Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's Enforcement of Tiger Paw Trademark
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Clemson's Enforcement of Tiger Paw Trademark

Mar 21, 2011, 8:58 PM

Can anyone explain why Clemson does not or can not enforce prevent high schools and colleges (i.e., Auburn) from using the Tiger Paw? FSU is trying to protect their trademark. why can't we? The paw gets watered down as our differentiation when everybody and their brother uses it!

http://www.ajc.com/news/fsu-lawsuit-forces-metro-881034.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only part of the Tiger Paw that's trademarked...

Mar 21, 2011, 9:01 PM

is the "hook" in the big pad. No one can use THAT version of the paw. Missouri's paw is straight up and down (not angled to 1:00) and doesn't have the hook. I'm not up on EVERY high school in the country.

Penn State says hello

Mar 22, 2011, 9:03 AM

I've had Penn State alum tell me that Clemson sued PSU over their paw logo and thats why their paw has 5 pads

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

I don't have any problem with high schools, but it really

Mar 21, 2011, 9:02 PM

ticks me off when I pull in a gas station and see an Auburn car with a paw almost identical to ours on the tailgate. If Sout Cal can restrict South Carolina from using interlocking SC's , no doubt we can stop this. If we had anyone with some cahonies in charge.

I think the angled paw was trademarked under Ford...

Mar 21, 2011, 9:09 PM

other than that, it is just a tiger paw. Doubt a natural occurring animal imprint can be trademarked.

Ok coot. this is a conversation between Clemson fans. Bye.***

Mar 21, 2011, 9:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Ok coot. this is a conversation between Clemson fans. Bye.***

Mar 21, 2011, 9:36 PM

not backing up coots by any means, but he does have a point, im sure we arnt the first school to use a tiger paw, its not a very rare team name to be the tigers. that being said i can see how we could trademark the 1:00 thing, and the hook, but you cant take away a tiger paw from american sports.

I'm sure we are

Mar 21, 2011, 9:41 PM

The Tiger Paw logo was introduced at a press conference on July 21, 1970, it was created by John Antonio and developed by Helen Weaver of Henderson Advertising in Greenville, South Carolina, from a mold of a Bengal Tiger in the St. Louis Zoo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do not think it was trademarked until early 80's***

Mar 21, 2011, 9:51 PM

ad agencies dont crap without trademarking it

Mar 22, 2011, 1:06 PM

it is their product. If they don't trademark it, anyone can make money off of it.

Re: I'm sure we are

Mar 21, 2011, 9:54 PM [ in reply to I'm sure we are ]

i dont mean the first to use that exact tiger paw, i mean just a generic paw in general. if every school trademarks their logo, there wouldnt be very many logos for new schools to use, or the schools that already use those logos to change to. besides, how would you go enforcing that, esp. with high schools. would you hire people to go around the country or look up random schools on the internet to find other schools that use them?

Actually we are. So you're a coot backer and you're

Mar 21, 2011, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Ok coot. this is a conversation between Clemson fans. Bye.*** ]

wrong.

Re: Actually we are. So you're a coot backer and you're

Mar 21, 2011, 10:56 PM

lol if you say im a coot backer just because i didnt bash him, then so be it. also, ill just be wrong then, its just a forum, its where opinions are posted. i didnt know opinions could be wrong

just giving you some information, appears it was needed***

Mar 21, 2011, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Ok coot. this is a conversation between Clemson fans. Bye.*** ]

That's beside the point. You're a coot.

Mar 21, 2011, 10:41 PM

You don't belong here. And chances are I would never ask you or any chicken fan anything.

and you are "that guy", do not worry about me...

Mar 21, 2011, 11:40 PM

just ignore my posts

What cesspool did you roll out of coot ?

Mar 22, 2011, 12:48 AM

Must be wonderful for the people around you to have a certified authentic know it all.

You don't ####### know me.

Mar 22, 2011, 8:17 AM [ in reply to and you are "that guy", do not worry about me... ]

But I have a pretty good idea about you.

I know you, you are the drummer boy in picture***

Mar 22, 2011, 10:32 AM

Easy on the coot, if anybody knows about trademark

Mar 21, 2011, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Ok coot. this is a conversation between Clemson fans. Bye.*** ]

infringement, it's the Chickens.

http://tacticalip.com/2010/01/25/southern-cal-beats-up-on-south-carolina-in-a-trademark-dispute/

Re: I think the angled paw was trademarked under Ford...

Mar 21, 2011, 9:38 PM [ in reply to I think the angled paw was trademarked under Ford... ]

The Tiger Paw that is used by many schools is in fact TRADEMARKED TO CLEMSON UNIVERSITY

Your reasoning is very sound. If you can't trademark an animal....you can't trademark a person (seminole indian). Its not the animal you are trademarking. It is the logo.

if someone uses a symbol that has a hook (from a scar of

Mar 21, 2011, 9:49 PM

tiger) and has the paw print angled, then I agree that the trademark has been infringed. If they simply have a paw print, that is not an infringement on the trademark.

Mar 21, 2011, 10:48 PM [ in reply to I think the angled paw was trademarked under Ford... ]

Wrong....Hootie Ingram had idea and design, a gentleman at Henderson actually drew it up to where the big "toe" pointed to 1 as most of the games were at 1 regardless - and added the little siggle at the bottom right of the paw. Other schools have a paw but can not use the TigerPaw. It is totally Clemson's

I have an original drawing of the Paw and signed by the guy that did it. Ford had nothing to do with it. It was all Hootie's idea.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2011, 9:24 AM [ in reply to I think the angled paw was trademarked under Ford... ]

Go away coot you have no clue

It's the hook

I have seen Auburn, LSU and Ketucky use our tiger paw.

Mar 21, 2011, 9:31 PM [ in reply to I don't have any problem with high schools, but it really ]

Yes, Kentucky.

It's probably a company, comparable to Tiger Town Graphics, that prints these decals out for these schools.

I agree, Clemson should do something about it.

Re: I have seen Auburn, LSU and Ketucky use our tiger paw.

Mar 21, 2011, 10:48 PM

I don't know how long these other schools have been using it (seems like a while) but if enough schools use it for long enough, it because common, and you can lose a lot of your rights on it.. all the more reason to take action ASAP if its not too late already

Hootie Ingram introduced the Tiger Paw Emblem

Mar 21, 2011, 11:05 PM

At the time I thought that he had it copyrighted. I know I was told many times that it was copyrighted.

The Clemson Paw is a registered trademark

Mar 21, 2011, 11:34 PM

the hook, and the 1 o'clock setting....

yes it is difficult to police.....

if it is used by a high school it is done so with our permission....mainly because if a high school is using it..then it is promoting our paw...

Auburn, Kentucky and other schools have used the paw and tried not to copy us.....but indeed have.....like right in the middle of Toomer's Corner is a huge paw....at AU....

but to put it on a helmet or licensed apparel is a violation of law and if a company is caught they do pay fines....we would of course never know if this has happened.....mainly because I am sure this is dealt with in terms of lawyers, and fines are paid within the state that the violation would occur.....if happens all the apparel or nicknack has to be destroyed....supposedly

Message was edited by: bengalbabe®

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was coach when it was developed for logo use

Mar 21, 2011, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Hootie Ingram introduced the Tiger Paw Emblem ]

He didn't have anything to do with it. Only with killing running down the hill

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I read that it was developed by an advertising

Mar 22, 2011, 10:20 AM

firm somewhere, possibly an Atlanta firm. I've never heard that a coach thought of or developed the idea.

Re: Yes, I read that it was developed by an advertising

Mar 22, 2011, 2:30 PM

Our paw was created by an agency in Greenville but I had a man who was in Army Air Force either in ww2 or korean war some air group had a paw on their plabnes. This was told to me in 80s and I cannot say if true or not.

look at this

Mar 22, 2011, 3:07 AM

bullcrap

Re: look at this

Mar 22, 2011, 3:08 AM

Mar 22, 2011, 3:09 AM [ in reply to look at this ]

Mar 22, 2011, 3:10 AM [ in reply to look at this ]

Mar 22, 2011, 8:10 AM

There is no likelihood of confusion between any of those and Clemson's paw. The only one that is orange is Auburn's, and it clearly says "AU." The others are different colors and aren't at 1 p.m.

The Southern Cal decision was a bad one and sets a bad precedent. Take a look at Tennessee's and Texas's T...they look the same. Take a look at Alabama and the Braves and Arkansas's "A"...they look the same. All of a sudden, one of them tries to claim that they should have IP rights to it? That's crazy.

It's dumb to try and claim IP rights to something that really isn't that original.

Mar 22, 2011, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: look at this ]

None of what you listed were Clemson Tiger Paws.

This is our logo. Notice the Registered symbol that is included.

You will also notice if you look around that almost any paw angled at 1:00 also includes this Registered Trademark logo. Anyone can have a Tiger Paw but it would be infringement to copy the 1:00 tilt.

I know the hook is what makes Clemson's Tiger Paw unique but I am not sure it is trademarked the same as the 1:00 tilt. It would be hard to tell because most other tiger paw logos do not include the hook and Clemson would not use the hook without also tilting it to 1:00.

null

how many sports logos are used for 1 team

Mar 22, 2011, 9:56 AM

i think every nfl logo is used somewhere for a high school team, just different colors. even the Georgia "G" is from my beloved Packers. I went to York (SC) and we are the Cougars, and one of our logos was a paw print. It was always white, straight up and down, and no hook.

every logo can't be trademarked, there's only so many you can use for sports teams.

Trademark Registration

Mar 22, 2011, 1:09 PM

Here is a link to the trademark. You can also access the electronically available registration and affidavit of use documents. The registration is not limited to the 1 o'clock tilt, but would require the j hook and other print details unless there would be likelihood of confusion.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=73394971

Re: Trademark Registration

Mar 22, 2011, 1:14 PM

Interesting. The trademark is not specific to the angle.

Re: Clemson's Enforcement of Tiger Paw Trademark

Mar 22, 2011, 2:09 PM

Finally someone posts something with actual substance! So it appears we have the trademark only on that specific paw. Not the angle, and not the tiger paw in general.

As others have mentioned earlier in the thread, there's no way to trademark an animal or animal part, so there's no way we could ever prevent others from using a paw. We weren't the first team to use the "Tiger" name, and we certainly won't be the last. If people were able to trademark something like a paw, others schools probably would have beaten Clemson to it.

Florida State may have a claim because the Seminoles are a very small group and they seem to have a relationship with the university (which is why they were allowed to keep their mascot in that absurd ruling a couple years ago). Who knows if they will be successful.

As a side note: Is there any chance some of you can cool it on calling everyone who says something you don't like a "coot". It sounds f'ing retarded. If you actually went to Clemson, act like it. If you didn't, then pretend you did or at least stop talking so you don't tarnish Clemson's reputation as a school with good academics.

The only image that comes to mind when I see someone type "yer a dang coot!" is some toothless hick living in a trailer, wearing overalls and a Confederate Flag trucker hat.

Have some pride.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic