Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I've long been a supporter of Coach Bowden.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 737

I've long been a supporter of Coach Bowden.

Oct 7, 2007, 9:23 AM

When the dust clears, and the passage of time allows us to have a little perspective on the Coach Bowden Era at Clemson, I hope that most fans will realize that we do owe him a debt of gratitude. Even when times are "good" in Tigertown, it's hard to remember just how far our program had fallen by '98 - through the Hatfield years and on through Coach West.

Coach Bowden has done an amazing, AMAZING job of returning us to a level of national discussion. In 1998, there's no way we'd have College Gameday at Clemson, or multiple years of first-round NFL draft choices. The talent level is better than it's been in 15 years. The facilities have finally been ushered into the Modern Era. And we have signature wins against top-tier opponents and one #### of a fine memory of a Peach Bowl stomping of the Volunteers.

And by all accounts, we seem to run our program the "right way" - with a minimum amount of noise and clutter about the quality and character of our kids. As an alumnus twice over, that's very important to me. I'm a Clemson man first, and a Clemson football fan a very close second.

For all of these reasons, I have supported Coach Bowden vocally for the past nine seasons. I'm not embarassed to admit it, and I still think it was well-deserved. I think he has done amazing, amazing things with a program that had fallen way, way farther than we, as fans, care to admit (or remember).

So yes, I think we owe him a debt of gratitude, even though that opinion is surely an unpopular one on this painful Sunday morning.

But that's looking at his role in the history of Clemson football. It's looking to the past. This morning, I look at that talent, and those facilities, and the renewed national exposure, and the more appropriate question is "Can this Coach be the man to take us to the next level?" And, unfortunately, it just doesn't appear that the answer is yes.

I won't slam Coach Bowden. Because he's done a LOT for my alma mater. Because he's run a program the right way. Because he's accomplished a heck of a lot more than his two predecessors combined. Heck, you could make an argument that he's the third most successful coach we've ever had.

Have no doubt - Coach Tommy Bowden righted the ship that is Clemson Football and made it seaworthy again. But he's not the right man to be the Captain anymore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post, well said***

Oct 7, 2007, 9:24 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats all good, but football is a business and don't be

Oct 7, 2007, 9:36 AM

naive to the fact about Clemson football: we were going to take a turn with Bowden or someone else in '98.

The facilities would have been upgraded with whomever! I'm sorry but I don't buy into the fact that Bowden was responsible for the upgrades, they were getting done regardless.

As far as a good man or person for Clemson, I have to say : Yes!

A good coach: No!

Upgrades were not a given. He gave them the reason***

Oct 7, 2007, 9:41 AM

Re: I've long been a supporter of Coach Bowden.

Oct 7, 2007, 9:39 AM

I've been on many, many boards before and have never seen a post written as well as that! I know you don't care cause I'm a gamecock, but kudos to you for that post.

You and I share them same feelings about TB. Well written***

Oct 7, 2007, 9:42 AM

I am DEEPLY saddened. Great post.***

Oct 7, 2007, 9:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remain a supportive of TB. It will be a lot easier to

Oct 7, 2007, 9:46 AM

improve on what we have than to start over. TB has his
shortcomings but I DO NOT want another coach who cuts corners and wins at all costs.

Right on....great post... can't argue with it.***

Oct 7, 2007, 9:47 AM

I fully concur - thanks for writing what many feel ***

Oct 7, 2007, 9:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post. Through all my frustration, this sums up how...

Oct 7, 2007, 10:55 AM

I feel as well. Well written.

Replies: 10
| visibility 737
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic