Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What makes a cult, a cult. Is Newspring one?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 16,024

What makes a cult, a cult. Is Newspring one?

Apr 7, 2012, 12:12 AM

Here are some relatively well-agreed upon traits for cults. An organization having one of these traits does not make it anywhere near a cult. Some are more important than others.

As someone who attended Newspring for several years (believe it or not) and with many friends both in the congregation and staff, I'll just give my honest opinion on the matter.

My own view is that Newspring isn't a cult... but it's followers certain act "cultish."

*Veneration of a leader

To me, this is unequivocally true at Newspring. To say that Newspring's congregation doesn't vouchsafe rock-star status in their Pastor is a bold-faced lie. Perry does give cursory warnings that he is not perfect, and need not be the subject of idolatory-- however, if you've been to Newspring for any length of time, it's hard to ignore the number of times Perry has dedicated large swaths of his sermons to defenses of himself, or thinly-veiled self-aggrandizing (See the number of times in a sermon he has refuted his critiques by chanting "scoreboard.")

Perhaps the best way to describe the trait at Newspring is "supremacy of the leader." Newspring has something like eight campuses. They usually watch Perry live via streaming video. Doesn't that make you stop for just a second? It has to be him.

For what I find a funny, ironic example, watch this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECNtPxOl1bo

Perry starts off by criticizing his congregation for making church about Perry and not Jesus. Then he proceeds to talk about himself for five minutes. Just found it mildly amusing.

*Inerrancy of the leader

This is debatable; while I doubt that more than a handful of zealots actually think Perry is perfect, I do think that any criticism of Perry is very routinely taken with hostility. Because...

*Dissent is discouraged

Again, I cannot see how this can even be denied, if you've attended Newspring long enough. The turnover at Newspring and their support staff is significant. Say the wrong thing, criticize the wrong person, and you're out. I've seen many members raise valid concerns via email or phone call, only to be snidely told "If you don't like it, don't go here." See the entire fiasco involving Anderson professor James Duncan, when he wrote a letter to the editor. More to come on this.

More to the point-- just have a conversation with a typical, rabid Newspringer. Tell them that you don't like big churches, or that you don't think it's biblical, or that it seems cultish. I think you'll find the responses tend to be significantly less measured than the ones on this board. That has been my experience anyway. There is a ferocity and vitriol, lurking, at the ready, in the minds and hearts of many of these people.

*Absolute Truth

Yep. But this goes for most religious organizations.
*Absolute Morality

Yep.
*In Group/Out Group Mentality (Isolation of the "other)

Absolutely. Again, if you've been to Newspring long enough, and have a criticism, or leave-- try to have a conversation with the current members. They isolate themselves from OTHER Christians who aren't Newspringers. The number of times Perry uses isolationist rhetoric in regard to his critics and other Christians is astounding to me. Again, this is a generalization, but reflective of my personal experience. I have seen and heard MANY times, Newsprings accuse Christians of being false prophets or unbelievers because they dislike Newspring or Perry.

*Ends Justify the Means

Sure. I don't think I'm the only person that found Newspring to be going out of its way to be secular and "unequally yoked." The sermons are superficial, the music ultra-contemporary, and the language from the pulpit presses and passes the limits of what is traditionally acceptable. Why? Because Newspring is about two things; more members and more money. Newspring has embarked upon a pretty significant shift in how to "reach" people.

*Deceit and hidden agendas

I think this ties into the next point...

*Financial exploitation

Newspring has made tens of millions of dollars.

They are the richest church in the state. Yet they seemingly charge for everything. Someone told me the membership class costs money (it's actually called an "ownership class" now). I cannot vouch for if this is true or was ever true.

Their schemes for making money are ubiquitous. Perry holds "conversations" with Pastors who want to grow their churches, and charges them 100 bucks a person for the service. Want to serve Newspring and your lord by going to Kenya on a mission trip? Better be willing to drop 4 grand.
Over half of Newpsring's budget goes to personnel salary and benefits. That seems awfully high for a "missions based ministry." Newspring, along with vocally pushing tithing and giving, has had several multi-million dollar capital campaigns. Newspring preaches against debt, but pushes online giving via credit cards.

I don't know. Just seems awfully, awfully money-minded to me. And please don't start with the "you're just jealous they have so much money" crap. I don't go to church. I don't have a "house" to compare.

*Mind-altering practices

I think the entire process by which music, lighting, mood, and ambiance are used to incite desired emotions (guilt, bliss, relief, consolation) is common to most religions.

Newspring does it well.
*Lack of accountability

This, to me, is a big one. The upper echelon of Newspring is untouchable. Call me old school-- a "church" is supposed to be a body. It's a cooperative. The congregation of Newspring and the community at large has no say in their own collective experience at the "church." Perry and his inner circle don't lead; they rule. They are untouchable.

If you haven't heard about what some of Newspring's staff did to the Anderson University professor, read this

http://www.pajamapages.com/holy-rage-at-the-spring-2/

The lack of accountability reeks.
*Aggressive recruitment practices

I'd say so. Billboards, TV, Radio, Twitter, Facebook...

*Propaganda techniques.

See above.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What makes a cult, a cult. Is Newspring one?

Apr 7, 2012, 12:47 AM

Well written. Thumbs up. I've never known much about this place until the recent attention it's gotten on this site. Passed by their campus once. Watched a few videos online recently and I don't understand how this guy gets so many followers. Seems like a tool to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Redemption in Greenville might fit the definition even

Apr 7, 2012, 2:04 AM

better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't really know anything about NewSpring or Perry, but

Apr 7, 2012, 2:10 AM

since it's some form of organized religion, I'll go with "cult".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Political parties are cults.***

Apr 7, 2012, 7:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don we haven't always seen eye to eye,

Apr 7, 2012, 8:46 AM

but this is extremely well done, and about like what I've observed. I have some family members and a handful of friends who go to NS and my experience with them is very much in line with what you've said below.

God forbid you should bring up church with them, and they start.."Perry this...Perry that..."

To each his own, but it just gives me pause when I see people going to a church giving more praise to the preacher than the one they're supposed to be going to church to worship.

Very very well written.

Apr 7, 2012, 9:48 AM

This was a HUGE problem when my wife and I first started dating. She went to a church like this and I went to a traditional church.

I had her read this and she totally agreed that as a 30 something, she fell for all of this as well. You were able to clearly define what I had been trying to tell her for years. Good job.

Very well written.

Apr 7, 2012, 9:41 AM

As someone who use to attend there in college...you are spot on.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can anyone tell me the leadership structure at NS?

Apr 7, 2012, 9:50 AM

Most churches are lead by a session or deacons; by its elected members. Who are the leaders at NewSpring?

I ask because at Elevation Church in Charlotte, the church is lead by a Board of outsiders; not by members. Elevation and NewSpring seem to be modeled after each other.

Another question. Is Perry Noble ordained? If so, by what organization? I wonder this whenever I hear "non-denominational". Mark Driscoll, a controversial pastor of large non-denominational church in Seattle, ordained himself.

TIA

TD81 - thanks for sharing

Apr 7, 2012, 10:54 AM

I had never heard about any of this but, I must admit, one knows it must exist. It is the nature of our world.

I do not know how the family attacked is doing, but I hope they are well. And neither do I know how the "family" which became the attacker is doing, but I hope they have recognized their error, have repented AND sought forgiveness, and are doing well too.

That such ugliness exists within the church is a shame. It gives the church a black eye. All who would go to [any] church are well advised to "test" the spirit of their church of choice. For Jesus Himself taught that the "tree" would grow to abnormal heights; and that "all kinds" of birds will nest in its branches.

The same soil that grows the wheat and the tare also springs forth the tree; the "church" will be tied to the wicked from both earth and sky. From the lowliest position to the loftiest.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

I see no mention of a concrete bunker & Automatic Weapons

Apr 7, 2012, 1:53 PM

no self respecting cult is complete without a concrete bunker and a stash of Automatic weapons.

If they dont have one yet, they will after the government burns them out.

;)

Re: What makes a cult, a cult. Is Newspring one?

Apr 7, 2012, 4:00 PM

Wow, that was an interesting read. Is the Ben Milstead in the article the same one that works for WCCP?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Technically... Christianity in general is a cult.

Apr 7, 2012, 10:27 PM

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

Not only that but the various forms of mainstream Chirstianity, throughout history, check all the boxes you lay out in your post.

It's only natural that a movement relying on the nebulous, malleable concept of "faith" is going to have a large number of manipulatable adherents.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Christianity was once a cult. Scientology is a cult, but one

Apr 8, 2012, 12:03 AM

day it will grow big enough, powerful enough, have enough followers and economic or public influence to gain legitimacy.

Difference in a cult and recognized religion? The number of followers.

EVERY religion began as a cult.

Newspring isn't a cult, it's a money grubbing mega church...

Apr 8, 2012, 2:13 PM

which is only about getting money for the people who run the church to live luxurious lifestyles

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 16,024
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic