Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting to get a boost from new facilities
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,570

Jan 14, 2011, 4:33 PM

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said the West Zone project has already been a boon to recruiting, and Friday’s announcement of a $50 million athletic facility enhancement project, which includes completion of the WestZone and indoor practice field, will help even more.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I walked into Bryant Denny Stadium last year, looked up . .

Jan 14, 2011, 4:36 PM

and said "WOW, Club dues are about to go up, big time!" - g&b

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

figured you for a Waffle House kind of guy

Jan 14, 2011, 5:52 PM

but if you like Denny's so be it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recruiting to get a boost from new facilities

Jan 14, 2011, 4:40 PM

Phone rings...

Dabo: "Hello, this is Coach Swinney"
Clowney: "Hi Coach, this is Jadeveon Clowney, I want to commit to Clemson"
Dabo: WOW, that is great! I did not think we were in the picture for you... what changed?
Clowney: Well you weren't, but then I saw the Oculus..."

Clowney doesn't even know what an oculus is.***

Jan 14, 2011, 5:02 PM

Most of the posters in here don't

Jan 14, 2011, 5:59 PM

either. ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: Most of the posters in here don't

Jan 14, 2011, 6:24 PM

I;m an OLDDD timmer, what is it??? :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most of the posters in here don't

Jan 14, 2011, 6:36 PM

Me too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Don't we have any architects on here?

Jan 15, 2011, 9:33 AM

It's a window, a big fancy circular window.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

yup

Jan 15, 2011, 10:48 AM

typically one in the ceiling, normally at the top of a dome...

Re: Clowney doesn't even know what an oculus is.***

Jan 14, 2011, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Clowney doesn't even know what an oculus is.*** ]

isn't an oculus a multi-armed sea creature?

Also, winning boosts recruiting.***

Jan 14, 2011, 5:03 PM

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

lol we have talent we need wins***

Jan 14, 2011, 5:18 PM

Who were the underutilized playmakers in our 2010 offense?***

Jan 14, 2011, 5:21 PM

Re: Who were the underutilized playmakers in our 2010 offense?***

Jan 14, 2011, 6:22 PM

Harper. Allen and a few WRs.

Harper should have been a FB (and Diehl a MLB) for the last 2 years IMO.

Allen and Brown showed they could be very effective until we stopped going to them. (Defenses may have focused more on them)

Ford looked very good the last few games this season. Dye has fallen off the map. (Some of Dye's lack of production could be his own doing, but he does have good size and I think our inability to develop an effective offense hurt his growth as a player)

Huh?

Jan 15, 2011, 11:25 AM

Allen was one of the leading TE's in America.

Harper? Did you see him attempt to carry the load the last half of the season? Had a couple good games, but he had more games like his 20 carries for 34 yards in the bowl game. Not sure how moving him to FB would have helped us score more points??

I wish Brown would have touched the ball more. But I don't think you can say we didn't try. Often I saw him and McNeal running free or breaking open - but unfortunately our QB didn't see them or was scared to throw the ball. As it was Brown was our 2nd leading receiver, so I don't think you can say we didn't try. I'm not sure if he's a "underutilized stud playmaker" or not - we will find out more with a new scheme.

In any case, we didn't "stop" either Allen or Brown.

Like you, I like Ford. I don't think he's anything like a stud playmaker, but like you I feel he's a good possession guy and needs more touches. You can't say "he looked very good the last few games" though. His last 4 games were 1, 0, 1, and 4 catches. It wasn't until Boyd played in the bowl game and started spreading it around that ford actually was any kind of factor. But again, stud playmaker? Nah.

I just didn't see a bunch of underutilized stud playmakers on offense. To your point though, if we had a more effective offense, then all the guys would've had had more touches.

Bring in Morris, plus existing guys, plus incoming guys...then let's see what we have.

Ellington, Nuke, McNeal, et al. Moreover, awful play-calling

Jan 15, 2011, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Who were the underutilized playmakers in our 2010 offense?*** ]

Dabo/Napier foolishly EVENLY split carries between Ellington & Harper, even though Ellington had much higher yards-per-carry, and more points per carry. That underutilization of talent probably cost Clemson a few losses, a Top 25 ranking, a better bowl game, and a few recruits.

Dabo/Napier foolishly played senior WRs Ashe & Dye over younger, more talented guys like Hopkins and McNeal, even though those younger guys proved (ever since the UNT game) that they were superior WRs. That underutilization of talent probably cost Clemson a few lossses, a Top 25 ranking, and a few recruits.

Anyway, your question only addresses a part of Dabo/Napier's failures and weaknesses. Including the UNC suspensions Clemson had more player-talent on the field than every opponent except Auburn, Miami, and FSU. (FSU was about even.) For proof of this, go to ShakingTheSouthland.com and scroll back through their archives, where you will find weekly pre-game analyses of the player-talent based on Rivals & Scout. The other part of the problem was that the game-planning was so pathetic, and the play-calling was so predictable and awful that it put our talented players at a severe disadvantage. Even BC's linebacker, Luke Kuechly, laughed at Clemson after the game, telling the press that they almost always knew what play Clemson would run based on the formation, down & distance. (No kidding. Me too.)

In addition, it seems that the position coaching has been pretty weak, especially at QB, WR, OL, & RB.

Even though there were only 2 teams that had more player-talent than Clemson, Clemson had SEVEN losses. I don't think that can be explained by facilities or bad luck. That's just bad coaching, plain and simple. If anyone has another explanation for why a team with superior player-talent regularly loses to teams with inferior player-talent (not just gets upset once in a while), I'd be interested to hear it. But if I'm wrong, then why did Dabo fire Napier & Powell?

Exactly zero words were said about completion of the

Jan 14, 2011, 6:15 PM

WestZone at today's press conference, very odd.

Hopefully a training table too?

Jan 14, 2011, 10:50 PM

nm

Winning games couldn't hurt either. We really haven't seen

Jan 15, 2011, 11:33 AM

any marked improvement in the win/loss column that has resulted from the facility upgrades we have already done. In fact, several programs have gotten significantly worse in the last 10 years (Men and women's soccer come to mind). I'm all for upgrading facilities, but I'm just not sure it will translate into more success on the field. I still think Barker's "Top 20" goal is hindering our coaches from getting all of the players they need to be successful into Clemson.

Re: Recruiting to get a boost from new facilities

Jan 15, 2011, 12:26 PM

Hopefully this does not negatively impact the real Clemson University. (That is, providing a reasonable job ticket for all the money spent by students and family.) See real world below:

Legislative Update

January 14, 2011

THIS WEEK

Nikki Haley, a 1994 graduate of Clemson University, was inaugurated as South Carolina’s 117th governor on Wednesday. Also sworn into office were Lt. Governor Ken Ard and the state’s constitutional officers.

Governor Haley has made several cabinet appointments, two of which two were confirmed by the Senate this week. Those confirmed this week were Bobby Hitt as Secretary of Commerce and Catherine Templeton as the Director of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.

The first session of the 119th General Assembly convened on Tuesday, January 11th.

This is the first year of a two year session which means those bills introduced during this legislative session will carry over until next year as well. Each legislative session is held from the second Tuesday in January until the first Thursday in June.

BUDGET

Prior to leaving office, Governor Sanford released his final Executive Budget. The Executive budget recommends more reductions for Clemson University for FY11-12. These cuts reduce Clemson’s education and general base budget from approximately $63 million to $54 million and Clemson’s base Public Service Activities budget from approximately $28 million to $10 million. In addition to these monetary reductions, Governor Sanford’s budget also makes the following recommendations that would affect Clemson University:

Education and General:

* Maintains funding for state scholarships
* Recommends limiting tuition increases to the South Atlantic Higher Education Price Index inflation rate
* Calls for a Board of Regents
* Includes no Endowed Chairs funding

Public Service Activities:

* Recommends moving forestry programs to the Forestry Commission
* Recommends moving meat inspection to DHEC

Other Elements:

* Calls for a 5% reduction in pay for state employees with salaries greater than $35,000
* Does not fund any state employee insurance premium increase

The Budget Process

The House Ways and Means Committee (where the appropriations bill originates) will begin agency budget subcommittee hearings next week and will continue this process through January.

The full Ways and Means Committee met on Thursday to hear presentations by several state agencies including the SC Department of Education and the Commission on Higher Education. Dr. Garry Walters, Executive Director of CHE gave an overview of higher education and stressed the need for more funding for public colleges and universities.

President Barker is scheduled to give his budget presentation to the Ways and Means Higher Education Subcommittee at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, January 19th. The PSA budget hearing is set for February 2nd.

House Ways and Means Subcommittees that will hear Clemson’s budget requests

Higher Education Subcommittee:

Representative Chip Limehouse, Chairman

Representative B.R. Skelton

Representative Joe Neal

Economic Development and Natural Resources Subcommittee:

Representative Tracy Edge, Chairman

Representative Jim Battle

Representative Denny Neilson

Representative Chip Huggins

BILLS OF INTEREST

The House and Senate pre-filed bills for the 2011 Session. Several bills were introduced that would have an impact on Clemson and are listed below:

H.3025 – Representative Murrell Smith – A bill to establish a SC College and University Board of Regents – referred to the House Education and Public Works Committee.

H.3036 – Representative Boyd Brown - A bill to establish a SC College and University Board of Regents – referred to the House Education and Public Works Committee.

H.3051 – Representative Shannon Erickson – A Joint Resolution to provide that no state agency by regulation may increase or implement a fee for performing a service without the approval of the General Assembly and to provide exceptions– referred to the House Judiciary Committee.

H.3066 – Representative Garry Smith – A bill to restructure state government by creating a Department of Administration – referred to the House Judiciary Committee.

H.3125 – Representative Mike Pitts – a bill to move the State Veterinarian from Clemson University to the Department of Agriculture – referred to the Agriculture, Natural Resource and Environmental Affairs Committee.

H.3185 – Representative Harrell and others – A bill to enact the SC Higher Education Transparency Act – to require each public institution of higher education to post online a detailed transaction register of all expenditures – referred to the House Education and Public Works Committee.

H. 3204 – Representative Brady and Spires – A Joint Resolution to create the SC Summer Camp Study Committee to study the summer camps in the state – referred to the House Education and Public Works Committee.

S.14 – Senators McConnell and Davis – A bill to provide that a state agency must not increase or implement a fine or fee by regulation or administrative action and to provide exceptions – referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

S.90 – Senator Ryberg and others – A bill to close the TERI Program – referred to the Senate Finance Committee.

S.100 – Senator Grooms – A bill to enact the SC Truth in Spending Act – referred to the Senate Finance Committee.

S.117 – Senator Bryant – A bill to requiring all institutions of higher education to maintain a detailed transaction register of all expenditures- referred to the Senate Education Committee.

S.134 – Senator Campsen – A bill to restructure state government – referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

S.153 – Senator Shoopman – A bill to enact the SC Truth in Spending Act – referred to the Senate Finance Committee.

S.172 – Senator Rose - A bill to requiring all institutions of higher education to maintain a detailed transaction register of all expenditures- referred to the Senate Education Committee.

S.205 – Senators Davis and others – A bill to provide that state agencies must have approval by the General Assembly to increase fees or fines and to provide exceptions – referred to the Senate Finance Committee.

S.238 – Senators Larry Martin and Peeler - A bill to restructure SC state government – referred to the Senate Education Committee.

S.252 – Senator Bright – A bill to move Clemson PSA to the SC Department of Agriculture – referred to the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee.

FYI

Earlier this week, Clemson University launched a “spending transparency” website on which every expense paid by Clemson University from July 1, 2010, through the end of November - roughly 85,000 transactions - will now be available for public view. The website — http://transpend.clemson.edu/

— also includes information about sources of funding and explanations of cost categories. The site will be updated as books for each month are closed.

From a state budgeting standpoint, Clemson is considered two separate state agencies: a research university that receives an educational and general (E&G) state appropriation for teaching and student support, and a land-grant Public Services Activities (PSA) division that receives a state appropriation to support agriculture, forestry and natural resource Extension, research and regulatory programs.

The university also has auxiliary operations, such as athletics, student housing and dining services, which receive no state funding and must generate all of their own revenue. Clemson has numerous sources of revenue – some unrestricted and some legally or internally designated for specific purposes. The website includes expenses for all funding sources, not just state appropriations.

For a complete list of bills being tracked by the Clemson Governmental Affairs team, please visit our website (www.clemson.edu/governmentalaffairs

). The Clemson Advocates website (www.ciclt.net/clemson

) and our Clemson Advocates Facebook page are constantly updated with news and information for you.

GO TIGERS!

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,570
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic