Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
concerts at Charlie B's Outdoor Arena... early 70s
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 651

concerts at Charlie B's Outdoor Arena... early 70s

Feb 8, 2011, 8:34 AM

There were a few concerts at a place called Charlie B's Outdoor Arena. It was basically just a large field that was bowl-shaped with a big wooden stage at one end. I know it was somewhere in the Clemson/Seneca area, but that was a long time ago... and we were always blitzkrieg'd... so I'm fuzzy on the exact location. We were in high school at the time and drove over from Greenville, so I know the timeframe was roughly 1972-74.

These were all-day events with 5 or 6 bands, seems like they started around noon and lasted until after dark. It was totally an "outdoor music festival" atmosphere... people brought blankets, coolers, frisbees, dogs, etc. People walking around selling every drug you can imagine. Just a huge outdoor freak party with music... pretty crazy scene. LOL

I went to 2 or 3 of these concerts at Charlie B's, can't remember exactly. Only one ticket stub survived, I scanned it and posted it. Not sure why, but ZZ Top is not listed, and me and my buddies distinctly remember that the lil ol band from Texas was there... with Foghat, James Gang, Savoy Brown & Wet Willie.

Any other old farts out there go to Charlie B's back in the day?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I was over there then but never heard of the place

Feb 8, 2011, 8:37 AM

I've never even heard it mentioned.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Charlie B's Ranch ... Seneca (link)

Feb 8, 2011, 8:53 AM

Here's a (long) story on Charlie B's

http://musicouch.com/music-making/charlie-bs-ranch/

My personal favorite part ...

“There’s ######’ orange dots everywhere, man! All over the roads, and buildings and ####, just everywhere, you know?” At the moment, there were no orange dots to be seen, anywhere, so I asked him for a more detailed description.

“You know, f***in’ dots, man! Like circles, except the middle is filled in. Orange Dots! They were on the road, and on some signs, and everywhere.” He put up both hands in a bewildered gesture, removing them from the wheel to do so.

As I reached over to take the abandoned wheel, we passed a road that had a pattern of the dots running up it; one large dot, with three smaller ones adjacent at 10, 12, and 2 o’clock, respectively. They were spaced at regular intervals, and ran out of sight over the hill.

I was stumped. We passed another road, similarly decorated, and also spotted the dot pattern on random signs and buildings. We asked a local at a convenience store, who looked at us with thinly disguised surprise and contempt. “Them’s Tiger Paws! They mark the way to the stadium! Ain’t you never heard of the Clemson Tigers?” He cackled and spit, amazed that something so intrinsic to his little world was not of universal concern. We drove off laughing at him laughing at us. When cultures collide, we either laugh or fight.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Charlie B's Ranch Arena

Feb 8, 2011, 9:10 AM

That's what we called it. Saw Marshall Tucker, Black Oak Arkansas, and Goose Creek Symphony. When Goose Creek played, everyone got in circles and danced. It was wild! Charlie Stancil owned it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stancil also owned ...

Feb 8, 2011, 9:15 AM

"The Chicken Shack" ... a really popular live music and dance spot in Seneca where the Ingles is now located on 123. This was all thorugh the mid-late 60s. He opened the Ranch after he qwuit the Chicken Shack.

Re: Stancil also owned ...

Feb 8, 2011, 9:20 AM

I use to play at The Chicken Shack when I was in a band in high school.

Re: Charlie B's Ranch Arena

Feb 8, 2011, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Charlie B's Ranch Arena ]

OK, good stuff here. So a fella named Charlie Stancil who used to have a club in Seneca called the Chicken Shack, also put on the Charlie B's concerts. I'm guessing he owned the land or leased it for these concerts?

And where was it, exactly, anybody know? Seems like we took quite a few country roads to get there. Then again, maybe we were just cruising around getting toked up...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2011, 10:42 AM

Off of I-85 near Fairplay ...

Basically in the middle of nowhere.

Feb 8, 2011, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Charlie B's Ranch Arena ]

Off of I-85 near Hgy 59 around Fairplay, SC ...

Basically in the middle of nowhere.

Dec 13, 2011, 7:29 PM

Highway 59,snow creek community,close to Ralphs Trophy shop now days.Clemson dance orcda made it tough for him to book so they started a meat processing business on the enterance to the concert site.Charlie and wife Billie having health issues but still kicking up their heels.

Oct 19, 2012, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Charlie B's Ranch Arena ]

Charlie B's was off of Hiway 59 outta Seneca.

Re: Charlie B's Ranch ... Seneca (link)

Feb 8, 2011, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Charlie B's Ranch ... Seneca (link) ]

Man, that read really took me back. That really, really felt good, thanks man.

ha ha... good find

Feb 8, 2011, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Charlie B's Ranch ... Seneca (link) ]

I've done searches before and found almost nothing about Charlie B's. Which is surprising to me... these concerts were popular, there were always several carloads from my high school in Greenville that went. They were advertised on the radio, posters at record shops, etc. And I have to believe that a lot of CU students went as well. But I'll mention Charlie B's to people my age and it seems like nobody has ever heard of it. That's one reason I posted this on Tnet, to see if it rang a bell with anybody.

Agree with paros... that article sorta takes you back in time... good read.

Now that's memory lane @ it's best!!!!

Feb 9, 2011, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Charlie B's Ranch ... Seneca (link) ]

N/M

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for that***

Aug 13, 2012, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Charlie B's Ranch ... Seneca (link) ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: concerts at Charlie B's Outdoor Arena... early 70s

Feb 8, 2011, 9:07 AM

Yep...barely remember them too!! I was athere at theatr asmw one but I don't think ZZ Top was there that time. Came another event. Miracle we survived!!

GO TIGERS!

Feb 8, 2011, 2:33 PM

I can't be 100% positive about ZZ Top at this show, but this Foghat website says ZZ was there. Along with Bloodrock, who is also not listed on the stub. Who knows, man... all those Charlie B concerts sorta blend together in one hazy memory... LOL

http://www.foghat.com/concerts/tour73.htm

If it's the place I'm thinking of, then the big name acts

Feb 8, 2011, 9:25 AM

were pretty well done by the late 70s, but I'm pretty sure that's the place where I saw some shows with a bunch of regional/local bands on the bill. Seemed like the Plum Hollow band was there every time. Once after a show we rode back out there on a Sunday afternoon to take a friend back to where he left his car and we were told if we helped pick up, we could keep anything we found. The place looked like the last scene of the Woodstock movie, but we left there with about a dozen coolers.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it's the place I'm thinking of, then the big name acts

Feb 8, 2011, 10:39 AM

Yep, in fact, I think it must have shut down in the mid-70s. I started CU in '75 and never heard of another concert there, every one I remember was in high school.

And I also seem to recall there would be a couple of local bands before the big acts...

Feb 8, 2011, 9:50 AM

Yes I remember, not well but remember anyway. I remember Goose Creek Symphony performed on unicycles. We called it Charlie B's Ranch. In those days we had concerts aplenty, Little John was not my favorite venue but sufficed.

Feb 8, 2011, 1:07 PM

Someone asked about the land the concerts were on. It was Charlie's family land. He has since built a house to the left of the stage. His basement is decorated to look like the inside of the Chicken Shack, and has a lot of the old concert posters. A couple of his children also have houses in the vicinity.
The stage is still there, but obviously falling in.

hey, thanks for the info...

Feb 8, 2011, 2:38 PM

Sounds like you know the family and the exact location of the site. Is Charlie still alive? Can you give directions to where the concerts were held? I'm just curious...

Re: hey, thanks for the info...

Feb 9, 2011, 11:24 AM

Charlie is still alive. One of his grandsons is the same age as my son. I had to go pick up my son there after the high school graduation party Charlie's grandson threw on the concert grounds.
To get there, Hwy. 59 out of Seneca, or Hwy. 59 from I85 towards Seneca. From Seneca, take a right on Snow Creek Church Road, left on Snow Creek Road, left on Charlie B Farm Road.

excellent! thanks again***

Feb 9, 2011, 2:00 PM

I work in Seneca, so I'm gonna ride out there and see it.

Dec 12, 2011, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: hey, thanks for the info... ]

This is easily one of the most intriguing threads ever on TNet. I'm 43, and I've lived in the upstate my whole life. I can't believe I've never heard of this place. Awesome. Thanks, DSofTM, for sharing this, and I look forward to more info.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have never been to Charlie B's or even heard of it.....

Feb 8, 2011, 1:05 PM

but I was at Woodstock in 1969. Sounds kinda sorta similar but with a few hundred thousand less people and no rain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 8, 2011, 4:38 PM

great times and memories ! Any of you concert goers ever make it up to the Old Time Fiddler's Convention in NC ? Much more rain than Charlie's Concerts.

saw David Allan Coe there the same day

Feb 8, 2011, 7:42 PM

that Clemson lost to Boston College up there when Terrance Flagler fumbled. Don't know the year, but it should be easy to look up. I remember listening to the game as I was driving home . When Flagler fumbled, I slapped the inside of my windshield with the back of my hand and spider-webbed the windshield. Surprised the h*ll out of me.
Oh, yeah, they were selling draft beer in plastic gallon milk jugs....

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some other bands we saw there... I think

Feb 9, 2011, 1:48 PM

Fleetwood Mac, Marshall Tucker, Cactus, Goose Creek, Black Oak Arkansas... maybe Kansas? Doobie Bros? Not sure about Kansas or Doobies. Will check with my old HS buddies to see what they remember or if they have ticket stubs. No doubt about Fleetwood Mac, they were awesome...

Seems like the Doobies were playing somewhere in upstate SC every time you turned around, I saw them 5 or 6 times. And Wet Willie opened for them almost every time...

Well, you say you've got the blues
You've got holes in both your shoes... yeah
You're feeling alone and confused
You got to keep on smilin'
Just keep on smilin'

Feb 21, 2011, 11:43 PM

I played there when I was in Fresh Licks back then when ZZ Top, Wet Willie, Cactus, etc...played. We were the first band I think and the place went wild when we started playing...we were loud!
Thought those towers in front were going to come down. Everyone was on their feet...Awesome...Great moment and memories! Met a lot of cool people back then, Carmine Appice being one I will never forget.
Later, Ron Weaver, bass player, etc.

you were in Fresh Licks ??

Feb 27, 2011, 1:01 PM

Wow, a "small world" moment. I was very familiar with that band back in the day. Most of 'em went to my high school, I was at Carolina HS in Greenville from 1972-75. Marvin King played lead guitar, I think he was a SR when I was a FR. Knew his younger brothers very well, Don King was in my class, and Ron King was a year behind me. That was a family of musicians, their dad could play anything with strings...

The lead singer was named Roger, I think? I'd have to look him up in the yearbook. They played around town a lot back then at different bars and clubs. Played a time or two in the Carolina gym, maybe for a prom, can't remember. I do remember when they won the state Battle of the Bands at the old Memorial Auditorium, which was kind of a big deal.

Ron Weaver. Are you related to Kenny or Scott Weaver? They were in my class...

Feb 21, 2011, 11:44 PM

I played there when I was in Fresh Licks back then when ZZ Top, Wet Willie, Cactus, etc...played. We were the first band I think and the place went wild when we started playing...we were loud!
Thought those towers in front were going to come down. Everyone was on their feet...Awesome...Great moment and memories! Met a lot of cool people back then, Carmine Appice being one I will never forget.
Later, Ron Weaver, bass player, etc.

Feb 22, 2011, 12:06 AM

I may have some of the details wrong but we/ Fresh Licks played and I'll never forget that. Ron Weaver, bass player

Feb 22, 2011, 12:36 AM

The one thing that I remember was some freaky chick walking around in the crowd with a snake wrapped around herself. Yeah it was a great place and real good time. I was in High School at the time and about 10 of us went together a couple of times,but it seemed like everytime I turned around that chick with the snake was right next to me.

y

I don't remember the snake chick...

Feb 27, 2011, 12:36 PM

but have some other crazy stories to tell about Charlie B's when I get time. Plus I want to bounce my memories off a couple of my old buddies first, to make sure I've got it right, and to see if they can add more details.

I find this is true with a lot of my memories from the 70s... none of us remember everything, but all of us remember different bits and pieces. And when we get together, the total summary from all our memories is fairly complete and accurate... LOL

Feb 22, 2011, 1:43 AM

There was a place in myrtle beach in the late 70s ,off of hyw 17 across from pirate land camground.They always had some of those bands ya'll have been talking about.Anyone know what it was called,I was young just remember my brother and his pot head buddies talking about it.

Dec 12, 2011, 7:52 PM

I attended a concert or two at Charlie B's, and the timeframe was as you described (1972-74). One of the times I went, we were tear-gassed after an "under-cover" cop tried to arrest someone for drugs. Some of the crowd threw rocks at patrol cars parked on a hill, and they responded with the gas. This was sometime in 1973, I think.
Thanks for posting the ticket stub. Brings back a lot of memories.

Dec 12, 2011, 8:59 PM

Are you sure that wasn't Brandon Streeter's party at Daniel Square in '99?

Message was edited by: treeclimber®

Orangeetang - oh yeah, I remember the tear gas incident

Dec 13, 2011, 6:41 PM [ in reply to Re: concerts at Charlie B's Outdoor Arena... early 70s ]

That's one of those "other crazy stories" that I mentioned earlier, but never came back to tell. We were far away and only became aware because everybody started standing up and pointing. Saw what looked like smoke, and then word drifted back our way that it was tear gas. People closer to the action were jumping up and running in all directions... there was definitely some panic kicking in.

At one point I saw what appeared to be some bikers rocking a cop car, like they were trying to roll it. I remember some anxious moments there for a while... this wasn't too long after Kent St, and I didn't want to end up on the cover of Life magazine. LOL

Dec 14, 2011, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: concerts at Charlie B's Outdoor Arena... early 70s ]

SOOO much good music during that time. Great memories. Was it really that long ago ? Seems like just a few little while back !

Dec 19, 2012, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: concerts at Charlie B's Outdoor Arena... early 70s ]

Wow, hadn't thought about this in so long. I am very well aware of the tear-gas incident, friend of mine was kinda involved. One of the standout memories of a teen age that sounds so out of control in today's context but was just so easy and natural at the time. Different time, for sure. Think one of the main things is that there was an absence of malice in all our fun and games. In retrospect, certainly an absence of judgement, but we did have a time...

I was there for two. Always wondered why that venue never

Dec 14, 2011, 10:15 AM

survived. The tear gas incident was the last one I went to. I was 15 and took my 13-year old brother to his first concert. Drove up from Clark's Hill (camping with the parents). Crazy scene. If I'm up that way, I've got to go by there just for the nostalgia.

P.S. Thanks for the post. This deserves multiple TUs.***

Dec 14, 2011, 10:18 AM

Dec 14, 2011, 8:05 PM

The James Gang concert was in late August or very early September in 1973. I was a freshman and had been on campus only a couple of weeks when I attended the all-day concert with a new buddy from Johnstone.

yep, this Foghat website with the 1973 tour says August 25

Dec 15, 2011, 9:05 AM

http://www.foghat.com/concerts/tour73.htm

AUG 25 CHARLIE B'S SENACA, SC
(w/James Gang, Savoy Brown, ZZ Top, Bloodrock)

The lineup doesn't exactly match the ticket stub, and they misspelled Seneca... but it's close enough.

found a picture...

Dec 20, 2011, 2:14 PM

Thanks for the memory.

Dec 21, 2011, 12:51 AM

I was sitting at the base of the group of trees just above the tambourine guy's head for most of the shows. Those truly were the 'Good Ol' Days'.

was going through my box of stubs and found another one

Mar 5, 2012, 2:44 PM

So I must have gone to at least 3 of these concerts, neither of these stubs show Fleetwood Mac, Goose Creek, Marshall Tucker, etc.

Like a time capsule. Need to open that place again. Biggest

Mar 5, 2012, 2:54 PM

problem... who would you get to play?

interesting- this show had 2 all-female bands Fanny & Birtha

Mar 6, 2012, 4:01 PM [ in reply to was going through my box of stubs and found another one ]

Misspelled as Bertha on ticket stub. I remember Fanny, somebody used to have an album or tape back in the day. Don't remember anything about Birtha, but they don't sound too bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SonFKwygT-I

my buddy Roy still has his too, shows the price ... $7.00

Aug 13, 2012, 7:53 PM [ in reply to was going through my box of stubs and found another one ]

A good friend of mine. who finished Clemson in 1975......

Mar 5, 2012, 3:31 PM

was telling me just the other day about this place. He could not remember where it was or the name of the place, but he remembers a big field and a HUGE party with awesome bands.
Thanks for posting!

Oct 19, 2012, 12:07 PM

I went 2 all Charlie B concerts but one.

Replies: 52
| visibility 651
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic