Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: McDonald no longer being recruited by Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: McDonald no longer being recruited by Clemson

Jun 6, 2012, 12:19 PM

McDonald no longer being recruited by Clemson

The recruitment of Isaac McDonald by Clemson has come to an end, and McDonald's high school head coach says he is disappointed that one of his assistants took to Twitter to broadcast what he considered an internal issue. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here the kid sounds

Jun 6, 2012, 12:25 PM

much more mature than the coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry meant head coach***

Jun 6, 2012, 12:28 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

??? The head coach is spot on. The asst coach is totally

Jun 6, 2012, 12:34 PM

immature and who knows about the kid but he seems immature as well.

Re: ??? The head coach is spot on. The asst coach is totally

Jun 6, 2012, 1:39 PM

The kid is 17, so his immaturity is understandable. The HS assistant, however, is another story.

Exactly***

Jun 7, 2012, 9:09 AM

Re: ??? The head coach is spot on. The asst coach is totally

Jun 7, 2012, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: ??? The head coach is spot on. The asst coach is totally ]

This looks like an assistant coach out of his league. When one of your players is being recruited you keep your own ego in check. Its only about that player - your coaching job is to look out for their interest, they are only 17 I hope this doesn't hurt the players chances of playing at a great school because of a immature coach.

the kid is only 17 so being immature shouldn't be a suprise***

Jun 6, 2012, 4:00 PM [ in reply to ??? The head coach is spot on. The asst coach is totally ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mr. Tunsil sounds like a wise individual....glad to find out

Jun 6, 2012, 12:27 PM

he's the head coach at that HS and not Mr. Drummond.

I wish this information had made public prior to the internet uproar.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Jun 6, 2012, 12:27 PM

I'd wish this kid well but I have no sympathy for this kind of thing. If he wants to seriously consider the coots over us then all power to him, we'll be burning him for TD soon enough.

If he wasn't 100% Clemson from the start then have the guts to say as such, don't take a trip to our rivals and talk about how great of a time you had.

Lastly, if he had a "great" time in cootville then he's either a coot, or a very very confused person, though both are about the same.

Re: Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Jun 6, 2012, 12:41 PM

Amen, Brother.

Jun 6, 2012, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Don't let the door hit you on the way out ]

Get real. Did you ever take a road trip from Clemson to Columbia during the spring? Things have gotten better in TigerTowon, but back in the day, there were a way more coeds in Columbia than Clemson. Rock Hill and Charleston were better weekend destinations, but Columbia wasn't bad.

My point is that you can be a Tiger and have a good time on the South Carolina campus. This 100% Clemson thing has got to go unless and until a prospect makes a commitment. Then, taking visits and actively participating in the recruiting process is like going steady and dating around. You can't do it and keep the steady girl hanging on.

Re: You had better not that girl friend stray. She might

Jun 6, 2012, 3:33 PM

find something she likes better.

scu really doesn't have a campus, it's just in the middle...

Jun 6, 2012, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't let the door hit you on the way out ]

of columbia. This isn't the 1950's, there are a lot of hot babes up in Clemson. Plus, scu "chicks" are just lazy. Drive through their so called campus, and most of their "chicks" are in pajamas, without taking a shower for the day, and have their hair all over the place. Being at college is no excuse not take a shower or go around in your pajamas all day.

Sounds like a satellite tv commercial

Jun 6, 2012, 8:20 PM

"Don't not take a shower and go around in pajamas all day."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

If you consider Rock Hill a "weekend destination"….

Jun 6, 2012, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't let the door hit you on the way out ]

then you really need to learn what the definition of that term is.

Don't be stupid. Kids probably have a great time at every

Jun 6, 2012, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Don't let the door hit you on the way out ]

visit where they get the red carpet treatment.

Jun 7, 2012, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Don't let the door hit you on the way out ]

I still wish him well, but we're losing a real good prospect here. The guy is a beast on film. We should have just stayed after him and tried to keep him, but it didn't look like that was going to happen anyway for whatever reason.

Re: Front Page Story: McDonald no longer being recruited by Clemson

Jun 6, 2012, 12:29 PM

well if you commit to a school you SHOULDN'T go on official visits to other schools...that doesn't exactly show that you're committed. I understand that kids like the feeling of being wanted and pursued but if that's what you want then you don't need to be making any commitments to anyone. Take the visits you want, when you've had your fair share of visits THEN commit to the school you feel most comfortable with...the shopping around should stop after you've made your commitment

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2012, 1:02 PM

In return you shouldn't recruit kids who are already committed to other schools. You have to exercise this practice for it to hold any water with recruits.

Wrong. It's up to the other school to ask their kid to honor

Jun 6, 2012, 1:08 PM

his commitment. How the other school handles it is up to them. We simply ask kids to honor their words to us. That's all. What a kid tells another school has no bearing on our "practice".

Of course you're a fan of a school who doesn't honor their commitment to recruits, so I'm not sure where you get the gall to be offering up an opinion on this anyway.

Re: Wrong. It's up to the other school to ask their kid to honor

Jun 6, 2012, 8:07 PM

Yep! What he said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We can recruit anyone, afterall we're giving the free rides

Jun 6, 2012, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: McDonald no longer being recruited by Clemson ]

wake up man...

Re: We can recruit anyone, afterall we're giving the free rides

Jun 6, 2012, 8:08 PM

Just a correction. The rides are far from free. There is much hard work required in exchange for the "free ride".

The tuition is paid for...

Jun 13, 2012, 10:31 AM

Which is better than those not on scholarship.

Jun 6, 2012, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: McDonald no longer being recruited by Clemson ]

I've got to disagree with that one. If/when a recruit commits to you, that creates a bond between the two of you. It does not have any impact on other schools.

If you're a single guy and the homecoming queen who's supposed to be going with whomever, unless he's your best friend, if she winks, you're going to take notice. If she's your girl, however, and she winks at whomever, you have to make a decision. First you have to talk to her and find out if she really wants to date around. If so, then yo can decide whether you want to date her casually or not.

In this case, we'd be okay with Robert Nkemdche dating around, but still seeing us. I'm perfectly comfortable letting the coaching staff decide who to recruit and under what circumstancs. That said, I really like McDonald's long term potential as a DE who can drop into pass coverage. However, if the maturity isn't there, he might never develop to the point where he realizes that potential.

Jun 6, 2012, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: McDonald no longer being recruited by Clemson ]

Totally disagree. It is up to the kid to honor or not to honor his commitment. All the kid has to say is, "I am committed to yada, yada, yada", and stick with it, which is what he should do if he really is committed. It is on the kid to live up to the commitment. Conversely, it is the school's duty to honor their offer, if the kid honors his. Clemson does this, but spurlid, not so much, as we all have seen.

Jun 6, 2012, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: McDonald no longer being recruited by Clemson ]

I think that anybody with a half of a brain understands that committed is committed. What does that say about Drummond. Well in one of his tweets he said that what it is, is what it is. Apparently he doesn't have a clue of what it is. Refering to a committment that is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2012, 8:13 PM

It seems as if he might not have many clues about a lot of things.

Jun 6, 2012, 12:39 PM

Excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent

This kid and his coach represent nothing but problems and trouble for our coaching staff. They possess that "what have YOU done for me lately syndrone." Stay the hell away from recruits/hs coaches with the mentality of this guy.

I'm delighted that we are no longer recruiting this person. We can do better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO TIGERS

Well said, I feel the same way.

Jun 6, 2012, 1:18 PM

This coach is not of our caliber.

on film this kid looks like a sure 4 star player

Jun 6, 2012, 1:10 PM

hate to lose him to something stupid like this. Not a huge fan of the zero tolerance for visiting other campuses. We probably lose out on alot of kids that may want to check us out but don't want to commit to cutting off all free paid trips to other schools with friends. But I see the merit and admire Dabo for sticking to his guns.

I think we've recruited very well...

Jun 6, 2012, 1:19 PM

I'm not doubting anything our staff is doing when it comes to recruiting. So what we miss out on a few, at least we get the ones that are true and hold thier committment.

Re: on film this kid looks like a sure 4 star player

Jun 6, 2012, 1:54 PM [ in reply to on film this kid looks like a sure 4 star player ]

We don't miss out on recruits who we're after, but they want to visit other schools. The only ones this policy applies to is kids who make verbal commitments. What this policy prevents is us losing other recruits because a 17 year old commits early, then changes his mind. In the meantime, we haven't been recruiting other kids and have to play catch up.

Jun 6, 2012, 2:01 PM [ in reply to on film this kid looks like a sure 4 star player ]

I don't see where you are having problems with this b/c it is so simple. If recruits aren't ready to stop being recruited and taking visits. Just don't commit until you are ready to stop ALL recruiting. Don't tell a school to lock that position down while you are still looking. If they commit and find a school they like better. Where does that leave the school toward the end of the recruiting period. It leaves them S.O.L. that's where it leaves them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2012, 5:44 PM

This is the best explanation of Dabo's policy I've seen and it is spot on. I believe Dabo is right in following this policy and even if it should lose some recruits, it should avoid getting really screwed in return.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The policy is very simple. Don't commit until you mean it

Jun 6, 2012, 5:55 PM [ in reply to on film this kid looks like a sure 4 star player ]

The way I look at it, Dabo is telling them from the beginning, take all the visits you want - until you commit to Clemson. After you commit, honor your commitment.

I think it weeds out the possible bad apples. We end up with kids who want to be at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2012, 1:12 PM

this sucks, the kids is a gamer. we wil regret it when he becomes another gaines adams, but at SCU.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry your coach Drummond is a Clown...

Jun 6, 2012, 1:17 PM

Tell him to find another school to tweet about. Not us! Not here!

Have you seen his tweets, thier awful, and he's suppose to be an adult. If I were head coach or the prinicpal, etc I'd have a serious talk with him and make him delete his Twitter. What an embarrassment for the school and kid.

Just sent an email to

Jun 6, 2012, 1:39 PM

champagnat.school@gmail.com

letting them know my thoughts and emotions regarding the embarrassment asst. coach drummond has caused their school and Coach Tunsil

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry your coach Drummond is a Clown...

Jun 6, 2012, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Sorry your coach Drummond is a Clown... ]

Yeah, his tweets are an embarrassment. He never liked Clemson from the get go. Good luck to the McDonald kid though. Who knows which schools might back off of him due to the assistant coach pulling the strings.

I agree with Clemson Coaches..don't commit & still visit...

Jun 6, 2012, 1:38 PM

since you made a commitment..and the additional visits are then pretty much unethical, cost the other school(s) good money, leads them on, messes up the players mind, etc.

Go TiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best news I've heard all day. You have to be more than a

Jun 6, 2012, 1:50 PM

3-star to act like that. Worst of luck to him in his college ball.

Re: Best news I've heard all day. You have to be more than a

Jun 6, 2012, 1:56 PM

Dude, Grow up. Why wish the kid ill. He's 17 years old and is going to make mistakes. He's still learning how to go through life. The assistant coach who he seems to rely on quite a bit probably does have some growing up to do. He should know better.

Jun 6, 2012, 2:05 PM

Agree, the HS coach screwed his HS player out of a good place to play college ball.

The last two I wished to have no college success came

Jun 6, 2012, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Best news I've heard all day. You have to be more than a ]

through in a big way. One was a fat offensive lineman that used the all-star game to announce he was decommitting from Clemson to Georgia. He rode the pine for three years in Athens and then gave up football. The other was McIntosh, who never played a down for Florida and ended up transferring to a 1AA school. I wish the same sort of outcome for this guy.

I loved his tape.

Jun 6, 2012, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Best news I've heard all day. You have to be more than a ]

I bet ebds up a great de. That, said class is small and that kid needs 3 to 4 years adding weight. He will be a good one though.

Jun 6, 2012, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Best news I've heard all day. You have to be more than a ]

great character by you, #### up. "worst of luck" to a teenager, grow up.

This coming from the guy that makes fun of our own player,

Jun 7, 2012, 1:28 AM

Spencer Region. And also is the first to decide to use language that has to be blanked out. Seems like you have some growing up to do. Making fun of a teenager that plays for the home team like you did Region, complete with insulting photo, well I never!

Take you self-rightous BS and spread it somewhere else.

Actually, after reviewing more of your past posts, I sewe

Jun 7, 2012, 1:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Best news I've heard all day. You have to be more than a ]

that this is what you do. You reply to people with a curse word or two and just basically like to argue. And then tell people to grow up. Nice.

my take...the assistant is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame

Jun 6, 2012, 1:56 PM

because of his relationship with high school kids. He must have never had any attention during his high shool days.

And trips with a teenager.***

Jun 6, 2012, 2:42 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other HS news, Sussy broke up with Tommy

Jun 6, 2012, 3:51 PM

Sussy told TN reporters, "I just need my space". Stay tuned for Tommy's response.

Twitter has grown men acting like…..

Jun 6, 2012, 3:59 PM

b*****s

Jun 6, 2012, 3:59 PM

Interesting. The coach's tweets made it sound like *he* was the head coach.

is it normal for the coach to take the trips..

Jun 6, 2012, 4:12 PM

with the kid?

Re: is it normal for the coach to take the trips..

Jun 6, 2012, 5:49 PM

Really good question. Who pays the coaches expenses? This sounds really strange to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i have always thought the parents went...

Jun 6, 2012, 8:32 PM

along.never heard of the coach going to every trip.seems to me he is playing agent.

Re: is it normal for the coach to take the trips..

Jun 6, 2012, 8:32 PM [ in reply to is it normal for the coach to take the trips.. ]

Somebody has to be old enough to buy the beer! We kicked Marlin Lane to the curb for visiting Tenn. It would be nice to have him now.

If you're dating me, don't talk to other boys or I'll dump u

Jun 7, 2012, 1:04 PM

I think he should tell a prospect not to commit until he takes all of his desired visits, and vice versa, not accept a commit from a prospect unless the prospect states he is done with all his desired visits.

This twitter situation makes Coach Swinney appear like an insecure boyfriend.

Not the same.

Jun 8, 2012, 6:19 PM

If Clemson is only taking a certain number of recruits at a position they need to know they can stop recruiting that position. Verbally committing is more like saying yes to a marriage proposal. I would hope that anyone who agrees to marry someone else will stop looking around.

Clemson probably isn't the only program to do this sort of thing.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic