Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coastal Carolina to face Clemson next three years
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Jun 9, 2011, 7:03 PM

Coastal Carolina has signed a three-year contract with in-state rival Clemson to have the schools meet on the hardwood for the next three seasons. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cliff Ellis was a good coach and overall good representative

Jun 9, 2011, 8:03 PM

while at Clemson.

Re: Coastal Carolina to face Clemson next three years

Jun 9, 2011, 8:07 PM

Now this is what I am talking about. Whether we are going to be a good team next year or bad (due to losing a ton of experience), lets get out there and play some people. Now I'm not saying CC is a powerhouse, but they are a contender in their league almost every year. Throw that in with Arizona, our Big Ten match up, and our tournament in Hawaii, and we are playing some people.

Jun 9, 2011, 8:53 PM

Now that is what I am talking about? Are you kidding me? Are you actually going to waste the time looking forward to a matchup with Coastal Carolina? Well, Cliff is the same no coaching guy he was when at Clemson. Coastal couldn't even win the Big South tournament that was held on their own home floor. Talk about choke jobs. Please.....for years everyone has been bored to tears by Clemson proving that they could win the SoCon every year with their pre-season schedule. This is worse than that. Not criticizing the schedule, as CU needs to amass as many wins as they can before ACC play, but beating Coastal would be no feat, and certainly nothing to look forward to.

It's a calculated move by Brownell

Jun 9, 2011, 10:52 PM

he's expressed a desire to play in different parts of the state to assist in recruiting and give fans in those places a chance to see the team in their territory. We play in Columbia every other year. Played in Charleston last year. Myrtle Beach in 2 years. I'd expect us to work out a similar deal with Winthrop at some point and possibly even Furman in Greenville. And the reason Coastal lost the Big South was because they lost their starting PG to injury, and leading scorer and another key player to suspension. Prior to that they were 24-2 with wins over LSU, Auburn and several other high majors. Cliff has made Coastal a quality low mid major program.

People forget that Cliff is the most successful coach in CU

Jun 10, 2011, 12:47 AM

history. We won our only ACC regular season title under him. He was the ACC "Coach of the Year" in '87 & '90. Clemson has had 7 "All Americans" and 4 of them were recruited and played for him: Horace Grant, Elden Campbell, Dale Davis, & Sharone Wright. He took us to 3 NCAA Tourneys, and in 1990 we were 1 second and a Tate George miracle away from "The Elite 8".

Our mistake in that game was not guarding the guy inbounding the ball, especially with one of our bigs, but it was still a miracle play that lost us that game!

His 614 victories rank him 50th on the list of all-time career coaching victories in Division 1 basketball. He is the winningest head coach at Clemson and South Alabama, and second-winningest coach at Auburn.

He was national coach of the year in 1999 at Auburn and they won 29 games and won Auburn's first SEC championship in 40 years.

At South Alabama his teams won Sun Belt Conference regular-season championships in 1979, 1980 and 1981.

Anyone that says he can't coach is crazy! That man has a VERY impressive resume and was a GREAT ambassador for Clemson!

Elden Campbell was ALL OVER the guy inbounding the ball

Jun 10, 2011, 8:25 AM

You need to go back and actually watch the play instead of shooting from the hip with analysis.

There was absolutely no defensive mistake made on that play.

It was simply a once in a lifetime throw, catch, and shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCwLAizD1w

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Elden Campbell was ALL OVER the guy inbounding the ball

Jun 10, 2011, 9:13 AM

He still didn't get the ball off in time. Total ripoff

No arguement from me on that point ...***

Jun 10, 2011, 9:59 AM

he once told me in person

Jun 10, 2011, 8:33 AM [ in reply to People forget that Cliff is the most successful coach in CU ]

"I love beach music"

He always has and he always will ...***

Jun 10, 2011, 8:51 AM

Dude, you can't reason with a coot.***

Jun 10, 2011, 8:12 AM [ in reply to It's a calculated move by Brownell ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

We play a tougher OOC than most "BCS" conference schools.

Jun 10, 2011, 12:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Coastal Carolina to face Clemson next three years ]

Yet tools like you spout off like you actually have a clue.

Take a breath, gather your feathers, and try to actually find something to complain about before you write something next time.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Let me give you a pulse, bro. CLEAR!

Jun 10, 2011, 8:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Coastal Carolina to face Clemson next three years ]

He has a pulse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Jun 10, 2011, 7:51 AM

Not a great coach at all. I take it you didn't watch most of the UCONN game that led up to Tate George's miracle shot. Cliff stood on the sidelines with his hands on his hips, and basically watched Derrick Forrest turn the ball over time after time as he tried to dribble through triple teams in the second half. A church league coach would have put a stop to that.

As far as his recent success at CCU, it had little to do with his coaching abilities. Cliff proved at Clemson that when he got in a pinch he could find a way to bring some talent in and save his job. Cliff went way out on a limb down in Conway and it bit him by recruiting some very questionable characters. Many down there want him fired, but with them moving into a new arena the administration doesnt want a coaching search right now.

I suppose Cliff can be considered a decent coach because he has been around a long time. But being consistent has never been a word that described his skills. And his being at CCU says a lot, as I am sure that is not where he saw his career ending up. Bottom line is that with the basketball histories of both schools at the time he was there, it takes a heck of a bad job to get fired by both Clemson and Auburn.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic