Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Steele adds new wrinkles to Clemson defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Jul 21, 2011, 11:45 PM

By studying teams like the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers this off-season, Kevin Steele thinks he has found some ways to fine-tune the Clemson defense. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Steele adds new wrinkles to Clemson defense

Jul 21, 2011, 11:55 PM

More GOOD STUFF the Opponent!
:)
GO TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2011, 9:52 AM

Me thinks we could be seeing some of the 2-4-5 and 3-3-5

One of the hardest working D Coordinators in the country!***

Jul 22, 2011, 10:34 AM

Jul 22, 2011, 10:44 AM

I bet all the guys that were so down on Steele the first couple of seasons have been eating crow. Talent and depth is so important in this game. And now that Steele has both, I look for our D to be very stout. Also, I never thought that Steele was run off from Bama. But what I have seen in Steele's demeanor. I can see why him and Saban would be butting heads. In both their characters show of some arrogants....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2011, 11:16 AM

They just moved to Dabo and Napier. When Dabo has this thing working they'll be on somebody else!!! Bank on it

Steele isn't better than Koenning. Dabo screwed up on Napier

Jul 22, 2011, 1:04 PM

I like Kevin Steele and when Dabo hired Steele I was looking forward to a tougher, more aggressive style of defense than Vic Koennning ran. But the defense wasn't the problem when Dabo took over, and the defense hasn't been the problem since Koenning was DC. In fact, Koenning's defenses were always good and statistically better than Steele's. (See stats below.)

Instead of fixing Clemson's horrible offense, Dabo foolishly focused on fixing a defense that wasn't broke by replacing a good, seasoned DC with a good, seasoned DC. But he replaced the awful Rob Spence with the awful nobody, Billy Napier, thereby wasting two years, hurting the team & fans, and hurting the NFL aspirations of some of the players who might have gotten noticed by the NFL under a better OC & HC.

Dabo foolishly wasted 2 years. Hopefully he's now learned from his on-the-job training. He belatedly seems to have recognized some of the coaching problems and has moved to rectify them with what seem to be decent replacements, like Morris (risky), Caldwell, & Elliott. But he probably should have replaced Jeff Scott too.

Year, Total-O, Total-D
2010, #88, #19 (Napier, Steele)
2009, #74, #20 (Napier, Steele)
2008, #87, #18 (Spence-Napier, Koenning)
2007, #52, #9 (Spence, Koenning)

Jul 22, 2011, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Steele adds new wrinkles to Clemson defense ]

"Talent and depth is so important in this game. And now that Steele has both, I look for our D to be very stout. "

Are you seeing something I'm not? We lost a lot of talent to the NFL last year. We had another starting LB transfer out. So where is all this talent your talking about?

Jul 22, 2011, 11:18 AM

It is amazing that our defense put up as good of numbers is it did last year as much as our offense left them on the field. That's why I dont worry about the fast paced Morris offense.. Our defense is used to coming back on the field quickly after last year.

I've been thinking the same thing. The D was hurt by the O.***

Jul 22, 2011, 11:34 AM

Next season we'll find out just how adaptable Steele can be.

Jul 22, 2011, 11:45 AM

The DBs are young but the talent (and speed) is there as it has been for the last several years. The LBs are decent-- not great. The DE rotation is pretty good, but the loss of Bowers will have the DE unit down a bit from last year. However, I think that the DL interior is going to be noticeably down from last year. If that's true, then it'll be interesting to see what Steele does to compensate, coach up the young guys, and utilize the personnel that he's got. Steele has been good, but next weason we'll see how adaptable he is.

I wonder what those new wrinkles will be?

Jul 23, 2011, 4:02 PM

I can see him playing different defenses, depending on the team we're playing (3-4,4-3,3-2-5). Defending against a hurry up, spread offense,seems to be the Holy-Grail. I imagine big fast LBs, able to pass rush, stop the run, and fall back and cover. Anybody else have any ideas?

Hopefully wrinkles on the faces of Spurrier, Fisher, et al !***

Jul 23, 2011, 6:24 PM

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic