Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Simmons says years at Clemson prepared him for new role
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Jan 27, 2011, 11:11 AM

Former Clemson quarterback Willie Simmons says the time he spent at Clemson helped shape who he is and prepared him to be a coordinator at this early stage of his coaching career. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Willie, I was at UNC game where U zipped 4 TD's; Great!

Jan 27, 2011, 11:20 AM

We were down by 10 or 14 points around early part of 2nd quarter...Woody went down, and you came in and throw for two long TD's right off the bat. Wow, were we excited since it quieted that Baby Blue crowd. Beautiful passer!

Thanks for being a Clemson Man...and a very fine player.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too- I think we trailed by 17 at one point

Jan 27, 2011, 11:24 AM

great turnaround in that one. He really sparked us there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me 3- A great evening to be a Tiger in . . .

Jan 27, 2011, 11:58 AM

the midst of all those Tarholes!

Me 4...

Jan 27, 2011, 12:13 PM

I will never forget that game, especially since I live in NC. Willie could throw the ball a long ways.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Me 4...

Jan 27, 2011, 1:06 PM

Unfortunately, I did not make my first trip to Chapel Hill until this past year. But I remember watching that one at the Esso Club, and having gamecocks call me on my cell phone when we trailed 17-0. What a great night that was to be able to slap the face of chicken callers, and see the baby blue leaving the stadium on TV, after seeing them so hyped up in the first half. I never ever wish injury on anyone, but to be honest, that was one of those games where if Woody had not gone down, I don't know that we would have won. The UNC D' keyed all week on stopping Woody, they were not prepared at all when Willie came in!

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=749

one of the funniest things that night

Jan 27, 2011, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Me too- I think we trailed by 17 at one point ]

Ramses their goat took a leak near the corner of the endzone but in the out of bounds territory. About thirty minutes later I looked over to see him grazing casually in exactly the same spot he had recently befouled.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why did he take his final year of eligibility to Citadel?***

Jan 27, 2011, 11:48 AM

Lost his job to CW***

Jan 27, 2011, 12:06 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did he take his final year of eligibility to Citadel?***

Jan 27, 2011, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Why did he take his final year of eligibility to Citadel?*** ]

my thoughts too. If I remember correctly, he lost his starting position to Charlie Whitehurst, so he transferred to FAMU. But they were making the jump to D1A and he would have to sit a year, so he transferred to The Citadel. I remember being some controversy as to weather he could play at The Citadel since he reported to FAMU.

But if he was graduated, why couldn't he have transferred to another D1-A school and play like Willie Korn did (or planned to do at Marshall)?

Now I get it. Simmons started 2002, but Whitehurst finished

Jan 28, 2011, 3:08 AM

Thanks guys. My memory is shot. I was confused by the timing because the article said that Simmons was the starter in 2002. And I knew that Whitehurst was the starter in 2003, so I couldn't figure out when Whitehurst would have beaten out Simmons, that would have caused Simmons to go to Citadel for 2003. But after doing a bit of research, I see that Whitehurst beat out Simmons in 2002 and started the last 5 games of 2002 (as a redshirt freshman).

In order to transfer to another D-1 school as a grad student without waiting a year, the new school would have to offer a major that your old school didn't offer. Maybe Simmons couldn't find another D1 school that wanted him and had the right major.

I was at that game with a UNC fan. It was impressive.***

Jan 27, 2011, 11:52 AM

Re: Thank you for that UNC game. That was epic.***

Jan 27, 2011, 11:55 AM

I hate UNC. We will get them in LittleJohn.

Re: Simmons says years at Clemson prepared him for new role

Jan 27, 2011, 2:06 PM

Yes the UNC game was a Clemson Classic from the bench to the performance of a life time. We will not forget. As for having a good relationship with TB it is not a surprise. You both walk by Faith as well as Brad Scott. Many do not understand this relationship but you and CJ did. Thanks for your support of Clemson and willingness to share your faith. This is a part of Clemson concerning the character of many of the players and team that are one of the intangibles that last a life time. Go Willie. Congratulations

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Congrats Willie. You will do well in your life. Good man.

Jan 27, 2011, 4:20 PM

n

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic