Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Finebaum admits the SEC is no longer the best conference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 3,580

Finebaum admits the SEC is no longer the best conference

Sep 22, 2017, 12:45 PM

He doesn't say who is the best conference, but I think we can all assume we know what he's getting at.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/paul-finebaum-admits-sec-no-longer-best-conference-time-tell-truth

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Finebaum admits the SEC is no longer the best conference

Sep 22, 2017, 12:58 PM

There really aren't any great conferences this year. The ACC was a murderer's row last year but the conference collectively graduated a ton of great players, especially QB's, and most haven't replaced them well. (I don't include Clemson in this!)

Whatever, the ACC is way down from where it was in 2016 as well, for what it's worth.

But yeah, the SEC is a dumpster fire right now. Auburn and maybe Mississippi State are the only teams that look like they could even remotely maybe challenge Alabama, and I guess we'll see about Mississippi State tomorrow against Georgia.

I honestly just look out right now and see an absence of good football. Dunno why that is. The Pac-12 has Washington and maybe a re-emerging USC team, and then a whole lotta garbage. The Big 12 has Oklahoma and Oklahoma State - your usual high-octane-offense/no-defense Big 12 squads - and then a whole lotta garbage. The Big 10 has Michigan/Ohio State/Penn State - none of which except maybe Penn State look particularly scary this year - and then a whole lotta garbage. SEC has Alabama and maybe Auburn and Mississippi State...and a whole lotta garbage.

ACC has Clemson and maybe FSU and VT...and a whole lotta garbage. But the quality drops off a cliff once you get past the Top 10-12 teams in the country or so.

Considering just last year there were 5-6 pretty durn good ACC squads, that's a big dropoff. No clue why, could just be cyclical.

Sep 22, 2017, 1:01 PM

I agree, it's hard to point to any conference right now and declare that one to be the best. That's really probably the way that things should be. Tell that to South Carolina fans though who act like every SEC game is between two top 5 powers.

Sep 22, 2017, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Finebaum admits the SEC is no longer the best conference ]

I would not call Miami, GT, UL or WF garbage. All are decent teams

Sets up well for the Tigers to make another CFBNC run.***

Sep 22, 2017, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Finebaum admits the SEC is no longer the best conference ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2017, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Finebaum admits the SEC is no longer the best conference ]

I share your view, completely. There are only a few 'haves', quite a few 'think they haves', and a whole bunch of 'have nots'.

In my view, it's coaching in today's social media-driven world and how they do or, largely, don't connect with athletes. The Tiger staff insists on massive amounts of accountability, merely to receive a commitable offer, much less the standards they must uphold once in school. Those players want more from life than just football and represent their parents and families who reinforced those pursuits until arriving at Clemson. Be responsible to yourself and your team...or pick another school...work hard...no excuses...no doubt.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2017, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Finebaum admits the SEC is no longer the best conference ]

NC ST losing to Usuck did hurt. VT is still good. We dont really know about Miami. We will find out more about FSU this weekend. We are a solid team. Louisville didnt look great against Purdue but played good when it mattered. UNC losing to Cal hurt but Duke looks very good. We will find out more as the year goes on. GT should have beat Tenn but that looks bad as well.

conference talk is for sec pin heads

Sep 22, 2017, 1:12 PM

Conferences dont compete. I dont care. Which conference is best dorsnt ever get answered.

Clemson is the Champion. That is a fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just want to be the best Team. Leave the conference debate

Sep 22, 2017, 2:13 PM

to those watching us win Playoff Games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Sep 22, 2017, 2:29 PM

The truth is, for a decade the BCS was preseason loaded with SEC teams. None of which played anyone out of conference with a pulse. No matter which team won in a conference game the BCS would switch them up and down without putting them out of the top 25.

It bore heavily on the AP voters especially since ESPIN was pumping the SEC beyond reality. The SEC got the limelight on ESPiN which just happened to be the source of most articles written on college football. ESPiN developed multiple metrics which they presented as facts which proved the SEC was best.

It spiraled upward and outward, larger than reality until the bubble burst. People started cutting the cable, deserting ESPiN which put ESPiN in the red. Disney made some huge changes within their subsidrary, ESPiN, and the football schools decided to desert the BCS and move to a playoff format.

ESPiN got in on the ground floor of the playoffs but couldn't manage to bullchit the playoff committee into seeding multiple SEC teams. Even the new metrics they developed failed to sway fans to believe their SEC hype. ESPiN deserted the goal of pushing the SEC but not because they wanted to, they had to because the sports viewers could see the truth due to the SEC being forced to play worthy out of conference teams to build a real SOS.

Imo, the playoff committee has done an excellent job for the most part though the OU and OSU should neither have been in the POs.

Everything described above is motivated by economics.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 3,580
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic