Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables' simpler scheme frees linebackers up to make plays
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables' simpler scheme frees linebackers up to make plays

Apr 6, 2012, 11:39 AM

Venables' simpler scheme frees linebackers up to make plays

Clemson linebackers are embracing Brent Venables' simpler scheme that allows the linebackers to just go make plays instead of thinking too much. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm hoping that this will make a big difference. It's hard

Apr 6, 2012, 11:57 AM

to imagine that we completely missed on almost every single LB recruit the past few years; the scheme and/or coaching had to be a factor.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'm excited.

Apr 6, 2012, 12:06 PM

We have a rising star in the middle. (Anthony)

At Will, we have two guys who have seen 400+ snaps/year for the past two years. (Willard and Hawkins)

And at Sam, we have another experienced guy, along with a guy who just wants to wreck people. (Christian and Townsend).

This in addition to Brewer and Meeks, who love to hit, and an up-and-coming pass rusher in Crawford.

If we can shore up the DL with all that young talent, and have someone like Deshawn Williams emerge as a force in the middle, we could go from terrible to feared in just a year.

Re: I'm excited.

Apr 6, 2012, 12:52 PM

glad to see this. clemson and dominating lb play go together better than pizza and beer!can't wait 'till next Saturday to see what bv has done with the defense and lb's in particular.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2012, 2:10 PM

I really wander if some of our linebackeers from last year will improve. Two linebackers, in particular, are major concerns. It would be interesting to see how much playing time they will receive.

Apr 6, 2012, 2:15 PM

What is the status on Steward's injury? I wouldn't sleep on him, I think he will be a beast.

Apr 6, 2012, 2:19 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1095134&tstart=0

(Slightly) more serious thread
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1095129&tstart=0

Clemson

Dang, I'm fired up about this upcoming season...

Apr 6, 2012, 3:57 PM

but to read this and realize this shiite was going on for a couple/few years before anything was done about it burns my a$$ so bad.

Know what you mean. However, KS was still a good DC

Apr 7, 2012, 3:52 AM

He got us through 2 nasty schedules to the championship game twice, and guided the Tigers to 2 near shutdowns of VT in the same season when it mattered most (their only 2 regular season losses); similar with FSU & Auburn, the former (FSU) being one our most important games every season.

Until BV delivers, I'll stay cautiously respectable about the whole thing.

Re: Know what you mean. However, KS was still a good DC

Apr 7, 2012, 7:30 AM

You recruit the best lb in the country and they don't play. Something is wrong! It not like the defense was great. I can see how the offense will be better in the lone because of being in the system for the second head. It's not ALL new this year. Had to spend a lot of time on play learning. This year we know the system, it's just execution. Defensively we have sucked the last few years. We will be really good this year because we are playing defense and not think and defense. A lot of yards were gained because we were thinking and adjusting after the play was already being run. You add that to poor tackling and it made for a long day. As poor as the d was, we can only get better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, but KS was NOT a good DC

Apr 8, 2012, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Know what you mean. However, KS was still a good DC ]

Not at all. Never seen so many confused players on one side of the ball, play after play, game after game, year after year....

Never Impressed

Apr 8, 2012, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Know what you mean. However, KS was still a good DC ]

I was never impressed with Kevin Steele. His defenses got worse at the end of every year and were bad in 2009 and 2011. His defense didn't force a single punt in the 2009 ACC CG that Clemson lost because of defense 34-39.

KS was @ the wrong level

Apr 8, 2012, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Dang, I'm fired up about this upcoming season... ]

K. Steele was coaching at the wrong level. He was, as players indicate, teaching a pro-style "D". When you watch the pros, the D has time to analyze the "O" formation and make pre-snap reads and calls. It's not unusual to see pro D's pointing and shifting pre-snap, just as CU has done for the last few years. However, the pace of the spread is quicker, not giving a pro-style D time to do those things. As for success against VT, they ran, for the most part, a pro-style, drop back offense. In comparison, WV's pace was maddening. Now compare NC's offense, see the diff? Our D looked like the Ravens against pro-style O's. Now, for TN writers, it's time to let KS go. Focus on now, quit comparing, I know it's our only benchmark, but let it go. Best of luck to the mad scientist, Kevin Steele.

Re: Front Page Story: Venables' simpler scheme frees linebackers up to make plays

Apr 13, 2012, 2:03 PM

I found an intresting article similar to this with an interview with one of OU's players from last year (Javon Harris). Harris wasn't one of the LB's on OU's defense but he talked about how different BV's defense scheme and Mike Stoops Scheme is different. Here are a few quotes:

OU's new defensive coordinator saw Harris' big-play ability and felt it just wasn't being utilized correctly. So Stoops has moved Harris from free safety to strong safety this spring, getting Harris closer to the line of scrimmage and allowing him to make plays in the middle of the field while reducing his deep coverage responsibilities.

"That seems to suit him a little better," Stoops said. "I think we have him in a better position, I think it's [about] what we ask him to do. We have to know what [our players'] strengths and weaknesses are and not ask them to do certain things they can't do."

Making sure his players are in the best position to maximize their abilities has become Stoops' top priority this spring.

"We are just trying to get our players in the right positions and be more efficient," said Stoops, who arrived in January. "We need to be as efficient as we can be with our players. I think we weren't as efficient as we needed to be last year."

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/7790886/javon-harris-oklahoma-sooners-benefiting-switch-strong-safety

Javon also said in an interview concerning BV's D:

Too complicated.

Now under Mike Stoops Javon says "the players don't have to think as much they just know what is expected on them in their job, and they know what to do."

Javon says Mike Stoops is having him look at the film to see his mistakes in coverage and he says he sees the mistakes and is correcting them. "With less to think about and a better undersatanding of the defense", he thinks the 2012 Sooner D will be much more efficient.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic