Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Observations from the Orange and White game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Apr 9, 2011, 11:08 PM

David Hood's observations from the sidelines of the spring game on the Clemson running game, the quarterbacks, Corey Crawford, and more. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Observations from the Orange and White game

Apr 9, 2011, 11:35 PM

Got chills seeing how fast the offense went. And to think they could and will possibly go faster in the fall is scary.Fast pace is good but dont go so fast you can not execute at that rate of speed is my only concern. Look out ACC/Entire Nation, Tiger Nation making a statement in 11.

I worry about the fast paced offense. Gimmicky offenses

Apr 10, 2011, 8:08 PM

give me pause. I guess I just want to get it done with power, execution, speed, & dominance.

Why do you think our new offense won't incorporate power,

Apr 11, 2011, 3:53 PM

speed, execution or dominance?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boyd

Apr 9, 2011, 11:48 PM

"Hopefully those new guys will come in with a fire in their bellies and show us they want to play,” he said. “I can't wait to see how this offense plays when we have everybody here.”

Maybe this comment will fire up some of these guys that's been at Clemson for several years now. Some of these receivers still aren't cutting it. I'll be shocked if there aren't at least 2 freshman receivers starting by seasons end.

Re: Boyd

Apr 11, 2011, 10:25 AM

You guys on this Board are constantly Scapegoating the players, when the only constant is the Poor Coaching that has failed to develop the talent on the roster. Bryce Mcneal is a talented kid but he's regressing; it's not because of a lack of Talent. When the new kids come in this summer the Coaches won't have an excuse; they'll be exposed! Oh it will be they're only Freshman. Call it like it is POOR WR COACHING!!!!!!!!!!

offense receiving

Apr 10, 2011, 8:15 AM

Not impressed with Joe Craig. I didn't see flashes of anything from him at the Spring Game. Dwayne Allen had a drop, which was kind of frustrating. As a TE, he may be one of our best receivers this year.

Joe Craig?

Apr 10, 2011, 8:40 PM

Really, because I noticed him open on several plays. I was worried that both Boyd and Stoudt would only look to the side of the field they rolled to. Joe Craig laid out a line backer and then didn't see much time after that; however, before that play he was open often.

Apr 10, 2011, 8:34 AM

Sounds like if the Tigers were to play today that opposing defenses would load the box and shut down the run. When CDS say that he needs the incoming fresh. receivers to produce is not a good thing.

Apr 11, 2011, 9:45 AM

After watching that game, if you fill up the box you will get beat over the top. Yes we looked suspect at times throwing the ball but most of the time the DBs were waiting on the pass. Most of the passes were not missing wide open receivers they were just out of reach of players who were in tight coverage. If you drop men into the box and all the receivers are one on one it would be ugly. The running game was good because no one can cheat into the box with this spread.

null

There must be some magic in that #93 jersey***

Apr 10, 2011, 9:27 AM

1000th take of Spring Football

Apr 10, 2011, 11:08 AM

Ok folks,I realize you've read about 1000 different versions of how spring football is going.So I guess heres the 1001th.
1st off,it starts with Tajh Boyd.And probably just like me, you've watched a 1000 youtube videos on some of the practices.Oh how the Qbs looked so good,oh how they're throwing the ball well...cept!!** thing is; you're mostly seeing QB,WR,DB drills/some 7 on 7.Anyone is going look good in those drills.But when you put it all together,with the defense,the o-line,pass rush etc..things begin to change quite quickly.And those of you,like me,who were at the Spring game saw that 1st hand.
If we had a game today,we would simply be in alot of HURT.None,none of our QBs are ready to lead this offense.And frankly,theres not a dimes worth of difference between Boyd and Stoudt,bottom line.I suspect this is Boyd's team (for now)-But ohhh how quicly and easily I think that could change.Yes,Stoudt is 2nd team,but in my mind,by the smallest of margin.You're looking at a 3rd year guy vs 2 1st year guys who SHOULD still be in highschool,really.
NEXT UP,the wide receivers...I really like the showing of Jaron Brown and Nuke Hopkins,both are ready to go in my mind.After that...bring on the new guys(Watkins,Bryant,Peake and Seckinger)The dark horse here is Brandon Ford,look out!! ;)
The Runningbacks,while NOT GREAT...they looked alot better than I would had thought.I expect them to be alot better than most expected,especially Howard.
On Defense,you've heard it a million times so far I guess.Corey Crawford=yes...he looks great.Our OL had no answer for him.He will push Branch and Goodman for PT.As well,Rennie Moore is a beast.
For me..our DBs look alittle suspect,but I think adding Breedland and Robinson(Peters)-we'll be fine.

Anyways,just my take...I guess bring on the smart arses.

I actually liked how the DBs looked

Apr 10, 2011, 12:21 PM

If I recall it correctly, there were very pass interference calls against them, a few ints and plenty of pass breakups

well actually...

Apr 10, 2011, 4:24 PM

you can ask everyone in our area(where we sat). They seem to be saying the same type things. How receivers were constantly open,and our Qbs couldn't seem to find them and make the throws.I think that had alot to do with it.Just my take.

I agree, I don't think the secondary has been tested much

Apr 10, 2011, 8:42 PM

by our passing game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1000th take of Spring Football

Apr 10, 2011, 12:26 PM [ in reply to 1000th take of Spring Football ]

This is spot on to how I felt about your spring game.

Boyd/Stoudt, Simmons/Whitehurst.*

Apr 10, 2011, 1:08 PM [ in reply to 1000th take of Spring Football ]

nm

Stoudt/Whitehurst = immobile passer = bad-fit-for-Morris O***

Apr 10, 2011, 2:49 PM

That is the same logic many used to champion Proctor

Apr 10, 2011, 4:31 PM

and we KNOW how that turned out...I'm thinking Morris is capable of adapting his scheme to the better QB...

Re: Stoudt/Whitehurst = immobile passer = bad-fit-for-Morris O***

Apr 11, 2011, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Stoudt/Whitehurst = immobile passer = bad-fit-for-Morris O*** ]

Whitehurst had pretty decent mobility in fact I think he ran like a 4.55 at the combine Stoudt I am not sure about though.

I said that back in Feb--LMBO***

Apr 10, 2011, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Boyd/Stoudt, Simmons/Whitehurst.* ]

I knew QB might be an issue. Unfortunate that the

Apr 10, 2011, 8:15 PM [ in reply to 1000th take of Spring Football ]

the naturally talented one we had won't be back, regardless of what some idiots said, but that's old news now.

I think they will get better with time & new system, but that is always the problem. Everybody expects immediate results, always.

Re: I knew QB might be an issue. Unfortunate that the

Apr 11, 2011, 2:28 AM

If anyone really believes that the the spring game is a tell tell sign of our season then we may as well throw in the towel now we have no chance to beat Troy let alone have a successful season.

I for one was pleased with the QB overall. With us playing split squads on the offensive lines the protection was not the greatest in the world yet our turnovers were minimal and our QB's played with great poise considering the pressure. All of you that doubt Tajh, like I have said in previous posts he hears the doubters and he feeds off it. This young man is a winner and a leader and when this season is over you will not have any memories of last year.

The running backs were impressive and I have all the confidence in the world that by game time we will be 4 deep at running back. I know the coach, a proven winner at everything he has taken on, and already he has all of the RB's playing with a sense of urgency.

Now where the games are ultimately won and loss. THE OL and THE DL. Both showed flashes of dominance but we have to acquire depth at these positions. The starting 4 on defense is formidable, the starting 5 on offense it has the looks to be very good. The big concern is with the pace our offense is rolling at we have to have someone to spell someone else here and there just to overcome fatigue. Talking with Coach Caldwell he is sure we got the talent to develop depth and he assures me some will step up come Sept.

My Evaluation:

Offensively: we are going to be very difficult to stop and should be able to score. We have plenty of weapons and capable players at every position. It is going to be very fun and remember relatively young!

Defensively: We are going to be very fast and very young. The first 2 games will be perfect to get a feel with all the new starters to mainly get over the adrenaline and be able to play football. I feel like we will go thru some growing pains especially early with our schedule but by the end of the season we will be very good. If we can stay injury free early and develop depth this team could be very very good.

I for one cant wait for the season to start and I know an ACC Championship is there for our guys to go get it, Hard Work = Champions.

GO Tigers!!!!

Re: I knew QB might be an issue. Unfortunate that the

Apr 11, 2011, 9:19 AM

Well, that certainly is the kool-aid approach. I don't disagree with any of your enthusiasm, but I'm trying not to get my expectations up as high as last season. We'll see when allbarn comes to the valley. Until then, I'm hopeful, but cautiously optimistic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

If that natural talent could execute he would have come back***

Apr 11, 2011, 3:56 PM [ in reply to I knew QB might be an issue. Unfortunate that the ]

Observations from the Orange and White game Kicking Game

Apr 11, 2011, 9:03 AM

While I could not attend it appears we again can hold our breath this coming seasonwhen we move into our kicking game. 50+ yard average was great to see in punting the ball and while catman's miss was from over 50 yds it is still a miss. Dabo's comment about Spencer Benton's leg being a cannon and can be good from 60 yards shows where Dabo's thoughts are so expect Benton to be called on in 50 plus yard attempts. Saw no comments about the long snapper from anyone so far.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Corey Crawford

Apr 11, 2011, 9:11 AM

I love what I am hearing about this kid. Work ethic, respect for the coaching staff and what he is learning- very impressive. But something I really enjoy hearing is how he, and also a bunch of the other new guys, genuinely "care" about the direction the program is heading...I am hearing this word from them alot and I like it. Good things are coming.

Just say it - We're not good - This will be Dabos last year***

Apr 11, 2011, 9:34 AM

Re: Just say it -OK - glass is half full not half empty

Apr 11, 2011, 10:41 AM

You can chose to be destructive in your comments or encouraging with your comments. It is highly doubtful after all the changes Dabo is gone unless there is a Bowden type meltdown where players and coaches loose all respect. Dabo was able to recruit a new staff and a number of highly rated players. Now we have several more months to finish the initiation of both and implement a new system. Gone are the coaches that did not coach up wide receivers and running backs. That failed to develop the talent that is here. Yes we have another head coach in the making however he has chosen to listen evaluate and make changes. Time for us to support and watch and see if there is improvement. If the spring game is any indication then I believe we will not have a repeat of a loosing season.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Re: Just say it -OK - glass is half full not half empty

Apr 11, 2011, 10:52 AM

There was no change in the WR Coach and we're still seeing the Same Results: the talent on the roster not Being Developed!! Just be because the guy is a good recruiter, can't cover for his lack of coaching ability!!! Call it like it is; same WR Caoch, same #### Poor Results!!!!

For real...2 posts...shuthphockup!***

Apr 11, 2011, 9:55 PM

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic