Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New and Improved. Top 10 WR at Clemson since 1970:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 3,220

New and Improved. Top 10 WR at Clemson since 1970:

Apr 24, 2018, 11:23 AM

I do this every few years and people like Chansi Stuckey, Jacoby Ford, Airesse Curry, and Kevin Youngblood have dropped off the list.

This only includes Clemson career.

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Nuk Hopkins
3. Jerry Butler
4. Mike Williams
5. Terry Smith
6. Rod Gardner
7. Perry Tuttle
8. Aaron Kelly
9. Derrick Hamilton
10. Artavis Scott

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New and Improved. Top 10 WR at Clemson since 1970:

Apr 24, 2018, 11:36 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will agree that is a Top 3 all time catch

Apr 24, 2018, 12:14 PM

but Renfrow has one more year to make a case for Top 10... I would say that right now, Artavis doesn't make my list but Tony Horne does. Horne gets forgotten a lot but here is just a little bit about him:

In 1997: First-team All-ACC All-purpose player, second-team all-conference as wide receiver...first player in Clemson history to make first or second-team All-ACC at two positions in same year...ranked in the top 40 in the nation in five different statistical areas, only ACC player (in '97) to do that, only player in Clemson history to do that...

Horne was a baller, if you never got to see him play, you missed a pretty good one

https://youtu.be/UprbWtuifMQ

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great punt return against coots in 97.***

Apr 24, 2018, 12:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I will agree that is a Top 3 all time catch

Apr 24, 2018, 12:34 PM [ in reply to I will agree that is a Top 3 all time catch ]

Have you not seen Tay's stats???

sure, but I have actually seen both play

Apr 24, 2018, 2:12 PM

for me, Horne had the bigger impact on the team and a game than Scott and achieved all conference and national recognition when it was all about our tailbacks, namely Raymond Priester and Emory Smith... Horne could have been WR1 on a team with DeShaun as Qb, I don't think that AScott could be WR1 on a team with Nealon Greene, Billy Luckie, Brandon Streeter or Patrick Sapp as QB1...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: sure, but I have actually seen both play

Apr 24, 2018, 4:45 PM

Not saying that Horne shouldn't be in front of Tay but that Tay should be in the top 10 for sure. I don't remember those days as I am too young but I will take your word for it. Tay is not a number wr but he broke freshman records and had one of the best careers at Clemson outside of Sammy and Nuk.

the toughest part of an all-time list is the evolution

Apr 24, 2018, 5:05 PM

of the game and the impact of eras on each position... the west coast offense of Jerry Rice and John Taylor was only a precursor to what we have now with the spread offenses but in all honesty, those two guys are all-NFL but their skills are on every team now, rather than just a 1/3 of teams back then... I try to take the nature of the game into my assessments in these discussions. TScott was a great player for us for sure and is definitely in the all-time greats discussion...

Apr 24, 2018, 6:57 PM [ in reply to I will agree that is a Top 3 all time catch ]

I think Artavias holds the all time Clemson record for most receptions.

Apr 24, 2018, 10:22 PM

He does, but at 10 yards/reception, he's way off the career yardage lead... I would have thought that his yardage would have been higher

Apr 24, 2018, 10:00 PM [ in reply to I will agree that is a Top 3 all time catch ]

Horne was a baller for sure . Would have loved to have seen him in our current offense . Remember the FSU game where he dominated.

Apr 24, 2018, 10:00 PM [ in reply to I will agree that is a Top 3 all time catch ]

Horne was a baller for sure . Would have loved to have seen him in our current offense . Remember the FSU game where he dominated.

I know this is pro footage but THorne was one of my favorite

Apr 24, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: New and Improved. Top 10 WR at Clemson since 1970: ]

players at Clemson...

http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Horne-Returns-Kickoff-101-Yards/54592613-88de-4b77-8529-19b009b2b5bc

Re: I know this is pro footage but THorne was one of my favorite

Apr 24, 2018, 7:05 PM

Was that Dexter McCleon running with him into the end zone?

Re: I know this is pro footage but THorne was one of my favorite

Apr 24, 2018, 9:51 PM

Yes sir!!!!

Apr 24, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: New and Improved. Top 10 WR at Clemson since 1970: ]

Mr. reliability. His stats against "the greatest defense" in cfb over the past few decades, says it all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2018, 12:34 PM

Artavis should be atleast 6th imo. His starts are much better than Gardner's. I know it is a different game now tho.

But Dwight Clark

Apr 24, 2018, 1:44 PM

;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: But Dwight Clark

Apr 24, 2018, 2:14 PM

this is a tough list when DC gets overlooked... I also believe in recency bias. but for as much as I like Aaron Kelly, I could move him off to make room for DC...

Smiling is joking because like me, he knows DC only caught

Apr 24, 2018, 2:42 PM

around 30 passes while at CU.

Re: Smiling is joking because like me, he knows DC only caught

Apr 24, 2018, 2:52 PM

I missed the joke, but I still consider DC to be an all time great... maybe my enthusiasm more correlates to his pro impact but c'est la vie...

I feel like Perry Tuttle should be higher

Apr 24, 2018, 2:45 PM

given his contribution to Clemson winning its first national title.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I feel like Perry Tuttle should be higher

Apr 25, 2018, 12:26 AM

This video shows why Perry Tuttle starred on a championship team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlMKLfmiZlc

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry, but Hunter has to be in the Top Ten because of

Apr 24, 2018, 3:21 PM

the Playoff games alone.

I don't care if he never makes another catch, he should

Apr 24, 2018, 3:22 PM

still be on the list.

Maybe so, but Artavis Scott had more than a 100

Apr 24, 2018, 4:33 PM

more catches in 3 years vs. Hunter's 3 years, plus numerous clutch TDs (one against State in OT and Louisville in 2016 before the half).

Also, Scott threw the pick block ;) to free Hunter vs. Bama.

Not to mention his TD catch vs ND in the rain

Apr 24, 2018, 4:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS6wjOQxpiQ

Re: Maybe so, but Artavis Scott had more than a 100

Apr 24, 2018, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Maybe so, but Artavis Scott had more than a 100 ]

Yep Renfrow is as clutch as they come but Tay had a better career.

First of all

Apr 24, 2018, 4:45 PM

josephg proves right off the bat how tough it is to make this list. THIS IS WRU. Deal with it.

2nd of all, i think he did a great job with a tough task. And he also states something important: the list is always changing. Tee Higgins might be in the Top 5 before he leaves here. Hunter Renfrow might be in the Top 10 by next year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

That's a pretty impressive collection of talent.***

Apr 24, 2018, 4:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Apr 24, 2018, 4:58 PM

aaron kelly

He's on there at #8.***

Apr 24, 2018, 5:03 PM

Re: He's on there at #8.***

Apr 24, 2018, 5:08 PM

Sure is on there.... I missed it! He wasn't flashy but very prolific!

Fun stuff. I’d have to add Martavis and Hunter Renfrow

Apr 24, 2018, 5:17 PM

Remove Hamilton and Scott. And rearrange the order...of course.

Apr 24, 2018, 5:19 PM

most underused Humpries, seemed to always be open underneath

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2018, 5:24 PM

I'd put Hopkins over Watkins. Watkins's 2013 stats were slightly inflated because of the screen game that Hopkins was never really involved in. And as evidenced by their NFL careers so far, Hopkins is just a more complete receiver while Watkins's primary asset was his speed. Even without top end speed, Hopkins averaged over 17 yards per catch in that 2012 season and was always much more of a "throw it up and he'll go get it" guy despite not having Mike Williams-esque size.

Check out the stats for both Watkins and Hopkins

Apr 24, 2018, 6:40 PM

in their last games for us against Ohio St. and LSU. Mind boggling.

Can’t leave off Christian Wilkins...

Apr 24, 2018, 6:52 PM

Nm

Replies: 37
| visibility 3,220
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic