Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part I
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part I

Feb 8, 2012, 5:05 PM

Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part I

In an exclusive four part series, TigerNet's David Hood sits down with Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips and discusses the state of Clemson athletics. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope people are paying attention to this...

Feb 8, 2012, 5:17 PM

I'm not necessarily a fan or foe of TDP, but regardless of what you think of him, he made some very important points. I hope they will not be ignored.

He was absolutely right about the crowd last night

Feb 8, 2012, 5:20 PM

especially the student section. Very disappointing indeed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: He was absolutely right about the crowd last night

Feb 9, 2012, 9:32 AM

CU Don't blame the students, nobody really gives a rip about basketball look at all the empty seats from season ticket holders.
Heck we have 6 to 8 hours of pregame for football.
2 to 3 hours after a football game

30 minute pregame for basketball!!
15 to 20 post game for basketball!!

Move the students back to mid court make them the vocal point instead of pushing them to the side. They'll come back just like when barnes was here.

Re: He was absolutely right about the crowd last night

Feb 9, 2012, 10:27 AM [ in reply to He was absolutely right about the crowd last night ]

The student attendance is puzzling to me, those seats should be full for every home game.

Puzzling to me as well

Feb 10, 2012, 7:33 AM

Is it just not fun for a student to go to a basketball game at LJ anymore? Has security made it so that the rowdy students don't even bother anymore?

I remember some of my fellow Clemson alumni and myself all went to one of our first home games of this season the weekend of the Wake football game (most of my friends from Clemson are from up north so going to a game together is extremely rare and we make the most of it whenever it happnes now) and we were louder and more rowdy than any of the students. And we're talking about 26-29 year old men here.

Maybe we need to make some changes in the security department... or the marketing department... we gotta get the students to come. Or you can start shelling out their free tickets to alumni who will come to every game.

Which brings me to another point... how about lower ticket prices? Or is that just too insulting and unheard of these days??

Acc Competition not helping

Feb 8, 2012, 5:21 PM

I don't feel the negativity nor apathy. Our product is just not that compelling this year and let's be honest... Our ACC opponents are pathetic again and hard to watch. Acc basketball is very average. Brownell will produce a better product and the interest will return but dont count on the quality opponents to help create interest while we re-tool.

Re: Acc Competition not helping

Feb 8, 2012, 7:20 PM

Certainly there are more options for the high school basketball star after graduation. Not only are we recruiting against the other ACC and SEC teams, but we are also recruiting against AAU, JUCO, Europe, & NBADL that college coaches didn't have to deal with back in the day when we had Rollins, Nance, Campbell, Grant, etc. Talent level simply not what it was.

Re: Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part I

Feb 8, 2012, 5:36 PM

Here is one of my issues: we play at Wake Forest Saturday; I will be there cheering for Tigers. Knowing that we have not won there since 1990 (even as bad as Wake Forest is), if God made me do a prediction I would say we will lose by 2 points with many missed free throws and a missed shot at the buzzer. Am I out in left field? Does the basketball team year after year stick from the foul line? Do we ever win close games, especially on the road? Why do I feel so certain about the ultimate outcome of the game before it is played-is that wrong?

I was a student from 73 to 77

Feb 8, 2012, 5:46 PM

Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the students for the lack of performance of the team but where are the students. They haven't been coming for years. We used to go to games when we knew we were going to lose but we still packed the place. I just don't understand the apathy.

Re: I was a student from 73 to 77- I agree

Feb 8, 2012, 6:01 PM

we used to go just to blow off steam. you probably remeber a year or two then where the team benches were at the end lines for some reason. I remember some coach stomping one of the wooden folding chairs into splinters. I also remeber UVa's coach (Gibson- I think) had his plays on flash cards. He threw them all over the floor and got bounced one game

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was a student from 73 to 77- I agree

Feb 8, 2012, 6:19 PM

Yes all of that but there were some games where we had to sit in the aisles in the upper deck. That was before the fire marshall put the clamps down. People standing all around the concourse. 13,000 attending. It was loud.

Clemson no longer focused on the in state kids who...

Feb 8, 2012, 7:11 PM [ in reply to I was a student from 73 to 77 ]

grew up Clemson fans and are passionate. More out of state kids who really couldn't care less and are not emotionally invested. Clemson needs to get back to its roots a bit.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

clemson is how much larger now than then? aren't there more

Feb 8, 2012, 8:00 PM

instate students because of it?

this is a sincere question, hoping for an accurate answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: clemson is how much larger now than then? aren't there more

Feb 8, 2012, 8:40 PM

Here are the stats on in-state vs out-of-state students:

2011 - In State 12,750 Out Of State 7,161
2010 - In State 12,514 Out Of State 6,939
2009 - In State 12,374 Out Of State 6,737
2008 - In State 12,051 Out Of State 6,266
2007 - In State 11,725 Out Of State 5,860

so there's probably more instate students now than there

Feb 9, 2012, 1:24 AM

was total enrollment in any given year 73-77 i'm guessing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. AND I was an out-of-state student from '74-'78

Feb 9, 2012, 9:38 AM

and NEVER missed a home game in either football or basketball. ######, I was broke as can be and even bought my ticket in the early season when my activity card didn't cover it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Exactly. AND I was an out-of-state student from '74-'78

Feb 9, 2012, 9:32 PM

I'm an out of state student from Boston and I have not missed a football or basketball game (until this semester since I'm interning in Aiken when I can't go to weekday basketball games). Last year I went to maybe 90% of baseball games and 3/4 of the other non-revenue sports.

I don't think the problem is in-state vs out-of-state, there are many out-of-state students involved in IPTAY and Central Spirit. There just needs to be a culture change that Clemson athletics is important.

It's not uncommon to see kids on campus in duke

Feb 9, 2012, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Clemson no longer focused on the in state kids who... ]

or unc attire.... I think the students think it's okay to be tiger fans in fall, but when basketball season, go to another (unfortunately ACC) team to root for in bball....

Jayhawk attire doesn't irk me as much as a CU student wearing UNC or Duke crap... I mean, either you're all in or you're not....

Personally, I hate basketball.... but I've been to a few bball games to cheer on the tigers.... and you will not catch me donning carolina blue or any duke crap for that matter....

Re: It's not uncommon to see kids on campus in duke

Feb 9, 2012, 10:26 AM

Unfortunately, when I went to Clemson, there was no early sign in or draft for tickets. You went to the game and got your seat or bleachers court side. You were early enough to get in to get a seat or your place for harassing the other team and coach, behind their bench. Student today are kicked to the curb for the dollars. Long term, I feel Clemson suffers in fan support later. Passionate fans will always be just that. They go to all the games. Get the students back along the side court and the crowd noise and support will increase!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not uncommon to see kids on campus in duke

Feb 11, 2012, 4:23 PM

I remember my buddy and I taking our books, and lining up at LJ...8am to see Clemson play UNC, that mid-afternoon.
Charlie Pell stopped by that morning and chatted with everyone. Good memories. (don't remember seeing other schools apparel, though)
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson no longer focused on the in state kids who...

Feb 9, 2012, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Clemson no longer focused on the in state kids who... ]

Being an alumni that came from out of state, I find your comments absolutely laughable. Prior to transferring to Clemson my freshman year from a small school in Philadelphia, I really had never heard of the school before, and I had never watched a single game of college football in person nor on TV. A family friend convinced me to take a look at CU in my transfer search, and the rest is history. I have attended nearly every single home football game since I have stepped onto campus 12 years ago, despite having to drive 5 hours each way, and working on Sunday morning. I religiously keep up on the news and events surrounding our school. Clemson is a special place and gets in your blood no matter where you come from or what background you have.

There were numerous students posting on here the other day indicating that this past week was "exam week" on campus. We all remember these days very clearly, where it seemed like the faculty was conspiring against the student body by scheduling all of their exams in the same week, every semester without fail. Being an academic institution, the non-student-athletes first priority is to their studies. You cannot hold it against them for trying to achieve something for themselves.

Re: I was a student from 73 to 77

Feb 11, 2012, 4:11 PM [ in reply to I was a student from 73 to 77 ]

I agree...I was there.
GO TIGERS!!!

Re: I was a student from 73 to 77

Feb 13, 2012, 4:57 PM [ in reply to I was a student from 73 to 77 ]

For years? Really? I'm a current senior and the student section was ALWAYS packed my freshman and sophomore years. Last year the ticket distribution was moved online, and now many students sign up for the lottery that may not actually go to the game. There are about 2,000 student seats and they get regularly grabbed up by students who would be too lazy to stand in line for a spot, and a lot of times are too lazy to even walk over to Littlejohn if they can watch on tv. Make the tickets first come, first served again and you'll see student attendance pick back up.

Feb 8, 2012, 5:47 PM

I AM IN! I support Coach Brad and the Staff, they are a class act , and it will show thru the team soon!

Re: Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part I***

Feb 8, 2012, 5:53 PM

Re: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part I- Amen

Feb 8, 2012, 5:54 PM

100% true. How Clemson people arent into hoops is beyond me. I'm glad the said this

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2012, 6:11 PM

Like with football, I think the better product Clemson puts on the court (or field) the more likely people are to spend money to watch & support them financially. I think the athletic department should consider setting Clemson Basketball apart from it's competition with it's facilities. I think that could help recruiting in basketball, just like it did with football. (and therefore performance & ticket sales)

I think transforming Littlejohn into the football indoor practice facility and building a basketball arena that overlooked the lake & campus would help recruiting. It would also show that the administration was committed to the basketball program.

well that isnt happening

Feb 8, 2012, 6:15 PM

we just built a new facility , remodeled LJ, and have plans to build another practice gym. nice to have a wish list but you may want to get real

Feb 8, 2012, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part I- Amen ]

rotflmao. you do realize that a football field is slighty larger than a basketball court. what would they do with those 10000 seats in there and the existing practice facility. and just where would this new facility be. i have seen some big time idiotic posts on here but this one is #1 with a bullet. and i am still slapping my knee as i type.

Big Problem: We are a Football School...Not a BB School

Feb 8, 2012, 7:32 PM

We occasionally play good BB. But that is not Clemson's focus and the fans don't identify themselves as a basketball school.

Anytime Clemson has a good run in BB, it is Gravy for the program.

The only thing TDP said that I strongly agreed with was the treatment of OP when he had accomplished great success and our non-BB fan based acted poorly because the standards of Football we being applied to BB.

But, not fan would want to pack Little John to watch what is going on now......Sorry...that dog won't hunt.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Considering tickets to home BB games comes along with

Feb 9, 2012, 9:43 AM

tuition, the students should put their azzes in those seats and support the team. It's pathetic that they don't fill the student section.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

WVU disagrees. Dabo's 0-5 vs non-cons finishing in AP Top 25***

Feb 9, 2012, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Big Problem: We are a Football School...Not a BB School ]

Mickey needs to read this interview...

Feb 8, 2012, 7:39 PM

His post today appears to be exactly what TDP was making a point on.

Remember...sports is "ENTERTAINMENT" & success matters......

Feb 8, 2012, 7:56 PM

with filling the seats...no matter how much one loves the team or his school.

Go TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson anything is MORE than entertainment for me.***

Feb 8, 2012, 8:54 PM

Really

Feb 8, 2012, 7:57 PM

First if you cant make at least 70 percent free throws no scholarship this isn't a one night problem. If you want more people to come how about support more instate students who grew up loving the tigers and their families will attend more sporting events. Quit spitting on the hard working programs like AG THAT BUILT THIS SCHOOL. I doubt anyone that has a say so at this school has and ounce of true Clemson Pride. How many championships did Miami win in football without filling up the stands. Quit blaming the fans and win. More instate students would greatly help along with self and state pride. We should win if no one was there.

Re: Really

Feb 9, 2012, 9:45 AM

That is a great post

TDP

Feb 8, 2012, 7:57 PM

Is right. People quit when they hear they are bad. That's why I quit getting fb tickets when Dabo said I was bad for complaining about start times. I guess I will stop buying bb season tickets bc TDP said I was bad for missing a couple of games this year. Way to give an interview and slam the people who buy your business product.

That's why you quit getting football tickets?***

Feb 9, 2012, 9:21 AM

Re: TDP

Feb 9, 2012, 9:46 AM [ in reply to TDP ]

Good grief if thats all it take for to quit then BYE

First thing he needs to do is get the students involved...

Feb 8, 2012, 8:02 PM

by getting ALL student seats all around the court in the lower level. That should be first and foremost. So what if the big season ticket holders get mad....they are not showing up for the games anyway...other than for big games. Create some incentive to get the kids there....some kind of raffle every game...things like free books for a semester, a donation to a sororities or frat houses for the most in attendance or which group makes the most noise ($200 bucks a game is not gonna break Clemson, but would go a long way for them), some reserved parking places for a month, lots of free tickets to use in the canteen.....and lawd, let some of them be Chic-fil-a!!! Clemson needs to get creative. Let the students have the arena like Duke does.

And he also needs to remember talking about OP,,,he left the cubbard bare while sneaking out in the middle of the night.

There are ways to fill Littlejohn, even in a down season.

Using your marketing class well cutiger250***

Feb 9, 2012, 6:32 AM

It ain't rocket science... and I sure as heck

Feb 10, 2012, 7:56 AM

don't have a marketing degree

Re: First thing he needs to do is get the students involved...

Feb 9, 2012, 9:48 AM [ in reply to First thing he needs to do is get the students involved... ]

You got my vote to take over LJ

Student Online Lottery Needs To Go

Feb 8, 2012, 8:36 PM

Student attendance has been down ever since they introduced that system

^^THIS^^

Feb 8, 2012, 8:45 PM

I'm an old alum, but I really do think this system of pre-distribution of tickets is terrible. I'm not fully up on how the current system works, but as I understand it students now have to pre-apply for tickets. That is stupid!!

When I was a student half the games I went to were on the spur of the moment. Nobody planned there week out to do anything - let alone for going to BB games.

Also, I think the only reason for this ticket system is to prevent camping out before the big games. Isn't that the kind of environment we want. Where people actually come early and are excited to be there. This system drains that enthusiam away!

Re: ^^THIS^^

Feb 8, 2012, 8:50 PM

What happened is that some students complained to student government about having to wait in line for tickets (and for big games not being guaranteed a ticket because some slackers didn't want to show up early) so being the smart people that they are, student government helped got rid of the "first come first serve" ticket method.

Now one week before the game you have to go online and register for a "lottery". Many students don't remember to do this online process (how are you going to remember for so many games) and then think because they didn't sign up that they can't go to the game when in fact there are many extra tickets for most games. Sure it helps for the 2 popular games we have each year vs Duke or UNC or whoever but for the other games all it does is deter students from going to the game.

Agree, and when they do go, they don't go early - in fact

Feb 8, 2012, 9:17 PM

many seem to come late. This situation saps the energy even out of the big games that I've been to since this system went into effect.

I think this is a HUGE issue and TDP needs to become better aware of how this affects student attendance.

Can't tell you how glad I am that...

Feb 10, 2012, 8:02 AM

we didn't have the "lottery system" when I was in school. What an AWFUL idea. You've got to be kidding me.

Throwing beers to one another and passing around a handle of vodka.... then passing around the bottle of Juicy Juice grape Juice.... while standing in line for the Duke game is one of my fondest memories of college.

Camping out was half the fun

Feb 9, 2012, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Student Online Lottery Needs To Go ]

I was lucky enough to be there for the Barnes years. We had a blast getting out there early for tickets. They would open the tickets at around 8 and we could still make it to class.

The only time they really let people stay for longer than 1 night was when the ticket distribution was on a monday and even then we were inside littlejohn on the track. (Inside littlejohn wasn't as much fun since you couldn't bring your buddies Jim and Jack)

Maybe he should leave too

Feb 8, 2012, 8:55 PM

now we know why Daybo feels so comfortable calling out Clemson fans...
they feel entitled to unconditional support before they've actually accomplished anything.

Keep hiring longshots and crossing your fingers Terry Don.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is ignorance bliss?***

Feb 9, 2012, 9:24 AM

TDP looks like he is measuring fish...

Feb 8, 2012, 9:01 PM

Nm

No, measuring his progress since arriving at Clemson***

Feb 8, 2012, 9:43 PM

$5 Footlong***

Feb 9, 2012, 9:25 AM [ in reply to TDP looks like he is measuring fish... ]

Remember, our basketball team's struggles are your fault

Feb 8, 2012, 9:37 PM

according to Terry Don. Yes, since you didn't show up, they can't shoot free throws, they can't box out. Since you didn't watch on TV, they can't shoot. They are on scholarship, but since you choose to spend time with your family instead of spend money to watch them lose at hoke, they can't play.

Yes, Tiger fan's it's your fault that our team, for the last 20 years, is the epitome of mediocrity. So, if you show up, thing will change,.......RIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

It is partially the fans fault. Recruits don't want to go..

Feb 9, 2012, 12:53 AM

to a school where fans don't care. That's why UVA and Maryland usually suck at football.

Then don't have the football recuits leave at halftime

Feb 9, 2012, 9:09 AM

and have a giant section of what would have been student tickets empty.

Or at least spread the them out so that it doesn't look like 5 rows of empty seats when they go for the rest of their recruiting visit.

The crowd did suck, but to tell the fans to "wake up" is

Feb 9, 2012, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Remember, our basketball team's struggles are your fault ]

stupid. It is never Clemson's fault on anything, always the fans/customers. They have made the student ticket process more cumbersome which a 19 year old will not respond to. The University controls ALOT of those courtside seats you see empty for guests, recruits, administrators. Where the heck are they? What about our abysmal ACC championship record in all sports over the last 20 years many of which are under TDP's watch. I am 23 year IPTAY member but when I tried to buy season tickets this year they wanted to put me in the upper arena in the corner so I took it that they don't need me.
I don't want to lose Brad and applaud Pres Barker, Billy D, and Jack Legget who were at the game supporting the team, but TDP needs to look in the mirror and wake up himself.

They can put people in the stands

Feb 8, 2012, 11:48 PM

But don't fuss that they aren't willing to pay for this product. We support our team because we care that it was a close game, but there are many better places to spend money than on this team. If TDP cares about people in the stands, open up the doors and move people down into the lower seats 10 mins into the game. The triangle of people/revenue/success balance each other. You can lose like this and expect people to pay. You can fill the place up though--doesn't take a law degree for that.

Right on TDP. Some of the people here who complain about

Feb 8, 2012, 11:52 PM

him are ridiculous. Because others of us remember the Athletic Department heads from the past. Many do take a lot of what we have in a staff for granted. Terry Don sounds like he has the right attitude in comparison.

notice this post has no TUs***

Feb 10, 2012, 8:10 AM

Do they still have Central Spirit committee at Clemson?***

Feb 9, 2012, 7:29 AM

Re: Do they still have Central Spirit committee at Clemson?***

Feb 9, 2012, 9:35 PM

Central Spirit has a small block of seats in the first few rows of the seats next to the Clemson bench. We're there at least 30 min to an hour before every basketball game (look for us)

Wish other students would make getting to basketball games a priority as well.

Bottom line... If you love Clemson, support the team no

Feb 9, 2012, 8:23 AM

what. If you want to complain about the competition or this or that, dont come to the games or talk negatively!!! I agree with him 100%

If you build it, they will come...

Feb 9, 2012, 9:24 AM

I attended almost every home game in Littlejohn in my 4 years as a student and loved it. My first game as a freshman was Coach Ellis's first game. It was exciting watching the Tigers build up to Horace Grant's senior year. Who knows how far we could have gone if Grayson Marshall had been healthy for the NCAA tournament.

Reality is, though, you're not gonna draw the bandwagon fans (ie - pack Littlejohn) until you get the W's.

Most of us realized before the season started that this was gonna be a long, cold winter for Tiger b-ball. I'm hoping for a W this Saturday @ WF...I think we have a good shot, but any W's after that this season are gonna be tough to come by.

I support Coach Brownell 100% and believe he'll make this program great!

Just like in football the students are jerked around. In old

Feb 9, 2012, 9:47 AM

days they got a little feeling that the Athletic Dept. cared about them.I am a 79 grad. son is 2009 grad. nephew 2005 grad., nephew 2001 grad., brother 1967 grad. so i know a liitle of what i speak.

student section Nosebled in football except tiny sliver by hill.crazy ways to distribute tix. banning signs that were funny not vulgar from littlejohn.on and on!

Exactly. Make it fun for the students to come

Feb 10, 2012, 8:17 AM

and be as loud as they want/ wear what they want/ bring what they want (obviously no weapons or alcohol)/ play some better music (get the stupid pep band out of there... are we the only school in the conference that has a pep band at bball games???)

Haven't we had 20+ wins for the last 4 years?***

Feb 10, 2012, 2:14 AM [ in reply to If you build it, they will come... ]

Yep, and almost all the home games were sellouts.***

Feb 10, 2012, 8:17 AM

Feb 9, 2012, 9:44 AM

Put a Chick-fil-A in Littlejohn and the fans will come.

TDP is right on about this one***

Feb 9, 2012, 10:41 AM

Feb 9, 2012, 10:59 AM

IMO, the problem is the majority of fans live in Anderson, Spartanburg, Greenville, even Columbia and Charleston. For them, (myself included) making the trip to campus on a weeknight for 30-40 minutes of entertainment is difficult, especially given the frequency of home games and them being televised.

TV blackouts would force those interested in the games to attend and gimmicks like Furman’s “all-inclusive concessions” would lure fans and students in just for the food. Unfortunately, until we put a Duke/UNC like team on the court, filling seats will always be a problem.

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic