Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pay for Play thoughts (short)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Pay for Play thoughts (short)

Jul 18, 2011, 1:28 PM

H3ll to the NO!!!!! Free education is payment enough. End of discussion!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with this 100%

Jul 18, 2011, 1:32 PM

$100,000+ dollar education, room and board, meals, athletic clothing warm ups etc. is plenty.

They don't need to go out shopping and buying half the town in their "spare" time.

Dabo said it himself. He went to school with absolutely nothing and made it through. If he can so can everyone else!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I totally agree.

Jul 18, 2011, 1:43 PM

Room, Board and Books for in-state students is now at $20,986 a year and $37,144 for out-of-state students. Considering that most of these kids go to school for 5 years, some of them receive over $185,000 in benefits. Using the in-state rates, the football teams receives $1,783,810 in scholarships a year and $8,919,050 over 5 years. Of course, this amount doesn't take into consideration the cost of summer school and apparel (shirts, hats, shoes...) that these players get.

Re: I agree with this 100%

Jul 18, 2011, 2:04 PM [ in reply to I agree with this 100% ]

Same free EDUCATION/ROOM AND BOARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is enough end of story...........

Re: I agree with this 100%

Jul 18, 2011, 2:07 PM

I just gave all you guys a thumbs up !!!!!!!! :)

Very concise. And I agree. Many of these kids couldn't

Jul 18, 2011, 1:37 PM

even GET IN to college without football, much less have it paid for. That is payment enough.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You raise an excellent point....

Jul 18, 2011, 1:40 PM

Just getting to attend some of the universities for some of these players is a huge "payment". If some of the players had to compete for enrollment slots with the "average joes", they would not get in to many of the schools that give them the opportunity becasuse of athletics. I had never really thought about it from that point before. Great perspective!

These kids are very fortunate to live where their football

Jul 18, 2011, 1:49 PM

skills are coveted. (I think most of them realize that, too.) They are being given a golden opportunity.

"Pay for play" always comes up when some kid gets busted for making money on the side (like the OSU kid). People think if you just pay them, then they won't need to make money "on the side". I completely disagree with that - I think it would just up the ante.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They get plenty.........

Jul 18, 2011, 1:54 PM

- free education
- free food
- free travel during the holidays
- clothes
- all of the free junk from bowls
- free healthcare
- free coaching (without which they would never be able to go pro
- Pell Grants provide plenty of spending money for those ultra poor people everyone complains about not having money for pizza

Re: They get plenty.........

Jul 18, 2011, 2:08 PM

Yes, good points all the way around. Every scholarship recruit, gets a full ride to school, free meals, class, coaching, living, travel on holidays, etc. Plus things like the Pell Grant, give like 4000 a year or maybe even a semester? IMO that is plenty and ive never liked the idea of college kids getting paid to play when they get free everything while in college.

dont forget the free...

Jul 18, 2011, 2:11 PM

tutors that give the athletes no reason not to graduate.

Compelling argumrents can be made....

Jul 18, 2011, 2:11 PM [ in reply to They get plenty......... ]

to support either side of this debate. That said, I don't think you can use a Pell Grant for things like pizza, gas, or clothing. Furthermore, since qualifying for a Pell Grant is determined, at least in part, by factors such as tuition cost, room and board, books, and meal plans, most student-athletes attending school on full athletic scholarships would likely fail to qualify since those costs are fully covered by the University.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Compelling argumrents can be made....

Jul 18, 2011, 2:25 PM

Good point, im not sure about the use of the Pell Grant. But also an athlete who managed well in high school and had good enough grades, have scholarship money to spend that they earned, and recieve a check once a month for that. I guess your right about an argument can be made for both sides, but i still think scholarship players are paid enough. If they want "acutal money" we just stop giving them free education, room and board, etc. Let them manage the money. I think it is at best the way it is now.

As a former student-athlete.....

Jul 18, 2011, 2:34 PM

I can tell you that it would have been nice to have a few extra dollars of spending money in my pocket. Even if the NCAA permitted it, student-athletes now train almost year around for their respective sports, so a part time job isn't even a realistic option.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a former student-athlete.....

Jul 18, 2011, 2:44 PM

Good point, but how about those students that dont have sports scholarships, and have to work part to full time while going to school, so they can pay for their education. They dont have any extra cash to fork out for "spending money" because they pay for school, since they were not fortunate enough to have a scholarship. Add that in to not having any free time to go and hangout with friends, etc, because of work all the time. Still both sides have convincing arguments.

And most college students don't have time to work.

Jul 18, 2011, 2:50 PM [ in reply to As a former student-athlete..... ]

For the ones that do, I don't know how they do it.

There's something in these hills.

It is extremely tough!!! I did it, worked Part Time

Jul 18, 2011, 2:54 PM

was Married and had a newborn when I started Clemson in August of 97. Put in 100 hours while working and raising a family in 3 years and graduated in May of 2000 in Industrial Engineering.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

At least they have the option of getting summer jobs

Jul 18, 2011, 2:57 PM [ in reply to And most college students don't have time to work. ]

or internships.

A Pell Grant is a check. Why can't you use it for whatever

Jul 18, 2011, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Compelling argumrents can be made.... ]

you want?

There are limitations and restrictions

Jul 18, 2011, 3:06 PM

In most cases, the school receives the money rather than the individual at which time the school deducts its costs (tuition, housing, meal plans, books, etc).

If there is anything remaining, the balance is given to the students who may spend it how they wish on school-related expenses (computers, fees, supplies, etc).

And since the athletes on full scholarship have

Jul 18, 2011, 6:10 PM

their expenses paid, that money goes directly in their pockets.

Agreed.***

Jul 18, 2011, 1:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you imagine if Jay Bilas got his way? Large market

Jul 18, 2011, 2:23 PM

schools would begin to take over. Ad revenues in Los Angeles and Miami vs those in Wyoming or even Clemson for that matter. More money = more corruption. I thought Micheal Roth said it best in this article. http://www.gogamecocks.com/2011/07/17/135547/ggf-paying-players-debate-simmers.html

Roth: Athletes who campaign for more money “want to live a luxurious lifestyle while they are in college,” Roth said. “That’s not what college is about.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nuff said!***

Jul 18, 2011, 2:36 PM

I don't understand why so many people care so

Jul 18, 2011, 2:58 PM

deeply about this issue it only effects the players and the people who have to monitor the program. Why do you care if the players get a few hundred extra bucks a month for spending money. Kids that are in the ROTC program and on scholarship with a branch of the service get 500-750 a month for spending money. Also this is something that schools use to do up until the 1960's it was called laundry money but the players didn't do there own laundry it was just spending money. Also current players and future players aren't pushing for this it is former players and coaches. Most of the coaches are former players so I would think they would have a better understanding about the need than most people. Also if you aren't going to give them spending money let them work during the off season and not expect them to workout everyday during the off season.

Re: I don't understand why so many people care so

Jul 18, 2011, 9:54 PM

Different situation ROTC and athletics.My kid is on a ROTC scholly and he does get around 500 a month but he also will be doing 4 years in the air force.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic