Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions for VA tech fans and anyone else familiar with..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Questions for VA tech fans and anyone else familiar with..

Sep 22, 2017, 5:59 AM

Blacksburg area. My wife and I are making our first trip to area to see the game. We are looking for suggestions for reasonably priced dining and things we should experience while in the area. Are the leaves changing there yet? If so, we would love suggestions for viewing spots. Also, if you know of places to avoid, those suggestions would also be appreciated although I doubt there are any because I've never heard anything but positive comments about this area. Are there any special gameday traditions that we should know about? Also, do you have parking suggestions or parking no-no's that we should know about. All of yr fans that I've met in past have been great(including ones I met at ACC championship game last yr) and I look forward to seeing you guys next week. Thanks in advance and pts for good replies.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Re: Questions for VA tech fans and anyone else familiar with..

Sep 22, 2017, 8:10 AM

Leaves are not changing this early. Blacksburg is a pretty large area and there are lots of restaurants to choose from.

You will probably come up I-77. That's a good drive but the traffic can be tough at times. Lots of trucks. Game day traffic is comparable to Clemdon. Parking has always been a tough find for me. I always seem to walk for a long ways to the stadium.

I don't know of any 'traditions' that they have but perhaps they exists. Your experience with the fans are different from mine. They are comparable to the NCSU fans and that's not good. Hopefully the Tigers will jump on them early and keep the fans in quiet!

Good luck. Travel safely

Regarding the fans

Sep 22, 2017, 8:25 AM

There are two types of Hokie fans.

There are the long term local and older alum fans who experienced the pre-Beamer era of Hokie football. This group is largely similar to the Clemson fan base. They tailgate, they enjoy college football in general, they are passionate about their team but they are good hosts and will happily invite you to their tailgate or talk football with you.

Then there are the newer version of Hokie fans. Va Tech draws heavily from NoVa and the NE corridor. So you get a lot of the Northeast NFL mentality. Some of these are still good fans but some are like the philly fans that throw snowballs at Santa. I have found they are pretty harmless if you ignore them, but annoying nonetheless and it disappoints me that they've infiltrated what is largely a very good fanbase to go to a game with.

Re: Regarding the fans

Sep 23, 2017, 7:23 AM

+1 thanks for yr input

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Re: Questions for VA tech fans and anyone else familiar with..

Sep 23, 2017, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Questions for VA tech fans and anyone else familiar with.. ]

+1 thanks for yr input

Looking ahead may cost us the BC game.

Sep 22, 2017, 8:13 AM

I swear, I've never given a TD to a Clemson fan but if we lose this game I have one with your name on it. :)

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looking ahead may cost us the BC game.

Sep 23, 2017, 6:12 AM

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I'm not looking ahead to Va Tech game-I'm just trying to plan a trip to Blacksburg for the game. Dabo never looks ahead to a game beside the one in front of him, but he has the itinerary of of every trip for road games planned in detail way before the actual week of the road trip. If you wait till the week of a game for reservations for lodging,or for something someone tells you you should see, or some place you should dine until the week of game then they may already be full. This is probably my first and only trip to Blacksburg so I don't want to miss out on anything special that someone might know of because I waited too late to schedule. You are one of my favorite posters, so I hope you understand now.
+1 thanks for yr understanding

Message was edited by: Furious george®

Va Tech suggestions

Sep 23, 2017, 7:09 AM

Dining:
1. Palisades - in a small town of Egleston, VA. It is 20 minutes north of Blacksburg but in one of the best "leaf viewing areas". I love food and have been to all 50 states and 6 continents. In the top 5 restaurants I've ever been to. Get steak or trout and thank me later. Cascade Falls is pretty easy and spectacular hike nearby
2. Chateau Morrisette Winery Restauranr - 20 min south of Blacksburg on the Blue Ridge Parkway in a quaint artsy Bluegrass town called Floyd, VA. Wine is decent but very nice location and views and restaurant good
3. 622 North - good med-high end food in downtown Blacksburg w nice ambience
4. Bulls N Bones - south side of Blacksburg, Beamer is part owner, great BBQ/ribs/nachos. Huge place w half a sit down restaurant and half a bar w lots of big screens and pool tables. It is a microbrewery as well and has an ice bar.

Some others:
Cabo Fish Taco in downtown
Boudreauxs downtown (Cajun food good hurricanes with rooftop bar)
River Company (10 min west of Blacksburg over new river, microbrew more expensive but great views)

Avoid Farmhouse in Christiansburg (old famous restaurant but has changed ownership food is terrible and overpriced)

Re: Va Tech suggestions

Sep 23, 2017, 7:24 AM

Thanks for many great suggestions +1

Message was edited by: Furious george®

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic