Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3,653 Days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

3,653 Days

May 13, 2004, 9:09 AM

10 years ago today, a 21 year old man walked across the stage in Littlejohn, shook Max Lennon's hand, and received his degree from Clemson University. What a day that was. After all but flunking out of school my freshman year, I made it. On that May 13, 1994, the world was at my feet and I was ready for anything, or so I thought.

As I drove home with my fiance that afternoon, the future could not have seemed brighter. I had accepted a management position with a large company; I was getting married soon; and I had been accepted into graduate school at Clemson.

Unfortunately, though I was in graduate school,in the 5-6 years following graduation, Clemson just wasn't a priority. Though I lived in Greenville, I rarely made it over for a game, ice cream, or anything else.

By April 1999, I was living in (gasp) Columbia, a first year student in law school. I followed all of the Clemson goings-on and kept my IPTAY membership going, but still had not been on campus since leaving the upstate. On the day of my first of end of the semester exams, which are a bit stressful (in law school, you have one exam and that's your grade), I took the exam with tears in my eyes, left the law school and drove home to load my soon to be ex-wife's "half" in a Uhaul truck and watched her drive away. I've never felt as alone as I did that day. All of my friends and family were in the upstate. I was a student at USC, not Clemson. No money, so how could I get through two more years of law school?

In the fall of 1999, I made it back to campus for the Marshall game. I've missed one home game since then. That night, I realized that I was back home. Tears came as 82,000 people sang our alma mater. Though I had neglected Clemson, Clemson was still there.

Now everything has come full circle. Last Thanksgiving day in the Military Heritage Plaza overlooking Bowman Field, I dropped to one knee and said "Rebecca Smith, will you marry me?" I got it right this time.

Now, though I live in Columbia, I visit Clemson 20-25 times each year. I love to walk under the great oaks and remember all of the wonderful memories that Clemson gave me from 1990-94.

Clemson is a very special place to me. This isn't a post about how I miss all of the good times I had as a a college student. It is about the place in my life and my heart that Clemson University occupies. For me, Clemson is home and will always be.

Happy 10 years to all in the May 1994 class. Sorry to ramble this morning. tgrdiver

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My condolences on having to shake Max Lennon's hand.***

May 13, 2004, 9:30 AM

I'll bet you enjoyed shaking Holderman's hand

May 13, 2004, 9:51 AM

Eventhough you had no idea where it had been (or did you)?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nope. Enjoyed shaking R.C. Edwards ' though.

May 13, 2004, 10:30 AM

Holderman and Lennon were both incompetent. Everything else was just fuel on the fire.

You're absolutely right about that !!!!***

May 13, 2004, 10:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And so did he as he probably stole your watch***

May 13, 2004, 12:15 PM [ in reply to I'll bet you enjoyed shaking Holderman's hand ]

you saw some good football, and then you went out......

May 13, 2004, 9:34 AM

with some bad football teams. I think the '93 teams was pathetic even though they won the Peach Bowl (vs. Bill Curry). The '94 season was terrible but at least we thought Tommy West was the answer. Hope you enjoyed your Freshman and Sophomore years.

That post went over your head like an F 15 flying over a

May 13, 2004, 10:37 AM

dead camel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great post!***

May 13, 2004, 11:44 AM

I walked across the stage that same day

May 13, 2004, 12:45 PM

and tomorrow I will be celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary.

Congratulations on surviving one of life's many curveballs and landing on your feet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic