Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, Who Takes Donte's Place As The Starter ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

So, Who Takes Donte's Place As The Starter ?

Jan 21, 2018, 2:41 PM

They way I look at it, we got a smorgasbord of guys who could potentially start in his place. They each have their own unique strengths ... I reckon Coach B will rotate these guys in and out depending on what's needed at the given situation in the game ... and whoever starts does not necessarily mean your the best at the position, your just a chess piece in a great game of Strategery ... do you want the best defense guy to start at the beginning, the best shooter ... the best overall .... this is a period when Coach B's strategery and judgement calls will really be put to the test ... and EVERYBODY needs to rise to the occasion .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, Who Takes Donte's Place As The Starter ?

Jan 21, 2018, 2:46 PM

Aamir Simms

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2018, 3:02 PM

I think Skara starts in his spot as he has a very similar build and skillset on the defensive end. His offense is suspect, but so far I think he has been told to pass first and play defense when he is in. He has a good shot, maybe he will get the green light to open it up more on offense.

I think Simms probably splits time with Skara for now, see if he can earn the starting spot. This year they have been playing him in place of Thomas, and he lacks the height for the 5 spot I think. Maybe he can play more as a PF now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2018, 3:08 PM

doesn't really matter who 'starts", but it seems pretty obvious that DG's minutes get split up between Sims and skara. certainly, matchups and game situations will be a large part of how those minutes are distributed. i think the over looked question is 'who steps up to be the next guy off the bench"? We're going to need some minutes from someone like scott spencer, oliver or malik william

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am interested as well about who will be that guy...

Jan 21, 2018, 3:25 PM

off of the bench now between Spencer, Oliver, and Malik.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skara is a step and a half slower...

Jan 21, 2018, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: So, Who Takes Donte's Place As The Starter ? ]

Amir doesn’t have the experience. Amir will get the majority of the minutes because of his athleticism. We are in ‘trouble’ here. But let’s see what B.B. can coach us up to be. Also, this is an early look at 18/19 season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, Who Takes Donte's Place As The Starter

Jan 21, 2018, 3:22 PM

IMO, this puts a ton of pressure on Elijah who will need to be productive offensive AND defensively AND Stay out of foul difficulty. Brownell will have little choice but to make a 3 guard offense primary until possibly Sims---who has shown welcome improvement ---gets just a bit more experience and be able to handle frontline duty with Skara/Donnell who already have important roles.

Ya never know, switching up offenses might be a big help as the Tigers see a lot of teams for the second time

Snakebit---how many years out of the last 6 or 7 has Clemson gone missing its leading scorer/most important player? But here's where they draw the line between effective staffs and .....otherwise.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, Who Takes Donte's Place As The Starter

Jan 21, 2018, 4:05 PM

we've been playing a 3 guard offense all year.. gabe, 'quise, and mitchell. And DG was kind of undersized at the 4. He sometimes got "out bigged", but he was also a matchup problem for other teams with his handle and ability to shoot the 3. DG had a pretty diverse skill set. We'll have to make up for his loss as a team. can't expect a combo of sims and skara to put up the numbers DG had. Gonna need Eli, gabe, 'quise, and mitchell to all get another bucket or 2 and a couple more rebs a game to help make up the diff.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good thing is, we have more depth than we’ve had in the past

Jan 21, 2018, 3:29 PM

Bad news is, donte was the leader and was playing the most consistent of anybody on both sides of the ball. You can’t replace that. It’s gonna take a ton of good fortune to get to the tourney with our schedule.

I agree. I still think we get there due to...

Jan 21, 2018, 3:33 PM

what we have done. It will be shaky though. I am not expecting much when we do make it. I am still going to enjoy the season.

Jan 21, 2018, 4:12 PM

I would say Skara. Seems like he is a liability on defense at times and gets beat off the dribble a good bit, but he can extend the defense with his ability to shoot the 3.

I would think both Skara & Donnal would get minutes at the 4

Jan 21, 2018, 8:36 PM

spot, along with Sims. At the beginning of the year, BB said Skara was his best defensive player, by far. If he still thinks that, Skara will get the most minutes, at least for now. I know Sims hit a big three late in the game Saturday, but I don't think we will see much of that. If BB wants to spread the floor from the 4 spot, he will go with Donnal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Christian Wilkins***

Jan 21, 2018, 8:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sims***

Jan 21, 2018, 10:09 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm guessing Skara will start

Jan 22, 2018, 8:14 AM

but Simms will play more minutes per game than Skara

Jan 22, 2018, 8:33 AM

Skara will start and Simms will play a lot. I think we see more of Trapp, William, Oliver, and Spencer.

Jan 22, 2018, 8:40 AM

Spencer reminds me a little bit of Grantham last year. seems to have the skills but not the mindset to be a productive player

i'd like to see William and Spencer get some more minutes.

Minutes will be split between Simms, Donnal and Skara

Jan 22, 2018, 9:19 AM

depending on the matchup. I'd expect to see William possibly begin to get a few minutes behind Eli.

At UVA not sure how we handle things. Donnal is the best matchup on the offensive end as against that pack line defense, shot selection and taking care of the ball are at a premium. But UVA plays a quicker, undersized 4, so defensively, Skara and Simms are the better matchup.

Honestly, we probably struggle against them even with Donte, as we always seem to up there. We really need to be patient, shoot well and take care of the ball to have a chance

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic