Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: A parent's point of view - part 2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: A parent's point of view - part 2

May 29, 2012, 11:18 AM

A parent's point of view - part 2

The parent of a current Clemson football athlete says that a move to the Big 12 would have a lot of positives. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: A parent's point of view - part 2

May 29, 2012, 11:21 AM

great perspective...I posted the other day...having been through the experience of following our daughter as she played collegiate D1 basketball.....they become part of a team....you get to see them more at home games...not away games....cause you watch them play...they catch the bus / flight and leave....you learn the hard way that coaches like to practice over holidays...the most important thing is access to televised games....or live streaming....and that the school is gonna take care of your child!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A voice of reason. Thanks to the Major.******

May 29, 2012, 11:23 AM

Well done Crump

May 29, 2012, 11:25 AM

And thank you Major Mac Lain. For entrusting your son to this great university and also for your service to our nation

What did Crump have to do with this?***

May 29, 2012, 2:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

"David Hood" is Crump's scok.***

May 30, 2012, 1:01 PM

null

a voice of reason after the 1st article threw gas on a fire***

May 29, 2012, 11:27 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Major MacLain first for

May 29, 2012, 11:36 AM

Your service to this great country. And second, for your logic and voice of reason on this hot topic. May God bless you and your family.

Not just a voice of reason...

May 29, 2012, 11:41 AM

But also someone who went on the record with his name, so that makes the story 10,000 times more credible.

I'm still not sure how moving to a stronger conference with a better TV deal that will also be a part of college football's most relevant future will hurt recruiting. Big time programs in big time conferences still pull in recruits from all over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

what a great point***

May 29, 2012, 11:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Major!! Thank you for serving our country and

May 29, 2012, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Not just a voice of reason... ]

Telling it like it is..perfectly stated

May 29, 2012, 11:44 AM

As the son of a deceased sailor , and reading this article by aa AF Colonelthe day after Memorial Day .. it makes me very proud to be associated with Clemson University. The parts where he said how Dabo and Dan Brooks send him film and emails is very telling about the kind of person that Clemson has at its football helm , and dont think for a minute that we dont know this as a fanbase. Distinction and honor , keeping your word...thats something that we should all aspire to . Go Tigers !

Thank you Sir......

May 29, 2012, 11:59 AM

For your service to our country, and also for using a little common sense on this hot issue.

Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honor and distinction

May 29, 2012, 12:01 PM

This is what some people who say that our recruiting will suffer don't understand. Recruits come to play for Clemson, not the ACC not the Big12. They come to play and be a tiger because they love the family atmosphere and a coaching staff that cares abotu them as young men as well as ball players.

If we lose some kids becuase their parents don't want them to play in the Big12 then tough. We'll get many more when we get more recognition and get some kids who don't know much about Clemson on campus and let the hills, atmosphere, and coaching staff work their mojo.

Thank you sir for your serivce to our country and for plaing your son in one of the best places for him to excel as a football player as well as an upstanding young man.

Re: Men of honor and distinction

May 29, 2012, 12:01 PM

Pretty cool. I hope all of The Tigers prospective recruits and their parents read that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This isnt high school football, you cant just drive around

May 29, 2012, 12:02 PM

to every game on the schedule, I dont care what conference you are in. That was the most idiotic argument i had ever heard. Glad they ran a second article where someone with some sense could chime in.

Re: This isnt high school football, you cant just drive around

May 29, 2012, 12:34 PM

maybe not a fully informed opinion but I would never call a parent's opinion idiotic. We need to always remember that parents have a big say in whether or not an athlete chooses Clemson.

For any Clemson fan who lives along the central Atlantic coast, a move to the Big 12 will make road games more of a challenge to attend. Is that a deal breaker? No. Just a factor to consider.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's be totally honest here, not many fans go to away games

May 29, 2012, 1:41 PM

especially to MD, Miami, BC, etc. The fans at those games are fans that live relatively close, or have healthy incomes and can easily afford the travel, or people that make Clemson football an unusually large part of their life and plan their year, vacations, etc. around Clemson football.

We often have nearly 80,000 in the Valley, but maybe 10,000 if that many at BC and Miami. It's not going to effect many fans, relatively speaking, if we join Big XII. Most fans living in or near SC that travel to games in Miami, Boston, or even Maryland typically fly. Flying to Kansas or Texas is really no different than flying to Miami or Boston.

The local travel agencies also have package deals to away games that look like good bargains.

If anything, more fans might go to away games the first few years because we'll be playing new teams in new cities.

Re: Let's be totally honest here, not many fans go to away games

May 29, 2012, 1:43 PM

old blue coot still beating that dead horse. shocking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you should know as many as you beat***

May 29, 2012, 2:37 PM

Re: This isnt high school football, you cant just drive around

May 29, 2012, 12:40 PM [ in reply to This isnt high school football, you cant just drive around ]

You should not call someone an "idiot" by implication. The recruit's parent was expressing a point of view or feeling that was sincere. He may, in fact, plan to go to all away games and the move to another conference would place an additional financial burden on him. Express your opinion without throwing in negative comments about a persons intelligence or motive.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I figured they would make it a balanced discussion***

May 29, 2012, 12:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^misspelled blindsided***

May 29, 2012, 12:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You set us up for this!

May 29, 2012, 12:39 PM

You DOG!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That GIANT, IN YOUR FACE Big 12 logo is very misleading

May 29, 2012, 12:48 PM

for a split second.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Great Post, Major .. Let's Hope

May 30, 2012, 12:13 AM

your fine perspective does NOT lead to some parent's "Part 3."

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2012, 10:14 AM

I'm not trying to be rude or unconcerned for these parents that have athletic kids on scholarship. But it shouldn't matter how far the travel is for the parent. They could use the money they have saved on their kids college education ( and still come out ahead ) for the travel if it really is that important to be at the games. Football, basketball, and baseball is big business for college sports. And colleges must do what is in the best interest of their school. Most of the longer distances will only be every other year. And lets not forget that if we were in the B12 and recruited kids from out West. It would be a long trip for those parents to make it for the home games. Those home games would be the ones I would be most concerned about if I were the parent. I apologize if this sounds rude for the parents. I'm not meaning for it to be. Its just the facts of college sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic