Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Boyd not satisfied with spring, vows no days off
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Apr 11, 2011, 11:11 AM

The final seconds ticked off of the game clock at the end of Saturday's Orange and White Game in Death Valley, and Tiger quarterback Tajh Boyd had just one thing on his mind – that it was time to go to work. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Boyd not satisfied with spring, vows no days off

Apr 11, 2011, 11:14 AM

Boyd has a great work ethic. I think by the time fall gets here this offense is going to be looking good.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is fine but his main job is to throw it

Apr 11, 2011, 11:20 AM

What are the guys who have to catch it doing to improve? Hopefully they are as dedicated

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is fine but his main job is to throw it

Apr 11, 2011, 11:23 AM

If Boyd is going to be out there......he will have the recievers and other players from the team out there. CU hasnt had a qb that is this much of a leader since Whitehurst. And Boyd is also just a rs sophmore yet has the respect of everybodyy on the team. That is something that I think was lacking last year when Boyd worked his butt off all summer and all of a sudden KP comes back and Boyd takes a back seat. You have to believe that some of the players didnt like that KP didnt even have to practice to come in and be the starter.

I think you're spot on

Apr 11, 2011, 11:26 AM

that assessment and some of the quotes by the players as to last year seem to solidify that, in the least, there was a lack of leadership.

Re: I think you're spot on

Apr 11, 2011, 11:40 AM

You will always wonder if Pro Baseball didnt effect KP's final season in any way. I guess because of the results KP and team had last year you wonder when he made decision to return was he truly "All In". Now in favor of KP I must say there was alot of misques that where not KP's fault ie dropped passes, missed assignments. I often sometimes felt bad for KP because when the team made mistakes as KP did as well (poor decision to throw leading to INT) it was like man KP came back for this, help him (KP) out.
In closing one major factor about KP's final football season and everyone using his previous yr (with spiller and ford)to compare it to, lets all be honest Spiller was a dominate player WHO SINGLE HANDEDLY COULD CHANGE A GAME FOR THE BETTER TO EQUAL A WIN which in turn made mistakes more obvious the next yr (KP's final year) stand out w/o life saver (Spiller).

Parker

Apr 13, 2011, 11:10 AM

would have been an excellent QB if it wasn't for baseball.. i truly believe that. the scary thing is he was BETTER and more dedicated to baseball, and simply wanted to give football a shot - because he also enjoyed playing football - to see if he could succeed in that also.
let's not forget how he beat the pants off Korn to win the starting job. i mimic the coaches by saying this but he gave us the best chance to win the game although i would have liked for Boyd to have had more opportunities scattered in here or there. Parker did the best he could with no O-line to protect him and no receivers to throw to... oh, and no Ellington for almost the entire second half of the season

With that kind of vocal attitude...he is showing the desire

Apr 11, 2011, 5:30 PM [ in reply to This is fine but his main job is to throw it ]

to lead. But will they follow? The upperclassmen better get it together, because there are some incoming freshmen that are going to want their jobs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

rizzle.***

Apr 11, 2011, 11:17 AM

That last quote was pretty telling....

Apr 11, 2011, 11:18 AM

I hope Dabo and the rest of the coaching staff have the same fire and can motivate most the players to feel the same as Boyd.

Re: Dabo and the rest of the staff ???

Apr 11, 2011, 11:36 AM

How about the 4 guys that threw the ball Saturday...

IF you go 19-61 passing, and I dont care what the situation, game, practice, heck tossing the ball while tailgating, you NEED to either decicate yourself or see an eye Doctor. I realize there are 4 1/2 months to go, but 42 out of 61 were caught by the grass!

No wonder the Kelly kid had such a good visit!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's my point

Apr 11, 2011, 12:24 PM

I think in the past we've relied on the kids to motivate themselves in the off-season. The coaches need to instill that in all the players.

A lot of the passes were on the money but...

Apr 11, 2011, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo and the rest of the staff ??? ]

the defense was in position and got a hand on the ball. Its hard going against a defense who knows your plays and can cheat and overplay to get in position. You also had the teams split up with 1,2, and 3rd stringers mixed together. Its hard to get any kind of consistency going. We will be fine in the fall.

I'm impressed with his dedication

Apr 11, 2011, 11:20 AM

hopefully it pays off for him

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to love the kid's attitude

Apr 11, 2011, 11:23 AM

He seems hungry to get better, and I believe that will pay off. He has the skills. I think when he gets all his weapons this summer we'll see a vastly improved QB. Lack of separation was still an issue Saturday for most of our wideouts. Watkins, Peake and Bryant will help that emmensely. And when Ellington and Bellamy begin taking snaps, the pieces will be there for a prolific offense.

Re: You have to love the kid's attitude

Apr 11, 2011, 11:41 AM

I for one am really impressed with Boyd's ability to rally the team and motivate himself as only a RS Sophmore! I really think he can be the future of the program if he sticks with this attitude. Go Tigers!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2011, 11:53 AM

That is why we can ill-afford to question/degrade him right now.. the worst thing we as fans could do is put doubt into a QB with this kind of leadership ability and willingness to improve upon himself. That is one of the so called "intangibles" that you don't see every year from every player, and it most certainly will translate to the rest of the team. It's a contagious attitude - now we as fans must catch it too. The coaches have lit the fire, Boyd is adding bigger branches, and we must be the log that burns all night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"There's something in these hills and I suspect that's what it is - the ability of an institution through the unending dedication and greatness of its people - its administration, its faculty, its staff, its students and alumni - to impart to all it touches a respect, an admiration, an affection that stands firm in disquieting times when things around it give impressions of coming unglued." - Joe Sherman '34

Apr 11, 2011, 3:17 PM

I agree that he is earning the respect of the Coaches and Teammates by work ethic, and that should satisfy the fans till the snaps really count, but trust me there are many many fans out there that think Tajh is not very good and will not even be starting by seasons end. Trust me he hears it and is aware of this contingent and it is the fuel that drives him to the film room to the practice field, he has been told since this time last season he was no KP, he was not good enough to lead this team, ect. He went to work then to prove everyone wrong with the thinking that it was going to be his team. Then it was washed away with the return and He accepted the setback with dignity and grace, but if you think it did not rekindle the fire you would be sadly mistaken. This young man I dare say is Tebo-esque when it comes to work and leadership by example. I for one am D### Proud of him!!!

Apr 11, 2011, 12:03 PM [ in reply to You have to love the kid's attitude ]

I noticed the lack of separation too. However, do you think some of that was due to the fact that the defense knew what was coming? I mean they have practiced against these same routes for the past 3 weeks.

Apr 11, 2011, 12:17 PM

Also to add to that. What we saw Sat was likely 10-15% of the play book and the plays that the offense has run the most in the Spring. That means the defense has also seen these plays the most in practice. If we were using 60% of the offense that Morris says he has installed I am sure it would be much more difficult for the defense.

null

You have to think that Morris really didn't show any of his

Apr 11, 2011, 4:58 PM [ in reply to You have to love the kid's attitude ]

O

I expect to see Deihl get some carries and some stuff thrown his way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow! what a guy! he's a real tiger!***

Apr 11, 2011, 12:07 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Good for him. He shouldn't be satisfied...

Apr 11, 2011, 12:59 PM

His running has vastly improved, but his passing was not good at the spring game. Some of that could have been the orange team receivers (not sure)

I saw a lot of PBUs (no separation) and some dropped

Apr 11, 2011, 1:27 PM

passes. Some of it was accuracy and comfort with the new system as well. Boyd needs to improve there. Running was nice to see and will add a new and dangerous part to our offense.

Apr 11, 2011, 1:31 PM

“The difference between certain teams – who all have talent – is the small stuff. There will be no days off. None."

“I am going to be constantly in the film room and constantly on the field. There is not going to be any sitting back. If we sit back and eat cake all summer, then we are going to be subpar."

-- Hey Garcia, sit down and bring a pencil/pad. Today your teacher will be a much younger and much hungrier Tajh Boyd.

Apr 11, 2011, 5:36 PM

Of course he is hungrier.....all that running around and no eating cake

Apr 11, 2011, 1:48 PM

“I think we did a lot of good things this spring, and now I can’t wait to get kicked off this summer,” he said after the game.

Hmmmm... I think Garcia said the same thing. I guess he meant it in a different way though.

Apr 11, 2011, 1:51 PM

LOL

Apr 11, 2011, 1:52 PM

Tajh will bring the hunger, leadership and work ethic.

Garcia will bring the beer.

Let's party.

Great work ethic. He's definately taken on a leadership role***

Apr 11, 2011, 2:08 PM

Excuses for Boyd's 33%? O&W 2010: KP was 47%, Boyd 32%.

Apr 11, 2011, 4:13 PM

I'm wondering if Boyd is much of a passer. Lots of people here are making excuses that spring game peculiarities are to blame for Boyd's horribly low 33% completion rate (and maybe that's true), but looking at the last two spring games, the other QBs did much better.

Spring game 2010: KP hit 47%, and Boyd hit 32%.
Spring game 2009: KP hit 62%, and Korn hit 48%.

2010 Game Summary: http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041010aab.html

2009 Game Summary:
http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2010/04/10/kyle-parker-leads-orange/

It would be interesting to re-watch the spring game and see how many of each QB's passes fell into which of the following categories.
1) On-target, completed.
2) Off-target, completed.
3) On-target, dropped.
4) On-target, broken up or tipped.
5) Thrown away intentionally.

Re: Excuses for Boyd's 33%? O&W 2010: KP was 47%, Boyd 32%.

Apr 11, 2011, 4:33 PM

One thing to remember when it comes to spring practice:

The coaches dictate what they want to see. The play calling can benefit the defense and the offense, and depending on personnel in the game at the time the coaches know what they are trying to evaluate from the film. They set up players for failure at times to see how they respond and see how they adapt. If they wanted Tajh top be a 75% QB Sat then the play calling would have dictated that. Let us not forget that the coaches all admitted that the playcalling would be extremely vanilla and that we are also having to develop some depth at DB and DL as well. Some of what we seen sat was as much for them top be successful as for Tajh and the QB's

Apr 11, 2011, 4:50 PM

i thought primary receivers not open very much. no time to read progressions. i hope offensive line works all summer too.

Apr 11, 2011, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Excuses for Boyd's 33%? O&W 2010: KP was 47%, Boyd 32%. ]

Who invited the wet blanket? :)

Dont confused people with facts....it will get UGLY very fast!

Apr 11, 2011, 8:06 PM

I'm totally thrilled about Boyd's TIGER attitude. I just love it. Boyd is still slow to make his reads and does not hit his targets. PLAIN AND ### SIMPLE. I'm not really one to blow smoke up someone's #### in hopes that they can suddenly play football. IMO - Boyd had better get better - SOON - or Stoudt will take over by the 4th game, and my guess is he will never look back. JMO.

Fire away - but I don't buy the fluff. When Dabo was excited about Boyd going 8-16 in one of the scrimmages, I was NOT. Sorry - but 50% doesn't make me jump for joy. Maybe inhale every time the ball goes in the air - but not exhale until it hits the turf or an ORANGE uni tucks it in.

I don't mean to be so negative - but can we wait until somebody actually looks great before we get too emotional about it all. I love the TIGERS and hope we win every dadburn game - but I'm not seeing it yet.

Having said all the negative - I really still think we didn't see crap on Saturday, and the season will be way better. I'm thinking I'd better go ahead and start complaining NOW about how it's impossible to get tickets rather than wait until we kick Auburn's butt. :) Just wait. It's gonna happen. lol

Apr 11, 2011, 9:51 PM

sic um streak. go home coot.

wow, i continue to impressed with Boyd

Apr 13, 2011, 11:00 AM

he's got all the leadership qualities in the world. and i'm glad he has officially been given the reigns to this team. we'll see where he's at talent-wise come fall, but for now i'm extremely satisfied with his work ethic and attitude - that alone will yeild success.

sorry for my typos... continue to BE impressed

Apr 13, 2011, 11:21 AM

and it's 'yield' not 'yeild'

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic