Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Discover Orange Bowl ticket sales slower than expected
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Discover Orange Bowl ticket sales slower than expected

Dec 13, 2011, 5:38 PM

Discover Orange Bowl ticket sales slower than expected

Ticket sales for the Discover Orange Bowl are going slower than many expected, according to Clemson ticket manager Travis Furbee. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty obvious we don't have this problem if this game is

Dec 13, 2011, 5:42 PM

played on New Year's day.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Exactly. Heck, I'd probably be able to bring people other

Dec 13, 2011, 5:43 PM

than my wife & I if it were then too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yep, I have work/school.***

Dec 13, 2011, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Pretty obvious we don't have this problem if this game is ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

CU & WVA have dedicated traveling fan bases. If these two

Dec 14, 2011, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Pretty obvious we don't have this problem if this game is ]

schools are having problems with their allotment, then maybe these bonehead bowl bubbas can reconfigure the schedules by next year.

There's no incentive for the "bowl bubbas" to change the

Dec 14, 2011, 9:32 AM

scheduled date/time. If the fans dont buy the tickets, the university automatically has to buy them. Its written into the BCS contract. So the bowl committees get an automatic, guaranteed sellout every time.

There was an excellent article in the USA today, back in september I believe, that stated how the average team that goes to a BCS bowl ends up losing a ton of cash bacause of guaranteed ticket sales and the fact that the bowl committee forces the university to use a specific hotel and doesnt let the university negotiate for its own discounted price. The bowl committees are bought off by one hotel then the school is forced to buy 150 rooms at that hotel at premium price, not discounted price. There was an example that the Fiesta bowl teams last year paid 80% over market rates for their hotel rooms vs what regular customers paid in the same area. Its all one big a$$ rip off.

You can probably find the article by google.

If the game were New Years Day, I'd definitely be going

Dec 13, 2011, 5:43 PM

but I can't with it on a freaking Wednesday...after taking a week off traveling and visiting families.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

How many of those 17,500 are in the endzones of the upper

Dec 13, 2011, 5:45 PM

deck? 17,000?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo.

Dec 13, 2011, 10:55 PM

Sadly, most resort to Stubhub to get decent tickets.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ding ding ding!

Dec 14, 2011, 9:48 AM [ in reply to How many of those 17,500 are in the endzones of the upper ]

StubHub to the rescue for good seats, but they don't count in the Clemson sales.

Clemson--you can count the four tickets we bought from StubHub if you want.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya think somebody should have considered Wed a bad idea

Dec 13, 2011, 5:46 PM

Don't know about you folks but I am one Tiger that just can't handle going to the game in the middle of the week. Wed is a very bad idea. Kids going back to school, the work week, and a holiday on Monday.

Not very good planning on bowls part when Friday is open. We would better off playing Mon or Tues if they wanted to push ticket sales. Still would love to be there.

Wish I could go, bad scheduling

Dec 13, 2011, 5:52 PM

If the bowl were closer to New Years I'd had off and would have already bought plane tickets. I am on a surgery rotation that week and won't be able to get off the time it is. I am going to have to watch the game away from home at a bar in rural Appalachia about 10 miles from the West Virginia border, hope I survive.

I would love to go...

Dec 14, 2011, 9:41 AM

but I just closed on a new house, so I'm sitting this one out.

Re: I would love to go...

Dec 14, 2011, 9:45 AM

ironic story. 30 years ago my son was born 2 weeks before the orange bowl so i was unable to go. 30 years later he is getting married 2 days after the bowl. as bad as we were playing i had no doubt we would win the acc game. and maybe with me not going again this time victory is inevitable. kinda weird the only 2 bowls i have missed in 30 years will be the 2 orange bowls.

Re: I would love to go...

Dec 14, 2011, 12:02 PM

Had tickets to 1981 game and a friend was flying several of us down that morning in his plane. About 3 AM got a call that my father had passed. Watched the game alone that night in Mom's den.

Work keeps me from going this time.

Every school and conference sold their souls to the TV $.***

Dec 13, 2011, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Ya think somebody should have considered Wed a bad idea ]

AMEN...

Dec 14, 2011, 2:19 PM

They don't care if the seats are empty or not when they can charge $100,000+ for a 30 second commercial spot.

Clemson and WV selling above market at face value and...

Dec 13, 2011, 5:50 PM

they do not have any Club Level tickets. This time, Stubhub is actually a much better deal and that is where I suspect many fans are going.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson and WV selling above market at face value and...

Dec 13, 2011, 9:08 PM

i bought 5 tickets thru stub hub in club level for 115 per seat - during the ACCCG. They are now going for around 200.
I am going. but i also live in Florida. Makes it just a 4 hour drive from Tampa.

We got 4 lower arena around the 20 for $175 from SH

Dec 14, 2011, 9:57 AM

Also *during* the ACCCG.

Coincidentally, based on the 3d view app on the stadium's web site, we're sitting in almost exactly the same place we sit during Clemson home games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went through StubHub :)

Dec 14, 2011, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Clemson and WV selling above market at face value and... ]

nm

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BCS bowls sold out to TV

Dec 13, 2011, 5:53 PM

The Wednesday after the holiday break is a poor time to schedule this, for many of the reasons stated above.

I recognize they've split the BCS games up so that, except for New Year's day with the Rose & Fiesta, the BCS games are on exclusively in prime-time. This is the by-product of that decision.

Another factor for slow Iptay sales is that people realize they can get better seats for less money through other outlets.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going, but my family isn't

Dec 13, 2011, 5:57 PM

the kids start back to school and my wife is staying with them. Otherwise we would have 4 people going instead of 1.

Also, I bought through Stubhub because I don't want crummy tickets from Clemson.

And this is precisely why there are too many bowl games...

Dec 13, 2011, 5:57 PM

I understand the argument about the money, but I've never believed 6/6 teams ought to be in bowl games....Look at the waiver UCLA got this year to be able to participate, even with a losing record! The NCAA should have gotten a grip on this a long time ago with the conferences and networks. All the bowls should be over by January 1, except, perhaps, for the NC! Then, of course, that leads to a discussion about playoffs....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And this is precisely why there are too many bowl games...

Dec 13, 2011, 5:59 PM

even when they start playoffs you dont think all the minor bowls will just go away i hope.

Agree... way too many bowl games!***

Dec 13, 2011, 6:01 PM [ in reply to And this is precisely why there are too many bowl games... ]

Supply and Demand...Supply loyal fans with crappy seats and

Dec 13, 2011, 6:01 PM

watch the demand dry up...

And that is why I bought my tix straight from the OB.

Dec 13, 2011, 6:35 PM

Decided to not wait for CU to stick it to me again.

Good for you! I've sat in my last upper-deck endzone seat...

Dec 13, 2011, 7:15 PM

From now on, I will either go through a ticket broker or street scalper...That way I KNOW what I am dealing with...Tired of the IPTAY shaft...

Re: Good for you! I've sat in my last upper-deck endzone seat...

Dec 13, 2011, 7:23 PM

Love it how street scalpers are more highly regarded than the IPTAY office. LOL

Sad but true...IPTAY= No Love...***

Dec 13, 2011, 7:26 PM

Re: Sad but true...IPTAY= No Love...***

Dec 14, 2011, 1:29 PM

I stopped buying tickets through CU years ago. If it's a big game, I go through stub hub and get a decent seat. If it's a lousy game, such as the one we had last year against North Texas, I'll just wait until game day and then buy one off someone on the street for 10 bucks.

I love how if you buy tickets through Clemson, you get nailed for the "convenience" fee on the website. How about I just wait until gameday and spend that money on beer?

Good for you! If you need "convenience", you can stop at a

Dec 14, 2011, 4:45 PM

store...

Re: Good for you! I've sat in my last upper-deck endzone seat...

Dec 13, 2011, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Good for you! I've sat in my last upper-deck endzone seat... ]

LMFAO!!! Just as I've heard most of my life. Money making functions as IPTAY, usually stick their own foot in to their own trap. IPTAY as we all believe it supose to be for the betterment of Clemson through donations. Less fortunate donors give yearly as the fortunate do. But lately ( 5 to 10 years )the less fortunate donor receives no better than a NO donor. And they are continiously being shoved out of the seats that they have had for years to appease the newer more fortunate donor. The less fortunate donor have been saying OK, after all it is for the betterment of the school. They leave the seats they have been donating (20 years) at the 50yd line lower bowl, to the upper deck in the end zone. But now look at what IPTAY is doing for all donors In the Bowl games. They are selling (wanting to sell) 17,000 tickets to their loyal IPTAY members that are BS seats. IPTAY members can go out on their own and buy better tickets from a street scalper, or from a private ticket outlet. The word greed is mild for what IPTAY is pulling on the loyal members that have been donating to their organization for YEARS. That is getting screwed without the thought of even a slight brush of a hug, much less a kiss

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Great-Grandfather was a founding member of IPTAY and I

Dec 13, 2011, 8:48 PM

don't think this is what they had in mind...

I at least like a mint in my pillow.........................***

Dec 13, 2011, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Good for you! I've sat in my last upper-deck endzone seat... ]

That's a factor for a lot of people...I'm not sure of the...

Dec 13, 2011, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Supply and Demand...Supply loyal fans with crappy seats and ]

game, but one this year appeared to have the fans equally divided throughout the stadium. I understand the "home field advantage" thinking but I've long believed that selling an equal number of tickets to both fan bases for the Clemson/Carolina game (with fans on opposing sides of the stadium) would make the game even more exciting...of course, one of the schools would have to be the "first" with an agreement written in stone! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a factor for a lot of people...I'm not sure of the...

Dec 13, 2011, 8:45 PM

You are probably thinking of the GA/FLA game. They normally play in Jacksonville and split it half and half.

Re: That's a factor for a lot of people...I'm not sure of the...

Dec 13, 2011, 9:18 PM [ in reply to That's a factor for a lot of people...I'm not sure of the... ]

That is the Texas/Oklahoma game that is split down the middle.

"You can't spell PENIS without ESPN!!!"

Re: Supply and Demand...Supply loyal fans with crappy seats and

Dec 13, 2011, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Supply and Demand...Supply loyal fans with crappy seats and ]

The tickets from Clemson are the same face value price as straight from the Orange Bowl!! I checked both. And Clemson does have a good allotment of sideline seats, again same price as what the Orange Bowl is selling the tickets for. I will say that BCS tickets are double to triple the price as a regular bowl game.

Does anyone know where Clemson's seats are located?

Dec 13, 2011, 6:24 PM

Sections? Rows? Etc?

Upper deck from corner to corner of endzone...Just like

Dec 13, 2011, 7:18 PM

every other Iptay ticket I have ever gotten...The Event holds the good tickets for themselves...

Re: Upper deck from corner to corner of endzone..NOT SO FAST

Dec 13, 2011, 7:45 PM

IPTAY is offering tickets all the way to the 50 yard line in the lower deck. Check the "ClemsonTigers.com" website and you'll see that they have all the seats available with the exception of the Club Seats.
The only difference I saw between buying them from IPTAY and buying them from Stubhub was that IPTAY can't tell you where you'll be in the the section/area you're asking for since they don't know how many people at what points level will be asking for the same section/area.
I'm not a fan of IPTAY but at least at this game you can get as good of seats as anyone else - unlike the ACCCG which was a ripoff as far as seating goes.

Wish I was a real fan.

Dec 13, 2011, 6:35 PM

Spent an ungodly amount going to 8 regular season games.

Spent an ungodly (and frankly, embarrassingly silly) amount to attend the ACC Championship.

But alas, I won't be flying to the bottom of the known world on the Wednesday after the longest, most expensive holiday of the year in the midst of the worst recession (depression?) in 3 generations to support my Tigers.

Where can I turn in my paw?

Friend, you've earned your Paw (or paid for it,) but...

Dec 13, 2011, 6:45 PM

I saw where the Lake Norman crowd is hosting a viewing party among other sites...Have fun!

Re: Wish I was a real fan.

Dec 13, 2011, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Wish I was a real fan. ]

DITTO!!!!

Re: Wish I was a real fan.

Dec 13, 2011, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Wish I was a real fan. ]

Well Jean Jacques, if you can't make it for all the reasons you have given. Then you're like me in many ways. But the most important one is, (like me also)we are not rich enough to be a Die hard Clemson fan. Speaking for myself, I'm sure as H&LL not. I'm checking my worthiness now just to see if I can be a Clemson enthusiast. In todays economy, I may not can afford that either....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Precisely, expensive season with ACCCG and season tix but

Dec 17, 2011, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Wish I was a real fan. ]

the primary reason we aren't going is my three kids start back to school that day AND my wife is a teacher so... think about it OB. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this combined with the lack of attendance/support by Clemson fans in Charlotte last season - I was at that one with the family - is going to appear as though we don't travel well.

One other thing that to be honest still weighs on my decision is how crappy we played against State and the coots. I would hate to spend all that money for just myself to go and then we get pounded because Steele's defense didn't show up again.

I WILL be watching however.

Go Tigers!

Though the date is terrible less than 8k sold is worse 2 day

Dec 13, 2011, 6:44 PM

Is all that has to be taken of work to go.

We should have 25K at the game pathetic

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Guess people have finally figured out to get better

Dec 13, 2011, 6:44 PM

seating and more tickets, don't buy through IPTAY.

We gotta pay Tommy off somehow...***

Dec 13, 2011, 7:20 PM

Yatzee!***

Dec 13, 2011, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Guess people have finally figured out to get better ]

Re: Front Page Story: Discover Orange Bowl ticket sales slower than expected

Dec 13, 2011, 6:59 PM

The bottom line is the game is played on a wed after Xmas,and if you can go thats great.This being Clemson's first BCS Bowl is big and I will be there.I am lucky to have a job in which I have 6 weeks of vaction.If you can't go thats fine too and everyone understands.

Dec 13, 2011, 7:01 PM

maybe a lot of people are just tired of getting screwed by the ticket office and have ordered tickets other ways.

Bad timing and uncertainty of IPTAY tickets........

Dec 13, 2011, 7:08 PM

.....are the reason. I am not going because of timing. If it was NYD it would be a no brainer. People going have scarfed up tickets through the other markets. Hmmmm, jump on tickets through stubnub, etc. or take the chance of upper level. Get a grip. The schools need to push back on the bowls.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Sad thing is that there is NO uncertainty on the IPTAY tix..

Dec 13, 2011, 7:22 PM

You KNOW they are in the endzones of the upperdeck...

Re: Sad thing is that there is NO uncertainty on the IPTAY tix..

Dec 13, 2011, 7:59 PM

That's not true.

Sadly...Yes it is...***

Dec 13, 2011, 8:46 PM

Re: Sadly...Yes it is...

Dec 14, 2011, 9:57 AM

Did you go to the CLemsonTigers website and look at what is avaialable? Sideline seats up to at least the 45 yard line.
Where are you getting your information?

30+ years experience...***

Dec 14, 2011, 3:54 PM

Re: 30+ years experience...u should have looked

Dec 15, 2011, 4:02 PM

You probably miss my point but in the instance of this Orange Bowl you should have looked before you made such a statement...45 yard line seats, in the lower bowl, are available.
Too bad you based your opinion on the past instead of the present.
And for the record my bowl experience will now equal 34 years - every one of the years in 'modern times' and I've sat in more than my share of endzones! I'm glad I'll be on the sideline this time!

Re: Bad timing and uncertainty of IPTAY tickets........

Dec 13, 2011, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Bad timing and uncertainty of IPTAY tickets........ ]

The really bad thing here is. The people that are setting in the best seats, couldn't get to Clemson without a GPS. H&LL MOST of them don't even know what state that Clemson is in!!!!!!

I am going but......

Dec 13, 2011, 8:00 PM

...I'll not get my tickets through Clemson.

A ticket in the upper deck, behind the team is $155 from Clemson. A ticket in the upper deck, behind the team is $80 on Stubhub. I'm going but I'll not get my ticket from Clemson.

I'm a fan. I've had season tickets for 35 years. I see all the homes games and usually one or two away games. I am an IPTAY donor and have been for decades. My company matches a portion of my IPTAY contribution each year. I have as many orange shirts as anyone. So I'm a loyal, in the seat, pay the price fan and I've been one for a long long time. I'll stay one for a long long time.

But I'm not paying a higher price than most other fans to see the Tigers play on the road. I wish college football would NOT gouge their best ticket buying fans, while doing anything and everything to accomodate the cheap tv fans.

So I get my tickets for away games,bowl games and championship games in the free, generally cheaper market than from Clemson.

I am not the only one who plays the game this way.

BTW, got four excellent ACC Title game tickets for $25 each from directly from the ACC a month early. No good reason to pay too much to see the Tigers play. THIS IS NOT A CLEMSON or IPTAY PROBLEM, BTW. IT'S AN COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROBLEM.

Seeya in Florida!

Harley

Message was edited by: Harley®

Message was edited by: Harley®

Re: I am going but......

Dec 13, 2011, 9:03 PM

The tickets from Clemson are the same face value price as straight from the Orange Bowl!! I checked both. And Clemson does have a good allotment of sideline seats, again same price as what the Orange Bowl is selling the tickets for. I will say that BCS tickets are double to triple the price as a regular bowl game.

What he said!

Dec 14, 2011, 10:03 AM [ in reply to I am going but...... ]

Dec 13, 2011, 8:41 PM

It isn't the day of the week, its the money it costs to get there and stay there. Not to mention the ticket prices are through the roof.

Could it be b/c Dabo alienated half the fan base w/ his BS??***

Dec 13, 2011, 8:47 PM

Re: Could it be b/c Dabo alienated half the fan base w/ his BS??***

Dec 13, 2011, 8:49 PM

yep really hurt with the acc game huh. some comments on this board should be banned before they see the light of day.

Dec 13, 2011, 9:20 PM

People also, and I'm not referring to you deroberts....

His conference winning BS?***

Dec 13, 2011, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Could it be b/c Dabo alienated half the fan base w/ his BS??*** ]

Dec 13, 2011, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Could it be b/c Dabo alienated half the fan base w/ his BS??*** ]

do. do.

all I can say to you is...

Dec 13, 2011, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Could it be b/c Dabo alienated half the fan base w/ his BS??*** ]

If the shoe fits......

only people I have seen alienated are the ones the felt the bite

Re: all I can say to you is...

Dec 13, 2011, 9:25 PM

EXACTLY!!! If it stung you, then yes it was aimed at you. If you would ride in the wagon, and not hang off the side. You would have been smiling at the statement, and not bauking at it....

To quote the movie Forrest Gump (Bubba's mom)

Dec 13, 2011, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Could it be b/c Dabo alienated half the fan base w/ his BS??*** ]

are you dumb or just plain stupid?

Nope. This one is on Iptay.***

Dec 13, 2011, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Could it be b/c Dabo alienated half the fan base w/ his BS??*** ]

lol...no.***

Dec 14, 2011, 5:28 AM [ in reply to Could it be b/c Dabo alienated half the fan base w/ his BS??*** ]

This is the crap I was whining about last night.

Dec 13, 2011, 8:58 PM

My wife and I REALLY want to go, but we can't make a Wednesday after New Years trip.

I honestly can't see how "smart" people allow this kind of scheduling get past the brainstorming stage. I guess the bowl will make more from primetime TV than the would if they had sold out the game and played it on new years.

Orange Bowls is a meaningless bowls just like every other

Dec 13, 2011, 10:56 PM

bowl game except the NC. Playing a mediocre Big Least team. Wednesday just makes it a terribly time meaningless bowl.

Honk if your biggest bowl win is the Steakhouse Bowl***

Dec 13, 2011, 10:57 PM

More incentives for PLAYOFFS!***

Dec 14, 2011, 5:43 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: More incentives for PLAYOFFS!***

Dec 14, 2011, 9:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk&feature=related

Read this article. Don't blame IPTAY. Blame BCS contract.

Dec 14, 2011, 12:06 PM

Read the following article about how the schools are forced to buy tickets and stay in over-priced hotel rooms by the corrupted BCS system.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-09-28/bcs-bowl-games-cost-some-schools/50582512/1

Hopefully the ACC will bail out Clemson for any unsold tickets that Clemson is required to buy according to the BCS contract. Otherwise Clemson may well lose money by going to the Orange Bowl.

Re: Read this article. Don't blame IPTAY. Blame BCS contract.

Dec 14, 2011, 12:09 PM

And note that ESPN televises all but two bowl games (Cotton & Sun). Don't think they care for one minute about inconveniencing fans with a Wednesday night game.

Yep. Would be fairer to force ESPN to sell ticket allotment***

Dec 14, 2011, 1:05 PM

After the way the ticket office and ACC handled the ACC-CG

Dec 14, 2011, 3:02 PM

tix, I didn't wait on the school. Bought mine the same day. It appears I only payed $10 more than the school is selling them and mine included tickets to the Fan zone pre-game...

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic