Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wall Street Journal Article
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Wall Street Journal Article

Apr 24, 2019, 10:39 PM

Great article today on Christian Wilkins - “The Most Frugal Player in the Draft.”

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wall Street Journal Article

Apr 25, 2019, 3:21 AM

link.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2019, 8:35 AM

He managed to save around 10k while at Clemson by staying in a $300 dollar apartment, eating meals and snacks at the athletic complex. Smart guy hate to see him go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's More Economically Fit Than 98% of Coots***

Apr 25, 2019, 9:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2019, 9:16 AM

This article should be called "Smart student athlete makes the most of his opportunity"

So many articles that college players can't survive on stipends and mess hall. Wilkins not only capitalized on his opportunity to be successful at his profession, he saved money for the future, but who would want to present a positive narrative.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Wall Street Journal Article - Copy of Article

Apr 25, 2019, 9:45 AM

Forget the cliché about lemons and lemonade. Christian Wilkins can make lemonade out of thin air.
It’s true. At a restaurant, the former Clemson defensive lineman starts by ordering a glass of water. Then he asks for six lemon slices. He pours in a few sugar packets. Voilà! Free lemonade.
Wilkins has one of the biggest personalities in sports, but he boasts one of the smallest budgets. His lemonade trick is just one example of his world-class frugality, an approach he’ll take into the NFL after his expected first-round selection in the draft Thursday.
Wilkins’s radical approach to conserving money has paid off. While many students go into debt during college, he’s saved up more than $15,000.
“It’s simple: My mind-set is just, save a whole lot more than you spend,” said Wilkins, who won two national titles with the Tigers. “And I’m not ever willing to spend much. I’m very low-maintenance when it comes to my needs.”

Christian Wilkins runs the 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. PHOTO: MICHAEL CONROY/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Wilkins started by renting a $300-a-month apartment (“It’s nice down South cause it’s cheaper living,” he said) then spent as little time there as possible. That kept electrical and water bills down. Wilkins spent nearly every moment he wasn’t in class at Clemson’s 140,000-square-foot football-operations facility, eating most meals and showering there.
“I even brush my teeth here,” he said in a recent phone interview.
Wilkins didn’t have a car. He got around Clemson on a bike or got rides from teammates (though he did help pay for gas, he said). He didn’t use credit cards. He was on a family phone plan until recently so he didn’t have a monthly bill. He didn’t pay for music or phone apps. He wore team-issued clothes.
“My teammates know I’m the cheapest guy in the world,” he said.
An NCAA rule change in Wilkins’s freshman year helped his savings plan. It allowed schools to help athletes cover the full cost of attendance—including things like transportation and personal expenses.
For decades, athletics-related aid was limited to room and board plus tuition, fees and books. That limit, along with many players’ families’ modest financial means, made it common for even full-scholarship athletes to graduate in debt.
In the academic year just ending, Clemson athletes on full scholarship living off-campus received $1,532 monthly for the cost of attendance, room and board. Cost-of-attendance amounts vary by school. Early in his college career, Wilkins also received federal Pell grants for students with financial need, he said.

In the academic year just ending, Clemson athletes on full scholarship, such as Christian Wilkins, living off-campus received $1,532 monthly for the cost of attendance, room and board. PHOTO: RICHARD SHIRO/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Wilkins’s approach to budgeting was to segment his money into four Bank of Americaaccounts and follow a code for using each one.
He stocked the first account, for everyday spending like going out to eat, with about $150 a month. When that was gone, he stopped spending.
“My biggest weakness always is food,” said Wilkins, who is 6-foot-3 and weighs 315 pounds. “That’s like my only drug in life. But in my mind, I put that into a necessity.”
The second account was for rent and big purchases, like airline tickets. The third, in which he put roughly half of his monthly check, was for savings and investments. The fourth account was for emergencies. Having purpose-specific accounts helped keep him focused, he said.
“I feel like a lot of people just have one account, and they feel like ‘I want this, I want that,’” he said.

Christian Wilkins accepting the Campbell Trophy from NFF Chairman Emeritus Jon F. Hanson. PHOTO: BEN SOLOMON/NATIONAL FOOTBALL FOUNDATION
Wilkins grew up the youngest of eight children in Springfield, Mass., and said his family didn’t have much, but had what it needed—food on the table and one another. Wilkins can’t pinpoint how he became a super saver but said that over time he realized how little he needed to be happy.
He earned an undergraduate degree in communication studies from Clemson in 2½ years, then finished a master’s degree in athletic leadership in December. That month Wilkins also won the National Football Foundation’s Campbell Trophy, also called the “academic Heisman,” given to the nation’s best football scholar-athlete.
During college Wilkins became certified and worked as a substitute teacher, mainly in kindergarten and elementary school, for about $80 a day. In the NFL, his pay will be slightly higher: He’s in line for a $10 million to $20 million contract or more, depending on where he’s drafted.

Christian Wilkins earned an undergraduate degree in communication studies from Clemson in 2 ½ years, then finished a master’s degree in athletic leadership in December. PHOTO: CHUCK BURTON/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Pro athletes often find themselves bankrupt years after their windfall. Wilkins’s challenge, in contrast, might be spending enough money—he joked that he’s been “slightly hesitant” to invest in hiring a financial adviser.
He doesn’t have a budget for being in the NFL but said he admires former player Ryan Broyles, who said he lived on $5,000 monthly while in the league. Wilkins wants his future family to want for nothing, but said he’ll balance their desires with his penny-pinching instincts.
“I’ll be that guy still forever sneaking food into the movie theater,” Wilkins said. “But if I didn’t have time to run to the store before the movie, I’ll still buy that large popcorn.”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic