Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
MY how times have CHANGED!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

MY how times have CHANGED!

Jan 24, 2011, 10:02 AM

In 1999, TB's first year on the job, we signed 28 players.

The trouble was, that we couldn't get a 5-star kid to give us an official visit, let alone sign with us. I clearly remember following our futile attempts to attract the top players in the region and around the country to the Clemson campus for a visit.

By far our biggest recruit that year was Willie Simmons.

Even though we'd just hired the hottest young coach in the nation who was supposed to be pass-happy and offensively minded, we couldn't attract a single WR to campus who had any sort of national reputation out of HS.

Instead, we signed Kevin Youngblood (a project) and JJ McKelvey (who was a LB).

Our idea of OL recruiting was summed up in the Carrol twins ...

Today, we have a ton of talent already on campus and we have one of the Top-10 classes in the nation ready to sign on February 2. And ... we're still in the hunt for more.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly ... we have just revamped the coaching staff to take full advantage.

It's truely a ### good day to be a Clemson Tiger.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Post!***

Jan 24, 2011, 10:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with Apex! Now to make that talent into big seasons

Jan 24, 2011, 10:05 AM

We should be Top3 ACC team year in year out with this level of talent we have now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At some point the results become important**

Jan 24, 2011, 10:12 AM

nm

lol at The Carrol twins

Jan 24, 2011, 10:19 AM

Those kids lived down the hall from me. I think they got way into the dip and never panned out. They were nice guys though.

Re: lol at The Carrol twins

Jan 24, 2011, 7:20 PM

which dip is that ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here, here***

Jan 24, 2011, 10:26 AM

Re: MY how times have CHANGED! Well put

Jan 24, 2011, 10:33 AM

Now I have been trying to say just that. Clemson has reached a new level and continues to improve no matter what Tnet wants to say. Yes others have oved forward with us but we have laid a foundation to lift us above. The ACC race is on between Clemson and FSU as never before. I saw a blog on Rivals saying all I see is Clemson and SC what the heck is going on. Yes there are a large number of committments to the traditioanls of ND, Michigan, and Texas has loaded the boat as has LSU but Clemson is getting it's fair number now so it's bout time we took our place back among college footballs top programs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

I remembr how celebratory we were when James Davis

Jan 24, 2011, 10:42 AM

committed. A FOUR star and the # 7 ranked RB in the nation!! It was pandimonium.

Now we seem to get a top 10 back almost every year and visits from even more. Times have changed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Now if we could just win with our talent!***

Jan 24, 2011, 10:43 AM

Yep. You've gotta recruit in college athletics. It's

Jan 24, 2011, 10:44 AM

a combination of recruiting and coaching, but if you can't recruit, you really don't have a chance.

If you can't coach, you can still get by having great recruits.

changed a ton but it's time to win with the kids

Jan 24, 2011, 10:45 AM

no trophies handed out in February....great job getting the kids here....I think that goes to the coaches and the facility improvements over the past decade +.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: MY how times have CHANGED!

Jan 24, 2011, 10:49 AM

Bowden came in after a 3-8 season so must of that is on West. The irony here is that Bowden was more successful when he had West's players. (Keith Adams, Gardner, Dantzler, etc.)He was able to pull in some big recruits a year or two later (Crosby, Hamilton, Currie) but two of those three never played up to their hype.

Jan 24, 2011, 10:55 AM

Lol. Yep 3-9 and metal lockers kind of cramp your style a little bit in recruiting your first year or so. But they did really well with what they had to work with, in my opinion.

8-0 in 2000

Jan 24, 2011, 2:21 PM

When we reached 8-0 during the 2000 season, that was pretty much the pinnacle for the Bowden regime.

Those were heady times and it looked like we were on our way back to the top.

Hit a snag vs Ga Tech, got bl;own out by FSU ... broke SCAR's heart and then provided Michael Vick's last hurrah in college.

9-3 ... not bad, but we never improved on it.

Re: 8-0 in 2000

Jan 24, 2011, 11:06 PM

Ha. Metal lockers from the seventies for years to recruit with. Hilarious, isn't it? At least the stadium was nice.

^^^^Gets It^^^^***

Jan 24, 2011, 10:56 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's not start soaping each others' backs just yet***

Jan 24, 2011, 11:08 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

And yet we still win only 7 or 8 games a season with the

Jan 24, 2011, 11:32 AM

occasional 6 or 9. This with an extra freebee added on to every season since then. At least back then we were over achievers.

Being an over-achiever is easy coming off 3-8 season, no?

Jan 24, 2011, 2:15 PM

And for the record, I'm not saying anthing other than that the pieces are in place now .... so JUST WIN!

Jan 24, 2011, 11:43 AM

Praise God that your not a COOT fan... Because if you were Id be laughing about your recruiting class.

Jan 24, 2011, 12:53 PM

I believe you nailed it!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TB owes his years at Clemson to RichRod

Jan 24, 2011, 1:04 PM

I think we all realize that now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet TB's best team came after RichRod was gone.............

Jan 24, 2011, 2:57 PM

I think gone for a couple of years before the 63 pts in Williams Bryce and the win over top 10 Tenn.

Re: Yet TB's best team came after RichRod was gone.............

Jan 24, 2011, 3:03 PM

That 2003 squad was the team that started the season losing 0-30 to Georgia in Death Valley and then lost 45-7 to Wake Forest.

All in all, I thought the 2000 team was better even though the records were the same.

In 2000 we got to 8-0 before tapering off against solid competition.

2003 ended better, but the way the began was pretty bad.

And we owe it all to Tommy Bowden

Jan 25, 2011, 3:04 AM

He's the one who changed the profile of Clemson Football over 10 hard years. Then Dabo took the first shot he could to dance on the guy's grave and install new 'traditions' as an interim coach.
His pre-game and half-time speeches suck and he loses more than he wins against quality D-1 opponents.
Great.
Hope the new high school coach from Tulsa is the answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not that stcked at all...

Jan 25, 2011, 5:24 AM

still huge holes in our recruiting, mainly LB....OL to an extent a well.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic