Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What OP has done at Clemson is just as equivalent as
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

What OP has done at Clemson is just as equivalent as

Mar 24, 2010, 2:35 PM

if a coach took South Carolina football to 4 9/10 win seasons in a row.

Heck, even three winning records in the SEC in a row would be equivalent to what OP has done for Clemson basketball.

No idea why, but Clemson fans need to stop throwing their coaches under the bus. My co-workers are even harassing me for how many Clemson fans have this mentality.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Not throwing OP under the bus, but after 7 years,

Mar 24, 2010, 2:46 PM

it's time we win a game in the tourney. Simple as that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Not throwing OP under the bus, but after 7 years,

Mar 24, 2010, 2:48 PM

no ####..

Its like USC having a winning record in the SEC and winning 9 games 3 years in a row then getting beat by Duke in the carquest bowl..

who really gives a ####

No, it would be equivalent to them losing 3 years in a row

Mar 24, 2010, 2:52 PM

in a good bowl by a respectable team, just as our three losses have been.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were the higher seed in all 3 of those losses. Time to

Mar 24, 2010, 2:59 PM

stop making excuses and go recruit some "shooters." Noel looks to be really good, but that's about it. One pure shooter surrounded by a bunch of role players (athletes) will only get you so far.

null

Look at who we lost to and then where they were the next

Mar 24, 2010, 3:06 PM

season. We lost to Nova and they were a top 10 team the next year, we lost to Michigan and they were a top 10 team this year (granted, they fell apart), we'll see where Mizzou is next year.

I agree he needs to change his recruiting techniques and who he aims after, but frankly, now is really the time he can. We were too pitiful of a school to attract any good recruits, but thankfully, we're good enough now he can get players.

That's why he deserves more time, he's gotten us this far with players like Hamilton, Hammonds, and Booker. Imagine what he could do if he could snag a few outstanding players.

Michigan??

Mar 24, 2010, 3:17 PM

Maybe they were but I sure can't recall it. Are you sure about top 10

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah, they were 15, my bad***

Mar 24, 2010, 3:20 PM

still better than I recalled

Mar 24, 2010, 3:21 PM

I did not remember them being ranked at all

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They dropped pretty quick after losing in their 4th game or

Mar 24, 2010, 3:22 PM

something, but yea, they were up there with high expectations for this year.

They finished NOWHERE near the Top 25! Sub .500 Big 10

Mar 24, 2010, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Ah, they were 15, my bad*** ]

record and NO DANCE. Calling them a ranked team hurts your arguement-should have left them out of it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was talking about pre-season expectations***

Mar 24, 2010, 3:29 PM

Based on preseason expectations-our win over UNC was big...

Mar 24, 2010, 3:38 PM

but we know better now. The only people who put emphasis on preseason are people who fare poorly in the regular season.

What is the FB equivalent of blowing a 17 point lead in BB?***

Mar 24, 2010, 3:46 PM [ in reply to No, it would be equivalent to them losing 3 years in a row ]

Losing a 20 pt lead in football***

Mar 24, 2010, 3:48 PM

Love to see your math on that- I would think it is ALOT

Mar 24, 2010, 4:00 PM

closer to 40 points

Could be done mathematically, but I'm too lazy. Think of

Mar 24, 2010, 4:10 PM

the number of possessions in football and number in basketball. That, and basketball is a game of runs, only take a good 15-2 run to cut that lead, which is very common in basketball.

A 17 point lead in basketball is not equivalent to holding a football lead.

So where did you get 20 from? Same preseason poll that

Mar 24, 2010, 4:24 PM

had Michigan Top 10?

With the 3-point shot and the pace of the game, I'd say

Mar 24, 2010, 4:16 PM [ in reply to What is the FB equivalent of blowing a 17 point lead in BB?*** ]

that losing a 17-point lead in college hoops is not that unusual.

It would depend largely on how much time was left.

While a 17-point halftime lead in basketball sounds like a LOT, it has certainly not proven to be insurmountable in the age of the 3-point shot and the 35 second clock.

When football incorporates rules that dictate that a LONG TD PASS is worth 10 points instead of 7 and when they place restrictions on how a team approaches their offensive strategy with a lead, then the comparison with basketball will be a lot more valid.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is the FB equivalent coming back from 20 in BB?******

Apr 8, 2010, 5:13 PM [ in reply to What is the FB equivalent of blowing a 17 point lead in BB?*** ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

And we will, if we don't get one in the next two years I'll

Mar 24, 2010, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Not throwing OP under the bus, but after 7 years, ]

start getting upset, but our program simply getting there is amazing at the moment.

Two more years to win a tourney game? You are patient***

Mar 24, 2010, 4:19 PM

Let it go...I have...if at some time someone comes...

Mar 24, 2010, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Not throwing OP under the bus, but after 7 years, ]

...knocking for OP, take that buy-out and use it as a down payment on an indoor football training facility.

That would be a great season for the b'ball program!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

No it really isn't

Mar 24, 2010, 2:58 PM

You can't compare the two..

In college basketball ANYONE can win a game in the tournament.. As has been evident this year With st.marys, cornell, ohio... etc.. In college football is almost always the top powers that win.. just fact.. The fact that we have lost to double digit seeds in the NCAA tournament for 3 years in a row and 2 years in a row in the ACC tournament is a huge deal in this day and age of the parity of .. college basketball

Oh hey, it's the guy who's been claiming OP=Bowden WAY

Mar 24, 2010, 3:11 PM

before January whenever he's been a member of TNET since December 2nd, lol!

You've proven my point by contradicting yourself anyway. You just said ANYONE can win, which makes our losses not look as bad anyway. Fool.

I don't buy that - App St./ Michigan????

Mar 24, 2010, 3:20 PM [ in reply to No it really isn't ]

Boise State beat Oklahoma in a bowl a few years ago. Washington beats USC.

Poor logic

Dude, Stanford beating USC!***

Mar 24, 2010, 3:21 PM

the list goes on. a 30+ game season of bball

Mar 24, 2010, 3:27 PM

its harder not to have an upset. particularly in a game so susceptible to hot/cold nights

Re: What OP has done at Clemson is just as equivalent as

Mar 24, 2010, 4:25 PM

I'm with you; OP is an outstanding coach and has brought a level of consistent excellence to our program. He is a class act on and off the court, supports the community and is a high character guy. No one is happy with the last three games but I don't subscribe to the fatal logic that he has reached the ceiling as our coach - those are ridiculous allegations based on (uneducated) opinions, not facts. I think it is acceptable to have some "tension" after the short-comings of this year; to a degree, that can be productive. But any mention of Clemson releasing OP is an excercise in the futility of "greener pastures" that would be a grave mistake.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bout ten and they are all logged on right now!***

Mar 24, 2010, 5:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2010, 9:12 PM

soccerkrzy,
you & sbrooks have it right. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

I've thought about the equiavlency of CU b'ball to USuC f'ball several times, but never put it into words. I think what you have said is the easiest way for people to get some appreciation for OP & what he has accomplished.

I can't say it any better than sbrooks, so I'll just repeat exactly what he said:

"I'm with you; OP is an outstanding coach and has brought a level of consistent excellence to our program. He is a class act on and off the court, supports the community and is a high character guy. No one is happy with the last three games but I don't subscribe to the fatal logic that he has reached the ceiling as our coach - those are ridiculous allegations based on (uneducated) opinions, not facts. I think it is acceptable to have some "tension" after the short-comings of this year; to a degree, that can be productive. But any mention of Clemson releasing OP is an excercise in the futility of "greener pastures" that would be a grave mistake".

South Carolina is the reason we will never reach next level

Mar 25, 2010, 7:28 AM

South Carolina is horrible. Absolutely horrible. When you judge success by being better than horrible, you end up stuck in mediocrity.

TTT***

Apr 8, 2010, 3:16 PM

Most I see are badmouthing OP on account of how he

Apr 8, 2010, 3:25 PM

handled the move. Nothing to do with what he accomplished here. I think everyone would agree that he did good things while he was at Clemson, but he shitted on his players, coaches, and fans with how he handled the situation.

Message was edited by: howboutthemtigers®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. This darn site...

Apr 8, 2010, 4:25 PM

WAY too many drama queens.

Larry Shyatt's teams were losing pickup games in Fike

Apr 8, 2010, 3:41 PM

Thanks to OP, the mens BB team went from losing summer pickup games in Fike to getting into the NCAA tourny.

Apr 8, 2010, 4:17 PM

Yes, I agree. However OP is not worth $2.1 per year. I'm not throwing him under the bus at all, I'm just aware that it was time to move on if that's what it took to keep him.

That is what TDP did and I agree.***

Apr 8, 2010, 4:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic