Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I want to say a few things and ask a question regarding The
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,263

I want to say a few things and ask a question regarding The

Jun 21, 2018, 1:17 PM

Hill

First off, Death Valley and The Hill, specifically, looked "sickly" last year. I couldn't believe my eyes at times when I looked over at it compared to what I was used to saying over the years--the beautiful sight of that sacred area of grass filled in with orange. It was especially hard to believe what I was seeing considering the heights that the program had reached.

Second of all, one of the most unique and treasured qualities Death Valley has had throughout its history is the "home field advantage" that it generates. What I am referring to is the atmosphere, and most of all the noise. Especially at full throat. Its been there in the good years and even the more lean years most of the time. Think about it, quarterbacks backed up near the hill on a critical third down or sometimes even on first and 10, backing away from the line and hurriedly trying to communicate with their backs, linemen, and even centers. That's what Death Valley is all about folks. Well, this certainly wasn't a sight we saw last year with a bunch of green grass behind their backs!

Finally, I wonder if the, and again, I'll call it "sickly," hill didn't hurt recruiting just a hair. That may not be the case, I may be wrong on this one - but I'm not so sure. I do know this, it ###- sure didn't help!

All of this leads me to my questions: Why in the world did our administration/athletic dept go messing with it in the first place??? How could they mess up something that's so fundamentally such a big part of Clemson football and Death Valley???!

I don't mean to overstate this, but this situation we have had with the Hill the last year or two really needs to be corrected! And soon.

Death Valley is not the same without it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't the Hill used to be a picnic area where kids

Jun 21, 2018, 1:26 PM

could slide down on cardboard ?

Or was that just the Tommy West years ?

I say take it from the students and give it back to the kids.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO. For 40 years, The Hill was just the empty space where

Jun 21, 2018, 3:34 PM

no one but the kids wanted to hang out.

It was simply "general admission" available to anyone. It would only get crowded during the off years when South Carolina visited or when some marquis name like Alabama or Notre Dame came to town.

Until we started playing SCAR home & home, virtually no one over the age of 12 ever sat on The Hill.

Students didn't begin to occupy The Hill on a regular basis in any great numbers until the early 1980s.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't the Hill used to be a picnic area where kids

Jun 21, 2018, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Didn't the Hill used to be a picnic area where kids ]

Obviously you young folks weren't packed on the hill with hubby and I in 1977 to see #5 Notre Dame with Joe Montana, pull out a squeaker against Steve Fuller, Dwight Clark, and the Bostic boys of the #15 ranked Clemson Tigers! The most exciting football game that I ever saw until the 2015 & 2016 national championship games.
Believe me you couldn't have gotten another student on the hill with a shoe horn.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I recall sitting at the top of the Hill in 1981

Jun 21, 2018, 1:37 PM

when we opened with Wofford. Maybe it was because my daughter was young but I thought I remember the hill being pretty full then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I recall sitting at the top of the Hill in 1981

Jun 21, 2018, 2:02 PM

It was definitely full then, I was always about midway.

Re: I recall sitting at the top of the Hill in 1981- Thanks

Jun 21, 2018, 2:49 PM

for confirming. I think I remember seeing you there. But Pokey didnt show up for that game did he?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I want to say a few things and ask a question regarding The

Jun 21, 2018, 1:48 PM

Coming from a student, last year’s ticket system was a joke. Whatever new system they put into place this year probably has a high priority on filling the hill and making sure people don’t waste tickets

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2018, 2:09 PM

Apparently. the Board of Trustees has heard the complaints and has "suggested" to the AD that we don't want to see green grass during the game, we want to see a hill full of Tiger fans. And to that, I'll add a loud AMEN !!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2018, 2:12 PM

To suggest the hill hurt recruitment is a stretch of a demented mind

Have you ever heard of the Deshaun Watson effect?***

Jun 21, 2018, 2:59 PM

Jun 21, 2018, 4:12 PM

When a Sovereign Entity fears someone dialing ate-ate-ate-ate-ate-ate-ate this is the kind of BS that happens. When the people that Shakespeare said should be eliminated from society are allowed to control the system, well, lets say they should be shackled...And the vermin that seek them out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2018, 4:18 PM

with the right enticement, anything could happen. Serve beer at the Hill area.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2018, 8:37 PM

To underaged college students. The Hill will be packed hours before game time.

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,263
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic