Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nebraska fires AD!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Nebraska fires AD!

Sep 22, 2017, 9:30 AM

Wow ..... I have a lot of friends in Lincoln and have seen lots of games in Cornhusker Stadium, but they are almost as big of a dumpster fire as Coot U. Their last 3 (or 4) head football coach hires are about as bad as you can get! Riley should have never been hired and should have been fired with the AD.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/20777039/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-ad-shawn-eichorst

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again?!?!***

Sep 22, 2017, 9:32 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Again?!?!***

Sep 22, 2017, 10:26 AM

He was so bad they fired him twice! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when Nebraska was like the......

Sep 22, 2017, 9:33 AM

present-day Alabama when Tom Osborne was their coach (of course lost to us in 1981 NC game).

But ever since he retired it's been a revolving door there - hard to explain why as that was always a Top 5 head coaching job.

Probably gonna happen to Clemson one day***

Sep 22, 2017, 9:35 AM

Re: I remember when Nebraska was like the......

Sep 22, 2017, 9:51 AM [ in reply to I remember when Nebraska was like the...... ]

> present-day Alabama when Tom Osborne was their coach
> (of course lost to us in 1981 NC game).
>
> But ever since he retired it's been a revolving door
> there - hard to explain why as that was always a Top
> 5 head coaching job.

Their big edge back in the day was twofold - they took massive advantage of the absence of rules regarding walk-ons, and would recruit a veritable army of cornfed 300-pounders...whom they would then throw into the weightroom and juice to the eyeballs. Considering they'd have 40 or 50 offensive linemen doing that, finding five that could dominate was not overly difficult for them.

Then of course they'd run the option behind that, and unlike today, there was no stigma attached to the system so they could get the top athletes in the country to run it...and they were assuredly recruiting nationally. Considering their guys tended not to get touched until they were ten yards downfield because of that thundering herd of elephants clearing the path ahead of them, dominating there wasn't hard for them easy. It actually got to the point that the NFL wouldn't even touch Nebraska RB's coming out of college because they had no idea whether or not those guys could actually play and they one and all tended to fail in the NFL; Nebraska's OL was just that dominant. I remember Seattle drafting Ahman Green in the third round (when he had clear first-round production in college) and everybody was still shocked he was a success in the NFL because none of his predecessors had been.

Then of course the NCAA got a boatload tougher on both walk-on numbers (you're only allowed 20 now) and on juicing, and somewhere along the way the option got made and became old hat as well, so the Husker program fell off a cliff.

Now Nebraska is just a fading program that can no longer recruit nationally and can no longer dominate at the LOS, so what they really are is a program with huge expectations that sits smack-dab in one of the most sparsely-populated and talent-poor regions in the country. I dunno really how you'd rewind to the glory days there again. In that they're much like South Carolina as well because there no longer is any kind of obvious path to success for them. (Not that South Carolina has ever had an obvious path to success.)

Nebraska's likely done as a superpower, and I don't see the glory days returning unless they just plain get somebody exceptional like our very own Dabo in there.

Sep 22, 2017, 10:25 AM

Quality post giving some good perspective/history.

The dude they fired sounded like a not so cool dude that was a major part of the woes (players takes).

Sep 22, 2017, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: I remember when Nebraska was like the...... ]

Pretty much nailed it Of course the big difference between them and our rival's dumpster fire is the trophy case!

funny comparing to Coot U as I believe the AD was a AAD at

Sep 22, 2017, 9:41 AM

UCS for McGee.......of course DRAD was too I believe

Re: funny comparing to Coot U as I believe the AD was a AAD at

Sep 22, 2017, 9:53 AM

As long as they stay in the B1G, they will remain where they are. Bad move for them.

Venables may get a call on the Neb Job...

Sep 22, 2017, 9:57 AM

He certainly understands the Geography and the recruiting lanes.....I hope he just wants to coach one side of the Ball, but this could be the gig that would pull him away.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Venables may get a call on the Neb Job...

Sep 22, 2017, 11:05 AM

Lincoln lacks 'Hills and a Lake'...and a linebacker by the name of Jake.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they are in a cycle that we have lived through before...

Sep 22, 2017, 10:13 AM

former National Power who hasn't won a conference championship in 20 years.

Any of that sound familiar?

Big Difference Is Clemson Is Close To Great Talent

Sep 22, 2017, 10:22 AM

We have access to an "embarrassing riches" all around us. We just didn't know how to get it and what to do with it when we got it..Nebraska is on a island and need to do a whopper of a selling job to get quality players to come there now..

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

plus they have lost their way with the linemen factory

Sep 22, 2017, 10:44 AM

they used to have......they have terrible Offensive line issues now.
Osborne used to have a walkon program that was the envy of every school in the country. That's gone.

I have a friend who lives in Lincoln and I asked him what happened to those old corn-fed beefy linemen that Nebraska was notoriously famous for. He said their personnel now were from Canada, California, Illinois....everywhere BUT Nebraska. Sad situation.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic