Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Hopkins says he expects to play in Orange Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Hopkins says he expects to play in Orange Bowl

Dec 29, 2011, 5:51 PM

Hopkins says he expects to play in Orange Bowl

Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins said Thursday that he expects to play in the Discover Orange Bowl next Wednesday vs. West Virginia. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love to have Hopkins, but only if it's safe

Dec 29, 2011, 8:02 PM

I'm a little worried that they are describing this as a "mild concussion" when it obviously is not. It's at minimum a grade II concussion and very likely a grade IIIa based on his description of what happened. That means at minimum he should be out a week (which could clear him in time for the game)- and that's only if it's his first concussion.

I'm sure the team physicians will handle things appropriately but I would much rather miss him for a game than risk second impact syndrome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Love to have Hopkins, but only if it's safe

Dec 29, 2011, 8:10 PM

I am completely against players with brain injuries such as concussions playing... but how can you make assumptions on how bad the injury is...

Do you know how fast his car was going when it eventually hit the tree.

Have you evaluated him with a standard concussion test?

On another note, there should be a neutral evaluator involved in concussions for both professional and collegiate athletes to negate the 'he is risking a more serious injury' debte

Based off Hopkin's description...

Dec 30, 2011, 2:00 AM

Even a first year Athletic Training student (like myself) could tell that he probably has worse than a grade 1 concussion (read "mild") based on the description. A lot of those guys who get concussions on the field don't "wake up" after the concussion. Hopkin's hit his head so hard that he was "knocked out"... So the physician who commented above is making very valid points on the likelihood that this is more serious than "mild". If he is still suffering from headaches then he most definitely shouldn't be out on the field "running" like the article claims he is doing, either.

I'm just glad that he's safe and that it wasn't more serious than this. I hope he recovers in time for the game but it sounds like he should sit this one out. :(

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo

Dec 30, 2011, 9:47 AM

It doesn't take a physician to read the part where he was "knocked out," does not remember a block of time, and still has headaches to know that the concussion is more than a grade 1 "mild" concussion. But yes, I happen to have more training that just what I read on the internet.

And for deroberts - if you read my last sentence I said that I trust the team physicians will handle it correctly. I'm not trying to start controversy - the only reason I posted is to make sure casual fans realize that this is a more serious concussion than the "mild" word indicates. And if the team physicians decide he can't play, then it's because second impact syndrome is devastating and I'd rather lose a game (not saying we would without Nuke, but that's what people are afraid of) than see anyone have to go through that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Based off Hopkin's description...

Dec 30, 2011, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Based off Hopkin's description... ]

You can also be "knocked out" several other ways by a car wreck. The simple shock of being in a wreck can cause some people to lose consciousness, and the deployment of an airbag can also be a major contributor. It's also possible that he didn't actually pass out, but moreso blacked out, which can easily happen during very intense situations.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it is much more clear-cut in a football hit than it is in car wreck.

Re: Love to have Hopkins, but only if it's safe

Dec 29, 2011, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Love to have Hopkins, but only if it's safe ]

so you can diagnose what grade a concussion is by what you read on the internet. you must be a regular dr kildaire. if it is ok i will let the team doctors decide who plays and who doesnt

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well, he is physician....;-)***

Dec 29, 2011, 8:34 PM

Glad you are okay!!!!

Dec 29, 2011, 8:11 PM

Hey Nuke!

We hope to see you on Wednesday night but most of all, and I think the fan base as whole agrees when I say that we're just glad you're okay and with your teammates down in Florida. It was such terrible weather that morning and I hope you have found some comfort this week. Be safe and best of luck with practices over the next few days. We all love ya and wish you the best!!!! Try and shake it if you can!!! We need ya buddy!!!! GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

WVU: Prepare for a curbstomping!!!!***

Dec 29, 2011, 8:20 PM

Re: WVU: Prepare for a curbstomping!!!!***

Dec 29, 2011, 11:14 PM

Someone needs to curbstomp the pushy dumb broad reporter from Sammy's interview. "I know what complacency means, but what do you mean?" "Were you recruited by Miami?" Go back to doing the Saturday morning weather reports in Homestead.

Re: WVU: Prepare for a curbstomping!!!!***

Dec 30, 2011, 10:04 AM

This is an awesome post. Sammy is too nice to say anything bad to her though.

Prediction..........

Dec 30, 2011, 10:02 AM

WVU will be forced to play man. That zone crap will not fly unless their blitzes are very effective. If we're on our game, though, the blitzes will not bring enough pressure on Tajh and he'll pick them apart.

The definition of awesome!

I sure hope so, we need him out there on the field***

Dec 30, 2011, 10:09 AM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic