Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Finally
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Finally

Jan 19, 2012, 12:08 AM

Finally

A flurry of rumors and innuendo became reality late Wednesday evening as Brent Venables confirmed he has accepted the defensive coordinator position at Clemson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting

Jan 19, 2012, 12:13 AM

We shall see how this goes. I wonder how it'll set up since he interviewed for the top job a couple of years ago. Maybe TDP setting up a back up plan?

Hmmm

Jan 19, 2012, 12:14 AM

Very Interesting.

DEFENSIVE RECRUIT GOLDMAN FROM DC

Jan 19, 2012, 8:28 AM

Hope this will help clemson land that big DL stud from DC area.

Re: Interesting

Jan 19, 2012, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Interesting ]

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, TDP conducted a national search???***

Jan 19, 2012, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Interesting ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Well, he made it all the way to the Midwest this time***

Jan 19, 2012, 7:48 AM

FINALLY!

Jan 19, 2012, 12:14 AM

So fired up, I can't sleep... We are getting this thing together... Nat'l Signing Day is awfully close!! Go Tigers!

Re: Do we have 4 DE's

Jan 19, 2012, 12:16 AM

to put on the field at the same time???

I bet we will

Jan 19, 2012, 3:13 AM

null

No article has ever been more appropriately titled.+1 Crump***

Jan 19, 2012, 12:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To infinity and beyond.***

Jan 19, 2012, 12:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I just found my moving buddy."

Jan 19, 2012, 8:21 AM

My two year old son loves Toy Story... that's how I know this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Reference to Crump's point total.***

Jan 19, 2012, 8:38 AM

Re: Front Page Story: Finally

Jan 19, 2012, 1:36 AM

Now I will go through post confirmation depression. I have been checking T-Net every 5 mins since the conclusion of the Orange Bowl. Oh well, the extra sleep will be nice.

Jan 19, 2012, 8:43 PM

10-04. Now the anxiety of waiting until September. The only break will be Spring Practice.

He visited CU recruit. Didn't visit OU recruit. Shocker! :-)

Jan 19, 2012, 2:04 AM

And they didn't bring Shannon in for an interview. This was a fait accompli the from day 1.

Venables seems like a mixed bag of results at OU, so I'm uneasy about this hire. This season, almighty OU (one of the most talented teams in FBS) gave up 40+ points each in losses to Baylor, TxTech(###), & OKSt.

2006-2011, Venables’ scoring D’s ranked: 19, 19, 58, 7, 33, 31. Not bad. Not stellar. The Big 12 has some great offenses but nobody fielded more talent than OU.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. Should be better than Steele. Not sure if he'll do better than Koenning. Based on his performance at OU, I'm leary about having a few ### performances. It'll be ineresting.

If he's successful at Clemson, he'll take an HC job within 2 years. If he's unsuccessful, he'll be gone after 3 years. Might want to rent a house.

Re: He visited CU recruit. Didn't visit OU recruit. Shocker! :-)

Jan 19, 2012, 8:49 PM

I'm convinced, the board of whatever, saw Shannon as a distraction with the stench of the "U" debacle. Is this fair? No. But in the limelight, perception is reality. Let's see how perception translates to stopping offenses.

Welcome aboard Brent & Family!

Go Tigahz. I love Orange&Purple!

I am uneasy also

Jan 19, 2012, 4:01 AM

I researched Bill Clark and really liked him. It seemed that he could stop the option and the spread.
I will tell you this, if Venables cannot adapt to college football's ever changing offense (spread, option, triple option etc..) then he will not be successful at Clemson. Kevin Steele never seemed to understand non-traditional offenses. (Either that or he was too stubborn to change his ways...) And this is what ultimately led him out the door. Obviously I want him to be successful, but I am skeptically optimistic.

what i want to know....

Jan 19, 2012, 6:57 AM

...how does he do against the triple option? If we don't start beating that mediocre team from Atlanta, i'm going to go crazy...

Endy?......does he run the "Tackley"***

Jan 19, 2012, 7:51 AM

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Endy?......does he run the "Tackley"***

Jan 19, 2012, 8:52 PM

I gotta say, that's just funny!

Message was edited by: facman®

I'm either having a brain cramp or never knew

Jan 19, 2012, 7:53 AM

but what is Defensive "NOY"?

Re: I'm either having a brain cramp or never knew

Jan 19, 2012, 8:16 AM

i was just as curious...I looked it up on the Big 12 website...newcomer of the year

Thanks. Was wondering the same last night. Lazy.***

Jan 19, 2012, 8:40 AM

Although I thought Shannon was the man for the job

Jan 19, 2012, 8:11 AM

Welcome and good luck to Venables. Our D really can't get much worse than it was this year. I do have one question.....why did they only list stats from 2008 and 2009? What happened in 2010 and 2011?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Although I thought Shannon was the man for the job

Jan 19, 2012, 8:18 AM

because the stats suffered and his D looked better those previous years...they eventually mention his defense's rankings in those years but caveat it with the fact that he faced X amount of top offenses.

Jan 19, 2012, 8:37 AM

Guess this year the outliers were Texas Tech (which was their best off performance all year I think) and Oklahoma State, which they were extremely good. However they killed Oklahoma. But his body of work is much more impressive than Steele

Jan 19, 2012, 8:56 PM

Heck, Coach Reedy at Goose Creek High School was more impressive than Steele.

Jan 19, 2012, 8:38 AM

Coached in more Bowl games (18) then USuC has been to. Tweet That!!!!

Mr. Venables, 1 request: please teach our defense how to

Jan 19, 2012, 8:59 AM

properly tackle.

Thank you.

Ok Brent, kick some butt!

Jan 19, 2012, 9:33 AM

You 'da man! Now teach 'em how to tackle proper!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The pro-Venables stats in this article are so cherry-picked

Jan 19, 2012, 12:33 PM

Ranking his Ds against notoriously bad Big 12 Ds? The stats sound like they came straight from the AD's PR department.

2004-2011, Venables’ scoring D’s chronologically ranked: 11, 37, 19, 19, 58, 7, 33, 31. Not bad. Not stellar considering that OU annually ranks in the Top 15 in recruiting…

2004-2011, OU’s recruiting classes (per Rivals) chronologically ranked: 8, 3, 9, 14, 6, 13, 7, 14. So unless OU’s recruited talent is ALL on the offensive side of the ball, I think one could argue that Venables’ Ds underperformed their talent because…

Texas was the only team in the Big 12 to out-recruit OU in talent— but not every year, and not by a lot. No other Big 12 team (except Nebraska) even came close. The problem hasn’t been OU’s defensive performance against Texas (which has been mostly respectable, except for giving up 45 points in 2005 & 2008). The problem has been OU’s shockingly bad defensive performances against other teams with far, far, far less talent. (Sound like any team that we know and love?) For example, in 2011, OU gave up 40+ points in losses to Baylor, Texas Tech (really?), and OKSt. Many, if not most, of OU’s losses under Venables (2004-2011) came from his Ds giving up 30-40+ points to teams with far, far inferior talent.

Venables is probably a good DC, but based on my cursory look, I don’t think he’s a great one, and I don’t expect him to make Clemson’s D great. Better than Steele’s Ds, but not great. I hope I'm wrong.

players make great defenses. Yes you need a great coach,

Jan 19, 2012, 8:46 PM

but we still don't have great players on defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic