Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Good reviews for Venables after first practice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Good reviews for Venables after first practice

Mar 8, 2012, 9:07 AM

Good reviews for Venables after first practice

Dabo Swinney and defensive players were impressed with new defensive coordinator Brent Venables' first day on the practice fields. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"we repeated some of the plays we didn't get right"

Mar 8, 2012, 9:55 AM

That's 'usually' done in the film room....

There's nothing like physically reinforcing fundamentals... Visual reinforcement should be secondary...

Getting our guys to get it right during practice has to be a good move and a step towards consistency.

So ready for September!

Took the words right out of my mouth

Mar 8, 2012, 9:59 AM

That seems very wrong to accept incorrect plays on the practice field and expect players to 'correct' it academically.

What you said!

Mar 8, 2012, 11:28 AM

How do you not run it till you get it right? It just seems wrong to not do that. I wonder if that has any correlation to players being out of position so much last year. Hmmm...

GO TIGERS!!!!!

maybe a little insight into the 'philosophical' differences

Mar 8, 2012, 11:32 AM

cds mentioned.

you've got morris who preaches 'running 4 plays until youo get them right, then running them again' vs steele's, 'throw everything at them see what sticks then scoop up what doesn't and throw it at them again.'

appears bv and morris go about the business of teaching in the same fashion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously! How can you do it wrong on the field and make

Mar 9, 2012, 11:14 AM [ in reply to "we repeated some of the plays we didn't get right" ]

corrections by visualizing it in the film room?????

1st Impression Venables vs Steele..........

Mar 8, 2012, 9:58 AM

It seems to me that Steele was good at taking good established talent and drawing up a good game plan......as the talent got younger and less experienced he seem to no be as good in the teaching/development business.

Steele may be better suited in the NFL where those guys just need to b given a good game plan...

Venables strikes me as a guy that can take a kid and teach him and grow him into a solid ball player

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: 1st Impression Venables vs Steele..........

Mar 8, 2012, 1:07 PM

As a parent that's what you expect from college when Tavaris and I initially left the verbal commitment from FSU to Clemson I was told that's what we would be getting my son loves him and now I'm sure we are getting in Venables is very similar to Dabo they are young still so the relate a little better Steele used a different method a my son couldn't relate I haven't met him yet but my son is in great hands now.... He isn't getting slot of air play but is cool I'm watching for him to shock the world individually just like the team did last year....it's going to be fun watching him again after two years of being stuck!

Mar 8, 2012, 1:21 PM

I can't wait to see your son play. I'm glad he chose Clemson. All In.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2012, 12:14 AM

Thank you so much!

Mar 10, 2012, 3:41 AM [ in reply to 1st Impression Venables vs Steele.......... ]

It's good you bring up that point though about Steele being so into the game plan and the chess game, because it's important that Venables can draw up solid game plans and be a good X's and O's coach who can prepare, scheme, adjust and all that stuff too. Venables is definitely a guy who can harbor and develop talent talent. He can light a fire in a guy who needs it for sure. Maybe that's where he'll make a big difference and it pay off hopefully.

Re: Front Page Story: Good reviews for Venables after first practice

Mar 8, 2012, 11:43 AM

"They are demanding of being tough and physical around here."

Ha, guess you didn't watch the orange bowl, Brent. The only thing they are demanding of is an extra helping of ice cream.

Such a POSitive ASSessment, as usual.***

Mar 8, 2012, 12:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Good reviews for Venables after first practice

Mar 10, 2012, 9:52 PM

“He chases guys around,” head coach Dabo Swinney said. “Heck, he gets in drills. He demonstrates in some of the drills himself. I think the guys feed off of that.”

No...that is what a coach is supposed to do. If a coach can't demonstrate how to do it, they don't need to be coaching that aspect of the game. I have to demonstrate for my players when they ask me during practice or when I am introducing something new.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic