Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gamecocks say they hope we hire Venables and laugh
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 3,090

Gamecocks say they hope we hire Venables and laugh

Jan 15, 2012, 11:34 PM

why is this for those of you who know about this coach?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know more about Gamecock fans than I do Venables...

Jan 15, 2012, 11:36 PM

which is sufficient to explain the "why"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL agree!!!!***

Jan 15, 2012, 11:38 PM

Honestly they said they hope we dont get Shannon but

Jan 15, 2012, 11:40 PM

they would love for us to get venables......... no explanation as to why though....... which was why I was wondering...... I thought venables was supposed to be pretty good. I am hearing now that alot of fans are wanting to run him out of Oklahoma......... I guess time will tell

probably because they had an "off" year this year...

Jan 15, 2012, 11:48 PM

for his standards.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=11802288

They played better offenses than we face

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanx for the info!!! I appreciate it!***

Jan 15, 2012, 11:54 PM

Re: Thanx for the info!!! I appreciate it!***

Jan 15, 2012, 11:57 PM

Can you imagine how many points Steele would have given up if he had to face

Ok State, Baylor (this year), KSU, Okla, Texas Tech, and on and on and on

Yea the dude had a bad year this year. He also played the best offenses in the nation every Saturday

Re: probably because they had an "off" year this year...

Jan 16, 2012, 12:03 AM [ in reply to probably because they had an "off" year this year... ]

Steele had an off year and Clemson fired him. Steele was not the big problem.

Oh this won't go over well, but here goes: Morris' offense was the biggest problem. Got figured out and got progressively worse, especially by the end of the season. Fast scoring or no scoring kept D on the field. The defense was more consistent than the offense. Check the scores and see if I'm right.

Yes, Venables isn't a scary hire. If OU isn't willing to pony up to keep him for a lateral move, then that's saying something. And then he has to deal with the same problem with the offense that Steele did.

The problem is bigger than the defense.

Re: probably because they had an "off" year this year...

Jan 16, 2012, 12:16 AM

You are right,the problem lies at the door steps of our HC

go away coot***

Jan 16, 2012, 1:37 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

offense did not get figured out...

Jan 16, 2012, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Re: probably because they had an "off" year this year... ]

games we lost, turnovers killed us.

Pretty well pounded VT in the ACCCG and we were moving the ball at will in the orange bowl until the turnovers. First fumble was a fluke, next two turnovers came when Morris and Boyd began to press because they saw the defense was given up a TD every time WVU had the ball.

Sorry, just don't buy it

Jan 16, 2012, 12:35 AM [ in reply to Re: probably because they had an "off" year this year... ]

No doubt the offense wasn't peak at many points in the season. And I don't place the blame for all of our losses on the defense at all.

However, I saw our defense look utterly lost too often this year. Not the one or two blown plays kind of lost that you can chalk up to a mistake by one player, but the kind of lost where the whole team couldn't figure out what page they were on.

The offense was by no means top notch against WV, but the defense showed no signs of ever stopping WV from scoring. Even the initial 3 and out was due to a bad pass by the WV QB. The defense simply had no answer, at all, for many offense this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

go away coot***

Jan 16, 2012, 1:37 AM [ in reply to Re: probably because they had an "off" year this year... ]

An off year?

Jan 16, 2012, 3:13 AM [ in reply to probably because they had an "off" year this year... ]

Try an off two years 53rd in total defense last year and 55th in total defense this year. I am not impressed at all. Oklahoma fans want him gone. We fired Steele for one bad year and this guy is worse IMO. I really hope we get Shannon.

They also are playing better offenses...

Jan 16, 2012, 8:05 AM

Shannon was a great DC, but for all of you acting like you know how Shannon reported the violations to the administration, question: Why did he take the head coaching job at an institution that was allowing this to go on?

The Shapiro Scandal reportedly was going on from 2002-2010. I know the retort will be when you are offered the head coaching job you take it. I would think if you are aware of improprieties going on and the administration is doing nothing about it, you pass on that offer. The reports I'm reading was he "threatened his assistants with their jobs" if they were caught speaking with Shapiro, yet 3 of his assistants, Clint Hurtt, Jeff Stoutland, and Aubrey Hill have been connected to Shapiro. 12 of his players, whom he allegedly warned were also named. I don't know, if a University is not willing to police itself, I don't think I take that job.

Furthermore, as the head coach, he fired his OC Nix because Nix wanted to run the spread offense. He wanted to keep the Pro Set.

Lastly, this little tidbit after the 2008 season:

In the immediate aftermath of the bowl game, Shannon fired his offensive coordinator, Patrick Nix, over philosophical differences. Nix wanted to employ more of a spread attack, whereas Shannon remained committed to Miami's traditional pro style offense. Shannon eventually hired former Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles assistant coach Mark Whipple for the position.

Nix's departure was followed by news that Robert Marve, a redshirt-freshman quarterback who started 11 of Miami's 13 games during the season, asked for a release to transfer to another school.[15] Marve cited a strained relationship with Shannon as his reason for leaving. Shannon granted the request, but initially included broad restrictions blocking Marve from transferring to any school in the ACC, SEC, or state of Florida. After the conditions drew harsh criticism from Marve's father, his former high school coach, and members of the media, Shannon softened his stance somewhat by dropping the blanket SEC prohibition and barring Marve from three SEC schools in particular: Florida, LSU, and Tennessee. In defending the new restrictions, the athletic department alleged that Marve's camp initiated improper contact with the three schools during the season. After a hearing before the university's athletics appeals committee, Eugene Marve claimed that Shannon did not produce any evidence of the allegation and instead argued that allowing the banned transfers would hurt Miami in the "recruiting wars." Ultimately, the committee partially repealed the restrictions, permitting Marve to transfer in-state to either South Florida or Central Florida but upholding the prohibitions on a transfer to Florida, LSU, or Tennessee.

On the heels of the Marve saga, wide receiver Jermaine McKenzie announced that he was transferring to Memphis. McKenzie became the fourth member of Shannon's first recruiting class to transfer out of the program during the off-season, joining Marve, and running back Shawnbrey McNeal.

Shannon's staff suffered more upheaval when defensive coordinator Bill Young left to assume the same position at Oklahoma State, his alma mater, in late January. Young's departure made him the third offensive or defensive coordinator to leave the program during Shannon's two seasons as head coach, joining Nix and former defensive coordinator Tim Walton, both of whom were fired. North Carolina assistant John Lovett was hired to replace Young in February.

The off-season losses continued when freshmen backup quarterbacks Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook both asked to be released from their scholarships just before the start of the 2009 season.

I'

Re: Honestly they said they hope we dont get Shannon but

Jan 15, 2012, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Honestly they said they hope we dont get Shannon but ]

Have you even read a single word coming out of OK. Stoops is offering Venables 750k to stay where he is at. The coots are scared, and trying to intimadate the hire. They are seeing their days of success against us coming to a quick end. I assure you they want be a laugh coming from a single one of them come late November. He who laughs first, laughs LAST!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree.......... just trying to find out more info like

everyone else.

Re: Honestly they said they hope we dont get Shannon but

Jan 16, 2012, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Honestly they said they hope we dont get Shannon but ]

And if we were to hire Shannon they would say that they are glad we hired shannon and not Venables.They will always trash us no matter what we do,and I will always trash them.Look Venables is a great coach,he recruits well,he developes his players,and will bring a level of toughness to Clemson that we have lacked for a long time.Dont listen to the crap peckers,if they could have got Venables when Ellis left they would hired him in a skinney minute

We'll see who laughs last...

because as the saying goes "He who laughs last laughs loudest".

Re: We'll see who laughs last...

Jan 16, 2012, 12:01 AM

Well we will be having one h&ll of a yeeeeehaaaaaaa!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh yes..Let's pay attention to what coots say. They always

Jan 16, 2012, 12:12 AM

have our best interest at heart!!!! Good grief!!!! Why do you people even care what they say?????

Did you ask them why they went with Ward as DC

Jan 16, 2012, 1:43 AM

when supposedly Spursack's phone was blowing up with all kinds of DC's wanting the spot?

Re: Gamecocks say they hope we hire Venables and laugh

Jan 16, 2012, 4:48 AM

Think it is their way of hiding their anxieties....we get a jam up DC and they know their little run over us will be history...starting this year in the valley

Replies: 22
| visibility 3,090
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic