Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC offenses. "Sub-Par" honestly. -B. Stoops
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 5,354

SEC offenses. "Sub-Par" honestly. -B. Stoops

Jul 21, 2019, 8:31 PM

As Bob Stoops said, ( paraphrased ) the SEC-ond does not play good offense. Shows very little imagination on offense and therefore the defenses in that conference look like world beaters!

Offensive minded Urban Meyer and Steve Spurrier at Florida made that conference look silly. They are both gone. The two spread'em out, up tempo OC's Bama had the last 1 1/2 made SEC-ond defenses look silly. See the theme! I honestly believe that's why Jimbo felt so confident going to A&M. And Chad Morris at Arkansas. Look what H. Freeze did at Ole Miss before he got in trouble. Owned Bama. Manziel and K. Sumlin could never play "complimentary football" along with their offense; otherwise they would have been SEC champs a couple times. YOu have to play defense and offense at a high level.

Most SEC-ond teams only play defense at a high level. Saban kind of changed gears last year b/c he knew he had to for recruiting. And b/c H. Freeze had been giving his team fits or beating them outright.
Malzahn at Auburn has possibly been a victim of - staying with the hits too long. I.E. his offense at one point was cutting edge; but now everyone is doing it. Despite him having better talent than most opponents; he can't win b/c he won't change.

Offense is ever changing and evolving! You don't see it being inovated and evolving in the SEC-ond conference. Tebow looked like a world beater in that conference. Got to the league and did what? Same question with Manziel? Same question with several other SEC QB's. They just don't develop'em like that.
The so called "lowly ACC" has - Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Phillip Rivers, Mitch Trubisky, Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, Mike Glennon and Daniel Jones was just the 1st QB taken in the draft. Duke. Heck, Jacoby Brissett is still in the league and started some games for New England.

No offense in that league and pound it 1st offenses. PLus, low scoring games makes the silly analyst think "this league is so tough"! Not so! Oh yeah, i'll give you the fan bases are rabid and mad, LOL! And they do have big stadiums. I'll give you that; but that's about it. How many QB's has N. Saban put in the league worth talking about?

Boring unimaginative offense league is what they should be called. BUO conference!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

been saying this for years. The league is terrible at

Jul 21, 2019, 8:34 PM

Developing QBs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: been saying this for years. The league is terrible at

Jul 21, 2019, 8:47 PM

TigerDominance® You would be 100% correct. Which is why their DB's despite being really talented often look lost when playing a decent QB. Look at what one time Clemson QB Chip Kelly did to Bama while he was at OLE Miss! Two wins I believe; and torched that secondary.

The question of physicality makes sense if all you know how to do is run it every down into a stacked box.

How did Kyler Murray and company score all those points on a "vaunted SEC defense" LOL?
Or Clemson?
Or Texas?
So on and on! Far more myth than fact when it comes to how good SEC-ond defenses are and teams in general are. Look no further than the low-rate they put out NFL caliber QB's. Someone will try and mention Dak Prescott - but nobody expected that. That all world OL didn't hurt and Ezekial Elliott to hand it off doesn't hurt either. J. Witten certainly didn't hurt things. Is he a guy or was it a fluke?

I forgot: Tyrod Taylor(VT) and Lamar Jackson(Louisville) again, the numbers suggest I am right. SEC-apologist or excuse makers will point to all this other junk. BUO conference QB's are just at a disadvantage in my opinion.

Dak benefited from the best OL and RB in the NFL his rookie

Jul 21, 2019, 10:58 PM

Year. He has regressed imo.

Of course the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense is more physical. It’s all teams like LSU and UGA can do. They are basically one dimensional against good defenses.

Bama gave up 300 yards passing to UGA ??.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dak benefited from the best OL and RB in the NFL his rookie

Jul 22, 2019, 7:48 AM

And the Citadel RAN for 350 yards against South Carolina. How's that for physical? 5.7 yds per rush.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 yds. & a cloud of dust is right!

Jul 22, 2019, 12:54 PM

I remember thinking "oh boy" they are really going to get physical with Oklahoma. What happened, "Okalahoma beat them"! Scoring 45 pts on the vaunted SEC-ond bama defense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Sugar_Bowl

I believe that was the year of the "kick 6"! Bama's excuse then was, "we didn't want to be there" and that's why Oklahoma beat us, bunch of babies!

What do you know, 2014 very close to this past season as you had two high profile SEC teams losing their final game to teams from "supposedly" inferior conferences!
The evidence is overwhelming - SEC equals - vastly overrated! Especially offensively!

You had me with the Chip Kelly thing for a second

Jul 22, 2019, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: been saying this for years. The league is terrible at ]

Wait, what? Chip Kelly played QB at Kelly? Ohhh... Chad Kelly...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You had me with the Chip Kelly thing for a second

Jul 22, 2019, 6:13 PM

You have to admit; you would have been highly impressed if Chip Kelly could have pulled that off at QB and coached at Oregon, LOL! My bad!

Re: SEC offenses. "Sub-Par" honestly. -B. Stoops

Jul 22, 2019, 1:04 PM

I think it's really hard in todays game for any defense to stop a really good offense led by a capable QB, especially if that QB is also mobile. Of course you'll find exceptions here and there, but it's become difficult in both college and the NFL.

Jul 22, 2019, 6:39 PM

Someone should remind him of what UGA's running game did to his beloved Sooners in the Rose Bowl. Nothing creative. Lined up and punched them in the face repeatedly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 6:55 PM

OP does make a good point though. I’ve always said that the sec is a good conference, they just aren’t as much better as espn will have you believe. It is extremely difficult to get a division-1 scholarship to play football. If I’m wrong, how come there are so many 6ft plus, athletic guys in our country who never sniffed an offer??? My point being: EVERY Div1 team has talent on the roster. Some have more than others, but the gap isn’t as huge as espn would like everyone to think it is.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 8:18 PM

I can't say how much better the SEC is than other confernces but I do think, across the board, they are better. The ACC has one top tier team, Clemson, and they are two touchdowns better than anyone else in the ACC. There are really two top tier teams in the SEC - Bama and UGA. It's the next level teams where I think the separation occurs. I think most would agree that, currently at least, LSU, Texas A&M, Auburn, and Florida are better than Louisville, NC State, or FSU.

Yeah, but Clemson is 4 touchdowns better than the best....

Jul 22, 2019, 8:29 PM

SEC team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jul 22, 2019, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC offenses. "Sub-Par" honestly. -B. Stoops ]

AFDAWG Thank God "they play the football games" and not go off "popular opinion"!
If they did like many of the trophies Big 10 schools have; currently just off the so called eye test people like you would give SEC-ond teams the nod automatically. But, Texas didn't care when they out-everythinged Georgia deep in SEC-ond country!

Just like 2014 when the two top SEC-ond schools lost "ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD"! Auburn and Alabama took L's and no eye-test in the world could save them.

FSU has taken a nose dive for sure.
Miami too.
VT as well.

But, all them have more recent championship history than the majority of the other SEC schools. It's Alabama or nothing. Georgia is good; but has the same mental make-up(compliment in sec-ond country) as Bama. They will make excuses and eventually quit if you put a little pressure on them.

Watermelon Teams - " big but crack easy "!

All a teams conference accolades can't help it once on the field. I understand Coach Stoops angle for sure. I still think Oregon beats Auburn if they had a typical SEC conference QB - instead of CAM. But, they did so watch this dawg fan - I give Auburn credit! Something most SEC fans don't know how to do.
With Cam being the exception in recent years - you aren't going to overwhelm anybody with the rest of the QB's who have won the conference title. They may have even won the NC; but it was probably mostly about good defense. I'll give them that!

Also, what measurable are you going by to make the determination of the 2nd tier SEC teams? Because if you say ranking; i'm out. Because the ranking to start the season is so political it's not funny. An overrated team gets a close loss and they remain ranked. Then that over ranked team plays another of the over ranked teams and wins and it's, "they beating each other up"! Meanwhile, other deserving teams get overshadowed. And not ranked.
7 and 9 are both more than 6 my friend. 7-5 last year in bowl games against various other conferences including SEC. And 9 - 3 in 2016 including a sweep of the SEC. I wouldn't as you say, "agree on that at all"!
Too many people have believed the propaganda hook line and sinker! And can't see the light.

Jul 22, 2019, 8:46 PM

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/1/2/14143834/bob-stoops-sec-sugar-bowl-auburn-2017

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/rankinfile/2017/06/08/rankin-stoops-talked-talk-walked-walk-vs-sec/379804001/

Dabo and company will retire with a: "SEC who"? Just like Stoops has.

Go tell that to all the coaches at S. Miss, Citadel, Mercer, Jacksonville St., Alcorn St, etc. That stuff don't fly here.

Take Two men out the SEC and it's average Joe conference: Saban and Meyer!

Then LSU had 2 losses in 03 and b/c of politics got a share of the title - what?

A playoff would have got them dismissed like they should have been. Thank goodness it's not up to the voters or the people who fall for all the hype about a team.
B/C i'll give'em that. They do have that over other conferences. But, that's it. The ACC for example doesn't take a back seat to putting players in the NFL. So guess what - good players in this conference. Can't say that.

Jul 22, 2019, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC offenses. "Sub-Par" honestly. -B. Stoops ]

That's a lot. Not sure what bringing UGA's loss to Texas has to do with my point about ACC and SEC teams. Just the obligatory UGA insult I guess. Equally perplexed by your reference to 2014. Not sure what that says about the current state of ACC and SEC teams. I'm sure when you typed it it seemed insightful to you. The ACC has the best team in the nation but the SEC had a winning record against the ACC last year. The ACC won four games vs. the SEC last year and Clemson won three of them.

Jul 22, 2019, 9:26 PM

Afdawg - you can't talk conference then try and go "numb" on the subject. Bringing up those years is just proof positive "we have seen this story before"! You know, "SEC fans act like they have unbeatable teams, yet it gets proven wrong time and time again. B/C based on the propaganda nobody else is supposed to be able to stay on the football field with them.
The whole notion of the ACC being as weak as you seem to think is i.m.o blown up when you look at: "ACC teams and Bama have been the only thing to beat Clemson in recent years"! I mean, you beating your chest for Bama beating a woefully awful Louisville team. Yeah, they are ACC. But, I am not into all the conference junk. You all bring it up when it's convenient then like you just did, try and get acute amnesia.

Must be the E SEC PN brainwash starting to lose it's effectiveness on you guys.

Georgia vs. Georgia Tech - another one you are getting credit for right! Come on man. But, 2016 you got swept. The point being AFDAWG - you got your "precious wins vs. Louisville and GT" be happy! But, it's not always the case. Oh, you got Louisville twice with Kentucky and Bama - two of the SEC's very best last year! It's not like they played S. Carolina or Vandy or Arkansas. If what Bama did makes you happy - and you seem like all the other brainwashed jokers who support "a conference". You live vicariously through the accomplishments of A - LA - Bama!

Sad!

Jul 24, 2019, 1:08 PM

When did I suggest UGA was unbeatable? I said the SEC, as a conference is better at the moment than the ACC. You're free to disagree with that. I don't even know what you talking about with Bama and Louisville stuff. I pointed out was the SEC's winning record over the ACC this past season with 3 of the ACCs' 4 wins being by Clemson. Those are just facts.

Jul 24, 2019, 1:17 PM

Afdawg - okay. You like facts. I don't care about the rest of the ACC honestly. The ACC doesn't get the trophy - Clemson does. We ACC fans understand that you see. Another fact is - Bama and Louisville played early season 2018 and folks acted like Bama had done something. NO. They didn't in fact a putrid Louisville scored 14 points on them for pete's sake. More than more than a couple of SEC teams as they got beaten worse than perhaps the worst ACC team last year did.

When you generalize - stop picking and choosing! You trying to single out the Clemson wins. But, you talking SEC in general. A&M, Bama and S. Carolina are all 3 different SEC teams - fact. SEC-ond conference teams are supposed to be "all that" so the theory went. The worst SEC team I was told could win the putrid ACC! Yet, it is a FACT your best in generations got blown out. The SEC's greatest team of all time got beaten by a lowly ACC team by Four Touchdowns!!!!!!

There are some facts for you!

Re: SEC offenses.

Jul 22, 2019, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC offenses. "Sub-Par" honestly. -B. Stoops ]

In all fairness AFDawg, Georgia is about the only team in the SEC that has a Qb who can throw a forward pass. TUA is okay, but I don’t think he’s is a franchise NFL QB. Behind him, there’s not much else. Oh, and everybody punches Oklahoma in the face, CU does it all the time.

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

Lol. Choklahoma and Baker Mayfield still flinch

Jul 22, 2019, 7:30 PM

whenever Clemson is mentioned.

Jul 22, 2019, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC offenses. ]

I'm not taking a position on how good Oklahoma is or isn't. I'm responding to the notion Stoops has - apparently - that SEC offenses aren't sophisticated. My point was that Georgia didn't have to be to rattle off 9.3 yards per carry.

Jul 22, 2019, 8:45 PM

Am I wrong that Clemson out rushed UGA last year? I haven't checked, just a feeling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 8:54 PM

They had 537 attempts and 3, 271 yards.

CU had 500 attempts and 3, 377 yards.

Including Marching on the team that treats them(Georgia) like a $2 street worker for over 10 minutes. Then b/c we took pity on them - took a knee!

SEC wins the talking season, again.

Jul 22, 2019, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC offenses. "Sub-Par" honestly. -B. Stoops ]

I think Clemson and the ACC should concede the talking season to the SEC.

I mean, they are undefeated in the talking season. Heck, we got a 3 loss Dawg on our board talking about the Dawgs being a top tier team. Really? Who has Georgia beaten in the last 5 years? Notre Dame by a point? Oklahoma by 6 or so in a last team with the ball wins game? TCU? C'mon, that's not talking season material. Not when you lost your last two games. Not when you choked in the 2 most important games of the last 5 years.

Here's the truth, Dawg:

As Bob Stoops so accurately observed, SEC OFFENSES SUCK.

Here's another way to look at it: No SEC team has averaged as many points in their last four games against Alabama as Clemson.

But what about those tough SEC defenses? Only 1 team from the SEC has given up fewer points to Alabama in their last four games than Clemson. Forget offense and generational QBs, the Clemson defense has been better against Alabama than EVERY SEC defense aside from LSU.

The grind in Alabama's schedule is not the SEC. It's Clemson.

Dragging three losses in one season into the summer and talking about being a top tier team is pitiful.
I mean, it's just pitiful. Sounds like James Franklin. Or maybe Harbaugh.

Dawg fan, here's what you need to do. Win your division. Win your conference tournament. Come to the CFP. Beat two teams. Then talk. You seem to have things badly out of order. BTW, Georgia, congratulations on your two game winning streak over Georgia Tech. Bravo for you. That makes you 3-2 over Tech in your last five tries against an ACC team. Good show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC offenses. "Sub-Par" honestly. -B. Stoops ]

And UGA's "SEC Defense" gave up 48 points.

We're not talking about how bad B12 defenses are. We're discussing how over rated SEC defenses are. Thanks for helping us make the point.

Jul 25, 2019, 12:51 PM

And, ironically enough in a thread about bad SEC offense; I just recalled the A&M vs. LSU game. The whole the defenses are too tough thing and we so good thing was telling in that game. 74 - 72.

74 - 72 yeah a bunch was in OT. 7 OT periods. But, don't sound like they play much defense either! LSU didn't score on Bama. A&M caught up on their home field when we were going through a QB controversy(internal at that point) and didn't score that much on us. Porous!

Jul 23, 2019, 8:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEzB4wI5t4w

Looks like most of them have "unreal expectations"! And, this was before the NCG! LOL!

Jul 23, 2019, 9:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwwiKyarQLk

This has been going on for a long time. This was going on 08-09 season too! This guy throws facts at'em and they can't handle it.

Seem familiar?

Jul 24, 2019, 10:31 PM

So I’m sitting here in an Oklahoma Casino drinking a barley-pop and watching a re-air of the Florida - Georgia game. It ESPN’s #13 best game of last season.

Georgia scores first with a field goal after a drive that took an eternity. .......Because they couldn’t throw the ###### ball. They were were in 3rd and 4 situations a few times and opted to run the ball. They didn’t make an attempt at mixing it up even once through that entire field length drive. That’s telling.

Don’t give me this BS, “they’re more physical “. No, they’re a physical run team because they aren’t very good at much else offensively.

Jul 24, 2019, 10:43 PM

Exactly!

Jul 24, 2019, 11:24 PM

My God, this is just plain bad football. It’s difficult to watch. I keep waiting for a forward pass and it just doesn’t happen. Even Florida under Dan Mullen will get in 3rd and long situations.......you know, obvious passing play........and the best they’ll attempt is a screen. Most any ACC team would at least attempt to throw it north and south.

But sometimes they’ll get really crazy and bring in the wildcat QB who.......surprise...........runs it off tackle.

SEC football is ####### horrible.

Replies: 31
| visibility 5,354
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic