Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This years team reminds me of the 1981 NC team. Clemson was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

This years team reminds me of the 1981 NC team. Clemson was

Dec 8, 2023, 8:56 PM

expected to compete in 81 and in 2017 but in many games we have been sneaking up on our opponents. Like the 1981 NC’s we have been underdogs or on upset alert all season.

When it was announced in 1981 that #1 ranked Clemson would play Nebraska in the Orange Bowl all that I heard from the sports prognosticators was that Nebraska and Dave Remington their top D lineman in 81 would push Clemson around and that we would lose to the cornshuckers in the ?? Orange Bowl.

Now I hear that we are either going to be Sabanized, Baker Mayfielded or Bulldoged. Don’t believe all these analysts and prognosticators because they missed it in 1981 and IMO they are going to miss it again in 2017.

I am going with Dabo and Co, KB, our WR’s, RB’s, O-line and BV’s killer defense.

Clemson 2017 NC’s!

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This years team reminds me of the 1981 NC team. Clemson was

Dec 14, 2017, 6:53 AM

I agree except rimmington played center not on d line.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2017, 6:57 AM

You are correct my friend. It sucks when you mind and memory start to go. ?? lol Thanks for clearing that up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2017, 7:14 AM

I've been crying about that memory loss thing now ahhhhhhhhhh I forgot, maybe a couple of years now I think!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Remington, the senior Outland Trophy winner, got

Dec 14, 2017, 7:58 AM [ in reply to Re: This years team reminds me of the 1981 NC team. Clemson was ]

completely worn out and abused by some freshman called "The Fridge"!!!

That was my freshman year and a great way to start my heralded Clemson career!! : )

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2017, 7:08 AM

I’m with you on this ‘86, and remember from that season, as well. Funny, though, I graduated in ‘81, so I wasn’t ‘at’ Clemson for that season, but my old roommate was. We kept in touch, and I remember our conversation after we beat Georgia, and he told me how the ‘buzz’ and excitement ramped up in Tiger Town after that win, as most folks realized our team was on to something!

I gotta say, despite all ( or majority of ) the pundits, experts and other talking heads pontificating otherwise, ol’ Dabo has me believing in this team. I think they’re going to do it!!

GO TIGERS

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 14, 2017, 7:20 AM

I disagree with the " sneaking up on people " statement . We were too known , too talented and tje reigning national champions. You can't surprise folks with that kind of harware just 8 or 9 months later .
I agree that we are facing the same sort of doubts and " show me " attitudes that were there in 1981 . What is different is that the other coaches and players understand that Clemson is elite , and they'll have to play A+ football and catch a couple breaks to beat us . In 1981 we were viewed as a fluke , a feel good story . However , we're writing our own stories these days .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 14, 2017, 7:43 AM

Tigetdug23 ( no disrespect to you or your post ) but when I use the phrase sneaking up, I use it with these thoughts in mind. I think many teams thought we would struggle this year without DW. Many teams assumed we were in sort of a rebuilding mode with many young players. We lost Greg H a very realiable kicker before the season started. And as I hear every year Dabo is not a good X and O’s coach. We were expected win 9 or 10 games a most.

With all of these doubts about the 2017 team I believe we caught some teams by surprise until about midway through the season when the media, coaches and other teams started to realize the 2017 team is a really really good Clemson Team.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

Dec 14, 2017, 7:40 AM

Good call. Not sure about sneaking up on people, but I feel about these guys the way I felt about that team. Totally confident in the D, but always a little shaky with Homer - but he always figured out how to get it done and was a winner. I think of KB (undeserved) the same way, I was shaky in my confidence of him all season, but becoming a believer.

Dec 14, 2017, 7:45 AM

I agree except about 75% or people I’ve heard or read on the national scene have picked Clemson to win it all. We are getting respect going into the playoff

Dec 14, 2017, 8:05 AM

i've actually read where a lot of the talking heads are actually picking us to win it..

except most everyone thinks Clemson will repeat***

Dec 14, 2017, 8:10 AM

Re: except most everyone thinks Clemson will repeat***

Dec 14, 2017, 9:35 AM

Thank you for pointing out the glaring ommission that many posters in this thread seemed to miss ...

I know we here in T-Net land like to play the "disrespect" card, but I seeing a lot of articles/predictions of us repeating come CFP time!!

I think if anyone expected that 11 months ago, or in April post NFL draft personnel losses, they would be a "story teller".

Go TIGERS! Beat Bama!

The 81 team wasn't even ranked in the pre-season polls...

Dec 14, 2017, 8:27 AM

The team was coming off an 6-5 season the year before. No one could have reasonably expected Clemson's 81 team to have the miracle season that would later transpire. The 81 team pretty much "snuck-up" on everybody.

That was absolutely not the case for the 2017 team. While the team was not picked to win the conference or make it back to the CFP, they were ranked pretty high in everyone's pre-season polls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

When were we underdogs in the regular season?***

Dec 14, 2017, 9:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dec 14, 2017, 9:20 AM

We snuck by teams and played as underdogs a whole lot more in 2016. It's tough to underrate someone who just won a national title.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic