Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney says he is a "wiser" coach heading into 2011
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 155
| visibility 1

Aug 18, 2011, 12:47 PM

Dabo Swinney said the past two seasons have been a learning experience – one which will make him a better coach. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's hope so....***

Aug 18, 2011, 1:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swinney says he is a "wiser" coach heading into 2011

Aug 18, 2011, 1:55 PM

Amen

Hard to argue with the changes he's made to the staff since

Aug 18, 2011, 1:57 PM

2008 so far. I'll hold judgment until the end of the year, but I already like the change in attitude in terms of the way our coaches talk about our players.

Hopefully he learned how to use timeouts******

Aug 18, 2011, 2:07 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hopefully he learned how to use timeouts******

Aug 18, 2011, 2:34 PM

Do tell?

Many of the anti-Dabo folks complained that they didn't

Aug 18, 2011, 3:18 PM

want to hire Dabo because they didn't want Clemson to have to train a head coach.

Well, he's trained now. It's time to rock!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you think he has shown that he is trained how?***

Aug 18, 2011, 3:47 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a better question....

Aug 18, 2011, 4:03 PM

would be if he thinks he's fully trained, then failure this year would be unacceptable and should result in firing correct?

Yes. If we lose any games because of coaching and not

Aug 18, 2011, 4:07 PM

because the team simply has better players, then he should leave.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not too high...

Aug 18, 2011, 4:09 PM

on this upcoming season are we?

Nope. We are trusting a bunch of freshmen and a first year

Aug 18, 2011, 4:16 PM

OC to overcome a doofus of a coach and some misses in the recruiting of WRs.

indeed...

Aug 18, 2011, 4:20 PM

kind of funny how joeyb actually validates people's complaints back then.
Basically saying 'yeah, you were right to say he was going to need some on the job training... but NOW it's gonna be OK!'

I have my doubts.

If the coaching changes work and he stays out of the way,

Aug 18, 2011, 4:23 PM

then he has learned how to do his job. Maybe we don't have the players to win 10-11 games this year, I'm just hoping for better and more consistent play all around.

Doofus?

Aug 18, 2011, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Nope. We are trusting a bunch of freshmen and a first year ]

Why is he a doofus?

1974: Bobby Bownden lost to Richmond 29-25 and went on to a 4-7 record. Doofus?

1980: Danny Ford lost to Duke 34-17 and went on to a 6-5 record. Doofus?

I'd say it's a little to early to tell if he's a doofus or not. Give the guy a chance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Exactly. Some of the thought patterns by our "fans" is

Aug 18, 2011, 7:15 PM

embarrassing. It's like some people have absolutely no understanding of the game, except what they learned on XBOX.

Re: Doofus?

Aug 18, 2011, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Doofus? ]

He lost to one of the WORST teams in the ACC in 2009, Merryland, that was their ONLY ACC win that year....please dont compare him to Danny Ford and sure as hell dont compare him to Bobby Bowden!! It took him THREE YEARS to settle on "his" OC and "his" offense, BOTH of which should have been done DAY ONE, not fighting with YOUR OC for two years and THEN firing him and then insisting he needs MORE time!!

What are you talking about?

Aug 18, 2011, 7:27 PM

Good coaches lose to bad teams every single Saturday of every single season.

Why can't you compare him to Danny Ford? Because Ford won, after he got experience and built his team? I guess you would have wanted him fired too? Or better yet, do you have any clue whatsoever what Clemson football looked like in 1980? I'm guessin' no.

Re: What are you talking about?

Aug 18, 2011, 7:32 PM

Ummm Danny Ford had a hell of a lot more experience than Dabo had when he was given the reigns to the program. Yes good coaches lose to bad teams, happens to everyone but this guy has NO clue what he is doing, what exactly has he shown that makes you think he does??? It took him THREE seasons to figure out he wanted to run HIS offense, that should have been done DAY ONE, not three years later after a HUMILIATING season, oh yeah, let me guess, "all part of the learning process"....give me a break....oh and please let me know of ONE D1 football program (well besides CLEMSON!) that would even give him an interview?!?!

The ignorance is rich with this one...

Aug 18, 2011, 7:41 PM

You do know we went 6-5 in 1980, right? You do know we lost to teams like 2-9 Duke that year, right?

You do know that Danny Ford lost several games through the years to teams like Duke, Georgia Tech, and NCSU, when we, by your standards, had no reason to lose other than "coaching", right?

You are aware that Dabo took us to the ACCCG and 1 minute from the BCS in his first season, right?

You do know that "experienced" coaches make bad hires and hire and fire assistant coaches basically every season, right?

How did Danny have more experience than Dabo?

Aug 18, 2011, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Re: What are you talking about? ]

Danny had 5 years of coaching, nothing more than a position coach, and was 30 when he was hired. Dabo had 13 years of coaching, and although he wasn't a coordinator, achieved the title of assistant head coach and was 38. So why would Danny deserve an interview more than Dabo? I don't get it.

Aug 19, 2011, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: What are you talking about? ]

Danny Ford- 5 years coaching experience before becoming HC.

Dabo Swinney- 15 years as an assistant before becoming HC.

You are WRONG about Danny having more experience....at least get your #### straight before trying to bash someone.

Also, Ford went 8-4 in his first full season at HC and Dabo went 9-5 and was uber close to a BCS bowl. Ford went 6-5 in his second season with horrible losses to crap teams. Dabo went 6-7 with losses to bad teams.

How do they not look the same through the first 2 years....get your FACTS straight and stop beating on someone when you obviously dont have a f'n clue. learn a little something about CLEMSON FOOTBALL before making a complete IDIOT out of yourself on here.

Thanks

Exactly. Good work.***

Aug 19, 2011, 6:45 PM

Aug 20, 2011, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: What are you talking about? ]

Reckon I can't add much to what the others said, but my thought patterns match theirs exactly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Aug 19, 2011, 1:46 PM [ in reply to What are you talking about? ]

no, he wasnt born in 1980....lol ,, i remember them all.. back when CLemson (1974) caME to Bryant/Denny stadium in TUscaloosa after being beaten the week before by TULANE>>>>>> of all people.. bama beat us 56 to 0 .. now that was the day.. at least now we do compete.. back then we didnt even do that..

Sorry for the confusion....

Aug 19, 2011, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Doofus? ]

I'm not suggesting Dabo is the next Danny Ford or Bobby Bowden (time will tell), I was addressing the use/logic of the term doofus. Doofus means "stupid" and if we are saying someone is a doofus based this small body of work (two seasons), then many of the greats would have to be considered doofuses too (simply look at the records). In the end, none of us know how this will turn out, so why attempt to make a point/argument without checking to see if history supports it? Without supporting evidence the argument comes across as bitter and/or angry and that seldom sways people.

Finally, I don't think anyone feels last year was a success, but I still haven't heard a compelling/logical argument as to why a new head coach would be better than Dabo right now. Hasn't he addressed the team's issues? Shouldn't we see if his "fixes" work? What else do we want/expect him to do?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Mostly because of the Kyle Parker thing, they

Aug 18, 2011, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Doofus? ]

why not us thing, along with some bad losses. I'm also so very tired of people talking about the ACCC we were 8-4. I don't care about the close losses. If we don't have Spiller that year, we maybe only win 5 games.

Re: Mostly because of the Kyle Parker thing, they

Aug 19, 2011, 7:38 AM

If we had a couple of more players, another receiver, an OL that could block for a short run, we might have been 12-0. If's and but's work both ways. It was a crappy season last year. We all know that, but I think Dabo has done things a good Head Coach must do to be successful. We now have more quality players enrolled, better coaches on the staff, better facilities, and a coach with more experience. I see improvement very near. If it doesn't come, we will make a change, but please realize that when you make a change, it all starts over, and Clemson won't hire a Nick Saban. Heck, usuc took the ball sack, and it even took him many years of failure to reach a modicum of success, and I say that with tongue in cheek.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're comparing Dabo to B. Bowden?

Aug 21, 2011, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Doofus? ]

"Jumping the gun" doesn't begin to describe that statement.

There's something in these hills.

Re: You're comparing Dabo to B. Bowden?

Aug 21, 2011, 4:50 PM

No, he's saying if you're gonna call Dabo a doofus based on one season, then B. Bowden, Danny Ford, and every other coach is a doofus as well.

Re: Nope. We are trusting a bunch of freshmen and a first year

Aug 18, 2011, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Nope. We are trusting a bunch of freshmen and a first year ]

Simply pathetic!!! One of those that wouldn't be satisfied with the best BJ that you ever had....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

football isnt about just who has better players

Aug 18, 2011, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Yes. If we lose any games because of coaching and not ]

See James Mattison over VT / App State over Michigan etc..

Re: football isnt about just who has better players

Aug 18, 2011, 4:38 PM

coots over alabama. haha!

That's a very good example...

Aug 18, 2011, 6:26 PM [ in reply to football isnt about just who has better players ]

Because we all know James Madison has a better coaching staff than Beamer and co.....Geez.

thats not the point of my post

Aug 18, 2011, 9:45 PM

even with bad coaching decisions VT should still be able to beat James Madison with the players they had.

I would question A LOT of our playcalling all through the season, especially at the beginning of last year, and we still managed to win our cupcakes. And we had no offense

Are you a moron? He's saying that talent isn't the end all.***

Aug 21, 2011, 1:28 PM [ in reply to That's a very good example... ]

Re: football isnt about just who has better players

Aug 18, 2011, 11:04 PM [ in reply to football isnt about just who has better players ]

Troy was on that list, too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point. Motivation and coaching matters.***

Aug 21, 2011, 1:28 PM [ in reply to football isnt about just who has better players ]

Yeah, upsets never happen in college football.

Aug 18, 2011, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Yes. If we lose any games because of coaching and not ]

..More like every single Saturday.

Re: Yes. If we lose any games because of coaching and not

Aug 18, 2011, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Yes. If we lose any games because of coaching and not ]

That fires every coach in college football, and the NFL.
I haven't seen a perfect coach yet. And if they said they had never lost a game because of coaching, that would be a total fabrication.

Re: a better question....

Aug 19, 2011, 1:42 PM [ in reply to a better question.... ]

alwaYS looking to fire someone.... support them first.. he has proven he can recruit and can hire coaches. i mean yeah , last year was awful, but the year before wasnt...and even last year.. if AUburn doesnt have a team of destiny and we win that one,, the whole season is different

Re: And you think he has shown that he is trained how?***

Aug 18, 2011, 5:49 PM [ in reply to And you think he has shown that he is trained how?*** ]

Better Question! Show that he hasn't become a better, smarter, and wiser coach than he was in 2008. Personally, I believe Dabo loves Clemson. And I believe it would be very hard to hire Dabo away from Clemson if he is successful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

game decisions will decide that***

Aug 18, 2011, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Many of the anti-Dabo folks complained that they didn't ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So it only takes 2 years to learn how to be a head coach.***

Aug 21, 2011, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Many of the anti-Dabo folks complained that they didn't ]

Aug 18, 2011, 4:37 PM

For any old enough, like myself, to remember Dannys first few seasons, I remember watching him grow as a head coach. Danny fiddled with differnet things, heck I even remember him wearing a tie a couple of games lol. Heres to you Dabo, I am 100% behind you and this team. Some get it, Danny, some dont, Tommy West. Now before I get bashed, I was completely behind Tommy also, he just never could get us there. Just win Dabo, everything else will fall in place!

That's an awesome post...

Aug 18, 2011, 7:19 PM

The best coach in Clemson history took some time learning on the job, yet there are blowhards today that want to fire our current coach based on ONE less than successful season.

Aug 18, 2011, 5:24 PM

Very well said. GO TIGERS!!!

The biggest mistake Dabo has made was his selection for OC.

Aug 18, 2011, 5:40 PM

Alright, so he fixed that - as good as anyone can expect. He was a hard-scrabble kid who played and learned football in a winning program - I think he will get throught these growing pains and it will work out. Of course, if we loose to Maryland/Wake/BC again I may loose what's left of my optimism - just sayin....

Re: The biggest mistake Dabo has made was his selection for OC.

Aug 19, 2011, 1:21 PM

If the truth would be known, Dabo probably did'nt get the finacial support to go after the OC he wanted when he first took over. You know how the AD and Prez are always looking for bargains.

Re: The biggest mistake Dabo has made was his selection for OC.

Aug 19, 2011, 1:55 PM

I still don't feel good about our admin support for the teams.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th biggest mistakes...

Aug 19, 2011, 9:32 PM [ in reply to The biggest mistake Dabo has made was his selection for OC. ]

1) Hiring Napier instead of seasoned OC.
2) Keeping Brad Scott as OL coach.
3) Letting Ellington & Harper evenly split carries.
4) Favoring seniors like Ashe & Dye over the superior younger guys like Hopkins & McNeal.
5) Playing Parker when he was too injured to be effective.
6) Letting Parker get away with selfish and disrespectful behavior.
7) Excessive meddling in the play-calling.
8) Keeping Jeff Scott as WR coach.

Not sure of the exact order and I probably missed a few. After TWO YEARS he fixed some of his mistakes and hopefully learned from the other mistakes, so I'm hopeful.

Seems the car needed more than a tune up after all???***

Aug 18, 2011, 5:45 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. The tune up doesn't happen overnight.***

Aug 18, 2011, 7:22 PM

Re: Seems the car needed more than a tune up after all???***

Aug 18, 2011, 8:37 PM [ in reply to Seems the car needed more than a tune up after all???*** ]

Interesting how that was his comment 2 years ago and now he talks about "what I inherited". You inherited a fringe top 25 program you dope. You found out that you had no idea what to do and after C.J. Won the Atlantic for you. Last year was the "trial by fire" and you got a D-. Let's see what you can do now after a kick in the teeth.

Um, he inherited a team that didn't finish in the top 25,

Aug 19, 2011, 6:58 PM

then finished in the top 25 the very next year. You're not making sense.

Saying one player was responsible for that is silly. Jacoby Ford, Michael Palmer, and the 2009 Kyle Parker. disagree. In any event, are you really suggesting coaches shouldn't get credit when good players help him win?

The reasons we fell back last year are perfectly clear, including losing those star players, and while the responsibility falls on the head coach, he seemingly has done everything he needed to do to fix it.

Note, that's only 2 years... not nearly enough time to make a call either way, but there absolutely HAS been some success.

Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now

Aug 18, 2011, 6:16 PM

That's as close as we'll probably ever get to hearing Dabo admit that he has been in over his head.

He should have thanked TDP, the players, and fans for allowing him to go through a 2-year on-the-job training program and he should have apologized for wasting TWO YEARS of the fans' time and money (so far), while blowing the college football careers and potential NFL careers of several players (who might have gotten noticed by the NFL if Clemson had been well coached and won more games).

Why didn't our AD hire a good, seasoned coach who could have used Clemson's stockpile of player talent (and Dabo's & Napier's recruiting skills) to hit the ground running in YEAR ONE (like Chizik did)? I can't think of any other big-league football school that has done such an outrageous thing in the last 20 years.

Re: Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now

Aug 18, 2011, 6:29 PM

He didn't waste my time and money when he took us to the ACCCG. And Jacoby, Spiller, Harper, and many others didn't see their careers wasted.

What asinine statements.

Did you enjoy going 6-7 or losing the ACCCG to inferior GT?

Aug 18, 2011, 8:05 PM

Did you enjoy Dabo's two-year run of getting out-coached and losing 8 games to teams with inferior player-talent? Did you enjoy getting spanked by inferior teams like USF or SCar? I didn't.

In 2009, Dabo lost 4 games to 3 teams with inferior player talent; UMD, SCar, & GT (x2).

In 2010, Dabo lost 3 games to 3 teams with clearly inferior player talent (UNC, BC, & USF) and he got spanked by SCar which had slightly inferior talent.

Even good coaches lose an occasional game to an inferior team. But Dabo lost 8 games to inferior teams in the last two year-- including several losses to teams with clearly inferior player-talent and a couple spankings by teams with slightly inferior player talent. Dabo and his crew have simply been out-coached during Dabo's on-the-job training program. I sincerely hope that Dabo has finally learned to be a good coach.

Here are links to the pre-game 2-deep analyses for 3 of Dabo's 2010 losses, where the star-ranking data from Rivals and Scout are compiled and charted without any subjective analysis of the charted data. It clearly shows that Dabo lost to teams with inferior player-talent.

BC:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/24/2182690/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-boston-college-2010

USF:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/12/22/1890972/two-deep-talent-recruiting-comparison-clemson-and-usf

South Carolina:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/6/14/2214467/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-south-carolina-2010

Of course, highly talented guys like Spiller get drafted (though CJ might have won a Heisman and been drafted higher if he had played on a better-coached, BCS-caliber team). But guys like Michael Palmer didn't get drafted-- even though they likely would have been drafted from a better-coached team. Good coaches like Beamer routinely turn mediocre recruits into NFL draft picks.

You're senile if you think SCar has inferior talent to us.

Aug 18, 2011, 10:51 PM

Equal at every position, better at some.

SCar so superior that they should dominate us 2 years?

Aug 19, 2011, 12:56 AM

Sory to present statistics to support my senility, but based on the rankings from Rivals and Scout (see following), SCar's 2-deep was slightly inferior to Clemson's last season, but I'll grant you that the talent level was similar last year. You could even make the case that they had slightly superior player-talent. (I'd disagree based on the star-rankings and because over the last 2 years, the NFL drafted 6+5 Clemson players and 2+2 SCar players.) But even if you think SCar had superior player talent, do you think that they were so superior that they deserved to beat the heck out of Clemson the last 2 years? How do you explain those butt whuppings?

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/6/14/2214467/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-south-carolina-2010

LOL. There you go again, uder the delusion that

Aug 19, 2011, 7:01 PM

stars are somehow an exact science. Do we need to review all of that again?

LOL. There you go again making up stuff that I didn't say.

Aug 19, 2011, 8:09 PM

I didn't say stars are an exact science. Your reading comprehension skills are apparently very weak.

Wrong again. The proof is in the pudding. You constantly try

Aug 19, 2011, 8:15 PM

to use stars as a basis for your weak arguments, even when you've been presented with mounds of evidence that show exactly how silly that is.

1) Did I say star-rankings are an exact science? Yes or no?

Aug 19, 2011, 8:56 PM

2) Did you say that I'm under the delusion that star rankings are an exact science? Yes or no?

3) Did I also cite the number NFL-draft picks as another indicator of player-talent? Yes or no?

4) Did I write above that one could argue that SCar had superior talent? Yes or no?

This is usually the point in the our conversations where you avoid providing direct answers to my simple questions, you change the subject to whatever it is that you want to say, and you call me "ignorant" and "shallow-minded".

You didn't have to. Even after being proven wrong over and

Aug 20, 2011, 2:00 PM

over again, often with your own links, you still lean on stars with every argument you weakly try to make. You put entirely too much emphasis on stars, to the point of complete absurdity and exhibited ignorance. Hopefully those facts don't hurt your feelings too much.

That covers 1.

#2, what are you talking about? The VAST majority of the NFL is made up of 2~3 star, or completely unranked players. Only a small percentage of 4 and 5 star guys make it to the NFL. The stars are wrong more than they're right, so it is, again, shallow-minded and ignorant to put too much emphasis on them when trying to make objective analyses.

#3, what? What are you even trying to say? And if you answer, please don't type a bunch of words that amount to nothing. Okay?

Ha! I knew you'd avoid answering simple yes or no questions!

Aug 21, 2011, 2:39 AM

It must be so embarrassing for you that you couldn't answer my simple yes or no questions with a yes or no so you avoid answering change the subject. Here. Try again. "Yes" or "no" will suffice. It's fun to watch you squirm.

1) Did I say star-rankings are an exact science? Yes or no?

2) Did you say that I'm under the delusion that star rankings are an exact science? Yes or no?

3) Did I also cite the number NFL-draft picks as another indicator of player-talent? Yes or no?

4) Did I write above that one could argue that SCar had superior talent? Yes or no?

You clearly can't read. I didn't "avoid" anything. I clearly

Aug 21, 2011, 1:23 PM

pointed out what was pertinent, and I addressed it.

But since you insist on making an a$$ out of yourself, I'll go along with it.

YOU: Did I say star-rankings are an exact science? Yes or no?

ME: I never once said you did. I never you used those words. Those are my words to describe your absurd attempts at debating this issue. Evidence is plain to see ALL THROUGHOUT your post history. You didn’t need to use those words ("exact science") because your reliance on them says the same thing.

I guess you didn’t read the post you replied to? http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10861084.

And what part about - The VAST majority of the NFL is made up of 2~3 star, or completely unranked players - are you having trouble with? Only a small percentage of 4 and 5 star guys make it to the NFL. The stars are CLEARLY wrong more than they're right. Rivals says a 4-star guy is one who has potential for All-American honors, but then they show that only 1 in 33 4-star players actually do that. LOL, do you have a calculator handy? They do not mention the same goal for 3-star guys - they say they are a candidate for all-region, and then they also point out that more All-Americans are original 3-star players. Again, it is PROVEN: It is shallow-minded and ignorant to put so much emphasis on stars when trying to make objective analyses.

YOU: Did you say that I'm under the delusion that star rankings are an exact science? Yes or no?

ME: Yes I did, because you are. Almost every single silly point you’ve tried to make in this debate and dozens of others on this board are based on almost exclusively on star rankings. Yep, that’s shallow-minded and ignorant. "Under the delusion", if you prefer that description.

YOU: Did I also cite the number NFL-draft picks as another indicator of player-talent? Yes or no?

ME: I don’t know. I don't recall seeing the numbers, but then again, why would you cite overall (offense, defense, special teams) draft picks in an effort to claim our WRs were poorly coached or statistical anomaly? You mkae no sense.

YOU: Did I write above that one could argue that SCar had superior talent? Yes or no?

ME: I don’t know, did you? Either way, what does that have to do with the WRs in question? As usual, you seem lost and struggling.

You're kind of a weird guy - has anyone ever told you that? I know there are some that think you're pompous, and the evidence here clearly show you're incapable of thinking outside a narrow box, and you lack knowledge. That is shallow-minded and ignorant.

Wow! Nice self-contradictions & confusion!

Aug 22, 2011, 1:28 AM

Razz: Did I say star-rankings are an exact science?
Stanley: I never once said you did.

Razz: Did you say that I'm under the delusion that star rankings are an exact science?
Stanley: Yes I did...

What?!? Nice self-contradiction! That's funny!

Get it straight. As I've said to you many times, I do not think star-rankings are an exact science. But when your team has higher star-rankings AND you're getting far more guys drafted by the NFL (than the teams that beat you) you probably have superior player-talent.

Razz: Did I also cite the number of NFL-draft picks as another indicator of player-talent?
Stanley: I don’t know. I don't recall seeing the numbers...

Well you should know because I cited the NFL draft numbers a couple posts above, which is what you responded to!!! You should read and comprehend my comments before you tell me I’m wrong!
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10856067#10856067

Stanley: ...but then again, why would you cite overall (offense, defense, special teams) draft picks in an effort to claim our WRs were poorly coached or statistical anomaly? You mkae no sense.

Your confusing this thread with the article from several days ago. In this thread we're not talking about the WRs. We're talking Dabo losing to teams with inferior player-talent. Pay attention!

Razz wrote: Did I write above that one could argue that SCar had superior talent?
Stanley: I don’t know, did you?

[b}Well you should know because I wrote it a couple posts above which is what you responded to and what we're discussing now!!! Again, you should read and comprehend my comments before you tell me I’m wrong.
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10856067#10856067

Stanley wrote: Either way, what does that have to do with the WRs in question? As usual, you seem lost and struggling.

That's ironic since you can't keep track of which thread you're on, and you're blasting me about my post when you don't even know what I wrote!!!

Stanley: You're kind of a weird guy... pompous... incapable of thinking outside a narrow box, and you lack knowledge. That is shallow-minded and ignorant.

Ah yes... more insults. That is certainly the hallmark of an intelligent, civilized, Christian adult. Brilliant! Bravo!

Dabo's coaching didn't take us to the ACC champ. game.

Aug 18, 2011, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now ]

Those guys you just mentioned did.

Re: Dabo's coaching didn't take us to the ACC champ. game.

Aug 19, 2011, 9:22 AM

Everytime spiller scored I said...another recruiting td...because it had very little to do with coaching and more to do with god given talent

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL. Yeah, motivation, and X's and O's have nothing to do

Aug 19, 2011, 7:07 PM

with it. Just recruit good players and let them run around and score and stuff. Yeah, that's all you need to do. LOL.

So when we started 2-3...

Aug 19, 2011, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Dabo's coaching didn't take us to the ACC champ. game. ]

..coaching had nothing to do with winning 6 in row and being put within a minute of playing in the BCS?

You simply cannot say coaches don't deserve credit for using good players to help them win.

Aug 18, 2011, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now ]

Razz, you are such a pompous A$$ HOLE. I guess walking in your shoes is like walking in the shoes of Mr. PERFECT!!!

Yup. Lacks ability to comprehend solid reasoning as well.***

Aug 18, 2011, 7:10 PM

Ironic coming from the guy who evaded answering my questions***

Aug 18, 2011, 8:13 PM

BS. I didn't evade a darn thing. Contrarily you have yet to

Aug 19, 2011, 6:45 PM

admit it's ignorant (yes, "ignorant") to state there are only two possible reasons for 3 players not performing up to your expectations. You said it has to be either a) they're poorly coached, or b) they're a statistical anomaly.

I've proven without a doubt that that's a silly argument. It doesn't have to be either one of those things. Not even close to being that simple.

We can review the whole thing again if you like, but the bottom line is you have yet to admit your argument was dumb.

I haven't evaded anything. All you're doing here is proving what me and others are saying about you.

Yes, you repeatedly avoided answering. Here are the links.

Aug 19, 2011, 8:17 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10845322#10845322

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10775657#10775657

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10771763#10771763

There is NOTHING to answer there. Just more examples of too

Aug 19, 2011, 8:24 PM

many words with zero substance. Yet again, the bottom line is it's ignorant of you to suggest coaching or statistical anomalies are the only possible reasons 3 players haven't yet lived up to the their star billing. None of your other verbose nonsense is even worth discussing.

In other words you can't answer. Too funny. Nice excuse.***

Aug 19, 2011, 8:58 PM

What part of "NOTHING" are you having trouble with?

Aug 20, 2011, 1:51 PM

Bottom line remains, your position is shallow-minded and ignorant.

The part where you repeatedly avoid my 2 questions. LOL.***

Aug 21, 2011, 2:24 AM

Still having trouble with the word "NOTHING", huh?

Aug 21, 2011, 1:44 PM

But just for the heck of it, let's dismiss your irrelevant questions:

YOU: You're shoving words in my mouth!

ME: No, I'm not. I'm using my words, which 100% accurately describe your words. Let me know how many links you need to prove it. Not that is matters though, since you CLEARLY put too much emphasis on stars, over and over again, and you refuse to acknowledge there are several other possibilities for 3 WRs not yet meeting 4-star accolades.

Guys in question: Marquan Jones, Bryce McNeal, Brandon Ford, Nuke Hopkins. Get stats.

My basis,

a) A QB who regressed and was afraid to throw the ball. Often there were open WRs, but no throws. It’s not the WRs or the WRs coach's fault that the system sucked and the QB went backwards.

b) A couple of them are still clearly developing. See Ford. See preseason comments about McNeal. A new system will help immensely without changing anything about their talent or coaching.

c) One of them has played a lot and has contributed to his fullest extent. He has had ample opportunities, and nothing in his game suggests he poorly coached. He was simply not accurately rated coming out high-school… as is the case with most individual star ratings.

d) One of them has irrefutably displayed 4 star talent, and the same coach is coaching him. Another player improved under the coach and has since gone on to a highly lucrative professional career.

All of these reasons are more realistic than simply saying they were poorly coached of statistical anomalies. You lost this debate weeks ago.

Saying you’re shallow-minded and ignorant for insisting on your 2 options and refusing to allow any other options, is 100% accurate.

YOU: If you look at Clemson's roster over the last few year, you also see that most 4-star recruits at other positions (who remain healthy & eligible) perform like 4-stars, whereas only 1/4 (25%) of the 4-star WRs performed like 4-stars. If I'm wrong, simply list the names of the underperforming 4-stars at other positions. You can't do it, can you? So I'll look forward to another evasive reply.

ME: You're wrong.

Here are our 4-star guys on the roster last year and some commentary on whether or not they've met 4-star accolades. Let me first point out that you're saying we had 80% of our 4-star players meet their grade, yet you also contend the team was poorly coached. That's laughable, but it's a subject for another time.

4-star players and whether or not they lived up to the billing:

Jarvis Jenkins YES
DMac YES
Dwayne Allen YES
Andre Ellington YES
Brandon Thompson YES
Nuke Hopkins YES
Marcus Gilchrist YES

Brandon Ford TBD
Antoine McClain TBD
Dalton Freeman TBD
Landon Walker TBD
Bryce McNeal TBD
Tajh Boyd TBD
Malliciah Goodman TBD
Jonathon Meeks TBD
Tavaris Barnes TBD
Desmond Brown TBD
Martavis Bryant TBD
Corey Crawford TBD
Garry Peters TBD
Darius Robinson TBD
Josh Watson TBD
Bashaud Breeland TBD
Xavier Brewer TBD/NO

Justin Parker NO
Tig Willard NO
Rod McDowell NO
Brandon Thomas NO
Jamie Harper NO
Marquan Jones NO
Spencer Adams NO
Kyle Parker NO
Kourtnei Brown NO

LMAO. Are you sure it's "80%". Just admit it, you pulled that out of your a$$, huh?

In a nutshell, AGAIN, rankings of individual players miss more than they hit. Only 1 in 53 four-star players ever end up making any type of All-American list. Rivals says 3-star guys are only good enough to make all-region, yet more All-Americans come from the 3-star group. That's mean they mis-ranked them to begin with.

There were 1805 4-star players between 2006 and 2010. How many of them made an All-American list? Pull out your calculator, divide 1 by 53, then multiply 1805 by your answer. Do you get 34 or so? LMAO. If they were truly 4-star players coming out of high-school, then more than 1.8% should make some type of all-American grade. Obviously they miss A LOT more than they hit.

And the pros? Not many. Not many at all since most of the league is made up of 2-3 star guys or completely unranked players.

That’s a TON if misses...a lot more missed than hits. Yet, here you are, continuing to lean on stars as if they’re an exact science. This is a riot!

Well you almost answered one out of two questions.

Aug 22, 2011, 7:03 AM

Razz: 1) I'm right about you shoving words in my mouth that I NEVER SAID, as I detailed in my previous post. If I'm wrong, prove it by simply copying & pasting my words.

Stanley: I'm using my words, which 100% accurately describe your words.

I didn't challenge you to repeat your mischaracterizaion of what I said. I challenged you to cut and paste what I actually said so that we can see just how far off your mischaracterizations are. You failed AGAIN.

Razz: 2) If you look at Clemson's roster over the last few year, you also see that most 4-star recruits at other positions (who remain healthy & eligible) perform like 4-stars, whereas only 1/4 (25%) of the 4-star WRs performed like 4-stars. If I'm wrong, simply list the names of the underperforming 4-stars at other positions.

I give you partial credit for trying, but you conveniently left a bunch of NFLers off your list, and gaving failing marks to really good young guys who were playing behind more senior 4-5 star NFLers, etc. Not exactly fair of you. Here's my modified version of your list.

Whether or not they achieved their star rating:

WRs (25% hits).
Nuke Hopkins YES (Agree)
Brandon Ford TBD--> NO. Washed out at WR with no 4-star upperclassmen ahead of him.
Bryce McNeal--> NO. Unlike Nuk. McNeal was lackluster. with no 4-star upperclassmen ahead of him.
Marquan Jones NO (Agree.)

Rest of the recent roster:

YES (83%)
Jarvis Jenkins YES (Agree)
Deandre McDaniel YES (Agree)
Dwayne Allen YES (Agree)
Andre Ellington YES (Agree)
Brandon Thompson YES (Agree)
Marcus Gilchrist YES (Agree)
Crezdon Butler YES. NFL
Jamie Cumbie YES
Jacoby Ford YES. NFL
Byron Maxwell. YES NFL
Ricky Sapp YES. NFL
CJ Spiller. YES NFL.
Dalton Freeman TBD --> YES. 1st team freshman All American, & Freshman All ACC.
Landon Walker TBD --> YES. 3 year starter so far.
Jamie Harper NO --> Yes. Starting RB. 4th round NFL draft pick as a junior! Get real!
Malliciah Goodman TBD. --> Yes. Played great but behind 4/5-star upperclassmen. Coaches rave.
Jonathan Meeks TBD --> Yes. Played well behind 4-star upperclassmen.
DaQuan Bowers YES (You missed this NFLer.)
Miguel Chavis YES (You missed this NFLer.)

NO (17%)
Spencer Adams NO (Agree)
Tig Willard NO (Disagree but I’ll give it to you.)
Brandon Thomas NO (TBD. But I'll give it to you.)
Kourtnei Brown NO (Disagree. Played behind NFLers but I’ll give it to you.)

TBDs/Injured:
Rod McDowell NO--> TBD. Played behind two 4-star upperclassmen. Barely played.
Kyle Parker NO --> Twice broke ribs. Doesn’t count. 2009 Freshman All-American, Dabo said would get drafted.
Tajh Boyd TBD (Agree). Behind more senior 4-star.
Martavis Bryant TBD (Agree. Hargrave.)
Xavier Brewer TBD/NO--> TBD/Yes. Played well behind NFL upperclassmen.
Tavaris Barnes TBD (Agree. Played behind NFL upperclassmen.
Desmond Brown TBD (Agree. RS Frosh behind NFLers.)
Garry Peters TBD (Agree. Youngster behind senior guys.)
Darius Robinson TBD (Agree. Youngster behind senior guys.)
Josh Watson TBD (Agree. Youngster behind senior guys.)
Bashaud Breeland TBD (Agree. Youngster behind senior guys.)
Cortez Davis TBD (Agree. Youngster behind senior guys.)
Eric MacLain TBD (Agree. Youngster behind senior guys.)
Justin Parker NO-->TBD (Was a true freshman behind more senior guys!!!)

So it looks like I was right. About 83% of our 4/5-star recruits end up performing like 4/5-stars... except for the receivers where only 25% performed like 4-stars.

As Ive pointed out before, your statement about the recruiting services missing more than they hit only applies wto here the services don't get to properly evaluate kids from small schools and far-off states like North Dakota. But the 4/5-star recruits that the services do identify, mostly end up performing like 4/5-star players. (See the 83% above at Clemson in recent years.)

Instead of vulgar name-calling, make a logical counterpoint.***

Aug 18, 2011, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now ]

Aug 18, 2011, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now ]

I just put my first Clemson fan on ignore. But I really wonder if Razz is a Clemson fan....

Thanks!!! Now I won't have to suffer your vulgar insults.

Aug 18, 2011, 8:22 PM

And I can spend more time exchanging views with people who are tolerant of differing opinions and can articulate opinions like a civilized, Christrian adult. Excellent!!!

Aug 18, 2011, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now ]

That's ok, just give him 10 years and he will be like Nick Saban.....I mean we have seen such potential in him so far right?!?! Like you said, NO OTHER D1 school would have given him an interview for head coach, NO ONE! THAT alone should tell you something

He won't get 10 years, and he won't need it.***

Aug 18, 2011, 7:23 PM

Re: He won't get 10 years, and he won't need it.***

Aug 18, 2011, 7:27 PM

He will get ALL the time he wants, why fire him, we obviously have no interest in winning football games!?!

Sorry man, I didn't realize I was dealing with someone so

Aug 18, 2011, 7:29 PM

bitter and ignorant.

Mark this post and we'll talk later in the season... if you're anywhere to be found.

Re: Sorry man, I didn't realize I was dealing with someone so

Aug 18, 2011, 7:35 PM

LMAO, yeah after we win 6 games this season (MAYBE, of course we have TWO preseason games so that should help!)and get our ##### kicked by USuC for the THIRD year in a row, Im sure you will be there, with your "Yabba Dabo Do" shirt on....get real

Like I said, let's mark these posts.

Aug 18, 2011, 7:43 PM

Win or lose, I will be here. However, I'm betting I will have a ton of opportunity to poke fun of ignorant people like yourself.

By the way, Steve,

Aug 18, 2011, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry man, I didn't realize I was dealing with someone so ]

Would you like to make a friendly wager on your "6 wins" prognosis?

Re: Sorry man, I didn't realize I was dealing with someone so

Aug 18, 2011, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry man, I didn't realize I was dealing with someone so ]

You and the other "PERFECT ARM CHAIR COACHES" on here, have forgotten or never new...the same "type of people" were calling for Danny Ford's head when he was losing, too. Short memories.
Everyone needs an opportunity. The other factor...there may be "MANAGEMENT" pressure from above that was tying his hands at that time. We are not privileged to that information, and may never know it.

I don't blame Dabo for taking the job. I blame TDP.

Aug 19, 2011, 1:17 AM

It's not that I'm perfect or I blame Dabo for making rookie mistakes and learning on the job. I'm sure he's a smart guy and he's doing his best. Maybe he'll be a great coach someday and maybe even next season. I don't blame Dabo for accepting the job offer. I would have accepted the job too-- even though I'm not qualified either. I just can't believe that a once-proud, big-league football school like Clemson hired a guy with no experience to make mistakes while learning on-the-job. It's not 1980 anymore. What other big-league school has done such a thing in the last 20 years? It's astonishing.

Re: I don't blame Dabo for taking the job. I blame TDP.

Aug 19, 2011, 9:18 AM

ALABAMA

Bama is a PERFECT example. Hired a great coach. Won BCS NC

Aug 19, 2011, 3:48 PM

Bear Bryant and every Alabama head coach since The Bear have had experience as a coordinator or a head coach. Alabama wanted to be a national contender so they went out and hired one of the best head coaches in the country in Nick Saban, who led them to a couple BCS bowls and a national title. Clemson hired a wide-receivers coach.

Re: I don't blame Dabo for taking the job. I blame TDP.

Aug 19, 2011, 11:05 AM [ in reply to I don't blame Dabo for taking the job. I blame TDP. ]

Let's see ... I think Tulsa hired some high school coach to run their offense. hmmm turned out pretty good -- except he left for some other school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-tigertaz.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tulsa isn't a big-league school and Morris wasn't their HC.***

Aug 19, 2011, 3:27 PM

Everyone who disagrees with StanleyTiger is "ignorant".

Aug 18, 2011, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Sorry man, I didn't realize I was dealing with someone so ]

There is no room for differing opinions in StanleyTiger's world.

Incorrect. Not everyone...

Aug 19, 2011, 6:59 PM

Only the ignorant ones. You've done nothing to disprove it. Sorry if the truth hurts.

But you only name-call "ignorant" those who disagree w/ YOU!***

Aug 19, 2011, 8:27 PM

Again, completely incorrect.

Aug 20, 2011, 2:07 PM

Man, you have horrible reading comprehension.

I only call ignorant people ignorant. Examples of your ignorance abound all throughout your post history. It's not my fault you can't see what most everyone else sees.

"What most everyone else sees"?

Aug 21, 2011, 3:56 AM

In your world, your opinions are fact, my opinions are "ignorant", "shallow-minded" "nonsense", and "most everyone else sees" that. But in the real world, here are the comments that other TigerNet members interjected into our last discussion...

Razz seems to have a reasonable argument that is also rather well supported. http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10766062#10766062

Stan. Read it slower if you can't get it. You are not sharp but I think even you can grasp this.
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10770906

So you're making jokes now?

Aug 21, 2011, 1:50 PM

There are several folks pointing out your idiocy in this thread, and several all throughout your post history. You deny that? So you were able to find one guy saying he agreed with your silly star prognosis, even though he hasn't even tried to address the reality of it as I have done.

FAIL.

Then you cite a known deranged gamecock poser as evidence against my stance, even though she supplied NOTHING towards the subject? Really?! You cannot be serious.

I gotta admit though, it's funny when you call dsp a "girl" in the very same line where you accuse of him namecalling.

Dude, you need to do a better job of dealing with reality. Denial is not good for you.

I'm pointing out that your opinions aren't gospel fact

Aug 22, 2011, 12:03 AM

There were only two posters that interjected into our previous discussion and both of them sided with me. No doubt some people agree with your opinions and some people agree with mine. The difference is that you think your opinions are fact and so you insult those who disagree as "ignorant", "shallow-minded", and "deranged".

I've gotten lots of T-mails from longtime, die-hard Clemson fans who tell me that they agree with my criticisms about Dabo and they ask me to keep up the good fight for our beloved alma mater. They also say that they're T-mailing me in private because if they publicly crtique Dabo on T-Net then Dabo-fans like you badger them with uncivilized insults, like you and DeadSolidPerfect have done to me here.

What makes you think DeadSolidPerfect is a guy? Surely a Clemson man wouldn't use a vulgar sexist term like "biotch". I think DSP is a girl. DSP didn't say otherwise in his/her response to me.

an apology? do you feel entitled to one razz?

Aug 19, 2011, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now ]

honestly, i hope one never comes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. What a strange, irrelevant question!***

Aug 19, 2011, 7:43 PM

you certainly told him he should have in your post; seems a

Aug 19, 2011, 9:36 PM

simple, natural progression of thought to me.

personally, i don't feel for a moment he owes anyone an apology.

If I say X should do Y. You ask. Do you feel ENTITLED to Y?

Aug 19, 2011, 11:46 PM

If I say Dabo should fire Napier, do you think it would be normal to respond, "Do you feel entitled to Napier's firing?" To me that would be a strange response.

The next time somebody says to you, "You/He should do X," please respond, "Do you feel entitled to X?" Then check out the look on the person's face.

no, wouldn't in the least, different realm altogether, but

Aug 20, 2011, 1:21 AM

if you're comforted by that so be it. you suggested an apology should have been given, you suggested it should have been given to fans[i'm assuming you're one], i don't need one, but apparently you do or feel it necessary that one should be issued.

i simply asked if your demand wss entitlement. i think you don't like the word, which is fine, but you certainly feel one should be issued. good luck with that...

I'm amazed that you couldn't tell that I was being facetious

Aug 20, 2011, 1:51 PM

Wow! Did you really read my post and think that I'm seriously expecting Dabo to stand up and give those apologies and thank-you's? I'm amazed that the facetiousness and hyperbole went right over your head.

i'm amazed that you've backed down like a lil biotch...

Aug 20, 2011, 2:18 PM

i gave you too much credit, it won't happen again.

Name-calling from a girl can't grasp hyperbole. Too funny.***

Aug 21, 2011, 2:34 AM

feeling wronged again? you write flowery with no sack...

Aug 21, 2011, 8:02 AM

perhaps you should take up hiaku?

biotch.

Feeling vindicated. You write with sack. I write with brain

Aug 21, 2011, 12:49 PM

Apparently you believe that you can make your point by hurling vulgar, juvenile insults "with sack". I believe in intelligent, logical, civilized, point-counterpoint discussions.

Apparently you were embarrassed to answer my simple question above so you avoided answering and instead you issued trashy insults. Here, let me ask you again...

Did you really read my post and think that I'm seriously expecting Dabo to stand up and make those apologies and thank-you's? A simple "yes" or "no" will do.
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10855158

You're delusional.***

Aug 21, 2011, 1:51 PM

a brain? you? i believe it was you that offered the

Aug 21, 2011, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Feeling vindicated. You write with sack. I write with brain ]

completely misplaced analogy and then cast a gauntlet.

i never resorted to name calling until you did; "backed down like a lil biotch" is a simile. i'm afraid your frosh english professor would like a word with you, i'm sure he/she will take it off 78 and slow it down to 33 so you can keep up.

you took up a cause and suggested an apology was owed the fanbase; you don't speak for me nor should you ever attempt to do so. you wade in the kiddie pool with your lack of depth, then plunge headlong into the deep end. there are sharks in the deep end, but you still venture forth, protected by a cage of overblown self-worth...

"you go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, sharks in the water...

farewell and adieu to you fair spanish lady, farewell and adieu to you lady of spain...and so nevermore shall we see you again"...

you're so worried about form you offer no substance; you bore me.

you're dismissed.

You nailed it dsp.***

Aug 21, 2011, 2:35 PM

You avoid answering AGAIN? How embarrassing for you!

Aug 22, 2011, 2:16 AM [ in reply to a brain? you? i believe it was you that offered the ]

I have no idea what analogy you're referring to.

But let me get this straight. If you say, "You're a biotch," that's vulgar, juvenile name-calling, but if you say, "You act like a biotch" that's just a lovely liteary device known as a "simile". I can't tell if you're joking, but I hope so because that is REALLY funny. It's also probably the weakest backdown I've ever heard on T-Net.

But if I use the literary device of hyperbole, it goes right over your head. Which reminds me... Once again, you avoided answering my simple question. Let's see if you have the sack to answer my simple question, yes or no or if you'll avoid answering AGAIN...

Did you really read my post and think that I'm seriously expecting Dabo to stand up and make those apologies and thank-you's? A simple "yes" or "no" will do. No need for tangents and poetry.
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10855158

you still demanding apologies and answers?

Aug 22, 2011, 8:30 AM

Has it not yet sunk in to that simple mind of yours that you are entitled to neither of those?

hidden in hyperbole or not, demanding/expecting an apology suggests you've been wronged . have you been wronged lil one?

bye, bye now. i'll let you come back, throw a tantrum, stomp around the room and demand your answers to your simple-minded questions, while all along avoiding the real issue and being wrong in the doing.

what a maroon.

Because Clemson isn't financially committed to doing what-

Aug 21, 2011, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Swinney admits that he was in over his head but maybe OK now ]

ever it takes to win football games.

West said he wasn't ready to be a head coach at Clemson

Aug 18, 2011, 6:39 PM

when he went to Memphis. So that means we have wasted 6-7 seasons for on the job training last couple of decades since we won our last championship.

There was a lot of room for him to get wiser

Aug 18, 2011, 7:34 PM

in 8 or 9 years we may have us a coach!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Sorry to say that nothing in the article leads

Aug 18, 2011, 9:49 PM

me to believe he is wiser. Hope I wrong.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he loses to the coots again..smart or not... He's GONE!

Aug 18, 2011, 10:24 PM

Ive been saying it for years...he is WAY over his head. Great recruiter but terrible head coach!

Wrong. Nothing he does this year will get him fired.

Aug 18, 2011, 10:47 PM

He bought himself a free pass for 2011 with the hiring of Morris.

Re: Wrong. Nothing he does this year will get him fired.

Aug 19, 2011, 12:14 AM

You know, I remember growing up in the 80's and hearing people ##### and moan about Ford. Thank goodness there was no internet then or there would have been a bunch of idiots complaining about every misstep he took.

All of you Hall of Fame internet coaches need to lay off the criticisms unless it's valid. Yeah Dabo has made some bone headed moves but in my eyes he has redeemed himself in many ways particularly with the coaching hires he has made. We'll see how his game day decision process goes this year.

I think a lot of people just want many of the complainers to wait and see what happens on the field this year. If it's the same old stuff then let her rip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Um I'm not complaining about Dabo. Take your bitching

Aug 19, 2011, 6:43 AM

somewhere else.

Re: If he loses to the coots again..smart or not... He's GONE!

Aug 19, 2011, 2:28 AM [ in reply to If he loses to the coots again..smart or not... He's GONE! ]

He better get a realtor

Who should Clemson have hired after the 2008 season?...

Aug 19, 2011, 8:29 AM

I don't know many people who had Dabo first on their list, so who sould have been a better selection? What should the criteria have been?

I think he's done a good job so far. He made it to the ACC CG his first season with basically the same players that Tommy had. He had the 2010 National Champions beat last season. Our team was put in a position to win, Parker (who was hurt) just missed an open man. What else could he have done? Recruiting is as good as its ever been. Who would do better? I see two issues. 1) Offence, and he's addressed that. 2) Never recovering from the let down of the Auburn loss last season. We'll know if that's been corrected soon enough.

Maybe Dabo will work out, maybe he won't, but generalizations and name calling don't make Dabo look bad, they make the fan base look bad.

Thats good spin

Aug 19, 2011, 10:06 AM

But he inherited a team with Ford and Spiller, had a good year with TB's players, and has gotten worse every year since. Losing two in a row to sc plus a losing season...hwat would constitute poor coaching other than losing seasons, losing to the biggest rival??

If one losing season and back to back losses to your biggest

Aug 19, 2011, 11:53 AM

rival makes you a bad coach then how should we rate Bobby Bowden? He lost to Florida in 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986. And we already know he's had a losing season.

Re: 2009, He was able to do something, with almost the exact same players, that the previous coach couldn't. And aren't our recruiting classes continuing to exceed expectations?

Again, I'm not suggesting Dabo's a great coach, but the arguments I've seen on hear against him seem weak and unconvincing.

Re: If one losing season and back to back losses to your biggest

Aug 19, 2011, 11:58 AM

rival makes you a bad coach then how should we rate Bobby Bowden? He lost to Florida in 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986. And we already know he's had a losing season.

Re: 2009, He was able to do something, with almost the exact same players, that the previous coach couldn't. And aren't our recruiting classes continuing to exceed expectations?

Again, I'm not suggesting Dabo's a great coach, but the arguments I've seen on here against him seem weak and unconvincing.

Wrong here/hear.... sorry

Patterson, Peterson, Kelly, Hoke, Chizik, Muschamp, Golden,

Aug 19, 2011, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Who should Clemson have hired after the 2008 season?... ]

Fisher, Strong, et al. There's a long list of seasoned, proven coaches and coordinators that Clemson could have hired instead of a making the outrageous move of hiring a zero-experience WR cooach like Dabo. Any of those guys would have almost certainly kept Dabo (and Napier) onboard for their great recruiting skills. No other big-league AD would have even interviewed Dabo for HC.

You give Dabo a lot of credit for winning the ACC Atlantic in a very down year and then losing the ACCCG to a GT team (for the 2nd time in 2009) that had vastly inferior player-talent. Keep in mind that 2009 Clemson team had five 2010 NFL draftees (including CJ) and six 2011 NFL draftees. I think that exemplifies Dabo's weak coaching. If Dabo had hired a good, seasoned OC, instead of making the rookie mistake of hiring his inexperienced buddy, Napier, then Clemson would have probably won the ACC and gone to a BCS bowl.

You give Dabo credit for narrowly losing to Auburn. I think less of him for blowing a 1st half lead and giving that game away with weak, conservative play-calling, splitting the carries evenly between Ellington & Harper, etc. Clemson lost largely because Dabo was out-coached.

You think that Dabo succeeded by putting the team in a "position to win". I think Dabo failed by losing 8 games in the last two years to teams with inferior player-talent. I just don't see how anyone can spin that as good coaching.

In 2009, Dabo lost 4 games to 3 teams with inferior player talent; UMD, SCar, & GT (x2).

In 2010, Dabo lost 3 games to 3 teams with clearly inferior player talent (UNC, BC, & USF) and he got absolutely spanked by SCar which had slightly inferior talent. (See links below for data showing Clemson had superior talent.)

I didn't see one comment above where anybody name-called Dabo. I did see comments above where Dabo-fans name-called Clemson-fans who expressed their honest opinions about Dabo and TDP's hiring of Dabo.

I hope that after TWO YEARS of rookie mistakes, Dabo has learned enough to be a good coach and he goes 14-0.

BC:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/24/2182690/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-boston-college-2010

USF:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/12/22/1890972/two-deep-talent-recruiting-comparison-clemson-and-usf

South Carolina:

That's a lot of info....

Aug 19, 2011, 2:24 PM

1)"I didn't see one comment above where anybody name-called Dabo. I did see comments above where Dabo-fans name-called Clemson-fans who expressed their honest opinions about Dabo and TDP's hiring of Dabo."
-"OC to overcome a doofus of a coach and some misses in the recruiting of WRs"

2)"You give Dabo a lot of credit for winning the ACC Atlantic in a very down year and then losing the ACCCG to a GT team."
-Yes, I give him, the players, the staff and the entire Clemson family credit. Making it to the ACC CG was great.

3)"You give Dabo credit for narrowly losing to Auburn. I think less of him for blowing a 1st half lead and giving that game away with weak, conservative play-calling, splitting the carries evenly between Ellington & Harper, etc. Clemson lost largely because Dabo was out-coached."
- What do you think of Nick Saban?

4)"You think that Dabo succeeded by putting the team in a "position to win". I think Dabo failed by losing 8 games in the last two years to teams with inferior player-talent. I just don't see how anyone can spin that as good coaching."
- That's the coaches job... have your team in a position to win.

5)"In 2009, Dabo lost 4 games to 3 teams with inferior player talent; UMD, SCar, & GT (x2)."
- That's true and dissapointing, but not as dissapointing as VT losing to James Madison. Is Beamer a bad coach?

6)Chizik was in his second straight losing season at Iowa State... was he on anyone except Auburn's wish list? We spoke with Patterson, I don't have any idea what happened there. Can't speak to the others.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that Dabo's a good coach, like I said, time will tell. I also don't want to make this me vs. you... we all pull for Clemson. I do think it's premature to label Dabo as a bad coach when he's done no worse than some of the greats in coaching history though 2 seasons.

Re: That's a lot of info....

Aug 19, 2011, 7:36 PM

1) I missed the "doofus" commment, and I don't like name-callling.

2) Losing to GT twice was torture for me, but I respect your opinion.

3) What do you think of Nick Saban?
I think we all know that the Auburn team that beat Alabama was a LOT better than the Auburn team that beat Clemson. Nick Saban has won multiple national championships and incredible success. I can only dream about how great Clemson would be if Clemson hired a proven, great coach like Saban.

4) That's the coaches job... have your team in a position to win.
I think coaches get paid to win, not to put their teams in a "position to win" (which I guess means putting them on the field where they lose 8 games in 2 years to inferior opponents).

5) Occasional upsets happen (like the JMU-VT Boise-hangover upset). But good coaches like Beamer don't consistently lose to inferior teams, like Dabo does. Beamer has had 7-straight 10+ win seasons since joining the ACC, and he's won the ACC 4 times in 7 years. After 2 disappointing losses last season, Beamer rallied his team to an ACC title. Beamer had head coaching experience before VT hired him to build a previously weak VT program.

6) Chizik wouldn't have been at the top of my list, but I'd have taken him over Dabo. I don't think you can blame Chizik for not being able to turn around the perennially weak Iowa State program in 2 years. He was the DC for UCF and for Auburn, where he won the Broyles Award after his defense (ranked #5) won the SEC en route to a perfect 12-0 season. And he was DC of Texas when they won the BCS title. Unlike Dabo, Chizik had a resume of leadership and accomplishment.

I think Dabo might turn out to be a good coach someday. I hope he goes 14-0 en route to a national title this season. But when a coach loses 8 games to inferior teams in 2 years, I have to conclude that Dabo hasn't been a very good coach and that Clemson could have hired somebody better.

Your "inferior teams" thing is nonsense.***

Aug 19, 2011, 7:40 PM

Star-rankings & # of NFL draft picks support my claim.

Aug 20, 2011, 12:57 PM

Star-rankings and the number of NFL draft picks aren't absolute proof that Clemson fielded superior talent, but it's evidence supporting my claim. If you think that BC, USF, GT, UMD, or UNC had more player-talent on the field than Clemson, or that SCar had so much more player-talent than Clemson that they should be able to spank the heck out of us, then would you please provide evidence to support your claim?

Or is it just your opinion, and my evidence-backed opinion isn't necessarily "nonsense"?

This is usually the point in our conversations where you avoid providing evidence while changing the subject and providing a concise insult.

No, they don't. Star rankings are wrong FAR MORE than

Aug 20, 2011, 2:05 PM

they're right, and the NFL is made up of mostly 2-3 star or completely unranked players. Again, what are you talking about? Thanks, though, for again showing shallow-mindedness and ignorance, acting like stars are an exact science.

Again, simply calling teams inferior based on star rankings is hilarious. By your simplistic approach, good teams and good coaches lose to inferior teams every single Saturday of every single year.

You're showing ignorance over and over again.

I knew you'd avoid answering my question/providing evidence!

Aug 21, 2011, 2:57 AM

Clemson had higher star rankings than the BC, USF, GT, UMD, or UNC teams that beat Clemson.

The NFL drafted far more players from Clemson than from the BC, USF, GT, UMD, or UNC teams that beat Clemson.

That's my evidence that Clemson had more player talent.

I'll ask again just to watch you avoid answering and squirm away again...

What's YOUR evidence that those teams had superior player talent to Clemson?

I've answered every pertinent question and several others

Aug 21, 2011, 2:00 PM

just to show you what an idiot you're being with this.

But just for fun...

“Clemson had higher star rankings than the BC, USF, GT, UMD, or UNC teams that beat Clemson.”

So out one side of your mouth you admit stars are wrong more than they’re right, but then out the other side you say something silly like the above to show (AGAIN) that you’re leaning on a known inaccurate system. Then you say you don't act like they're an exact science?? Dude, something is really wrong with your thought patterns.

Can you not see you contradicting yourself?

In any event, why did you attempt to use team rankings (from an inaccurate system) to discuss WRs? We’re only talking (4) WRs here. What are you not getting...besides everything?

Now that we established your inconsistency, can you also admit WRs weren’t the reasons we lost those games?

even though your team ranking have nothing to do with WRs, let's destroy your misguided premise anyway, just for kicks and giggles:

BC sucked and Maryland sucked. We should have beaten them, period. But then again, EVERY single Saturday of EVERY single season, teams lose to teams with lower rated star rankings. Good and great coaches lose to “inferior teams” every single Saturday. You can’t simply take an inaccurate star system and project that every higher ranked team should beat every lower rated team. That is a nutshell is your issue here, and certainly can be used as evidence that your position is shallow-minded and ignorant.

USF is a pretty good team with plenty of good players. Our WRs had nothing to do with that loss, but in any event, do you think if Boyd and Ford would’ve played the whole game it may have made a difference? Boyd came in and made Ford (who is firmly in the still developing list) look like an All-American. We'll see about Brandon.

GT? Did you watch them play that year? You really think we had more overall talent than them in 2009 when they finished #12 in the country? Did you see ANY games, or are you just reading stars? LOL. Did you see their QB, WR, and RBs? Did you see their NFL players on defense? We certainly didn’t lose to them because of statistical aberrations at WR or poorly coached WRs. Did you see what we did to them last year when they lost that talent? LOL. You are confused buddy.

And UNC?? Are you really suggesting we had more overall talent than them, nevermind the fact statistical aberrations or poor WR coaching had anything to do with losing that game? Another laughable case of you acting like stars are exact science.

Yet again, you're COMPLETELY LOST in your own nonsense shallow-mindedness, and outright ignorance.

Sorry if the truth hurts.

Wow! You still didn't answer my simple question.

Aug 22, 2011, 3:57 AM

Stanley wrote: So out one side of your mouth you admit stars are wrong more than they’re right, but then out the other side you say something silly like the above to show (AGAIN) that you’re leaning on a known inaccurate system. Then you say you don't act like they're an exact science??

I never said that stars are wrong more than they're right. And I never said that they're an exact science. But you keep claiming that's what I believe. It's mind boggling. Get it through your head. I've repeatedly said that I think the team star-rannkings are a good, albeit imperfect, indicator of the relative talent levels. Want evidence? The following study shows that higher-star ranked teams have a winning percentages against lower star-ranked teams
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Judging-the-recruiting-rankings-gam?urn=ncaaf-312875

You spewed a lot of tangential stuff there, but you still avoided answering my simple question.

What's YOUR evidence that those teams had superior player talent to Clemson?

I guess maybe you're saying that, unlike me, you don't have ANY evidence and that it's just your OPINION that USF, GT, UNC, & SCar had superior player-talent. But at least you admit tha Dabo lost to inferior-talent UMD & BC teams last season.

By the way, in 2009 GT finished #12 in the nation because they beat us twice. If we had beaten them twice, we might have been #12 and they might have finished #24. The NFL drafted more than twice as many Clemson players (11) than GT players (5) from that 2009 2-deep. I watch most GT games. In 2009 I watched them get beat by UGA, get pounded by a Miami team that we beat, and get absolutely destroyed by Iowa. And I watched GT squeak past a crappy Wake team in OT. That was not a great GT team. We had more talent. The NFL agrees with me.

I don't think you could find anyone who would say USF had more talent. The NFL drafted twice as many Clemson players (6) as USF players (3).

Wow! Notice how Clemson's higher number of NFL draft picks correlates with our higher star-rankings? Amazing coincidence, eh? Not really. This study shows the strong correlation.
http://www.athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-stars

UNC would have been more talented than Clemson, but with suspensions and injuries, they fielded a slightly weaker team in terms of player talent. The NFL drafted 6 Clemson players and 5 UNC players from that gameday 2-deep-- and two of those UNC guys returned from suspension (rusty) just in time for the Clemson game.

So the star-rankings and number of NFL draft picks support my opinion. Remind me again...

What's YOUR evidence that those teams had superior player talent to Clemson? You have ZERO evidence to back you up. It's just your infallible opinion, right?

LOL.

Aug 19, 2011, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Patterson, Peterson, Kelly, Hoke, Chizik, Muschamp, Golden, ]

You continue to highest ratio of most words:least substance of anyone on the board. This particular post is one of the most shallow-minded analogies I've ever read here... and you took all those words to do it? And your simplistic views of stars continue to make me laugh.

LOL. I guess that's your idea of an intelligent counterpoint***

Aug 19, 2011, 8:23 PM

Accurate, concise, and straight to the point...

Aug 19, 2011, 8:26 PM

Your overly simplistic analogies based on stars are hilarious.

Apparently a concise insult is an intelligent counterpoint!***

Aug 19, 2011, 9:11 PM

Water is wet. Fire is hot.

Aug 20, 2011, 1:53 PM

Your overly simplistic analogies based on stars are hilarious.

See a trend here?

Another brilliant post!***

Aug 21, 2011, 2:47 AM

Thanks man. If that's the best you can do to admit that you

Aug 21, 2011, 2:04 PM

have no viable response for your shallow-mindedness and ignorance, then good luck with that.

StanTard, take a basic stats class b/4 you say stupid things***

Aug 21, 2011, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Water is wet. Fire is hot. ]

Dirt Cash, knowing you're not too smart, allow me to point

Aug 21, 2011, 2:02 PM

out that it is stats that are precisely proving my point.

Go take your lithium pill, drink like a fish (as usual), and go lay down somewhere.

Who cares what he says about himself

Aug 19, 2011, 12:25 PM

time to put up or shut up. The last line about results says it all.

All in! Footballs deep!***

Aug 20, 2011, 2:09 PM

LOL***

Aug 21, 2011, 5:27 PM

Aug 22, 2011, 12:42 AM

Is this a new record for the length of a post?

:)

Replies: 155
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic