Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Swinney on 2011 football schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Feb 14, 2011, 6:10 PM

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney talks about the 2011 Clemson football schedule which he calls the most challenging schedule since he has been at Clemson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BULL$HIT cupcake; UNC get 12 days to prepare for VT,

Feb 14, 2011, 6:43 PM

then 9 days off for their final game against Duke at home.

James Madison, Rutgers, Virginia, & East Carolina of their first 5.

Ridiculous.

9/3/2011 UNC vs. James Madison
9/10/2011 UNC vs. Rutgers
9/17/2011 UNC vs. Virginia
9/24/2011 UNC @ Georgia Tech
10/1/2011 UNC @ East Carolina
10/8/2011 UNC vs. Louisville
10/15/2011 UNC vs. Miami
10/22/2011 UNC @ Clemson
10/29/2011 UNC vs. Wake Forest
11/5/2011 UNC @ NC State
11/17/2011 UNC @ Virginia Tech
Thursday Night
11/26/2011 UNC vs. Duke

I'm no UNC fan

Feb 14, 2011, 6:47 PM

But its hard to fault them for the timing around the VT game. Often a team playing on a Thursday night game has a bye the previous week leading to 12 game lead time. And afterwards they always have 9 days until the next game unless they are playing on the next Thursday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm no UNC fan

Feb 14, 2011, 9:08 PM

We didn't in 2006 when we had to play GT (ranked in the top 15) on Saturday night, then play VT on Thursday night.

Often a team playing on a Thursday night game has a bye

Feb 14, 2011, 10:04 PM [ in reply to I'm no UNC fan ]

unless you are Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems that the more competitve teams end up with

Feb 16, 2011, 1:03 PM [ in reply to I'm no UNC fan ]

ridiculous schedules, while the favorites and the weaker teams get it a little easier. The problem with softening a schedule for one team in a conference is it tips the scales more in other teams schedules within the conference. Not only do we have an early lump of big games, but we end the season with two road games, with our open date only two weeks earlier before a home game.

Yes, but their schedule looks so easy in comparison. VT is

Feb 16, 2011, 1:19 PM [ in reply to I'm no UNC fan ]

going to be UNC's major competition in the coastal this year. That was just one point, look at how easy the first half of the schedule is, and then their conference schedule is nicely rotated and spaced out.

Now compare it to Miami, FSU, & Clemson's schedules for the past 8-10 years. & then everyone wonders why the more competitive ACC schools rarely represent the conference at the end of the year. 'Let's just pile the workload on,' then maybe they'll have an extra loss or two by the end of the season.

Unless you are Clemson and after playing

Feb 16, 2011, 1:54 PM [ in reply to I'm no UNC fan ]

the #13 team in the country at night in a high emotional game we have to then turn around and play another top 10 team on the road 5 days later in VATech. SEE 2006.

Agreed.***

Feb 17, 2011, 2:57 PM

Re: BULL$HIT cupcake; UNC get 12 days to prepare for VT,

Feb 14, 2011, 7:03 PM [ in reply to BULL$HIT cupcake; UNC get 12 days to prepare for VT, ]

It will be better to get Va tech early than late. They have a new QB.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct***

Feb 14, 2011, 8:17 PM

I say..Buckle your chinstraps and KICK some A$$

Feb 14, 2011, 9:25 PM

to be the best you have to Beat the BEST! early or late

Agree and that goes for FSU as well b/c they lose Ponder.

Feb 15, 2011, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: BULL$HIT cupcake; UNC get 12 days to prepare for VT, ]

Grnated that Manual does have some experience (as well as a victory against us) but cathcing them earlier is always better IMO.

Re: BULL$HIT cupcake; UNC get 12 days to prepare for VT,

Feb 15, 2011, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: BULL$HIT cupcake; UNC get 12 days to prepare for VT, ]

Yeah, and don't forget, Clemson has a new QB too, so it kinda offsets.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Re: Dabo Swinney on 2011 football schedule

Feb 14, 2011, 9:44 PM

The only way this can be considered a difficult schedule is because of the current state of our program. Troy, Wofford and Wake should be gimmes. Yes, I know Tray was in a bowl game but so were half the D1 programs. So, you have 3 wins built in. All you have to do to get to 8 wins is go 5 and 4 in the somewhat competitive games. 6 & 3 gets you 9 wins which should be very doable. It is not a difficult schedule.

Feb 14, 2011, 10:02 PM

You're a "Dan" fool.

Auburn, FSU, VaTech, and USC is not difficult?

Wofford runs that triple option, which we know we have trouble with.

Troy threw up some numbers. Catching us off-guard with the first game is possible.

Road games are a lot tougher this year. That offense better show up, along with that D.

Auburn, Fla St, and Va Tech all in a row

Feb 14, 2011, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Swinney on 2011 football schedule ]

is murderous by anybody's standards.

Auburn, Fla St, and Va Tech all in a row is ACC BS

Feb 14, 2011, 10:05 PM

SCREW YOU SWOFFORD

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburn, Fla St, and Va Tech all in a row is ACC BS

Feb 14, 2011, 10:09 PM

I agree, to be the best you have to beat the best. Just imagine if we win all those games. The rest of the season will seem like a cake walk, just don't tell the players that, they might get soft a game or two like they have been known to do.

over and under on the number of injuries after that 3 game

Feb 14, 2011, 10:15 PM

stretch.

Nothing wrong with playing the best, just break it up a little.

Re: Auburn, Fla St, and Va Tech all in a row is ACC BS

Feb 14, 2011, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Auburn, Fla St, and Va Tech all in a row is ACC BS ]

I'm with you, but of course Swofford didn't have anything to do with the Auburn game. We did that to ourselves (or Auburn did it to us). We should have played our SoCon game after Auburn and before the ACC schedule started.

Re: That is tough, someone in the ACC doesn't like Clemson***

Feb 14, 2011, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Auburn, Fla St, and Va Tech all in a row ]

Re: That is tough, someone in the ACC doesn't like Clemson***

Feb 15, 2011, 8:03 AM

Correction. Nobody in the ACC likes Clemson except Clemson. We just have to be a hard nosed and stubbon team and let that be motivation enough to get some revenge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2011, 2:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Swinney on 2011 football schedule ]

No, its not if you're not the one on that field....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be right about our current state, BUT

Feb 15, 2011, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Swinney on 2011 football schedule ]

how can you not consider this a tough schedule?
Our 2 cross division games are against teams that will vie for the coastal champion, along with GT being our cross divisional rival game. No Duke or UVa from the coastal this year.
Troy and Wofford should be gimmes, but tell me a single team that doesn't have those in their schedule.
We are playing 2 teams from the SEC that may likely be competing for their respective SEC divisions.

But it isn't a tough schedule

Feb 14, 2011, 10:39 PM

Given that we are fairly young at some key positions this schedule does not help in the least. This will be a tough stretch. We need to get 1 of the 3 instead of going 0-3 vs Auburn, Miami, and UNC last year.

Feb 14, 2011, 11:03 PM

I agree. I believe we will be fine...but maybe not where we would like next year...but the future looks even better right now.

Feb 15, 2011, 12:36 AM

Good thing we don't play in the SEC if we have a problem with this schedule

Cliffs Notes summary: WE GOT F'ING HOSED! Screw the ACC!***

Feb 15, 2011, 9:35 AM

Serious question, how'd we exactly get hosed by the ACC?

Feb 15, 2011, 10:40 AM

we are responsible for our OOC opponents

Just the luck of the draw that we get VT and UNC from the coastal this year

we don't have a string of road games in a row.

I think it's the order and the home/away rotations that are

Feb 17, 2011, 3:09 PM

kind of suspect. Our toughest conference opponents are all concentrated in a six week stretch. Then we get our open date before a home game against (drum roll) Wake Forest toward the end of the season, then we finish the season with two more "road games" against a division rival, & then our crappy in state rival.

Feb 15, 2011, 11:41 AM

To be the best, you got to beat the best.........I say bring it on........I am all in.........

Feb 15, 2011, 2:40 PM

quit bitchin and play

"We play a lot of horrible teams" would not go over well***

Feb 15, 2011, 2:41 PM

Feb 16, 2011, 10:32 AM

Troy - Win (1-0)
Wofford - Win (2-0)
Auburn - Toss up...I'll pick close loss here thanks to some ridiculous blown call that should be overturned but isn't (think Maryland TD catch that bounced off the ground) (2-1)
FSU - Toss up...home-field advantage Clemson...Win (3-1)
@ VT - Lose by a FG, but would rather play them early like this (3-2).
BC - Win, but too close for comfort...4-6 pts. (4-2)
By this point, we are either dead dogs with key players out with injuries or battle-tested warriors, so I'll be positive from this point on by picking the latter
@ Maryland - Win by double digits (5-2)
UNC - Close win - (6-2)
@ GT - haven't won @ GT since 2003, and with a D-line not as deep, letdown loss here...another bad holding call costs us another one (6-3)
Wake - Win by double digits (7-3)
@ NCST - Close Win (8-3)
@ SC - Toss up again? No...Lattimore is already out for the year with injury, and Spurrier swaps QB's Garcia and Shaw every other series, the Coots are a shadow of this past year's team, and the Tigers get revenge...Win (9-3)

...I hope I'm not dreaming about this last one.

Unfortunately, FSU only loses to Clemson and beats Miami, the only real test for them other than Clemson in the ACC schedule this year, and they win the Atlantic again despite losing to Clemson. We go to a respectable bowl, but fall short of our dreams again of winning the ACC....all because of another holding call.

Feb 16, 2011, 11:37 AM

This Season could be a blessing in disguise. I for one like the set up. We got a hungry QB ready to prove himself, who is also going to be loaded down with weapons this year at the WR position. We got our star RB (Andre Ellington) back healthy, with 2 red-shirts(both top running backs from Alabama) and another big time play maker in Bellamy backing him up. Our OL is returning all on the 2 deep but one starter and has 2 or 3 Red-Shirts and Spencer Region to fill the void (could possibly be the best OL in years) along with a hard nosed proven Coach in Robbie Caldwell. Defensively we should be looking similar to the 80's with quality veterans on the DL and a core of LB that potentially could be the best ever at Clemson. We return 7 players in the secondary (Adams,Hall,Brewer,Meeks,Sensabaugh,Brown,Lewis) that saw time last year with red-shirts Bashaud Breeland, Martin Jenkins, Gary Peters, and Darius Robinson to add depth. This Defense will be just as nasty if not even better than last year. We get our biggest games Early and most 3 out of 4 at home. With VT on the road but they tend to start slow. Win these games build momentum and we may be talking about a Magical season with a relatively young Team!!!!

Feb 17, 2011, 6:19 PM

LIke your attitude cause I see it the same way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KoolAid is certainly an appropriate name for you.***

Feb 17, 2011, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Swinney on 2011 football schedule ]

Over/under is 7 wins***

Feb 17, 2011, 11:54 AM

Re: Over/under is 7 wins***

Feb 17, 2011, 6:19 PM

under***

Feb 17, 2011, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Over/under is 7 wins*** ]

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic