the posts I went back and watched it. Give the kid a scholarship right now. In two years he will be one of the top tight ends in the nation if not at the end of his junior year. He looks that good IMO.

Ken

Agree - He looks amazingly good for a soph!

Jun 28, 2012, 11:55 AM

And big and fast and good pass catcher & blocker already - this guy is heading for 5 star status by his senior kid. Good genes. I remember his Father!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2012, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Tigers offer son of former Clemson defensive end ]

AGREE!! He is going to be a great college player!! Great kid as well!! Superb conditioning at Hammond as well as coaching - 5 state titles in a row!!! Will be a awesome Tiger!!

Hammond...

Jun 28, 2012, 3:38 PM

Is a football dynasty and could run with most public schools despite being private. Coached extremely well by Eric Kimrey, won like 5+ state titles in a row now. They have a great strength/conditioning program as well. Kid looks legit, reminds me of Thomas Hunter(another private school walk on) except with better ball skills.

So why don't they

Jun 29, 2012, 1:43 PM

Do what Bishop England and Christ Church do and compete at the 1A or 2A SCHSL level?

Jun 28, 2012, 8:29 PM

Hammond HAS won 5 state titles in a row, Kimrey is an unbelievable coach, and our strength and conditioning coach is unmatched - Hammond players are in superb condition. Canon is a huge kid and superb player - can't imagine what he's going to play like as a senior. Great kid as well!! Tigers will be lucky to get him!!

Jun 28, 2012, 10:47 PM

6 State titles in a row!!!! Made SC history this past year as no other team has accomplished this feat!! Hammond's football program is superb!! Strength/conditioning is superb!!! Coaching is superb!!! Cannon will be a great Clemson Tiger!!

So, why does the headline not read: "The next Bill Smith"?

Jun 28, 2012, 10:54 PM

That seems to be the annoying crutch with TNet. The next Spiller... the next Butler... the next Davis... the next Perry.

Let me know when the next Igwebuicke gets an offer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2012, 11:00 PM

His dad was the only recruit I ever wrote urging him to sign with Clemson. It was legal the, and it must hsave worked as he came and started on 1981 NC team. Now on our BOT. It must have been one heck of a letter I wrote.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 12:39 AM

Thanks for your post!
It's a shame you can't do it again. That would be awesome, for him to think he got a letter just like Dad.
GO TIGERS!!!

(So ridiculous to think you can't write an encouraging letter...I can understand if you're sending $$$$ along with the letter...but rulings against sending a letter seems like NCAA stupidity again).

Jun 29, 2012, 1:45 PM

I think they outlawed it because it's so easy to include cash in a letter and never get caught, so it was easier to police if they just banned letters from fans/boosters altogether

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic