Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Parker's big day shows addition of Venables and hard work paying off
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Parker's big day shows addition of Venables and hard work paying off

Apr 19, 2012, 3:49 PM

Parker's big day shows addition of Venables and hard work paying off

Linebacker Justin Parker had a big day during last Saturday's spring, and he credits the arrival of new defensive coordinator Brent Venables and a ton of hard work for the turnaround.
s
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he learns the D well enough he could start at WILL

Apr 19, 2012, 3:55 PM

Willard is solid but he's not the athelete Parker is and Hawkins is not better then him either. Until Steward gets healthy I think the best 3 in terms of talent we could put on the field in the 4-3 is:

WILL: Parker
MIKE: Anthony
SAM: Townsend, though Chrisitan has a lot of talent as well.

Re: If he learns the D well enough he could start at WILL

Apr 19, 2012, 4:01 PM

I'd start Tig, but obviously give Parker a lot of reps. Tig is one of the few players I saw last year who played with at least some intensity from the LB position.

I think Townsend should definitely start over Christian though.

Willard was the most consistent of the starters last year

Apr 19, 2012, 4:03 PM

He's smart, makes tackles, and is a good leader. I just think Parker has more talent then Willard but Tig will start just becuase he knows the D well and is a good player

I hear you but 70-33 impacts every starter from last year***

Apr 19, 2012, 11:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's on Steele.

Apr 20, 2012, 8:13 AM

The players were literally frozen in confusion. They moved a good 5 seconds after the ball was snapped becuase they had no idea what to do. After more than a month to prepare that's all on the coach.

Apr 19, 2012, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: If he learns the D well enough he could start at WILL ]

All this renewed life in Parker has me thinking that Steele was wasting good talent. His way was taking the fun out of the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2012, 3:57 PM

I agree with all the cross training you could see 5 guys working in a the LB spots which is good.

We've got more depth then that actually

Apr 19, 2012, 4:02 PM

Steward healthy might be the best athelete. BJ Goodson is supposed to be a beast and I like what I see from him. Shuey is very servicable and likes to hit. Christian could be one of the better one, he just needs to find that intensity he had freshmen year. Willard is one of the most consistent and even Hawkins has seemed to improved a bit under BV so he's making plays as well.

We probably have the deepest corp of LB in the ACC aside from FSU, the best ones are just young and need some time to mature.

Need to consider RS'ing steward if he isn't 100%

Apr 19, 2012, 4:34 PM

we can't have a 2nd wasted year.

With so much depth at both the WILL and SAM we should

Apr 19, 2012, 4:49 PM

Get him back 100% healthy and still get 2-3 years out of him. Beside after next year Willard and Hawkins will graduate and that spot will be between him and Parker, who will also be a senior. By the time Steward is a junior he'll be the starter at the WILL through graduation

Don't forget about the OU kid as well for 2013.

Apr 19, 2012, 8:11 PM

And I think things will further change as Goodson develops.

It amazes me how position conditions can change so quickly. LB and WR now strengths, were weakness not long ago.

Re: We've got more depth then that actually

Apr 19, 2012, 5:32 PM [ in reply to We've got more depth then that actually ]

Shuey would be a starter at most schools very good player

Re: Front Page Story: Parker's big day shows addition of Venables and hard work paying off

Apr 19, 2012, 8:46 PM

This story again just speaks volumes about Kevin Steele. As much as I hated that Orange Bowl, if it got rid of Steele and got us a above average d-coordinator then it was worth it.

Defense is supposed to be fun and attacking not boring and over thinking everything. I would rather guys make mistakes and do it attacking the offense then sitting back and getting blasted anyway and not having any fun doing it.

As for who I would start, it would be Townsend Anthony and Parker with lots of reps to Christian/Willard and hopefully Steward if he ever stays healthy.

Agree with your mindset Cubs Man ...

Apr 21, 2012, 10:20 PM

Last year on T-Net I stated our best young talent including Anthony, Townsend and Parker were not being given a chance and Steele's personal favorites were getting all the reps to the detriment of our team. I was thumbs-downed a few times for comments with usual B.S. comments (did I think I knew more than Steele? yes)... the T.Net mindset has changed a lot since 70-33.

Steele has been discredited, and Venables appears keen to play the players with the most speed, strength, ability to hit and talent. I like the concept.

Learning means mistakes in early games, but by late in year, playing the talent early pays off. It worked with Ed McDaniel, L. Kirkland and Anthony Simmons who started as true and RS frosh.

Looks like Venables has Anthony locked into starting middle LB with Lateek, Parker and Tig battling for other starting positions and Blanks at nickel. Sounds good to me. So who will start in defensive backfield?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic