Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting article on Shakin the Southland on B-ball recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Interesting article on Shakin the Southland on B-ball recruiting

Feb 21, 2019, 12:07 PM

Interesting:
https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2019/2/21/18231423/deep-dive-into-brad-brownells-recruiting

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell hasn't figured out recruiting in 9 years

Feb 21, 2019, 12:12 PM

Doubt he will in year 10. Time to move on.

Re: Interesting article on Shakin the Southland on B-ball recruiting

Feb 21, 2019, 12:43 PM

Good article - thanks for posting. Brownell and his assistant coaches really need to do a better job of talent evaluation; perhaps learn some tricks from Dabo and Company.

Feb 21, 2019, 1:01 PM

This really should be a front page post. Tells you all you need to know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2019, 1:51 PM

Yes.

Both Barnes and Purnell's runs are dependent on finding a un-recruited NBA talent an riding that horse hard. Is that a way to build a program?

Here is the other issue. Both coaches left after these runs. So there was no "follow up" in a stable program to develop the culture. We have had to hit the hard reset button twice. So there is never a "gen 2" Clemson development.

Imagine is Dabo left in 2011... we had a breakout moment (at least an ACC title) and then poof, gone. That is what happens to Clemson.

Here is the other issue, particularly with Barnes comparisons... back in the 1990s, we were the "mid-majors". That has changed. You didn't have VCU pouring more resources into basketball than us. Now if you are a under-the-radar NBA talent, you are not going to a middle-pack major conference as you will as as much if not more recognition at a A10 or similar conference IF you are winning. With the new basketball realities, the "non-power" teams in a conference have become weaker (see bottom half of ACC, BE, PAC) as compared to the VCU/WSU/Zags. Tree or Buckley would be more likely to go to a Creighton, VCU, butler, or even UFGC. The mid-majors making runs deep into the NCAA is a result of this where that talent used to go to mid-level power conferences.

Not really

Feb 22, 2019, 10:12 AM

Barnes found really good college players in TMac, and to a lesser extent good role players like Christie, Jurkunas, Wideman and Iturbe.

OP guys like Rivers, Hammonds and Stitt.

None were NBA players. Almost all had significant impact as freshmen. Brad has had almost zero impact from incoming freshmen

Really interesting article

Feb 21, 2019, 9:35 PM

Feb 22, 2019, 12:00 AM

Thank you for posting

Feb 22, 2019, 10:00 AM

I rest my case. Exactly what I have been saying for four years. Do you now believe the truth Judge Keller man.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic