Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Legend Bill Wilhelm Passes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Dec 24, 2010, 12:09 PM

In his 36 years as Clemson’s head coach he posted a record of 1161-536-10, and the 1161 victories are the most in school history in any sport. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 1959, I was a young radio announcer. We did some of his

Dec 24, 2010, 12:53 PM

games down through the years when college baseball was not on very much. He was always very supportive and welcomed us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The greatest Clemson coach in our athletic history

Dec 24, 2010, 1:26 PM

He won big. He won championships. He did it the right way. In my dad's time around Clemson athletics Wilhelm was his favorite coach. They were of the same generation and saw things the same way. He'll be greatly missed and my prayers go up for his wife, children, family and friends.

Great coach, but Coach Ibrahim and 2 NC's is tough to beat.***

Dec 24, 2010, 2:24 PM

A great man and a great coach***

Dec 24, 2010, 2:02 PM

He offered me a preferred walk-on even though I was D-II

Dec 24, 2010, 5:38 PM

ability. I had no chance at making it, but I made some great memories & fantastic friends that I am still in contact with today, 30 years later. For that, I tip my hat to "THE COACH".

I know that Mr. Kingsmore must have made a giant donation to Clemson, but if there was ever a time to consider re-naming the field or stadium, now it is past time.

Re: He offered me a preferred walk-on even though I was D-II

Dec 24, 2010, 5:40 PM

my guess is they will honor his wish. best thing clemson can do is to never sell the seat he sat in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Legend Bill Wilhelm Passes

Dec 25, 2010, 10:58 AM

Best coach I ever had!!!!

Re: Clemson Legend Bill Wilhelm Passes

Dec 25, 2010, 4:45 PM

In 1979 I walked on to the Clemson baseball team as a pitcher. I thought I was much better than I was. I pitched my first batting practice about a week into Fall practice. I faced Neil Simons, Clemson's four time All ACC player. I believe he hit every pitch I threw out of the park. Coach Wilhelm called me aside and looked me straight in the eyes with his steely blue eyes and said, "Son, I think we're both wasting our time here, don't you?" It hurt like crazy because I had always wanted to play for the Tigers since I could walk. But to this day I respect him so much for his honesty. He was a great coach. I just wish I'd been good enough to play for him. My prayers go out to his family and he really was a great man and coach. Rest in peace Coach and thank you for all you did for Clemson!

RIP

Dec 25, 2010, 7:12 PM

He was MY Coach.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Great Guy whom I wrote an article about for The TIGER.......

Dec 25, 2010, 10:53 PM

Also, in 1988 I was staying over an extra day in the back parking lot near baseball field in my RV...and while walking around to the front of the athletic building on a Sunday morning I ran into Coach Wilhelm coming out of the front doors...and so I took the opportunity to say hello again and introduced him to my girlfriend...and he was so polite to us and allowed me to talk a little ball with him. A tall, well-built man who was not only handsome but genuine and a true gentleman.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic