Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Watkins and Zimmerman say team focused on getting the job done against Wake
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Watkins and Zimmerman say team focused on getting the job done against Wake

Nov 7, 2011, 10:43 PM

Watkins and Zimmerman say team focused on getting the job done against Wake

Clemson has undergone a culture change, and it took a loss to Georgia Tech for the players to fully realize the implications. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better late than never...win that division again & ACCC Game

Nov 7, 2011, 10:59 PM

Go TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S.

Nov 7, 2011, 11:11 PM

Georgia Tech came out aggressive. They gave us their best shot. We had no reason not to expect their best, considering:

-It was a night game on national TV
-It was their homecoming
-They had lost two straight

Seriously, I love Sammy and the rest of our players, but there is no way we underestimated them. They just had a great game plan, they executed it well, and we had poor performances on both sides if the ball.

No need to get dramatic and talk about a "culture change" and all that jazz. Just work hard like you've been doing and know that if you execute the game plan you will win.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S.

Nov 8, 2011, 12:11 AM

Whoa buddy...glad you're a nobody and nobody surrounding this team really cares what you think. Who are you to say that they didn't underestimate GT. A team that looked horrible in the previous 2 games. I'm guessing there are other people out there who underestimated GT including myself. I hate it that they did that, but it is what it is. They lost, have to get focused and make sure it doesn't happen again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anybody who has followed Clemson's history vs Ga Tech

Nov 8, 2011, 11:47 AM

would have to say that under-estimating them would be a pretty inexcusable thing to do.

One can understand how 18-19 year old kids might look at the two straight loses by Tech and then look at the 8-0 record of the Tigers and not resepect Tech

But Ga Tech owns Clemson both historically and recently. There is no logical reason to have anything but the utmost respect and concern when preparing to play them. Particularly in Atlanta where Clemson practically NEVER wins.

That's why one would hope that the coaches and the seniors would not have allowed the youngsters to fall into that trap.

Unfortunately that was not the case.

For whatever reason, Clemson didn't play well enough to win in any phase of the game. If that occured because the players didn't take Ga Tech seriously, then that is a shame.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think Homecoming carries a lot of weight***

Nov 8, 2011, 6:27 AM [ in reply to Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It really really doesn't.

Nov 8, 2011, 3:54 PM

People make a big deal about how we were Maryland and Georgia Tech's homecoming games...but that's just a matter of convenience. With the conferences now completely in control of dates and schedules (except for OOC games), the schools just stick homecoming on the most convenient weekend in most cases.

It's fun to act like it's a big deal...but frankly, we had BC as our homecoming this year ( may not be any good this year but usually they're a thorn in our sides), and Miami was our homecoming game last year.

GO TIGERS

I'm glad you know their mindset better than they do***

Nov 8, 2011, 6:37 AM [ in reply to Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Nov 8, 2011, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

Judge,

Your verdict is pretty much off the mark on this one. After seeing GT get handled for the prior 2 weeks and with the juggernaut we had been riding, no way do you have the same mind set as for the AU, FSU, VT games. I, too, felt as if GT would be an easy win, and I believe without them playing a nearly flawless game on both sides of the ball, we easily handle them. Problem is they caught a tidal wave and rode it all the way to a good old fashioned butt whipping, and all of us who thought we would just waltz in and win were very wrong. Just goes to show that we have to go into every game with a vengeance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You weren't paying attention if you thought it would be easy***

Nov 8, 2011, 9:20 AM

Re: You weren't paying attention if you thought it would be easy***

Nov 8, 2011, 11:55 AM

I agree. Anyone who has been paying the least amount of attention tohow Clemson almost always fares in Atlanta, would have known that this was going to be a tough ball game.

Re: You weren't paying attention if you thought it would be easy***

Nov 8, 2011, 12:02 PM

I guess what happened this year will dictate what happens 2 years from now, too, huh? PLEASE!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes ...

Nov 8, 2011, 7:55 PM

If the players don't pay attention any better than some fans then yes ... it will.

Re: Yes ...

Nov 8, 2011, 11:23 PM

You would be amazed that they read the same things we do, see the same game highlights we see (albeit they see the games over and over and over, and over again, disecting each play), and they still form opiniions as to what an opponent will bring each week. Just like we do. I wish they didn't, but it does happen, no matter how stupid you think they/we are for doing it.

They are 18-21 years old ... same as a lot of posters.

Nov 10, 2011, 1:26 PM

Posters who are 18-21 years old are prone to look at things differently than people (fans and coaches and ex-players) who have the benefit of seeing lots of Clemson teams play lots of Georgia Tech teams and come up short, especially when going to Atlanta to play.

At any rate, I'm not really sure what you're even trying to say in these posts.

You seem to be reinforcing my point that even though strong evidence is there that Georgia Tech is always capable of beating us, the current players (and fans) ignore the evidence and simply look at what happened to Tech on the road in the last two games while Clemson was getting to 8-0 and assumed that Tech should be a push-over in Atlanta at night with their backs to the wall.

18-21 year old posters???........

Nov 10, 2011, 1:31 PM

I still have some posters that are over 40 years old...........:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2011, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

So it seems, but they (GT) did everything to make it more difficult than it should have been. I do not believe they have the talent we have, but they played a perfect game against us. They showed up ready and willing to play lights out. We didn't, but if you thought we wouldn't beat them handily, then you must have been absent this year from our other games.

Nov 8, 2011, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

Judge - fwiw - I'm pretty much with you on most points. Anyone that's a CLEMSON fan that doesn't feel uneasy playing against the triple option - wofford or gt or anyone that uses that blasted thing hasn't watched our past performances against that D. Yeh - I think the entire world pretty much thought CLEMSON should win - even at GT, so I guess we underestimated how they might decide to play. But - bottom line - we absolutely SUCK against the triple option - and will continue to suck against it until something changes on D. You can't OVER-estimate how bad we are against that D. Maybe that is where our problem lies. Maybe we're just looking at the wrong thing.

Heck - if they manage to beat Wake (at home favored by 16.5), then we're in the ACCCG playing the VT/GT winner. If it's GT - we can see if it was BS talk at that time.

Sammy underestimated them, but it didn't matter...

Nov 8, 2011, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

he still had 160yds and a TD. He was talking about the rest of the team.

You should always expect your opponent's best, but...

Nov 8, 2011, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

With all the love our team had been getting, and all the hype they'd gotten, and how they were shocking the world and living on a cloud, you can't help but expect the win and underestimate your opponent. Should they have? No. Will they next time? I doubt it- this one stung. It's a young team and they looked over their opponent, seeing as how they've been doing something a Clemson team hasn't done in forever and were just then starting to buy into all of their hype, as compared to a GT team who lost all of theirs early on and saw the Clemson game as their last shot at redeeming the season. We underestimated them, especially when we saw some success early. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Re: You should always expect your opponent's best, but...

Nov 8, 2011, 11:44 AM

AMEN!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should always expect your opponent's best, but...

Nov 9, 2011, 6:11 AM [ in reply to You should always expect your opponent's best, but... ]

What he said!!!

Nov 8, 2011, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

WOW!!! A whole lot of thought went into that piece of Dr. Lou SPITTLE. A lot of thought!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2011, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Please spare us the "we underestimated them" B.S. ]

That might be true. Even GT's own fans underestimated them. On their own board most GT fans thought Clemson would blow them out.

Re: Front Page Story: Watkins and Zimmerman say team focused on getting the job done against Wake

Nov 8, 2011, 3:41 AM

Some fans just cant seem to get on the culture change bus with the rest of us. The past is just that, the past. We've all had our hearts ripped out before. But each time it was out was a chance to look at it and see if it was orange or not. GO TIGERS!!!

Sucks that it took a loss for the players to realize

Nov 8, 2011, 11:24 AM

that you have to practice and play hard each week. Possibly could still be undefeated if they had done their jobs and practiced hard all week.

Easy now...

Nov 8, 2011, 7:56 PM

Dabo has been telling us 'they stayed focused and paid attention to the job at hand,' every week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic