Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
News and notes from Monday's player interviews
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Aug 29, 2011, 2:10 PM

TE Dwayne Allen said the coaches have harped on the new celebration rule. Corico Hawkins talks about the freshmen linebackers and Quandon Christian playing in the nickle package. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who doesn't love the thursday massages.

Aug 29, 2011, 2:15 PM

Dewayne Allen better have a big year and if massages help him catch more balls I say give that man a happy ending.

Grandma Vacuums Cat GIF - Grandma Vacuums Cat
see more Gifs

Well with dsp doing the massages, I'm sure that's

Aug 29, 2011, 2:18 PM

the likely ending ;)

null

Why would Allen get chewed out so much for the

Aug 29, 2011, 2:16 PM

salute???? I'd chew the refs a$$ out. I'm sure Allen at the time didn't think what he did was excessive.

Just spot the d@mn ball!

null

Ref didn't have time to rationalize why Allen saluted crowd.

Aug 29, 2011, 2:35 PM

The ref probably figured that Allen was taunting the home crowd with a salute, so he threw the flag against Allen immediately. If the ref had realized that it was a salute to the military on Military Appreciation Day, maybe the ref wouldn't have thrown the flag.

That same season, Allen taunted the Miami crowd by making the (thumbtips together) Miami "U" sign with his hands after scoring a TD. I think he got away with that one, so I guess the good-call & bad-call evened out.

He oughta stop showboating for the crowd and just celebrate with his teammates.

I don't think any of our guys showboat that much.

Aug 29, 2011, 2:38 PM

This entire issue has become too strict. Football is supposed to be fun. While I'm not for the antics of the U. I do think the occasional salute is ok. If the other team doesn't like it then use it as bulletin board material.

Grandma Vacuums Cat GIF - Grandma Vacuums Cat
see more Gifs

Yeah... It's the classic zero-tolerance policy pros & cons

Aug 29, 2011, 3:11 PM

I like the NCAA's desire for the players to exhibit good sportsmanship, but the enforcement can go overboard (like it did with Allen's salute). I also don't think it gets enforced consistently. CJ used to commonly hold up his index finger in a #1 sign and then genuflect, but he never got flagged (and rightfully so). Yet Allen gets flagged for a respectful salute, which I guess is a bit different in that it was directed to the crowd and could be construed as taunting. The lines are blurry.

I agree that generally, the Clemson players aren't showboaters, and the only incident that I can recall is the "U" sign that Allen gave TWO years ago.

Agree. Just follow the rules and act like you've done it

Aug 29, 2011, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Ref didn't have time to rationalize why Allen saluted crowd. ]

before. Winning is the fun part, not gestures.

Why would you taunt your home crowd?

Aug 30, 2011, 1:29 AM [ in reply to Ref didn't have time to rationalize why Allen saluted crowd. ]

Why does it matter if you taunt the crowd?

The crowd pays to taunt, why shouldn't they get some back?

Sportsmanship is one thing, this is ridiculous.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was, then and now, a ridiculous penalty.

Aug 30, 2011, 1:28 AM [ in reply to Why would Allen get chewed out so much for the ]

It makes me think somewhat less of Dabo that he harped on it. I'm with you, the ref would have gotten the brunt of my vitriol.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Allen is wrong. D & O get flagged for excessive celebration

Aug 29, 2011, 2:46 PM

Contrary to Allen's assertion, both the defense & offense can celebrate, but if either does so excessively, taunts the opponent, or taunts the crowd, they can get flagged.

Unlike offensive players who occcasionaly have the opportunity to showboat or taunt the defense on their way in for a TD, the defensive players don't have the time to showboat or taunt the offensive players on the way in for a sack, TFL, INT, etc, so there's no need for symetry in the rulebook.

would they get tagged for saluting after a sack?

Aug 29, 2011, 3:10 PM

I doubt it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would THAT ref have tagged D for saluting after a safety?

Aug 29, 2011, 3:30 PM

I think so.

After the Allen salute & fallout, I doubt any player will be flagged for a salute to the military ever again. But on THAT day, in THAT end zone (in very close proximity to the crowd), I think THAT ref would have thrown THAT flag on a defensive player if the defensive player had, for example, scored a safety and then saluted to the nearby crowd.

I think that a defensive player would be flagged anywhere on the field after a sack for more serious taunting-- like making the "U" symbol vs Miami, or doing a Seminole chop vs. FSU.

Re: Would THAT ref have tagged D for saluting after a safety?

Aug 29, 2011, 3:45 PM

You missed the point. Allen was flagged for a 15 yd celebration penalty for a salute to the crowd.

If a defensive player sacked a QB and saluted the crowd, would there have been a penalty for excessive celebration?

While it is an assumption as to what the answer would be, one only has to go back and look at miles of videotape over the past several years of college football games to gather sufficient evidence to suggest there would not be a penalty.

So to bring other examples into the fold is not comparing apples to apples. And we are not talking about scoring plays, we are talking about a good defensive play...sack, INT, pass break up, good tackle, etc.

Re: Would THAT ref have tagged D for saluting after a safety?

Aug 29, 2011, 9:05 PM

Apparently you missed my point. I feel that camcgee's premise above was an unfair apples-to-oranges analogy because a salute after a sack outside the end zone(relatively far from the fans) isn't comparable with a salute (a few feet from the fans) at the back of the end zone after a TD. So I tried to make the analogy more apples-to-apples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD5AP4kpT4I

Clemson only scored 39 TDs last season but had at least 147 great defensive plays per your definition (15-INTs, 5-fumble-recoveries, 31 sacks, and 96 tackles-for-loss), not including all of the passes broken up and big hits, so great defensive plays are far more common, less celebrated, and less scrutinized than TDs.

One could watch years of college football and not see a celebratory salute, let alone a post-sack salute. But I've seen defensive players flagged for excessive celebration and taunting after a sack or nasty tackle-for-loss.

My Fear is the First Penalty on a Scoring Play...

Aug 29, 2011, 3:12 PM

...will be on a defensive player returing a turnover because I doubt this new rule has been preached ad nauseum to them like it probably has to the offense.

I could totally see this happening, but hopefully we play with class.

That was a good interview by Allen....seems like a good kid.***

Aug 29, 2011, 4:20 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic