Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nobody will say it, but I will regarding the VT game.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Nobody will say it, but I will regarding the VT game.

Sep 25, 2017, 10:58 AM

This game is meaningless big picture.

Of course we want to win every game. Of course winning this game allows us a "mulligan" later in the season. But, this game doesn't make or break the season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meaningless? I beg to differ

Sep 25, 2017, 11:02 AM

Maybe meaningless if your goal is to make it to the ACC championship game only, but even then, we may have to face this same team again, so losing Saturday would give them a successful game plan and some much needed confidence.

We still have several big challenges ahead of us on the conference schedule, and any loss is meaningful...particularly with FSU losing two games already.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big picture, all the goals are still on the table.

Sep 25, 2017, 11:08 AM

Please don't be the guy who says a 12-1 ACC Champion Clemson will get left out of the playoff.

We cannot afford a loss to NC St or FSU at this point.

Not necessarily saying that, but it could happen

Sep 25, 2017, 11:11 AM

What I am saying is you assume a lot if you are assuming that we win out after Saturday. VT would not be bad as an only loss, I agree, but no ACC team will make the playoff with more than one loss. That's a guarantee. The simplest way to avoid being a 2-loss team is to not lose one game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not meaningless because if we beat VT it leaves

Sep 25, 2017, 11:10 AM

open the possibility of losing to NC State or FSU later in the year and potentially still winning the division at 7-1. If we lose to VT we lose all margin for error the rest of the season.

Obviously, but we likely need to beat both FSU and NC St

Sep 25, 2017, 11:12 AM

because you don't want to be in a tie breaker situation in the Atlantic Division.

My point is that if you pick a game on the schedule to lose, you pick VT.

I think 7-1 could win the division out right this year

Sep 25, 2017, 11:18 AM

I could be wrong about State (mostly because their schedule is easy), but i don't think they are good enough to go 7-1. They will have another performance like the one against SCar at some point this year. FSU is already 0-1 and has to play Miami, Louisville, and Clemson. Louisville already has a loss and isn't good enough to run the table.

Re: Obviously, but we likely need to beat both FSU and NC St

Sep 25, 2017, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Obviously, but we likely need to beat both FSU and NC St ]

Wondering when if ever do you pick a game to lose? My understanding is you play to win not play to lose. Our Tigers are 4-0 with a plan to go 5-0 picking to lose at VT does not accomplish that goal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, are you saying You Play.. To Win.. The Game***

Sep 25, 2017, 11:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Nobody will say it, but I will regarding the VT game.

Sep 25, 2017, 11:11 AM

We also play GT, NCS, FSU and WF. So VT is far from meaningless even in ACC Atlantic chances. Everything counts.

You are correct. IF we were to lose a game, this is the one

Sep 25, 2017, 11:12 AM

that would not spell doom for accomplishing our goals this season. You would still be in good shape to win the conference, and since the loss comes early in the season, there's plenty of time to climb back up into the Top 4 by late November. With that said .... Go Tigers! Beat Hokies!

Sep 25, 2017, 11:20 AM

Leave No Doubt

When have conference games ever mattered?

Sep 25, 2017, 11:38 AM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: When have conference games ever mattered?

Sep 25, 2017, 11:43 AM

That's only ever taken place over in the SEC .

That's where it just means more .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I wish I could give you more than 1 TU.. haha***

Sep 25, 2017, 11:51 AM

null

Sep 25, 2017, 11:56 AM

Any golfer worth their salt doesn't even use a mulligan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trying to force an NFL mentality to college is awkward.

Sep 25, 2017, 11:57 AM

No games are meaningless here, which is part of the reason College Football is superior to the NFL.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 12:21 PM

It's hard for me to believe you're even considering the possibility of VT beating our Tigers. Who have they beaten and what have the accomplished in this young season that causes you to think this game will even be close? Clemson will win by 21, on their way to running the table and another ACC Championship and playoff birth. My prediction is we'll play Georgia for the Natty and win that one by 10. Back to back National Championships! And the first team to ever go 15-0! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic